It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racist KFC Ad in Australia

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by cmongo4

This was totally off-topic and did not even deal with the subject in matter.

This video just only proved that this stupid show only wants to incite race related problems. The host even contradicts himself calling out australians for making a racist ad and then goes ahead to stereotype them. Uh how much more stupid do they want to come off as.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69
I’m an Australian white girl, my mother’s best friend is Chinese, and we always celebrated 2 new years.
My best friend came from an Italian background. Growing up we lived in a town that was multicultural. I can’t think of a race that didn’t live there. My ex-husbands family is aboriginal. My children have aboriginal blood. I also lived in the territory for 7 years, many cultures there as well, you walk down the street in any of these places and you say G’day to anyone you pass. That’s why people from all backgrounds want to come to live here, because we don’t give a crap what colour skin you have, everybody will still say G’day. That’s the aussie way, we care mostly what team you barrack for, and all aussies (yellow black white, cream and any colour you can think of) will jokingly bag you for barracking for the opposite team that they barrack for. And as true aussies, we love it that we get to have every public holiday, every celebration from every other country. I love Australia for all the people in it.
If I don’t like you, it’s not because of the colour of your skin, it’s because you’re probably a dickhead.

Do they still refer to people of non-white skin and from southern europe, eastern europe and middle east WOGS. Do they still do that? Also as your ex husband being aboriginal and your kids having aboriginal blood, how did he and his kids feel about the treatment of the aboriginals in Australian history and even up to today. I mean having your people moved out of there territories and onto reservations essentially have to be bad, on top of the program of taking away the children to make them more european and essentially being abused. And not to mention the whole history of masscres done to the Aboriginals starting with the 1830's BLACK WAR which essentially was genocide, it killed off all full-blood Tasmanian Aboriginal population on that island. But to give you credit you tried and turned around much of the damage that was done. I love Australia, I love it's people and the country and the beauty of it all. As with all countries there will always be strife of some form or the other in regard to ethnic issues (some worse than others). And the two that come to the top is the centuries institutional slavery of Africans in America and then the continued disenfranchisement of them until the 1970's. Also the attempt at genocide of the Jews by the Nazi's which left at least 6 million dead in europe.

You want to know why some people are so sensitive to the images or words or as everyone say as an epitaph PC of subjects. It's because some groups of people saw the extreme of what intolerance can lead to if it isn't controlled and kept in check. Why do the concentration camps from europe still stand? Why do black Americans see racism (as some would say under every rock when it may or may not be racism)? Why Why Why? It's because if the camel nose gets under the tent, the rest of the body will follow. It always starts as something small or not important, but then ends up as a montrosity that is killing and maiming people. Those places and attitudes are around in order to keep in check the dark places of human nature. Those camps where kept in place after the war because they wanted the world to know that this horrible crime happened and can happen again if not stopped early (Serbs and Muslims fighting in Serbia, The Rawanda "Ethnic cleansing" but I call it genocide, etc.). Blacks in America know that if you let this go then those people would push even more and make a general statement that "blacks are this and blacks are that". And then it will be okay for white people and other nationalities that aren't black to hate blacks overtly (if you don't believe that then read all the stuff that happened to Muslims right after 9/11 and up to today, for a short period it was almost okay to hate them and people where).

This was funny, I will give all of you that because I laughed. But somebody on that advertisement board for KFC was laughing differently about it. He or she was sitting back and laughing that I GOT ONE OVER THE N****rs this time and I will keep on doing it. Remember Hitler, it took only a couple of handful of people to get a nation to do the unthinkable. And in other nations it took just a handfull of people to make it okay to do the unthinkable to other people. When you play these games and such you play with fire and you neve know what the outcome of it will be and much of the time it burns out of control. Remember it was the one or two in that meeting that wanted it to be racists, they where trying to get people to do their bidding which they did.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...(film)

[edit on 7-1-2010 by hoghead cheese]

[edit on 7-1-2010 by hoghead cheese]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Shows a bunch of white Australian cricketers wanting KFC after their game? Stereotype much?

Another ad featuring the same guy

I think watching these ads Americans who had viewed that ad as being racist will come off differently..

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
It's almost like America LOVES throwing the race card.

This comercial is NOT racist at all and many aussies have explained WHY and even before that I didn't see it as racist, why?

I AM ALSO from a multi-cultural country, i'm from the Netherlands and we have very little racism.

I was shocked at the amount of racism I encountered here in the US, from both camps!

Whatever happened in the past PUT IT BEHIND YOU! we are all free and equal now, whites live in Ghettos too! asians do as well, blacks can be rich too!

Poverty is a national problem, not a racial problem.

As an American inhabbitant and human being I say get rid of stereotypes and stop taking offense, refuse to take offense to racist slang.

WE ARE ALL HUMAN BEINGS! we are all equal.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

I think this is getting of the topic btw.
but anyway you wanted an answer from me so here goes.
Firstly, I’m blown away that you think so highly of me as to answer all of these questions.lol Ok so I’ll do my best, but if I remember we never sat around the kitchen table discussing any of this.
Most of the chatter was always what tomorrow would bring. We discussed who was wining the footy, what the all the kids were up to and Just basic everyday person things.

Q. Do they still refer to people of non-white skin and from southern Europe, Eastern Europe and Middle East WOGS. Do they still do that?
My A. Probably but I myself haven’t heard that term for many years

Q. Also as your ex husband being aboriginal and your kids having aboriginal blood, how did he and his kids feel about the treatment of the aboriginals in Australian history and even up to today?
A. I can’t even begin to answer this one it’s so obvious, they feel badly of course.
As I said it’s not something we ever discussed, one comment I remember my ex-husbands grandmother saying is “crikey that was bad hey” as I said these things weren’t discussed. We were the same as any average family when we all got together, cricket in the backyard, kids yabbying at the dam, the peewee 50 getting a hiding that was about it.

And basically everything else you want to discuss imo belongs in a diff thread. As I thought this thread was about if the KFC commercial was racist or not.
The point I was trying to get across in my previous post was that I personally came from a diverse group of family and friends and that particular KFC commercial to me was not racist.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I honestly just find it funny, just like I feel the commercial was intended to be. Funny.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Ats is too funny sometimes...

Just a reccomendation from Ol Mopus Vindictus here...

Bring a bucket of KFC whenever your going anywhere... regardless of who you'll be around or where your going, they make an excellent side dish and Hungry people will be glad to meet you...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
reply to post by Kryties

I was wrong, you win.
Common sense isn't for everybody.

I'm gonna go film some floating trashcan lids now.

Peace

Yeah you were wrong and no amount of unfounded sarcasm will change that! By all means, go and float some trash cans... You may be more productive!

Though it has been exhaustively explained to you, you can't seem to wrap your head around it because you appear to only understand things through your own cultural lense and with your own sense of national racial guilt.

From my perspective, it just seems your trying to drag everybody else down to that level... and you've failed!

We are Aussies, we aren't Americans and our cultures are thankfully completely different!

Viva Australia!

IRM

[edit on 7/1/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Hahahahahahaha. I didn't have time to read all the pages, but did anyone notice that whoever that idiot girl is, during her rant, said "Let's just give those African Americans some fried chicken...."

What a F****ng joke. She's crying racist, while she (because they had brown skin) calls them African Americans.....hmmmmm....if that was a slip of the toungue it really should've been caught in post.

Just seems arrogant of she and others from America or other countries outside of the continent of Australia to shift negative stereotypes created there to another country with a completely different culture.

Yes, KFC is an American company....but there's obviously regional branches of marketing and such. Common sense people.

There are probably similar ads running in some of the windie countries participating in these tournaments where one of their fans is surrounded by a bunch of rowdy Aussie fans and wants to calm them down so he can enjoy the match...bastards.

[edit on 1/8/2010 by WizardVanWizard]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Yes, we must all bow to anything America says. They are the reality police and if your not with them you are against them!!

So much for differing opinions here or putting the tv ad into any kind of perspective KFC just had to bow to American pressure or else risk losing its African American market demographic and by the looks of its huuuuuuuuuuge.

The USA is gone, its lost its sanity and the clock its ticking down to its break up and for the safety of the rest of the World thank goodness.

Americans...you are drunk with power.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I just sang the national anthem after I read your post.

I hope they name a test match Venue after you IRM.

........Australians all let us rejoice
for we are not yankees.......hehe.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
WTF?

American's criticizing us for a racial stereotype that they invented?

We don't have any "fried chicken" racial stereotypes over here, these people should mind their own business and understand us a little better before pointing the finger.

Besides, I thought the whole chicken thing was for African Americans? Last time I checked the people in this ad are from the West Indies..

Typical ignorant yanks sticking their noses where it doesn't belong IMO.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Are you so certain this was not meant to be a parody on prejudice or a stereotypical satire?

Even with that uncertainty . . . i must admit . . . the video seems pretty racist.

I was pleasantly surprised the hosts of the show at least knew what racism was.

A good thing too . . . I probably can't endure anymore face palms . . .

[edit on 1/8/2010 by JPhish]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
"Do they still refer to people of non-white skin and from southern europe, eastern europe and middle east WOGS. Do they still do that?"

Well, believe it or not...it has become almost a term of endearment!
Not only that but many Italians and Greeks refer to themselves as such.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro

I hope they name a test match Venue after you IRM.

A bat signed by Steve Waugh would do the trick I reckon! lol

You know out of all the times I've seen that KFC ad, never once did I see any connection to 'american style' fried chicken racism. Nor did my 'non-white' girlfriend who is actually quite racially sensitive. You know why? Because we aren't bloody american!

Disclaimer: My apologies to the americans on this forum that I think are absolutely awesome people. The following rant is not directed at you!

Personally I'm done with the people in america who are calling this racist. Further proof that they know little about anything that resides beyond their own borders... Even when it's explained to them from the very culture they bring into question, they still believe they know us better than we know ourselves.

And yet, with all this pigheadedness and arrogance on full display, they still have the audacity to ask "why does the rest of the world hate us"?

It's a mystery isn't it!

IRM

[edit on 8/1/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Thanks for reading (and obviously not understanding) my posts.
I won't hold it against all Aussies.

Off to film some floating trashcan lids now.

Peace

[edit on 8-1-2010 by Dr Love]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

the Martial art i practice uses a swastika as its main symbol, That of Shorinji Kempo
it has nothing to do with Nazi Germany, and i dont believe the add is racist in the slightest.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Haven't read all posts as this issue is ridiculous and all your doing by continuing this so called controversy is selling more newspapers, getting more hits on news websites about this so called news worthy news report... Learn how the media works these days don't perpetuate the controversy that the media thrives on....

SILLY!!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoghead cheese
. . .
This was funny, I will give all of you that because I laughed. But somebody on that advertisement board for KFC was laughing differently about it. He or she was sitting back and laughing that I GOT ONE OVER THE N****rs this time and I will keep on doing it. . . .

This part of your post makes me want to vomit.

It's called projection. Some stupid, racist Americans are seeing their own racism wherever they look, not realising it's themselves they are seeing.
You might look at the Islanders in this ad as "N****rs", but no Aussie would. To us they're Islanders. They have never been discriminated against here and their skin-colour is not an issue. Few Australians would even think the word "N****r". It's not part of out culture. Unlike racist Americans, we do not lump all dark-skinned people into any one basket and label them insultingly.

Neither do we have any traditional association here between any one group of people and fried chicken.

It's typical of arrogant Americans to imagine memes from your little part of the world are valid world-wide.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

So how are the Sioux,Comanche and the other native Americans doing?I don't want to bandy about the Genocide card but since you brought it up why not?

How are the treatise between the Federal Government and the original Americans holding up?

See,its so easy to point the finger isn't it?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join