It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daring to be Different in the Black Community

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Keep it up Muzzle, you're making the most sense here.
The ones insulting the OP are clearly proving the OPs point. It may not be the intent, but some just refuse to see it.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This might sound off-topic.... Though someone great once said...

"Can't we all just get along"???

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I was born in Wisconsin, and somehow I ended up in Texas most of my family are ultra conservatives that vote Republican no matter what. I guess I'm the only liberal in my family and I've been called a "bleeding heart liberal" several times by my father.

Also I know that some of my family members were involved in the KKK and all those disgusting racist groups back in the 50's and 60's.

My point is, that there are uneducated racists people in EVERY culture and they are not confined to a certain skin color or culture, and the OP is somehow making all of you believe that being racist and uneducated is a trait of the black culture and that's sad.

This thread just exposes a lot of ATS posters

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Let's just reverse the roles for a minute...and what if ButterCookie was white and from Mississippi? What if this thread was about the racism that is obviously alive and well in the deep southern states? What if this thread was about how some people from the deep south are still so backward thinking and prejudice and still think they are part of the confederacy?

Still think this thread would have gotten 100 plus stars? Hell no!

It's sad how the OP is so desperately seeking the approval of White people.

What is a Straw Man argument and why is it a logical fallacy and why should we toss it in the garbage with other similar trashy-claims of no edible substance?

is a type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[3] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and to refute it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.[3][4]

Your post is the perfect example of using a logical fallacy as a result of having no legitimate argument and yet need one desperately because you are angry and must argue!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I was born in Wisconsin, and somehow I ended up in Texas most of my family are ultra conservatives that vote Republican no matter what. I guess I'm the only liberal in my family and I've been called a "bleeding heart liberal" several times by my father.

Also I know that some of my family members were involved in the KKK and all those disgusting racist groups back in the 50's and 60's.

My point is, that there are uneducated racists people in EVERY culture and they are not confined to a certain skin color or culture, and the OP is somehow making all of you believe that being racist and uneducated is a trait of the black culture and that's sad.

All of the OP and related posts are the exact opposite.

You are lying (to yourself??) because you are mad your "side" (which doesn't even actually exist) lost a stupid trial (that doesn't even involve us personally?).
Using straw men arguments and everything.
edit on 15-7-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
wow you really get it !!!!!!!! star & flag !!!!!!!! all your bullet points are right on!!!! you are one very intelligent women who will not bow to peer pressure
i wish you could get your family & friends to support your views

link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

All of the OP and related posts are the exact opposite.

You are lying (to yourself??) because you are mad your "side" (which doesn't even actually exist) lost a stupid trial (that doesn't even involve us personally?).
Using straw men arguments and everything.
edit on 15-7-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

The Zimmerman trial? I didn't even know this thread had anything to do with that honestly lol but okay yeah you can claim I'm lying all you want and frankly I don't care.

Being ignorant and racist is not a specific trait of the black culture, that exists in every group.

Oh wait that's a lie right?

link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

You were replying to a post about "abandoning culture". The OP has done much more to that than eat some other food based upon what beliefs and ideas she has that she has shared, yet you equated her encompassing aversion and far reaching put down of the black community as a whole to you eating mexican food. Trust me there was nothing in your post that was too abstract for somebody else to appreciate. It just wasn't accurate or as effective a comparison as you believe it to be. It was a worthless response because of how irrelevant the comparison was which I paralleled with the part in my post about stereotypical african american food.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
All of you in the anti-BC crowd have totally taken the OP out of context. You're reading too deep into it, your deep seated racism is showing. You are putting words into her mouth to suit your own feelings. smh.

BC is upset because her BLACK family frowns upon her going to law school. How is that racist? Because she's upset? Is she supposed to just go make babies and live on welfare or work at a Wal-Mart?

Some of you posters are soo delusional and it makes me scared to think that the genes of that type of rationalizing and perception of life are being passed on.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

You think being called a bleeding heart liberal is the same as being called a uncle tom? I think the op is just stating racism is everywhere.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Being ignorant and racist is not a specific trait of the black culture, that exists in every group.

Oh wait that's a lie right?

No being racist isn't a specific trait of any race or culture.

Who said that? Care to quote?

If you cannot show us a quote, than what are you attempting to achieve by your comment?
And why are you disagreeing with the OP? The OP seems to agree with you here.

Yep, yall agree. So what's the problem?
Don't you think it's messed up her parents called her racist for a silly political disagreement ?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

To be fair, to some right wing nutjobs, not being a republican is considered being a race traitor.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
2 things;

1 - If only there were more people in the world like you. You are a credit to yourself and the everyone around you

2 - Afro's are BY FAR the coolest haircuts known to mankind, period. You keep rocking it girl!

Thanks for the inspiring post
SnF

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

the same can be said about the dems Herman Cain comes to mind.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

exposes them for what exactly?

personally Im of the opinion that the debate needs to be had, because without understanding each other we will never realise we are all the same. racial discussion, along with politics and religion are always the most heated debates. and you will also have those that seek to derail the discourse. i think this thread overall has been positive, except for the few shooting down the messenger for the OP framed the discussion
the sad fact remains that as long as people stay ignorant, this conversation keeps needing to be had, regardless of how condescending or patronizing it seems to you.
maybe you are past the black vs white and find this discussion patronizing but there are plenty of people that arent.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Let's all pet butter cookie in the head She's a good black woman. Unlike the rest of her culture! Bunch of uneducated savages I tell ya!

What a patronizing thread.

Stereotypes are there for a reason….to point out ACTUAL realities. The situation the OP described actually happened to her! Racism and cultural dependency are a real part of life in her family and a real problem for many blacks (look it up). I’m surprised there are so many people that are saying exactly the same type of nonsense her family members said to her.

The OP isn’t trying to become something she’s not nor did I get the vibe that she’s trashing her culture. What I got from the OP is that she’s basically being shunned by some blacks for not walking lock step with everything blacks are supposed to agree with (according to many blacks - like supporting the first black President). Every black person that goes against the grain (especially politically…Herman Cain, Clarence Thomas, Condi Rice, Michael Steele, etc) gets raked over the coals by other blacks for “not being black” or “trying to be white”. This is ridiculous!

Who are the only people in this thread that keep telling the OP she’s not acting right? Who are the people that keep saying that whites are “patting her on the head for being a good black”??

I must ask….who are the real racists?

edit on 15-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Oh, I get it, BC doesn't condone the culture that glorifies the type of behavior in this thread so she's a racist? www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=959333

Am I right?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw
This might sound off-topic.... Though someone great once said...

"Can't we all just get along"???

On ATS? It's the debate and exchange of ideas that make this a great site. Half the time I'm just playing a devils advocate for the sake of a vital and vibrant debate.

And this is coming from a marginalized "people like You"

I don't really have any emotional investment in the threads. If you really knew who I am....you would know why!

edit on 15-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Great post. I look forward to the day when al races no longer see color. Sadly, I see so much reverse racism the equality scales are still out of whack. All people are equal regardless of color or social economic status or religious affiliation. I grew up an impoverished white boy, I know what it is like to be among minorities as I was one within my own race.

We need more people with backbone and integrity like yourself.

Golden

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneManArmy

exposes them for what exactly?

personally Im of the opinion that the debate needs to be had, because without understanding each other we will never realise we are all the same. racial discussion, along with politics and religion are always the most heated debates. and you will also have those that seek to derail the discourse. i think this thread overall has been positive, except for the few shooting down the messenger for the OP framed the discussion
the sad fact remains that as long as people stay ignorant, this conversation keeps needing to be had, regardless of how condescending or patronizing it seems to you.
maybe you are past the black vs white and find this discussion patronizing but there are plenty of people that arent.

I agree 100% with you.

We NEED this debate! We must iron this crap out and face our problems head on!

That is how we solve our misunderstandings and differences, by talking and working them out!

Patience and calm are indispensable qualities about right now as well.

I see this entire thing as progress already. I feel like our society is taking a step forward through this controversy.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join