It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daring to be Different in the Black Community

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

Originally posted by Willtell
Reading this op, I knew it would be praised (this is a good black person according to some) but it is a delusional view!

I agree. The OP doesn't realize that by taking the position she's taking, and saying the stuff she's saying, she's gaining the praise of a bunch of white people who think she's "one of the good black people"... It's really sad and kind of sickening to me. I wasn't going to post here, but I read over the replies and see that I'm not the only one who picked up on this.

Is there a "black community"? What does that even mean? I'm so confused and saddened about this thread, I think I'll just leave my thoughts and move along...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Best thread I have seen on ATS in years. If I could give you a years worth of stars and flags I would in a heart beat.

Something is very wrong with the black culture and it has nothing to do with skin tone. It has to do with leadership and parenting. Apathy is not only accepted it is expected.

I believe things really turned for the worse with the death of Mr. King. The path to equality would have been paved with love and pride. But with his death it was paved with fear and political correctness. TPTB understood this and that is why I believe he was killed. If I could bring one man back it would Jesus first and then him. He was true prophet of love and truth.

edit on 15-7-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by Deetermined

So you think abandoning one's own culture and taking another culture is good? because the new culture has no flaws right?

OP mindset disgusts me... one can have ambition and still keep their culture.. OP seems to think abandoning her culture is the only way to advance.

for example...I do not think like my grandparents but i have not abandoned my culture, i have just refined it.

Because I like to be rational and not think based on emotion,
I don't judge a person by their skin color,
I am educated,
I don't like seeing the blight in any community,
I wear my hair natural,
Republican,
and not religious....

Hmmm...now exactly whose culture is it that I'm 'trying to embrace?'

I was on your side till you said republican.

Why cant people just be REAL, not democrat or republican.
Why would anyone want to pigeonhole themselves into a one sided ideology.
Remember that the left wing and right wing belong to the same beast.

How about being a republicrat? Or better still...a free thinker not bound by the ideologies of those that seek to control our lives.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaryStillToe

Black people who experienced extreme hate and hostility or are still living around hateful and unwelcoming white communities have learned to hate back. At face value, they can't differentiate between nice white people and bad white people. Based on their experiences, they know that most white people from their area do not like them or want to be around them. As a person from the north, I was shocked to learn they still have segregated proms so its not hard to see they are reacting to their environment.

I think if people experience a lot of hatred from others as you say that it is natural to hate back. It's the simple force principle of being met with equal force. The problem I am having is that I grew up in the South. I have lived all over the United States and there are just as many "red neck" acting guys in New York as there are in South Carolina. I have lived and traveled in Europe, Middle East, Asia, and Australia so I am not talking from a limited scope of experience.

I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have openly heard a white person speak in a racist way as if it were normal and I would not use all five fingers. The levels of tension are vastly different around the country. In Jacksonville Florida when I lived there in the 1980's you could cut the tension with a knife, but when I moved out to Texarkana Texas for a short time, I was actually stunned by the open and welcoming feeling of those living there including Blacks, Whites, and Hispanics. It's almost like you don't realize how bad it is until you get out of it. I experienced terrible tension in Cupertino California between Hispanics towards Blacks and Blacks towards Whites and Hispanics. Yet, I never felt any racism in England during the 70's and 80's, I never felt it in Germany, Austria, Switzerland or the Middle East. It is unique to America in many regards though I am sure many can tell their own horror stories. Wait, the Australians do not like many of the new Muslim immigrants or Asians as I recall, but there did not appear to be a black / white issues. I was once called a colonist by a drunk Englishman who had an axe to grind against yanks.

I have never heard of a segregated prom except for excluding gays. So where ever that is happening must surely be very odd.

I raised my children to be colorblind. We lived in mixed communities and the public schools here in some areas like where I lived were over 75% Black. My children did not understand racism all through elementary school. My middle child asked me once why she was not brown. She also never understood why people called them Black. I am sharing this as honestly as possible because it is my educated and experienced opinion that racism is learned at home. I interact with mostly whites and I have not heard in over 20 years any White person call a Black person a racist name. I have not heard any hatred spewed about blacks. So, where is the excuse for all this supposed experience of Blacks to be hating back?

I think that it is learned in the home. I think it is pushed in the Black Liberation Theology pulpits, and the race baiting likes of Sharpton and Jackson. Blacks in England did not talk with ebonics. They did not put off schooling or try to not be White by getting an education. That seems uniquely American and the outcome of that attitude is less skilled people and lower wages which they then point the finger at Whites for keeping them down! It is now acceptable for Blacks to be aggressive, rude and hurtful in attitude in the workplace. They segregate themselves and then say we are the ones to blame. Any that try to befriend a White is shunned and unless they disassociate with their White friends become unwelcome in their Black community. So, I ask, who is teaching hatred and racism? This issue has been so painful for me all my life because I truly never did care about one's race and yet after 20+ years in the workforce, I have given up. The hatred and anger is just too painful and I'd rather not be around it anymore.

I believe a lot of Blacks are perpetuating this hatred all on their own, and of course as my children who had nothing but love for their beautiful brown skinned friends slowly learned, they are not welcome. I have watched my girls now in high school no longer care if they make friends with Blacks because of all the taunting and literal beatings they got for being blonde haired blue eyed little girls.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

You really don't think the Jew's past hasn't determined their current situation and their future?

Once married to a Jewish woman.... You have no idea what your're talking about!!!

Their PAST History is precisely why they are where they are today.

I know it is!

They didn't lay around for a hundred years crying about the holocaust. They also have a relationship with Germany today. They used it as inspiration to become stronger and prosper as a people. This should be an example for blacks who still feel animosity towards white people who had nothing to do with slavery.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baddguy
reply to post by NavyDoc

Trust me...i know from first hand experience...PG is MORE racist the MoCo but the same crap..Greenbelt is by far the worst

"By the book"...this is real funny

edit on 15-7-2013 by Baddguy because: (no reason given)

It is what it is, unless your "first hand experience" was from the back of the squad car, in which case your perceptions may be a tad bit skewed.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

Because I like to be rational and not think based on emotion,
I don't judge a person by their skin color,
I am educated,
I don't like seeing the blight in any community,
I wear my hair natural,
Republican,
and not religious....

Hmmm...now exactly whose culture is it that I'm 'trying to embrace?'

Being rational and thinking does not mean putting one culture over another.

You judge an entire culture by their skin culture it seems, sadly, you, only person who can make your culture look good, is in fact abandoning and running to a new culture and sh*tting down on your own culture.

Education is not culture, every culture wants their kids to succeed. Your family issue is something else.

You don't like the blight in any community? then why are you running away? getting a replacement community is not the cure.

You wear your hair natural, good for you, i see nothing wrong with it, i like people embracing what they are born with. Not trying to be like someone else.

Republican? that's politics and media influence, not culture.

and not religious....? welcome to the team!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

The OP doesn't realize that by taking the position she's taking, and saying the stuff she's saying, she's gaining the praise of a bunch of white people who think she's "one of the good black people"...

WOW that's an outrageous assessment, and insulting to BC.

Maybe you don't like the fact we are opening the lines of communication.

edit on 013131p://bMonday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Why is that? How does knowing their history make a difference?

it is my personal belief that when you have an understanding of who your really are..no one cant tell you who you are or are not.

Many blacks think that their entire history is based on slavery..they dont know how Africans were stripped from the land and brought be slaves they never heard of the African empires or great Kings of Africa such as Mansa Musa..or the moors ruling in Europe..They think of Africa and think hungry Ethiopian kid in desert not what they want to be apart of..So they become lost and hopeless...there history is that of a slave so how can they grow to be anything better??

"when you know you can grow" i just made that up
i think

and again, separating from the problem instead of trying to remedy it to me is like sweeping dirt under the carpet or running from the problem..i care about human race as a whole

link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by hypervigilant

Besides the Celestine Prophecy, my own conclusion has been the power of the tribe and survival instincts, how easy it is to become entrapped into that cult mentality,

To cram a bunch of people into the same city, they must be made to believe that they belong to the same tribe. That is called integration. Integration is a rational solution to this problem with this instinct. That same relationship can be extended to cover the world. This is not a reasoning problem. It is a problem with an instinct (tribalism), one that cannot be solved by using another instinct (compassion). That tribal instinct has been in the inner brain for at least two million years, possibly four. Only evolution can root it out. That will take a bunch of time, like perhaps millions of years. Don't think for a minute that this problem can be solved by teaching reason (tolerance). The tribal instinct was embedded in the brain first, big and strong, long before reason came.

www.onelife.com...

I used to think multiculturalism was working, but something went haywire, TPTB noticed that it wasn't in their best interest for everyone to get along.

This is some very interesting information. In fact, it seems to answer a lot of the questions as to why racism exists- according to your article, it extends beyond the color line.

Very productive reading. Thanks!!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by gentledissident
Thank you for letting the world know that blacks can be as racist as whites. White people aren't allowed to say that. That's racist

Fortunately, I grew up in an area of Oklahoma where racism isn't an issue. I grew up around powerful and respected blacks. I'm still in the same area. The town I live in has many interracial relationships and friendships.

There's camaraderie and laughter between all people here. Strangers become instant friends. Gays are free to be gay. I'd invite all you free thinkers to come stay, but the oil boom has made it impossible to find a place.

I almost jealous! I hate living in N. Florida now. I have even thought of moving to Iceland, Norway, Ecuador, Idaho, Minnesota or N. Dakota just to get away from all the Black hatred and constant feeling of walking on egg shells because you can't talk about any issue dealing with the economy without a liberal calling you a racist. The country is broke and we have an immigration problem and welfare problem among other things, but the minute you try to talk about solutions, you are a racist! How is keeping people generation after generation begging for help via welfare a kind thing? Wouldn't it be better if we had real jobs, real skilled labor and stopped the bloated government which is ruining us? But, I am a racist for wanting people's lives to be independent, successful and not beholding to the government.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Way to not take the bait from the chronically disgruntled.

Stand by your convictions. Never let them define you.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

TY, BC, I encourage you to get the book and the experiential guide.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

yes i have been in that back of a squad car...for "disorderly conduct because i called the officer inhumane and e got pissed...like i wanted him to be
but yea..have you ever??
edit on 15-7-2013 by

because if you havent, your view may be skewed
extra DIV

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

The OP doesn't realize that by taking the position she's taking, and saying the stuff she's saying, she's gaining the praise of a bunch of white people who think she's "one of the good black people"...

What was said is 100% right... all is see is OP getting petted on the head "good black girl, go set some example to your savage kind".. that's how all the praises in the thread is like. While OP is agreeing and looking down on her own people.

Its like i said, OP is a platform for people who sees other as inferior to voice a comment but keeping it as subtle as possible so it does not sound bad

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Butter Cookie, thank you for standing up for your own beliefs and ideas. I have enjoyed your posts in other threads.
I believe in reincarnation, and that means that we have all incarnated in various skin colors, ethnicities, tribes, regions, nations, economic conditions, etc.
Buddha wanted to find a way of overcoming what one is born into, as India has for thousands of years followed the caste system. This is what America should be displaying today, that whatever we are born into, we do not have to be bound by a caste system of sorts, we can work and make our lives the best we can without constraints of caste.
It is a travesty that while slavery was still considered a normal thing worldwide, so many slaves were stolen from their homeland and brought to the States, and now we have this karma we have to deal with. I believe that certain types of power brokers have always existed on earth and have always been at the heart of the instigation of many evil things, and that power brokers have again used this to create more racial division, in spite of the attempts of many good people to stop it.
We must try to have wisdom in our understanding of these karmic conditions, because at any time we can make enough karma to find ourselves in a particular condition in the next life. This means we must learn humility and not take things for granted.
The evildoers often incarnate into entire families of wealthy elites and carry on their bloodlines through marriage. Many here at ATS talk about these bloodlines of elites who have somehow gotten most of the power for themselves and those who support them. We can see this outpictured in the power structure of politics and business.
Many people are duped into accepting the divisions heaped on them through the activities of selfish people who have never bent the knee and accepted that God is the source of all life.
Take care and perhaps you can help those around you who were duped into accepting anything less than the fullness of their highest potential.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

What was said is 100% right... all is see is OP getting petted on the head "good black girl, go set some example to your savage kind".. that's how all the praises in the thread is like. While OP is agreeing and looking down on her own people.

Its like i said, OP is a platform for people who sees other as inferior to voice a comment but keeping it as subtle as possible so it does not sound bad

Is there an echo in here????

You keep repeating yourself but you've yet to explain how going to law school or believing GZ was innocent (based on the evidence) is a 'white' thing. How is trying to better yourself or agreeing with the law being racist?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I never understood this "crabs in a bucket" mentality that exists in large sections of the black community.

You would think that anyone wanting to improve themselves, continue their education and go as far as they can in life would be applauded by the community, not looked down upon for "acting white" or "talking white" or being an "Uncle Tom".

"Keeping it real" hasn't done much for the black community in my estimation.

Obviously, this is not the case with all black people/communities, but it happens often, and all I can do is scratch my head.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Thank you for your well thought out post. I'm not black but it's pretty well known outside the black community how blacks who want to better themselves are belittled by their own.More so then other races .I never quite understood it.It should be applauded. If more thought like you did,the black community as a whole would be a lot better off.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Try to think of it as a learning experience, so are you trying to stifle butter cookies freedom to speak her mind on the issue because it doesn't suit you?

It never crossed my mind that people could twist her post this way, now that makes me wonder how negatively your mind actually works, that you and BH see this as white people giving butter cookie a little pat on the head?

Who thinks like that?

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join