It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daring to be Different in the Black Community

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I'll smack some people around after I finish reading the entire thread...

Before I go back I have to state that the "act white" thing is so 90's. Black people have moved on from that and you have to realize the reason for its creation. A clue is that white America, what they are, are culture dominators. Anyone who doesn't submit to their CULTURE is ostracized.

Let me finish reading...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I was not saying agreeing with those make her anything bad... show me where i said agreeing with GZ or w/e is bad...

i was mainly referring to her perspective of what is good and what is bad.... especially on the comment she made about "regular jobs" is preferred by blacks.

She seems to associate everything negative as "black culture" and everything good as "white culture"... which is why i think her perspective is skewered.... im not black but i see more potential in black community than her..

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Its like i said, OP is a platform for people who sees other as inferior to voice a comment but keeping it as subtle as possible so it does not sound bad

How do we know you aren't subtly hiding your desire to put all whites in the oven?

These assumptions are retarded.
Can we stop pretending those who disagree with us are closet psycho murder Nazis please????

Maybe a few idiots are, I am sure there are several handfuls of them. But who cares about them, they are dinosaurs, a breed going extinct. Don't be one of them.

Shouldn't we treat fellow ATS members with the benefit of the doubt ????
Everyone is so ready to just jump to conclusions and scream racist today what the heck??

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

While Im sure you mean well - all I have to say is, who cares if you are a black woman? Why do you need to identify yourself by your race?

When do I start my posts with 'Im a Venusian hemaphrodite'?

Things will only change when people begin to see how ridiculous it is to even mention your race or sex - it simply doesnt matter - how you act, how you treat people - those things matter - the rest is just a coat of paint.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by supremecommander

The day that I was told that because of the fact that I used proper English I was "talking white"

I've never understood this. History is full of very eloquent black people that have done far more for black people than the ones crying Uncle Tom.

It seems so very backwards to think that speaking well is only for whites. To me it seems like telling a woman that because she's good at math she's a sell out to the patriarchy. Utter nonsense.

Again, it comes down to CULTURE.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Willtell

Originally posted by Willtell
Reading this op, I knew it would be praised (this is a good black person according to some) but it is a delusional view!

I agree. The OP doesn't realize that by taking the position she's taking, and saying the stuff she's saying, she's gaining the praise of a bunch of white people who think she's "one of the good black people"... It's really sad and kind of sickening to me. I wasn't going to post here, but I read over the replies and see that I'm not the only one who picked up on this.

Is there a "black community"? What does that even mean? I'm so confused and saddened about this thread, I think I'll just leave my thoughts and move along...

What? She's standing up for herself towards that belittle her for wanting a better life and not live the thug life.Don't pretend there isn't a black community,nor that they don't stick together.There is and they do. It seems you live in your own little world where everything is hunky dory.The real world doesn't work that way. I'm white but I've seen what she's talking about through my own two eyes.I've had black friends who's family is doing the same thing to them
edit on 15-7-2013 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I have to weigh in here because of the possible derailment of an enlightening thread.

The fact the OP had the intestinal fortitude to bypass her indoctrination of a particular culture, her own ego, and the obvious repercussion on ATS is IMO courageous. She expressed her unconditional opinion from a state of a human being, and as an African American that sees things from a different perspective.

I find some of the condescending comments, in regards to her color, extremely trivial and from a stance of ones own unruly ego.

I would hope that people can look past there emotions, egos and indoctrinated bias to see that the OP had only intentions of bringing about awareness, but maybe some are not ready for this type of peace of mind.

Just think about how much our society would change for the better if people would start being truthful to first themselves, then sharing it with the rest of the world.

The truth maybe subjective, but it is very much needed these days.
edit on 15-7-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

I understand your point but she identified her race because it was pertinent to the topic.

edit on 013131p://bMonday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

off topic but seabag your avi is tooo nice

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

The OP doesn't realize that by taking the position she's taking, and saying the stuff she's saying, she's gaining the praise of a bunch of white people who think she's "one of the good black people"...

WOW that's an outrageous assessment, and insulting to BC.

Maybe you don't like the fact we are opening the lines of communication.

Good answer. I forgot in my previous post to mention that those whites with the White Angel Syndrome also like to dictate to blacks how they should think. Kind of racist don't you think? By those who claim NOT to be racist?

edit on 013131p://bMonday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
As a black woman, I have faced ostracism from the black community for several reasons, most recently because I supported George Zimmerman in Martin/ Zimmerman Case. I began this thread to discuss my issues on this topic and to allow others to ask questions, or share their stories in this struggle with me...

I guess it began childhood. I was born in the South (Memphis) but grew up in the state of Kansas, where the population was 60% white, 20% Native American, and 10% Black, Hispanic and Asian. All my friends were white and Native American, and as children, we embraced the beauty of our different races; it was only when my family moved back to Memphis where racism reared its ugly head. I remember going to the playground and seeing white girls jump roping (for example), and I would stand in line to jump in, and was warmly welcomed. The black girls would pull me to the side afterwards and say,

"Ummm..why were you playing with them?" I would be confused and say, "Because we all wanted to jump rope."

"But they are WHITE."

"Ummm yes. I know that. What's the issue?"

They never had an answer, just stared at me in shock, because I was 'different'.

Later in life, I decided to continue my education. This was shone by lots of members of my family, as I was told I was being "white", and that my pursuit to practice Law afterwards was me being "too good" to work at a 'regular job',

A few years ago, I quit wearing my hair in perm and I now wear it naturally in a beautiful Afro. Of course this was way outside the 'box' for lots of black women in the south, because I was no longer conforming like the 'crowd', wearing perms and weaves.

As a English and Political Science major, I learned a lot about history, politics, and social issues, and have quit voting Democratic (a different thread exists on this). This was another 'blow' to the black community as they saw it, as I was being 'white' for not praising President Obama.

Lastly, I came out of the non-religious 'closet'. Fortunately as a child, I was never fully indoctrinated, but pretended to believe like everyone else...

And now, as a result of the Zimmerman trial, my peers and family have always been aware that I supported George Zimmerman (based on the facts of the case) and today came the backlash and attacks on me. Not physically, but very cruel verbal remarks have been texted to me all day. Mainly from my father...

He and I have always been very close. We both left the religious closet together, but lately I had been seeing that the pressure to rejoin the herd has gotten to him. He now verbally attacks me and says, "You need to come back to the 'black side' and "you're crazy" because I hold firm to independent ways and beliefs. Today after he attacked me for being happy about the Zimmerman verdict, I tried to change the subject by saying, "we should go see a movie, Dad. Pacific Rim is out and it looks good."

He responded, "I don't hang out with Uncle Toms."

The majority of ANY racism I have ever experienced as a black woman have come form other black people. Why are we like this?

We have conceded to life-long victim-hood, and excuse making, shifting the blame on others, especially other races and I hate it.

The number one excuse for our violent behavior, low education, or high poverty rate from the Black Community is "SLAVERY"

It is absolutely absurd.

1. How do we think black slaves came to America? Do we think that Europeans just waltzed onto the African shoreline and grabbed slaves? No. African Kings and Queens SOLD their subjects into slavery.
2. Why do we think the entire Civil Rights movement was about our skin color? It was MOSTLY about white private business owners mad at the GOVERNMENT, not blacks, for forcing them to turn their private businesses into public ones.

and most importantly,

If slavery is the answer to all of the black community's problems, then why can't we trace these behaviors and issues all the way to the Reconstruction Era? Seems like those problems would be detected to the generations much closer to slavery, rather than just popping up in this era.

Excuses...

Anyway, didn't mean to be long-winded. Just wanted to see some your comments and see if anyone else can relate.
edit on 14-7-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

I think this is one of the best things I've read on here in a long time.

I'm white, my wife is Puerto Rican. Anytime I spend time with her family I pretty much just get shunned. It starts by them speaking Spanish to each other thinking I don't understand them (I don't speak Spanish fluently but I do understand it). I'll never be part of their 'group' because my skin is white.....when my father-in-law met my daughter the first thing he said was "she looks nothing like us" He doesn't get her presents or even acknowledge her.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

link   
reply to post by luciddream

i was mainly referring to her perspective of what is good and what is bad.... especially on the comment she made about "regular jobs" is preferred by blacks.

She only said that was her experience coming from her family. Here is her quote...

Later in life, I decided to continue my education. This was shone by lots of members of my family, as I was told I was being "white", and that my pursuit to practice Law afterwards was me being "too good" to work at a 'regular job',

link   

Originally posted by DZAG Wright

Cult = 4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

-ure = state of being

Culture = State of being of the cult

(This actually explains the crux of the problem IMHO)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Here's the thing: lots of black people seriously do not consider their racial remarks to be racist, and I don't know where this insanity came from.

We all saw it during the trial with the witness Rachel Jeantel,

but today I saw it with my father. He said 'Those (white racial slur) are gonna get what's coming to them!"

I said, "Dad, why are you being so racist?" He literally did not see that he had something offensive, and had wondered why I was 'taking up for white people'.

true insanity

The remarks are technically racist, but they hold no power because blacks hold no power in America.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DZAG Wright

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by supremecommander

The day that I was told that because of the fact that I used proper English I was "talking white"

I've never understood this. History is full of very eloquent black people that have done far more for black people than the ones crying Uncle Tom.

It seems so very backwards to think that speaking well is only for whites. To me it seems like telling a woman that because she's good at math she's a sell out to the patriarchy. Utter nonsense.

Ok so I ask. Are all cultures GOOD? Or is it possible, just possible, that some cultures can be bad and should not be followed?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Gonna say two things here:

Hate is letting people live in your head rent free time to start serving eviction notices.

Always treat others how you would expect to be treated.

That would solve 99% of the worlds problems.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
This whole thread has taken a Hilarious Twist.

So many People are Praising the Op, a Black Women, for Basically Giving them Permission to be Racist, Because Blacks are Racist Too.

That's what you got from the OP? Really?

I think you need to go back and read it again.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Shouldn't we treat fellow ATS members with the benefit of the doubt ????

Hey, I've come to terms with being labeled a "people like you"

But isn't that a form of marginalizing and discounting a persons opinion. Perhaps not "racism" but prejudice just the same.

ATS is divided and hate filled as anywhere else. This thread is a perfect example with the attacking of anyone that doesn't agree with BC.

Hypocrites!!

Do you actually think we don't see thru this transparent pandering of BC.

edit on 15-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

How do we know you aren't subtly hiding your desire to put all whites in the oven?

I never made any post on ATS putting one race down, i usually go hard on religion but not on race. I had bad and good experience with all races.

But what i really hate is when one puts their own race down for another, that boils my blood. I was merely stating the fact that she should not run away from her problem and adopting a new race, instead stay and fix.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

The majority of the attacks on me toward was the discussion of slavery, or the little that they knew about it.

I briefly mentioned slavery in the OP and it is truly ridiculous to me how blacks today feel that their 'issues' are directly related to slavery.

No one today was alive during that period, so there is no direct correlation to anyone black nor white with it. And no white person owes any apology to any black person for slavery.

This is also something that is absurd to me, which is why I don't understand white guilt.

This is pure ignorance...of course the FOUNDATION of many problems in the black community is slavery.

There actually are a few slaves still living if I'm not mistaken. I've talked to some as recently as a few years ago.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join