It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious U.S. Swine Flu Probe Widens as Mexico Finds Swine Flu *updated*

page: 116
<< 113  114  115    117  118  119 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

You Like "The NAU Flu King"

I was bored for a minute
Really...

Mexico A/H1N1 flu death toll rise to 44, total infections to 1,204
Updated May 08, 2009 04:27 AM
www.philstar.com...

Tourists trade Mexico for Seattle due to swine flu
www.examiner.com...

Mass., R.I. report new cases of swine flu
May 08, 2009 6:00 AM
southcoasttoday.com

The Swine Flu thingy ~ Confirmed US swine flu cases rises to 896

groups.google.com...

joshnavarro: There are now 5 confirmed cases of the H1N1 flu virus in Monterey County. 6 minutes ago from web

Flu spreads in U.S., Asia pledges common fight
www.reuters.com...

[edit on 5/8/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   

*poof* Look up!

(An inside joke...really...you had to be here...
)

Strangeness abounds in ATS Land...

Top flu expert warns of a swine flu-bird flu mix
20 minutes ago
www.google.com...

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Bird flu kills more than 60 percent of its human victims, but doesn't easily pass from person to person. Swine flu can be spread with a sneeze or handshake, but kills only a small fraction of the people it infects.

So what happens if they mix?
More at Link...

Re-Post...
Exclusive: SARS Sleuth Tracks Swine Flu, Attacks WHO
May 4, 2009
blogs.sciencemag.org...

Confirmed A/H1N1 flu cases rise to 88 in Spain
2009-05-08 04:04:30
news.xinhuanet.com...

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Sure do

I'm callin it a night. Take care & get some rest

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
People who are in richer nations will be far less likely to die of any pandemic. Increased mortality is tied closely to income levels.

THAT is why there is less mortality than in Mexico. Mexico is a developing nation. The USA and Canada are First World nations.

The reason for the virus being "less severe" correlates (just as most are) to the economic wealth of the the people and nation in question. There are studies about this.

"There are studies about this" you said!

Both Yes and No!... You should really see this wonderful & interesting and educational video about of the Thirld World Myth of developing countries.

The old concepts & studies of developing countries we have is not valid any more! - the old studies were valid in the 1960's and 1970's to 1980's - but not anymore - since 2003 it's a brand new world!

I think this video is really really important for us to understand the development of the world since the 1990's.

Look at the hospital standards of Mexico showing on the TV news - they are quite modern for a so called 'developing nation'

This is not some kind of a debunker video "per se" even if I know the silly title of the Y.T video says so - It's a 'Swedish Professor' explaining some of the mis-conceptions we have of developing countries through his wonderful software.

Please watch it! - it's very educational, I promise you it's not wasted time!

www.ted.com...

The third-world myths with the best stats you've ever seen:

"You've never seen data presented like this. With the drama and urgency of a sportscaster, statistics guru Hans Rosling debunks myths about the so-called "developing world."

As a doctor and researcher, Hans Rosling identified a new paralytic disease induced by hunger in rural Africa. Now the global health professor is looking at the bigger picture"

Soo! I don't know? - I lived in Venezuela 5 years in the end of the 1980's to 91 and I was surprised with the standards of some of the hospitals there. I thought they would be much worse.

Of course the very poor couldn't afford all of the health care, but if they were shot down on the street they received full care at the Caracas University Hospital, which is quite modern.

So I guess that would be the same for Mexico as well - If the poor people get sick of the swine-flu during an emergency I think you would receive treatment at modern hospitals as well?

I think the main problem with the poor people and the rural areas of Mexico is that when people get sick they use their old ancestors Herbal Folk Medicine - which is very good for common cold etc. Instead of seeking modern treatment at a modern hospital.

But the problem with this is that often in a severe emergency with a Bacterial Pneumonia Infection the Herbal Folk Medicine & hygine it's not good enough to cure them - so unfortunately, they die!

So I think this is the main reason of why the mortality rate is bigger in Mexico

I went on a trip to Thailand and found out in some places they had better & modern hospitals & health care, than we have here in many European countries!

So the world is changing very fast indeed!

(Hans Rosling are now working with Sergey Brin of Google making a new software of Roslings software, to be used as a 'Trend analyzer tool'.)

[edit on 8-5-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Good morning, again. Sorry I keep leaving you mid-day.

WHO Update:

8 May 2009 -- As of 06:00 GMT, 8 May 2009, 24 countries have officially reported 2384 cases of influenza A (H1N1) infection.

Update 21

And behind door #2...

Obama ices border fence

Banks need $75 Billion

U.S. economy loses 539,000 jobs in April; unemployment rate rises at 8.9 percent http://(link tracking not allowed)/eHLKy
about 1 hour ago from web

[edit on 8-5-2009 by Cameoii]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
As the friends wandered through the forest, Piglet grinned to himself, thinking how lucky he was to have a best friend like Pooh.

Pooh thought to himself, "If the pig sneezes, I'm dead."

Sick I know, but needed to humor this morning!

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Now we are reccommended to not listen to earlier reccommendations regarding Tamiflu:

Patients who have Tamiflu capsules that have recently expired should not dispose of them because they might be needed during a novel influenza A/H1N1 pandemic," the London-based agency said.

It also issued guidance that in a declared pandemic children under the age of one should receive Tamiflu because the benefits would outweigh the risks.

The agency said it also concluded after a review of available data for Tamiflu and Relenza that pregnant and breastfeeding women should also be prescribed the drugs if needed during a pandemic.

Reuters

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Awsome job on keeping us up-to-date!....and an official "TY" for including the newest info for Indiana.

Lets all have a great day and keep up the good work!

-FMF (lurker alert!
)

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Cameoii

I don't know about you all, but this article sends a big message of desperation to me...they are saying to hang on to older Tamiflu, even if expired because it might be needed????

I might be reaching here, being early in the day, but this sounds a little dire to me. I would be interested to hear if this statement is becomes repeated by others or just shoved under the rug and dismissed as bad advice.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by fullmoonfairy

Well, I agree that it sounds desperate. Especially when we've also heard that there will not be enough vaccine for everyone and the WHO says there may be 2 billion infected. What worries me though, is that this measure takes money out of the pockets of the pharmacetucal company that makes the drug. Money that has been motive for many other actions that were taken. It just doesn't add up.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Well, what ever is going on they sure have done a splendid job of downplaying this flu to the public. I'm finding that any mention of the Swine flu brings snickers and jokes! The only sign that some are taking this seriously is that in my communty all of the drugstores have been out of masks and hand sanitizer. I have brought this to the attention of pharmicists and the people who stock these items, and in reply recieve vague explanations and raised eyebrows like I just asked them when the aliens are arriving.

This is the wierdest thing I have ever seen if you ask me like...on the news here they will broadcast the state flu count which is rising rapidly then in the same breath say how it is nothing to worry about, the kids are "going back to school", ...."up next, our weather forecast". I'm losing my mind.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Yes, I am aware that developing nations have decent hospitals and more than one would think usually.

They also have insane income disparity which does impact their care and access to medicine and alternative options.

In China you can be in and out of a hospital with every test you need run on site by the end of the day.

Developing nations have the advantage that they can access tried and true advanced technology and medicine without the testing out and expense of the beginning phases. This means that they will roll out advances in a far different way that occurs in the First World. They also have more economic constraints, which means that good adminstrations will effectively and aggressively pursue better and faster options in processing and bureaucracy.

Do *I* have access even if I'm poor? Yes. I live in Canada.

Mortality still correlates to income level.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Hello to all..........Well another week.....where do the numbers fall today......I guess when the WHO officially announces that 2 billion are infected with the "global" death rate at 3.5% they will announce a pandemic.......But I doubt it since people lives are less important than interstate and international trade and commerce......

I have not had any new intel from my end for over the past 24hrs.......

I will make a round of calls today and see who is willing to leak info......

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Morning all. Lil butt finaly settled down enogh that i could get on here..

Save the expired meds huh? Thats quite interesting considering for the past 50 years they tell you to throw out anything expired. Hmmm
Will be interesting to see how this develops.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

I think that there will be evident differences in the most infected areas even in the US. Poorer counties will have the most infections and fatalities. While treatment is available to poor, most won't seek it. There will be those that can't afford to miss a day of work, those that don't have transportation, and those that simply try to self treat to avoid the hassle of the ER. Those that do will be sitting in overcrowded emergency rooms for hours in close quaters with other infectious diseases. So you will have undiagnosed cases, cases of the worried well becoming infected, and fatalities from late treatment and more dangerous secondary infections. All of that is just my opinion, though.

VeratectMexico, Guerrero: Nine Additional Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Confirmed; Total Reaches 19 Confirmed Cases in State #swineflu
2 minutes ago from web

VeratectUS, South Dakota: CDC Confirms First Case of Influenza A (H1N1) in State; Identified in Minnehaha County #swineflu
5 minutes ago from web

VeratectNetherlands: New Confirmed Case of Influenza A (H1N1); Travel to Mexico Noted

Twitter

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
in Australia,the gov. was selling of expired meds to private doc and hospitals..The expiration date seems to have majicly been disregaurded when it benefits the makers...i always take exp. on meds with a grain of salt..''though it depends on what it is''

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Redpillblues

That's what is strange. This move doesn't benefit the makers of the drug, it hurts them. If the drugs were thrown out on the expiration date, new drugs would have to be purchased. Now that they can be used passed the expiration date, no new sales.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

www.newsdesk.org...

tht. i would add this link about water shortage in mexico city during easter weekend. you never know maybe the water shortage had to do with why they shut down the city.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Cameoii

True that it hurts money wise,but in a time that they cant produce enough they dont want bad press..

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Stars 4 All !

Good Day !

Time for the "Morning Round-up"...really...

Israel: Health Ministry confirms seventh influenza A (H1N1) case nationwide in a female from Elqana, an Israeli settlement in the West Bank.2 minutes ago from web

Mexico: 160 Additional Cases and One Additional Fatal Case of Influenza A (H1N1) Confirmed; Total Increases to 1,364 Cases and 45 Deaths 8 minutes ago from web

US, Iowa: Total of 36 Influenza A (H1N1) Cases Confirmed by State Laboratory #swineflu13 minutes ago from web

US, Maryland: State Health Department Confirms Four New Influenza A (H1N1) Cases; Total Statewide Reaches 21 #swineflu15 minutes ago from web

Italy, Como: Ministry of Health Confirms New Case of Influenza A (H1N1); Nationwide Total Case Count Reaches Seven #swineflu18 minutes ago from web

Mexico, Yucatán: One Additional Case of Influenza A (H1N1) Confirmed; Total Reaches 18 Confirmed Cases in the State #swineflu23 minutes ago from web

Mexico, Jalisco: 11 Additional Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Confirmed; Total Reaches 26 Confirmed Cases in the State #swineflu24 minutes ago from web

Mexico, Guerrero: Nine Additional Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Confirmed; Total Reaches 19 Confirmed Cases in State #swineflu26 minutes ago from web

US, South Dakota: CDC Confirms First Case of Influenza A (H1N1) in State; Identified in Minnehaha County #swineflu29 minutes ago from web

Netherlands: New Confirmed Case of Influenza A (H1N1); Travel to Mexico Noted; Total of 3 Confirmed Cases Nationwide. #swineflu #H1N135 minutes ago from web

Argentina: First Case of Influenza A (H1N1) Confirmed: Date: May 08, 2009 12:33 UTC Risk: Medium Multiple international media sources..about 1 hour ago from twitterfeed

Brazil: Four Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Confirmed : Date: May 07, 2009 23:04 UTC Risk: Medium Several international media outlets re..about 13 hours ago from twitterfeed

Central Shenandoah Health District, Virginia, USA: 9 confirmed cases. Source: Virgina Department of Health Date: 7 May 2009, 21:00 GMTabout 4 hours ago from twitterfeed

Three Rivers Health District, Virgina, USA: 1 confirmed case. Source: Virgina Department of Health Date: 7 May 2009, 21:00 GMTabout 4 hours ago from twitterfeed

Norfolk, Virginia, USA: 1 confirmed case. Source: Virgina Department of Health Date: 7 May 2009, 21:00 GMTabout 4 hours ago from twitterfeed

Arlington, Virgina, USA: 1 confirmed case. Source: Virgina Department of Health Date: 7 May 2009, 21:00 GMTabout 4 hours ago from twitterfeed

Marion County, Oregon, USA: 3 confirmed cases. Source: Oregon Public Health Dept. Date: 7 May 2009, 21:00 GMTabout 4 hours ago from twitterfeed

Clackamas County, Oregon, USA: 2 confirmed cases. Source: Oregon Public Health Dept. Date: 7 May 2009, 21:00 GMTabout 4 hours ago from twitterfeed

Bavaria, Germany: 6 confirmed cases. Source: Robert Koch Institute [German (original)], [English (google translation)] Date: 8 May 2009..about 4 hours ago from twitterfeed

Cumberland County, Maine, USA: 1 confirmed case. Source: Maine Dept. of Health and Human Services Date: 6 May 2009about 4 hours ago from twitterfeed

[WHO] Influenza A(H1N1) - update 21: As of 06:00 GMT, 8 May 2009, 24 countries have officially reported 238.. /orolezabout 4 hours ago from twitterfeed

North Weald, England, UK: 1 confirmed case. Source: Harlow Herald Date: 7 May 2009, 13:32 GMTabout 5 hours ago from twitterfeed

Clacton-on-sea, England, UK: 1 confirmed case. Source: BBC Date: 6 May 2009, 19:31 GMTabout 5 hours ago from twitterfeed

Slough, England, UK: 1 confirmed case. Source: BBC Date: 6 May 2009, 19:31 GMTabout 5 hours ago from twitterfeed

Sandwell, England, UK: 1 confirmed case. Source: BBC Date: 6 May 2009, 19:31 GMTabout 5 hours ago from twitterfeed

top topics

<< 113  114  115    117  118  119 >>

join