It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

REAL ID now a reality

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I didnt see anyone talking about this, which surprised me, but I think its pretty important so Ill start a thread.

The REAL ID act took effect on May 7, 2024. As of that date, you can no longer fly within the US without one of the new federal Real IDs or a US passport.

www.dhs.gov...

So now if you want to fly, its "Papers, please". Not only will this be a major inconvenience and even financial burden for a number of people, I think its unconstitutional. This has been a major concern for a number of people, yet very little opposition and fight, which I find disturbing.

www.desertsun.com... 02/
aviationweek.com...
www.aei.org...
iapp.org...

Not only is this another violation of our rights courtesy of the patriot act, this is also going to cause some problems for the aviation industry which is already in trouble from other issues. Many people are going to decide its more hassle than its worth, and either stay home or travel via train, car, or bus. Im one of those people who is likely going to be taking trains to visit relatives, even though its going to be more time consuming. But since 9/11 and the Patriot act, flying has already become an uncomfortable, tedious affair involving long lines and privacy violations with their full body scan machines. How long before train and bus travel also requires federal papers? Controlling the movement of people is one of the first steps towards a totalitarian government.

They claim its all in the name of security and fighting terrorism but in reality its not going to be as effective as they claim. Its just another excuse to violate our rights.

dailytitan.com...

www.nextgov.com...

Remember, most of the 9/11 hijackers entered the US legally. Its all a big fraud.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: burritocat

Not sure where you are coming up with this becoming a "financial burden" for people?

Can't speak for other states but, when it comes to the Real ID in my state, there is no additional cost. The only difference is you have to provide one or two extra documents when you go to renew or get your DL. Documents that, if you are a US citizen, you will already have on hand at home.

Sure, the passport can be somewhat expensive. But, if you are not flying international, you can get the passport card that I believe only cost me 40 bucks, maybe a little more now, maybe less.

The people saying this will be a financial burden are probably also the same that buy a brand new $60k+ car and then run around on temp tags for years stating "it's too expensive to tag my brand new car".

And, at the same time, like you said, if you don't like this then don't fly. It's almost cheaper to drive anywhere in the country anyway. Plus better site seeing and you can support more local mom and pop shops that you pass by on your travels.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I don't know about this; I'll have to give it some thought.

My first thoughts were, "no big deal" and "it's probably for the best". Why for the best? Last numbers I've seen indicate that 14% of the US population is foreign born. There's every reason to believe that a high percentage of those are bad actors. Another reason it may be for the best? Because a large percentage of the US population is a danger to themselves or others. Be that from insanity to criminal intent to mentally unhinged to drug dependent to emotionally unbalanced. We see the results every week with reports of people losing their minds and attacking airline passengers and/or crews.

People winge on about their "rights" and "constitutionality" but really, those concepts were meant for a different time; a time when the borders weren't open, a time when a significant percentage of the population wasn't drug dependent, mentally unstable, or interested in committing random acts of violence.

Truth be told, the real problem with airline travel, other than Boeing, is that it's far too inexpensive to fly. Thus the airlines have become Greyhound Busses in the sky, filled with all the worst the US society has to offer. That really needs to change.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 02:07 PM
link   

We have yet to update our Drivers Licenses locally in our state to comply with the New Directives.

We don't plan on flying anywhere, because air travel these days is a freaking nightmare, but we might have to drop into a Federal Building at some point to take care of business.

When we were first exposed to the Real ID concept in the 90's in school, I used to sit in the back of the class designing a card that would be, in my opinion, absolutely awesome. Your medical history would be on it in case of an accident to help facilitate care and treatment by first responders and all sorts of bells and whistles and fancy holograms to rally make having an Offfical Citizen ID being a point of personal National Pride.

Then I started having arguments with folks talking about how to reverse engineer the chips and screw everything up because "the government is evil and out to get ya" and "trust no one" because they're so freaking paranoid about everything because they have an absolutlely fundamental misunderstanding about how things COULD work because they're still living in a fear based state of paranoia from bad programming and mistrust of everything under the sun.

It's sad, and I'm not trying to say that the Halls of Government dont' have their issues, personally I'd make a lot of changes myself and make it more efficent and less wasteful, but we're strapped for space so I won't go into the whole thing here.

The sad thing is the regular casual Americans who have more insight into how things could work are so overwhelming trying to get through to the doofuses in charge of operations, but we're so divided about how to go about it that we keep getting distracted and arguing instead of being stoics, putting our passions on the backburner and working towards making things better instead of constantly getting into ideological battles and getting offtopic all the time because of bull# bills designed to hold viable programs hostage in order to fund pork barrel bull# for private agendas.

Modern Liberals are too wasteful and ideologically unhinged trying to save the world that they overlook reality, and Conservatives are absolutely fed up with their wasteful bull# and irrational totalitarian policies.

I know I went off track, but right now I'm still fuming that I'm still waiting on a badass National ID and have to waste my meger and hardearned money on a Real ID locally that is nothing more than a stupid little gold star added to the card that can easily be forged by those with the means at their disposal. More government waste.

Billions for wars though.

We're America, dammit. We can do better. I want my goddamn Multipass.

Gen X out.

edit on 5/10/24 by GENERAL EYES because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/10/24 by GENERAL EYES because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Why bring this up now? My state did this several years ago when I renewed my driver's license. Just a couple of extra documents and no extra charge.

You can't get a driver's license in the USA without having the paperwork for the real id. It is just your state issued driver's license now. The future renewals will be just normal renewal now that the paperwork was done once.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Most states have complied with the Real ID act. You can thank the Republicans and Bush for this. They wanted to limit illegal immigrants from voting. So pick your battles.

ballotpedia.org...

The REAL ID Act of 2005 was introduced as HR 418 in the U.S. House of Representatives by Representative Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.) on January 26, 2005. Its stated purpose was to "establish and rapidly implement regulations for State driver's license and identification document security standards, to prevent terrorists from abusing the asylum laws of the United States, to unify terrorism-related grounds for inadmissibility and removal, and to ensure expeditious construction of the San Diego border fence."[4]

The House passed the bill by a vote of 261-161 on February 10, 2005. The text was then added as Division B to the end of HR 1268, which passed the House 388 - 43. The bill then passed the Senate by a vote of 99-0 on April 21, 2005. HR 1268 was then moved to conference committee; the House agreed to the conference report 368-58, and the Senate agreed 100-0.[5]

President George W. Bush signed the legislation into law on May 11, 2005. It was set to be implemented in multiple phases over several years.[5][1]

And all states already comply.

www.dhs.gov...

You can look at the map to see.

If you license has a star in the upper right hand corner. It's already compliant.

edit on 2Fri, 10 May 2024 14:13:50 -0500America/Chicago24580 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2Fri, 10 May 2024 14:14:23 -0500America/Chicago24580 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

Not sure where you are coming up with this becoming a "financial burden" for people?

Can't speak for other states but, when it comes to the Real ID in my state, there is no additional cost. The only difference is you have to provide one or two extra documents when you go to renew or get your DL. Documents that, if you are a US citizen, you will already have on hand at home.

Sure, the passport can be somewhat expensive. But, if you are not flying international, you can get the passport card that I believe only cost me 40 bucks, maybe a little more now, maybe less.

The people saying this will be a financial burden are probably also the same that buy a brand new $60k+ car and then run around on temp tags for years stating "it's too expensive to tag my brand new car".

And, at the same time, like you said, if you don't like this then don't fly. It's almost cheaper to drive anywhere in the country anyway. Plus better site seeing and you can support more local mom and pop shops that you pass by on your travels.

You are completely missing the point here. For starters, the cost varies from state to state, but even the cost is a minor issue compared to the violation of privacy and overreach of the federal government. You are hallucinating if you dont think this is going to become a federal database of American citizens. And if you think that this isnt eventually going to apply to trains and buses, youre dreaming. Not everyone can afford to drive to a destination, or even own a car. It isnt cheaper to drive long distances when factoring in the total cost. Driving down to visit my brother in Southern California was a two day trip each way and cost me alot more in gas and wear and tear on my car than a round trip plane ticket would have cost me. And I travel cheap, loading my car with road food and beverages and sleeping in my car at rest stops. Still cheaper to fly. On top of that, not everyone has a car or can afford a car. There are lots of people that cant drive themselves. And then there is the issue of time. Not everyone has the free time to drive. If you only have a week of vacation and you want to visit your family who live a three day drive away, it becomes unfeasible.

Its another example of the state creeping more and more into peoples lives, to control the movement of people, and people being cool with it. I find it disturbing.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 02:24 PM
link   

going to become a federal database of American citizens

I would love to have some of what you are smoking

There is already a federal database for us.

Your name is in the system form the day you are born.

A Real Id is nothing more than your DL. Do you not understand that? If you have a DL you are already in their system.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3

Why bring this up now? My state did this several years ago when I renewed my driver's license. Just a couple of extra documents and no extra charge.

You can't get a driver's license in the USA without having the paperwork for the real id. It is just your state issued driver's license now. The future renewals will be just normal renewal now that the paperwork was done once.

This is not entirely true. My license was renewed in 2017, and its not Real ID compliant. Its not an enhanced ID, so there are still IDs issued that are not compliant with this. The enhanced IDs cost more and require extra paperwork.

I bring this up now because you can no longer fly with a normal drivers license and ID, but must have the new ones.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

Well you have to have a social security number to get into pre school now, much less a driver's license. The government issues social security numbers pretty much at birth now from what I understand.

I don't know what the op is going on about ether. There is no hiding form the USA government any more.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Mine is not compliant. As are alot of other peoples licenses.

While Bush and the Republicans were the most for this travesty, we can also thank the Democrats in congress because they also voted for the Patriot act, too, and have even supported and voted for extensions. Its a bipartisan violation, and there have been numerous opportunities to rectify the situation by either party, but this has not happened.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I moved to a different state I have a very common name , In order to get A DL I had to get multiple States to send State Stamped letters saying "I was not the guy" It was a nightmare Took me a year to get my DL renewed . Still waiting on my Passport . Anytime I want to fly the counter person says "We need to make a call"

It's Bull

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: burritocat

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3

This is not entirely true. My license was renewed in 2017, and its not Real ID compliant. Its not an enhanced ID, so there are still IDs issued that are not compliant with this. The enhanced IDs cost more and require extra paperwork.

I bring this up now because you can no longer fly with a normal drivers license and ID, but must have the new ones.

What state are you in and how did you get exempt.

I had about 8 or 10 document options and had to provide 3 and your social security card. I had my birth certificate, a bank statement with my address and a pay check stub. The only problem was their fax machine had a time with my SS card as it was laminated. They had to fax the documents to the state capitol.

I think you are mistaken about your state using the real id system.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I've had a Real ID for years.

Originally this was supposed to go into effect OCTOBER 2021. And they kept putting off the timeline for compliance.

Almost four years later, here we are.

Oh, in case you didn't know, Congress passed the Real ID legislation in 2005. No kidding.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Meh. I got the real ID last time I renewed my license. Wasn't a big deal. My only hope is that I will no longer need additional documentation for ID when starting new employment like a social security card or birth certificate since that was already confirmed with the issuance of the real ID

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I'm all for it! If people want to live in this country, and more importantly vote in this country, (and collect welfare, and about 50 other things which WE the taxpayers pay for), then you need to have verifiable ID. The old system was easy to forge documents under, which forced people to have to carry even more documentation.

Not being able to afford it is just an excuse. An excuse for not getting it. If affordability is truly an issue, I'm absolutely certain we can come up with some public assistance mechanism to make this happen. Heck, people on public assistance can eat lobster, so why not Real ID?? No excuses. Period.

Government overreach? Perhaps, but the states f'd it all up, and now the federal government can 'F' it up even worse, but at the concept level...I am all for it!

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

TextCan't speak for other states but, when it comes to the Real ID in my state, there is no additional cost.

There's a $30.00 fee at the DMV in my state to get the 'enhanced ID'. For people on a fixed income who are feeliing the pinch from inflation that's one 'luxury' many will have to forego....until it becomes mandatory for entering some public places and eventually banking.

They only turn the screws a tiny bit at a time as they herd us towards the future. Just look back to the original Patriot Act and all the things that have been added since it's inception.

Looking at Agenda 2030 and the WEF goals, there aren't all that many pieces to totalitarian rule left. We're almost there, folks!

ETA: I see an Enhanced ID card is free in my state; they only charge $30.00 if you want an EID drivers license.

ETA #2: Forgot to mention none of the illegal immigrants Biden has been allowing into the country-even the ones he's flying in under the radar in the middle of the night-need any sort of ID whatsoever.
Brandon makes me feel like a red-headed step child.

edit on 1/1/1908 by nugget1 because: eta

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Identity theft in the United States

Unfortunately, freedom to not have to show some sort of consistent secure proof of identity, is freedom to be defrauded.

Remember the allegations that voting was rigged? Imagine if there was a way to ensure that everyone was legitimate when they voted and that they only voted once.

Proof of identity is not government overreach. It is a requirement for a fair society.

edit on 2024-05-10T15:42:40-05:0003Fri, 10 May 2024 15:42:40 -050005pm00000031 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Well you don't have a choice. Your next license will be a Real ID license when your current one expires. You'll have to prove your citizenship and address in order to renew. Just like the rest of us. This is done to keep illegal immigrants from getting driver licenses. A win for those Republicans in office that are terrified of illegal immigrants.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I remember when you could pay cash for a flight at the counter and any with the ticket could just walk on the plane.

Hell kevin mccallister flew all the way to New York by accident.

But they have been tracking us on flights for a lot longer than May 7, 2024.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join