It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daring to be Different in the Black Community

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by firemonkey
After reading all the OPs comments and other threads...I can't help but think "troll". This really sounds like a somewhat racist white person pretending to be black in order to gain more credibility towards there opinions.

Slavery was no big deal, Civil Rights movement harmed white business owners, Democrats are the racist party, Blacks are the "real" racist....it goes on and on.

I actually hope it is a troll faking to be black instead of someone actually thinking like this.

speechless

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by DZAG Wright

Again, it comes down to CULTURE.

Cult = 4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

-ure = state of being

Culture = State of being of the cult

(This actually explains the crux of the problem IMHO)

Mind. BLOWN.

I feel like an idiot for not thinking this before. No joke.

We're sometimes so quick as people to define ourselves by our ideals and practices, sometimes stuff that we can't even change about ourselves, and "glomp" onto our like-minded brethren (and sistren?
) as quickly as possible without thinking about the implications. However severe or mind, it can really resemble cultish behaviour.

Because it is.

ButterCookie, you're awesome. You have the courage to do things that I sometimes fail at. I'm from the UK, but when Obama won back in 2008 my family cried like it was the Second Coming. I cried (literally by the way) because my mother said I must hate "my own people" if I didn't like the dude for his skin colour.

My own people... who are over an eighth of the human population, speak thousands of barely related indigenous languages and participate in radically diverse social norms. My own people who actually happen to hold the largest amount of genetic diversity among the broader and consequently vague population groups.

As it stands, I'm trying to separate myself from truly belonging to anything. There's too much to experience, and keeping one's worldview narrowly focused on anything, be it skin colour or even political stance, just seems to close too many doors. Of course, this is impossible for anyone to do perfectly, but it can't hurt to try, huh?

P.S. On the subject of Zimmerman, I don't think he should have been acquitted, but my opinion is moot as it's a US issue. Regardless, I do really feel for both parties in their current situations; the Zimmerman and Martin families.

edit on 15-7-2013 by ihavenoaccount because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

So that's why I said she cannot change, because her "race" will always remain whatever it was when she was born.

Sure she can as we are talking about what a person thinks,acts, or believes that is all in the mind.

The human mind has no color, or group the last bastion of where the last freedom exists.

No one can take our thoughts from us.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Thanks muzzle from me and my ego. lol

An original Realtruth thread is coming to ATS very soon regarding these very issues. I can only say that I have had to swallow a lot of self-pride coming to these conclusions and self awareness.

It has given me a whole new outlook on life, that is why I found the OP's thread so refreshing and insightful.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Then why this constant marginalizing and discounting differing opinions into a group of "people like you"

Mean like the op was?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

So if I eat Tacos, Burritos, and Taquitos all the time that means I abandoned my other heritages?

This is exactly what i mean, people are predisposed to think. uneducated, playing victims, is black culture. i mean, according to many posters here, that what she abandoned right? so people who think like that, will assume that only abandoning these things can make you better. thus black culture is bad.

But in fact those traits are not exclusive to black culture yet OP looks at these thing are black culture and we have people supporting that.

link   

Originally posted by Realtruth

Thanks muzzle from me and my ego. lol

An original Realtruth thread is coming to ATS very soon regarding these very issues.

Looking forward to that.

link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by TKDRL

exactly no culture holds monopoly on education yet the OP seem to think abandoning her bad "black culture" and adopting a "white culture" is the only way to get head.

She seems to associate black with bad and white with good. That is truly disgusting.

in a white anglo-saxon dominated western world it would be a statement of fact, not opinion.

in any group, if you want to get on, you adapt, you compromise, you come to agreements, you have a common ground that defines the group. Its every persons(regardless of race) wanting to be a part of something and be accepted.

and talking of culture, i come from a working class, poor background, and i saw exactly the same "education is uncool", "you will never amount to anything", "youre a boffin" or a "teachers pet" if you are good at anything other than sport. And this was a predominantly white primary school, and also at my diverse secondary school.
My school education was very poor, because it was uncool to learn, so we went and smoked weed instead.

that mentality isnt restricted just to the black community. I think it has a lot more to the mentality of "not rising above your station" that we tend to get when we are poor, regardless of race, i think its a self esteem thing.

the races have a lot more in common than they have apart, but due to ignorance, and the tribal mentality most dont or wont realise this simple fact.
for we are all human, we all suffer the human condition, and sometimes that condition is pretty nasty.
we are all the same.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DZAG Wright
I'll smack some people around after I finish reading the entire thread...

Before I go back I have to state that the "act white" thing is so 90's. Black people have moved on from that and you have to realize the reason for its creation. A clue is that white America, what they are, are culture dominators. Anyone who doesn't submit to their CULTURE is ostracized.

Let me finish reading...

Be prepared to be smacked back for some people are familiar with your posting style.
Is being a strong and famous quarterback or winning golfer acting "white" or is it a person's ability to use natural talent to make a good life for themselves? Dominating culture? Are you kidding? How about white kids who get into hip hop or African style dance? Are you completely unaware how much the cultures have meshed? What do you want us to do, pick up a spear and hunt wild boar or something? Some people should be ashamed at themselves for perpetuating divisions that have no basis in reality.

link   
You would think that with 17 pages of responses and 100 stars on the OP that someone would have addressed my post by now. Where are all the experts on race relations and social psychology that have been celebrating "buttercookie" as a great and wise woman for pages and pages, praising her for wanting to be better than those blacks that have all those problems? When you post from a stunted perspective you come off like you are missing part of your brain, the top part, and everything goes right over your head because of it.

OP, why did you choose the name "buttercookie"? Is that your favorite kind of cookie? Do you enjoy eating butter cookies so much that you simply chose that treat to be a representation of your identity on this site?

link   
This is an astonishing thread....

After a thousands pages of trashing black people and Trevon Martin in particular; it's a love fest because a black person has seen the light and agrees with the white people.

Thankfully I can see the humor and irony here....
edit on 15-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LizardSlicks

dude i reposted your post, i think its one of the best replies in this thread. But see how many starts you got? lol shows a lot of the mentality of this crowd.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by firemonkey
After reading all the OPs comments and other threads...I can't help but think "troll". This really sounds like a somewhat racist white person pretending to be black in order to gain more credibility towards there opinions.

Slavery was no big deal, Civil Rights movement harmed white business owners, Democrats are the racist party, Blacks are the "real" racist....it goes on and on.

I actually hope it is a troll faking to be black instead of someone actually thinking like this.

I put your bias out of context claims to the test. At first they seemed like plausible claims worth investigating.

Initially the first glance did seem to corroborate your claims, but due to the extensive history of this individual they have a ton of posts and threads to look over.

After looking around I decided you were purposely taking everything out of context to fit an agenda. The poster's history and opinion is far too diverse and it clearly evolves over time and grows, so I don't see how this could be a fake account. It looks quite authentic to me and like a genuine honest person.

There is a chance you could be right but it seems rather unlikely considering the extensive history.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

some people see it as encouraging, but i see it as patronizing. I would never want someone coming and telling me my culture is bad and i should take up someone else's. Those people probably does not understand the culture or see it as what media wants them to see it as, a less inferior ways.

Media: "Hey look a Muslim, he is less than human!"
edit on 7/15/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by firemonkey

So you would rather hope this is a troll instead of an individual human posting an opinion? That is the problem with this world.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
To the OP I would say thanks for the post. There are always people on the cutting edge of social change and it is never easy. You are there among the first generation of blacks who feel that society is something they can navigate in without the heavy solidarity of the black community behind them. That is progress for society as a whole. But having said that . . .

It wasn't easy being of the generations who worked so hard to galvanize and bring together the black community into large cohesive units to fight oppression either. They were you . . . a generation or two ago.

I would say honor them, as I'm sure you do . . . and make sure that they know you know where they are coming from. If you can, communicate to them that the only reason you can do what you are doing is because their struggle was successful.

You can be you because of a battle they fought and won.

In a way, you are a "messenger from the front" bringing news of a victory to them. Maybe you can help them to relax a little as individuals and be more confident of themselves and the society their struggle helped to create.

Good luck.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

I absolutely respect you -- not necessarily for your stance on certain issues (though I do admire them), but for the fact that you very obviously are a free thinking individual.

If there is one thing about 'people' that I have never been able to stand, it's the typical sheep mentality of those who just go with the flow, strive to be politically correct; try to fit in; try to never cause waves; and who wouldn't dare ever try to express an original thought, idea, or reaction.

The world needs more people like you, regardless of their race.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LizardSlicks

praising her for wanting to be better than those blacks that have all those problems?

So are you just going to heap more condemnation on her then, and you expect the rest of us to join you? I don't believe she is trying to be better than anyone, or less than anyone either. So anyone who gives her positive feedback are evil people who cannot possibly have good motive. mmhmmm I think I see where you are going with this line of thinking.
Maybe this is why people cannot get out of the trap which has been set.
I would love it if you would try and think outside the box for a moment. Otherwise the Nephilim have won the fight.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Also its nice to see many lurkers logging into post. I m pretty sure this thread is heavily watched by many spectators.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Yeah, I guess this thread is a huge, hateful, patronizing, white supremacy orgy and nothing more.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join