It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daring to be Different in the Black Community

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Thirteen pages of rationalization and denial. This thread alone confirms that racism is alive and well in America.

God help us!!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baddguy

Originally posted by peck420

reply to post by muzzleflash

what other race was kept like animals in zoo's and "scientific" research done to "prove that they are inferior? not trying to make a comparison but don't try to take away what has happened to blacks in this country.. there is no equivalent. its so sick no wonder many just want to forget about it..its shaming...

Jews
Caucasians (predominantly Eastern Euros)
Asians
Indians (from India)

The world is a brutal place and has taken its toll on every race under the sun...and there are a couple that experienced far worse then what the blacks in America ever dealt with, but since all of this occurred outside the US, I doubt you will accept it...so back on to life.

truuuuuuuueeeeeee

hey dont assume i wont accept it...im always open to learn
edit on 15-7-2013 by Baddguy because: (no reason given)

Sorry for the assumption...

Just getting so used to certain responses that I forget that each poster is different.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

wow dude, im suprised....you been here 9 yrs...

where were you for the celebratory post about Osama, or Saddam or Gaddafi?

Heck, you havn't seen how TM deserved it?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by seabag

Try telling them to forget their past.

Anti-semite rings any bells?

You have a point!

It certainly hasn't held them back though, has it??

Maybe Jews should stand as inspiration.....don't let the past control your future!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

You have your ghettos, we have our reservation. You have your crap inner city schools, our kids were kidnapped at gunpoint and sent to religious boarding schools, to "tame the savages". These lovely schools were rife with sexual abuse, physical torture, mental abuse, some of them had a death rate of like 30%, and the dead were tossed into mass graves like garbage. I am not talking about hundreds of years ago here either.

Yeah, my people have a serious problem with racism too. And serious problems with drinking and drug abuse. I do not blame white people for it, I blame the scumbag psychos who ran the show. Most white people don't even know about it, let alone support it. They are ignorant, we are ignorant, most people are ignorant. Being white is not a get out of jail free card, or an instant opportunity card, go ask the "trailer trash" whites. They got it pretty bad too, they get profiled too.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bisman
im native american. and i manage to not be angry at modern white people. if only the natives of the past were slaves. that would have been so much easier then the treatment THEY got...

I vote for you for President.
Whoever you are.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by supremecommander

I think there is "banging" together which is good start now who can say banging together is the bad thing?
From both extremist camps they cannot have legitimit argument against sex...
Me personally i love all woman regardless of their color....
I dont have any issues with differently coloured male friends.
What i hate is characteristics of specific people or group of people (which is being group by that characteristics)
which are not willing to change no matter what but know very well that they are creating pressure in society playing on some highly sensitive note (eg.colour of skin)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

First of all, thank you for your forthcoming nature and honesty. Those two qualities are very much welcome here.

In the past I feel I was rather blunt with my assessments of your situation, in that I advised you to just leave your family and never look back. While that is the most effective solution, it's not always the easiest. You're a woman of higher eduction surrounded by people who aren't, so I'm sure you're capable of figuring out how to handle them in a way that keeps you sleeping sound at night.

The black community isn't the only one that looks down on the educated. With them, the educated blacks are sell-outs.....Uncle Toms. In the white community they're nerds and losers. In the Mexican community, it's much the same as the black in that the educated are turning their backs on their culture. What they fail to realize, in my opinion, is that people like you, whether it's intentional or not, are wanting to elevate the status of your culture. That means change, and that's what they're opposed to I think.

Whether it's black, white, Mexican or whatever, the people who oppose change are typically the ones who need to be controlled. You see them on the streets all the time. The one's who seem to be backwards in their thinking are are quick to latch onto petty and negative news stories and negative situations in the own neighborhoods, because they seem to be wanting to fight amongst each other. They do this because they're frustrated that they can't seem to change in pace with the world around them. And they can't do this because they're uneducated. It's a Catch 22 of their own making. They're prisoners of their own device.

I don't know about you SC, but I don't want people like that controlling me or just running loose with no limitations. They need to stay reined in and keep to their own. The worst among them end up in prison. The passive among them stay in the ghettos and low income neighborhoods spending all of their time, it seems, breeding a continuing population. And that's ALL they do because we as a society let it happen in the name of human rights and the freedom to live as you wish. We shame ourselves by allowing people to live like this.

The best among them though,are people like you SC. You were born into that way of life, but somewhere along the way it seems, something snapped. You looked around and said to yourself: "I don't think so home-girl, you aint going down like that"

The bottom line, from what you've posted, is that your family isn't going to change you, and you aren't going to change your family. In my opinion, you're doing both yourself and them a disservice by continuing to associate with them. All you're doing is showing them a person, you, that they can only hope to aspire to be, but don't want to because of societal stigma's. It's like showing a man whose dying of thirst a glass of water that he doesn't want to take, because of the person offering it. It's stupid. The sooner you learn this lesson concerning your family and applying it to everyone else out there like them, the sooner you're going to be at peace with yourself.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

reply to post by seabag

keep it 100 now sir.....unless a Jew is wearing a yamaka....is his skin more like a white person or a black person???

a white man with a yamaka is a Jew

a black man with a yamaka is a black man with a yamaka

not funny but funny

point is jew is not a race...and the Jews have the bible on their side as the chosen people
blacks are a curse..

what are you talking about, there are black jews.

en.wikipedia.org...

im glad you find yourself so funny, i dont.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The OP has some very good points.

Now, we need to hear more from folks with similar experiences but more importantly, we need to hear from non-black people (white, Asian, Latino, Native American, etc) who have/were raised in a black community and were also ostracized by their family, friends and called "oreo" or "n**** lover" or "wigger" or whatever. We need to hear your experiences because they are all relevant.
edit on 15-7-2013 by Jaellma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

wow dude, im suprised....you been here 9 yrs...

where were you for the celebratory post about Osama, or Saddam or Gaddafi?

Heck, you havn't seen how TM deserved it?

I don't know?
What do you mean?

I don't know anything about Osama if he even existed.
I usually wonder about Saddam and if the "executed him" was actually a double. Did anyone debunk the teeth thing?
And Qaddafi? I don't think he should have been ousted the way he was, it seemed like a war crime to attack Libya like that. Don't ya think?

What does that have to do with these current events though?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

reply to post by seabag

Try telling them to forget their past.

Anti-semite rings any bells?

You have a point!

It certainly hasn't held them back though, has it??

Maybe Jews should stand as inspiration.....don't let the past control your future!

You really don't think the Jew's past hasn't determined their current situation and their future?

Once married to a Jewish woman.... You have no idea what your're talking about!!!

Their PAST History is precisely why they are where they are today.
edit on 15-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by TKDRL

hey lets get one thing straight..i dont just blame white people...i blame everybody..i blame blacks for not unifying and rising up, teaching and learning, i blame whites for not understand and denying and restricting.

but thats just me

link   

i was saying people celebrated their death on ATS, including TMs.

Sorry lol, i should have been more clear.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

You have heard of the Jews havent you.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

you missed my point but what ev

your glad..but dont find it funny..ok

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by howler1369

yes ive been corrected..but Jews are white to black people...and if there are black Jews like one stated earlier than why cant we call them white Jews??

Jew without a Yamaka is going to be viewed as white...dont lie to yourselves

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

mostly because of how i was raised..not to run from the problem or sweep my dirt under the carpet..

I'm not sure how anyone sees the OP as running from the problem. It sounds to me like she points out her differences in thinking without abandoning her family or anyone else in the process.

being called the "n word" by whites is ore hurtful to me then being called uncle tom because to me uncle to carries a jealous tone rather than a hateful one.

That's understandable.

Kids in my niaghborhood born in 1997 tell me crap like they cat do this or that because they feel its for white people or they are not white or white girls are prettier than black girls or i want my babies to "light skinded" and this hurts my heart from the bottom.

Why do they think like that? Parents? Too much Hollywood exposure? What?

the same kids who look up to me and feel im more capable then them...i must be an example for them
and my peers who weren't given the same encouragement that i was growing. I will be there encouragement..while you all sit here and say crap like "racism ended years ago" . I tell black youths in my neighborhood in this day about what folks here on ATS say and they laugh..its absolutely unbelievable to them.

No one believes that racism has ended. For the people who are yelling racism the loudest, we just want to hear what their personal experiences have been or what makes them feel like the OP has abandoned everyone that is black?

these kids know nothing of who they are or their history which is my belief where all the problems stem from

Why is that? How does knowing their history make a difference?

you may be blind to the problem but i am not

I'm not blind to it, I just want to understand why people don't want to separate themselves from it and keep perpetuating it.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

reply to post by OneManArmy

you missed my point but what ev

your glad..but dont find it funny..ok

no I did get your point, I apologise for being blunt.
but history is full of slavery and justifications for it for pretty much every race on earth.
as already stated, we didnt enslave the native americans we just slaughtered them.

people that do horrible things have to justify it not only to themselves but also to people that are not coldblooded.
hence the "zoo's" and "scientific" justifications given in the past.
we see it today with the muslims, they are dehumanised in the media so its okay for us to go invade their countries and slaughter their families for profit.

not much has changed in all these years, people are still just as gullible and easily led and narcissistic as they ever were.

edit on 15-7-2013 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

reply to post by Deetermined

So you think abandoning one's own culture and taking another culture is good? because the new culture has no flaws right?

OP mindset disgusts me... one can have ambition and still keep their culture.. OP seems to think abandoning her culture is the only way to advance.

for example...I do not think like my grandparents but i have not abandoned my culture, i have just refined it.

Because I like to be rational and not think based on emotion,
I don't judge a person by their skin color,
I am educated,
I don't like seeing the blight in any community,
I wear my hair natural,
Republican,
and not religious....

Hmmm...now exactly whose culture is it that I'm 'trying to embrace?'

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join