It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Daring to be Different in the Black Community

page: 19
182
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
To the OP I would say thanks for the post. There are always people on the cutting edge of social change and it is never easy. You are there among the first generation of blacks who feel that society is something they can navigate in without the heavy solidarity of the black community behind them. That is progress for society as a whole. But having said that . . .

It wasn't easy being of the generations who worked so hard to galvanize and bring together the black community into large cohesive units to fight oppression either. They were you . . . a generation or two ago.

I would say honor them, as I'm sure you do . . . and make sure that they know you know where they are coming from. If you can, communicate to them that the only reason you can do what you are doing is because their struggle was successful.

You can be you because of a battle they fought and won.

In a way, you are a "messenger from the front" bringing news of a victory to them. Maybe you can help them to relax a little as individuals and be more confident of themselves and the society their struggle helped to create.

Good luck.


quoted for importance.

I hope the OP reads this post.
I know wisdom when i see it.




posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Yeah, I guess this thread is a huge, hateful, patronizing, white supremacy orgy and nothing more.


No, just patronizing and putting one on pedestal and crapping on other.



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Let's all pet butter cookie in the head
She's a good black woman. Unlike the rest of her culture! Bunch of uneducated savages I tell ya!

What a patronizing thread.



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by luciddream

"hey look at me, i abandoned my culture(which i was taught to be bad), i am better person now because i got my guidance from some other culture"


What?

So if I eat Tacos, Burritos, and Taquitos all the time that means I abandoned my other heritages?

Does the color of my skin prohibit this blasphemy?

You don't own a culture because of your race, and your race doesn't force you to follow their accustomed traditions either.

Everyone has the freedom to explore and learn about and enjoy every culture globally. You have no way to stop them. Hate them if you choose, won't make anything better though.

edit on 15-7-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)



How does the OP putting down her family and rationalizing slavery and looking at the black community as a sinking ship that deserves to drown (for its ignorance and hate because according to her the majority of all racism she's ever known about has been perpetrated by blacks) equate with "eating tacos burritos and taquitos all the time"? Was that a serious post? Should we ask her if she "still" eats fried chicken and collard greens for every meal?



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by muzzleflash
 




So if I eat Tacos, Burritos, and Taquitos all the time that means I abandoned my other heritages?


This is exactly what i mean, people are predisposed to think. uneducated, playing victims, is black culture. i mean, according to many posters here, that what she abandoned right? so people who think like that, will assume that only abandoning these things can make you better. thus black culture is bad.

But in fact those traits are not exclusive to black culture yet OP looks at these thing are black culture and we have people supporting that.


Show us where the OP says "Only black people play victims"?

If they said that it is messed up and I cannot agree with it because everyone plays a victim especially these days.

But I never actually saw them say that.



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12
 





After a thousands pages of trashing black people and Trevon Martin in particular; it's a love fest because a black person has seen the light and agrees with the white people.

It's a love fest because there is one person of color who has admitted to the world that you cannot get anywhere in life if you have ignorant speech and a victim mentality.

When was the last time you heard one member of congress speak in afro slang?
Have you ever heard of any company grow beyond one corner store with the employees speaking afro slang?

There are some simple facts in the world that no one wants to teach.



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream
 





some people see it as encouraging, but i see it as patronizing. I would never want someone coming and telling me my culture is bad and i should take up someone else's. Those people probably does not understand the culture or see it as what media wants them to see it as, a less inferior ways.


Are we not the "melting pot" of many cultures? What about Chinese, Italian, East Indian, Korean, Polish, German, Irish? These are just some of the immigrants who came to America to make a better life? These people established restaurants displaying the cuisine of their various cultures.
Who is patronizing who on culture?
By the way, I attended an annual folk festival yesterday, and one stage had two groups of people, both were gospel music. One side was an all white group with banjo and fiddle bluegrass style and the other was an all black quintet singing gospel barbershop style. Their voices were so deep and melodic it touched everyone there. The groups took turns and then at the end did one song including everyone from both groups. You should have heard the applause.
I think if people stopped perpetuating division, lots of people would get along just fine.
edit on 15-7-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amagnon
reply to post by ButterCookie
 


While Im sure you mean well - all I have to say is, who cares if you are a black woman? Why do you need to identify yourself by your race?

When do I start my posts with 'Im a Venusian hemaphrodite'?

Things will only change when people begin to see how ridiculous it is to even mention your race or sex - it simply doesnt matter - how you act, how you treat people - those things matter - the rest is just a coat of paint.


Well, the suject of the thread would be a LITTLE confusng had I not stated that....

edit on 15-7-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7
 


As much as I agree with your post...



Unlike the rest of her culture! Bunch of uneducated savages I tell ya!


As opposed to???
The uneducated savages are in all shapes, sizes and colors and uneducated doesn't mean that they didn't attend collage either.

Put a human from every single human race in a 20x20 room and put a single butter cookie in the middle and I gaurentee that every one of them will show you there savage nature.

Just saying.



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baddguy
reply to post by NavyDoc
 


yes i have been in that back of a squad car...for "disorderly conduct because i called the officer inhumane and e got pissed...like i wanted him to be
but yea..have you ever??
edit on 15-7-2013 by
edit on 15-7-2013 by Baddguy because: (no reason given)


because if you havent, your view may be skewed
edit on 15-7-2013 by Baddguy because: (no reason given)


I have been as a young man. It was my own fault entirely. extra DIV



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Yeah, I guess this thread is a huge, hateful, patronizing, white supremacy orgy and nothing more.


If you are going to label the OP's thread and ATS members responses, wouldn't this be better labeled as a human condition?


edit on 15-7-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LizardSlicks

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by luciddream

"hey look at me, i abandoned my culture(which i was taught to be bad), i am better person now because i got my guidance from some other culture"


What?

So if I eat Tacos, Burritos, and Taquitos all the time that means I abandoned my other heritages?

Does the color of my skin prohibit this blasphemy?

You don't own a culture because of your race, and your race doesn't force you to follow their accustomed traditions either.

Everyone has the freedom to explore and learn about and enjoy every culture globally. You have no way to stop them. Hate them if you choose, won't make anything better though.

edit on 15-7-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)



How does the OP putting down her family and rationalizing slavery and looking at the black community as a sinking ship that deserves to drown (for its ignorance and hate because according to her the majority of all racism she's ever known about has been perpetrated by blacks) equate with "eating tacos burritos and taquitos all the time"? Was that a serious post? Should we ask her if she "still" eats fried chicken and collard greens for every meal?



My post about me eating Tacos = Meant to reveal anyone can eat any food without betraying their racial heritage even if it comes from foreign cultures.

Your comment "Should we ask her if she still eats fried chicken?" = proves you didn't understand my point and that you are actually revealing your bias assumptions.

You say she puts her family down, but yet you ignore that they insulted and derided her for taking a political opinion they didn't agree with and used racial guilt to shame her for it?

You turn her mere opinion into a "wanting to drown the black community"? It's over the top emotional sensationalist drama and you know it.



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash
 


you are missing out on what i mean, really.

What most poster look at OP is "look she abandoned the bad ways of her black culture"... and what i mean is that is truly disturbing... they are associating bad with black.. that's my whole argument... and people are actually praising it! thus agreeing black culture is bad! because they are only looking at bad part and agreeing whole heartedly!

Tell me you don't see it as that. OP is a platform to bring out bad stereotypes, while there are many black people advanced in science and physics without becoming someone else.

I can see it as different maybe because i'm neither black or white.


Also: heading home from work
, be back in 1 hour!



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth
 


That was actually sarcasm.

As has been pointed out in a few posts, it's not only the poor black culture that sabotages itself that way. The poor and lower middle class of prettymuch all races act this way in one way or another. Seeing a person rise up out of negativity scares people.
edit on Mon, 15 Jul 2013 14:46:26 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7
 


Why because she is recalling HER struggles and being questioned on why she wants to better her own life?



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Let's just reverse the roles for a minute...and what if ButterCookie was white and from Mississippi? What if this thread was about the racism that is obviously alive and well in the deep southern states? What if this thread was about how some people from the deep south are still so backward thinking and prejudice and still think they are part of the confederacy?

Still think this thread would have gotten 100 plus stars? Hell no!

It's sad how the OP is so desperately seeking the approval of White people.



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7
 


Can't speak for others, but I would star and flag it.



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus
 


I am simply trying to shine a light in the dark. The OP has previous posts/threads where she is seeking a certain response, and this can be concluded by analyzing thread titles and post content. Not everyone responding "is an evil person" but many responding may not actually know why they are in support of the OP nor have any experiences, thoughts, or perspectives to do anything but dilute the thread with empty unfounded praise. What box am I stuck in ThirdEye? Please enlighten me on my shortsightedness, ThirdEye. You showed me how you were interpreting this thread and my responses...and then called me out on it. Hope I've cleared my position up a little bit for you. So where are we now?



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by muzzleflash
 


you are missing out on what i mean, really.

What most poster look at OP is "look she abandoned the bad ways of her black culture"... and what i mean is that is truly disturbing... they are associating bad with black.. that's my whole argument... and people are actually praising it! thus agreeing black culture is bad! because they are only looking at bad part and agreeing whole heartedly!

Tell me you don't see it as that. OP is a platform to bring out bad stereotypes, while there are many black people advanced in science and physics without becoming someone else.

I can see it as different maybe because i'm neither black or white.


Also: heading home from work
, be back in 1 hour!


Way to twist for an agenda.

The OP is about how she was called Uncle Tom by her father for taking the "Wrong political view".

You attacked her for this claim. A villainous deceptive attack I might add.

The OP clearly states they feel ostracized for attempting to get and education and form their own individual opinion on current events. People attacked her as racist, including guess who?



posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LizardSlicks
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus
 


I am simply trying to shine a light in the dark. The OP has previous posts/threads where she is seeking a certain response, and this can be concluded by analyzing thread titles and post content. Not everyone responding "is an evil person" but many responding may not actually know why they are in support of the OP nor have any experiences, thoughts, or perspectives to do anything but dilute the thread with empty unfounded praise. What box am I stuck in ThirdEye? Please enlighten me on my shortsightedness, ThirdEye. You showed me how you were interpreting this thread and my responses...and then called me out on it. Hope I've cleared my position up a little bit for you. So where are we now?


You don't even know if the OP is legit or not, we don't know that about ANYONE on ATS (or any website).

You are just assuming the OP is fake because you refuse to accept views of the world differing from your own. So you create elaborate explanations to justify labeling them with a simple word and refusing to ever address their grievances.



new topics

top topics


active topics

 
182
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

log in

join