It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daring to be Different in the Black Community

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by muzzleflash

you are missing out on what i mean, really.

What most poster look at OP is "look she abandoned the bad ways of her black culture"... and what i mean is that is truly disturbing... they are associating bad with black.. that's my whole argument... and people are actually praising it! thus agreeing black culture is bad! because they are only looking at bad part and agreeing whole heartedly!

Tell me you don't see it as that. OP is a platform to bring out bad stereotypes, while there are many black people advanced in science and physics without becoming someone else.

I can see it as different maybe because i'm neither black or white.

Also: heading home from work
, be back in 1 hour!

Way to twist for an agenda.

The OP is about how she was called Uncle Tom by her father for taking the "Wrong political view".

You attacked her for this claim. A villainous deceptive attack I might add.

The OP clearly states they feel ostracized for attempting to get and education and form their own individual opinion on current events. People attacked her as racist, including guess who?

I have encountered people like luciddream, who truly cannot wrap their heads around someone like me..

It is an attitude I see mostly in liberals, white and black, especially white, that don't beleive in blacks who have 'successfully left the plantation'.

I say that because this particular group despises other 'ButterCookie's", perhaps we pose some sort of threat (?)

Shouldn't be like that....

But even in my thread about why I left the Democratic Party as a Black Woman, I saw these kinds of responses.."She isn't a real person...yaddah yaddah." Again, the crab that escaped the barrel is a MYTH to them...
edit on 15-7-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish

BC is upset because her BLACK family frowns upon her going to law school. How is that racist? Because she's upset? Is she supposed to just go make babies and live on welfare or work at a Wal-Mart?

Why? Who said that? Is that what black people are supposed to do? Stay out of this thread dude it never goes well for you even in a room full of likeminded individuals you will always be the fool who says too much aloud and makes everyone nervous about their status.

And muzzleflash, I just noticed you responded to another of my posts a page back or so where you jumped very far ahead on the conclusion ladder and decided that I believe the OP is a fake account...............poor guy this has got to be a confusing thread for you to be so active in if THAT'S what you drew out of everything I've said. Jeez, I overestimated you with your long membership status high post count and usually educated/informed tidbits.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Great post OP
. Racism is never an easy thing to discuss. I can only hope things will get better. Some day we will all get along.

"They never will learn. No. You can't teach a Sneetch!"
But McBean was quite wrong. I'm quite happy to say
that the Sneetches got really quite smart on that day,
the day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches
and no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches.
That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars
and whether they had one, or not, upon thars. --Dr. Seuss, The Sneetches

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I feel really sad for the OP because of what her thread has become..

There are a large number of you that should be ashamed of yourselves.

The OP is simply sharing her opinions on racism, reverse racism and the hypocrisy of it all. She is also pointing out that even in this day and age an entire race is still stuck on events that occurred over a hundred years ago.

The OP has shown massive courage today posting this thread knowing full well what it might turn into yet she did it anyway. Why? Because this is something that all races need to start talking about.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

Originally posted by sulaw
This might sound off-topic.... Though someone great once said...

"Can't we all just get along"???

On ATS? It's the debate and exchange of ideas that make this a great site. Half the time I'm just playing a devils advocate for the sake of a vital and vibrant debate.

And this is coming from a marginalized "people like You"

In a heated thread, I tried to spread a quirk of a smile
trying...

Wait...
What do you mean.... "people like You"

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LizardSlicks

I'm not afraid to say what's on my mind. Do you have a problem with that?

Dude, it's individuals like you putting words into the OP's mouth. You think you know what she "means" by what she said when the fact is you should just take her words at face value.

edit on 15-7-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

It is an attitude I see mostly in liberals, white and black, especially white, that don't beleive in blacks who have 'successfully left the plantation'.

Gotta agree with this as how can people truly become equals when their differences are constantly pointed out for political manipulation.

When that stops if ever can we the people ever truly be free.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Honestly in any environment being different...as I also am...is frowned upon. your case is just one of the many ways this comes about. Try wearing what you like and not following any trends or even being vegetarian, not caring about expensive "stuff" really the majority want us all to be carbon copies.
Not many can see what I do that the variety is wonderful and to be enjoyed.

edit on 15-7-2013 by Char-Lee because: sp

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LizardSlicks

You were replying to a post about "abandoning culture". The OP has done much more to that than eat some other food based upon what beliefs and ideas she has that she has shared, yet you equated her encompassing aversion and far reaching put down of the black community as a whole to you eating mexican food. Trust me there was nothing in your post that was too abstract for somebody else to appreciate. It just wasn't accurate or as effective a comparison as you believe it to be. It was a worthless response because of how irrelevant the comparison was which I paralleled with the part in my post about stereotypical african american food.

How is striving for an education and certain political beliefs abandoning "black culture?" Would not equating such things to a racial group a racist stance?

If striving for an education is "abandoning black culture" then are you not suggesting that lack of education is part of black culture?
edit on 15-7-2013 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I see this entire thing as progress already. I feel like our society is taking a step forward through this controversy.

I hope your are right....

But as I watch Fox and posting at the same time; it looks as if the exact opposite is transpiring. Sorry!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
In my mind and in my heart, people are just people. It's only circumstances that differ. And when enough people share in a circumstance, they begin to identify themselves by that circumstance and label themselves as said circumstance. Then they label those who don't share in it as "other." To me, that's the true source of racism and divisions in our human family (I do see us as one family, even though I get a lot of flack for that from people all across the human spectrum.)

I once had a conversation with a black friend during which he realized that virtually everything he identified as culturally "black" was true of me as well, simply because I had grown up very impoverished and in the inner city. I said, "Well, that's a circumstance. That's now who we are. And it can apply to anyone equally, regardless of ethnicity. Who we are is distinct from the circumstance, even if it does shape us and influence who we are." He got angry and said, "Yeah, but your parents and grandparents didn't get sprayed with fire hoses just for standing up for their rights." It was food for thought for both of us in different ways, and I actually did concede the point.

What I've come to believe is this. Racism does exist and so-called white privilege also exists. As one of my favorite comedians once said, "If you're white, even if you aren't racist, you benefit from racism whether you want to or not or know it or not." Double standards exist in the justice system, and sometimes they're predicated upon ethnicity or profiling and sometimes they aren't. When it's obvious that they are, I think there's an impetus to stand up against that. But sometimes it isn't the case even when people are inclined to think it is, or it isn't fully clear whether it is or not. That's when it becomes complicated and such divisions and conflicts emerge.

Because people identify with their circumstance and make it part of their identity, if there's a question as to whether something was unjust or wasn't, people factionalize and polarize along circumstantial lines. (What they mislabel ethnic lines in my opinion. To me, there are no ethnic lines. Only circumstantial ... and especially financial... lines.)

In short, I love everyone and view everyone as my family. The real adversary to us all, from where I sit, is the war against the middle class and the expansion of poverty. The last thing those with the power and the money to shape our national narrative and perception want is for us to be unified and at peace with one another. Factionalization benefits them and gives them lots of strawmen for us to rally around. I refuse to play that game personally. That doesn't mean I won't speak out against injustice when I see it. It does mean I refuse to see people as something other than what I am. Part of the human family.

And on a personal note, your father's response was heartbreaking, OP.
When racism is more important to a father than his relationship with his cherished daughter, we as a society have come too far.

Peace.
edit on 7/15/2013 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

reply to post by LizardSlicks

dude i reposted your post, i think its one of the best replies in this thread. But see how many starts you got? lol shows a lot of the mentality of this crowd.

It is refreshing to see that so few follow the programmed group-think that seems to pervade our society and rather have formed opinions of their own due to diligent research.

Abandoning her culture? Seems to me that she is contributing to her own personal culture that she sees will bring her fulfillment. Isn't that what you've said you're doing?

ButterCookie, love ya!

Been a fan of yours for some time, I nearly choked laughing so hard when I read the posts questioning your sincerity or even existence as real.

The very real racism you describe has been verbotten to even mention for so long that it is refreshing to see being discussed openly.

My dad is somewhat bigoted, thankfully that has not managed to gain purchase in me nor my children.

Happy to see that the facts prevailed in the circus (Zimmerman trial) and that the clowns running the show haven't duped everyone; disturbing though at the number of people that have been duped.

I'm a restaurant manager for a brand most here would probably recognize, and it is interesting to listen to people talk about the case. It is very apparent when discussing the topic that those who got their information from media sources (facebook included) primarily have the opinion that GZ should have been convicted while those who watched the trial and were able to separate fact from emotion are able to see that it was clearly self-defense.

This issue (racism) is but one of many tools used to drive a wedge between people who otherwise would get along perfectly well. There are many such tools used to such effect; allegiance to sports teams, celebrity worship, political party affiliation just to name a few.

If we were to stop fighting amongst ourselves, more people might just look up long enough to notice that those in charge do not have our bests interests at heart.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I see this entire thing as progress already. I feel like our society is taking a step forward through this controversy.

But as I watch Fox and posting at the same time; it looks as if the exact opposite is transpiring. Sorry!

If you EVER watch the MSM be prepared to be fooled.

What you think those garbage outlets and their garbage opinions have any bearing on real humans in real society? I hope not.

I hope everyone turns that nonsense off asap. It only hurts and clouds minds.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
I feel really sad for the OP because of what her thread has become..

There are a large number of you that should be ashamed of yourselves.

DaMod,

I would have to disagree and rather than be ashamed it would be much more productive for those individuals to come back a few days later and reread their posts.

The fact that the crowd in opposition to BC's original claims are proving her to be right not only in the black community, but other communities, as well, accentuates that this condition appears to be synonymous in all humans.

edit on 15-7-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Holy crap that is horrible and wrong that you're judged because you have different beliefs. I really get upset when I hear about someone's family not accepting them because of their beliefs and lifestyles. I'm glad you're doing and believing what you want, hopefully your family comes around.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

This thread is awesome, BC! The haters are popping out of the woodwork!!

It looks as though many here have been well indoctrinated….

You can’t be seen as turning against your race, BC!

Quick, post something positive about Obama!!

edit on 15-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

you are missing out on what i mean, really.

What most poster look at OP is "look she abandoned the bad ways of her black culture"... and what i mean is that is truly disturbing... they are associating bad with black.. that's my whole argument... and people are actually praising it! thus agreeing black culture is bad! because they are only looking at bad part and agreeing whole heartedly!

Tell me you don't see it as that. OP is a platform to bring out bad stereotypes, while there are many black people advanced in science and physics without becoming someone else.

I can see it as different maybe because i'm neither black or white.

Also: heading home from work
, be back in 1 hour!

Maybe people should consider abandoning all the stereotypes instead of bashing people who don't want to be stuck in it.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

If you EVER watch the MSM be prepared to be fooled.

What you think those garbage outlets and their garbage opinions have any bearing on real humans in real society? I hope not.

I hope everyone turns that nonsense off asap. It only hurts and clouds minds.

If you honestly think that Rush and Beck have no bearing on real humans in real society....
I can show you astonishing statistics on their actual impact politically and culturally. They are AM Gods!!!!
People aren't going to turn off any media that supports their ideologies and personal agendas and the radio Gods will continue to give their audience what they crave; a place to belong. Much like ATS....

link   

Originally posted by seabag

The OP isn’t trying to become something she’s not nor did I get the vibe that she’s trashing her culture. What I got from the OP is that she’s basically being shunned by some blacks for not walking lock step with everything blacks are supposed to agree with (according to many blacks - like supporting the first black President). Every black person that goes against the grain (especially politically…Herman Cain, Clarence Thomas, Condi Rice, Michael Steele, etc) gets raked over the coals by other blacks for “not being black” or “trying to be white”. This is ridiculous!

edit on 15-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

That's all you got out of the OP because that's all your listening for and the only part you understand. What is "everything blacks are supposed to agree with"? Seriously, is that a thing where a portion of the black population has an inflammatory viewpoint and this is the voice being thrust into the microphone, this is what we can hear, so that must be what they think and feel? I know you are not trying to be unfair or insensitive but do you see how easily it is to just skim over the top of these things and not give it a second or third thought and thus end up without a true picture of what is going on, especially so when you have only ever occupied one side of the spectrum. It has nothing to do with embittered blacks blindly celebrating Obama as a black president, or anything close to that. It has to do with what you are accustomed to listening for and the understanding or lack thereoff that you have acquired from this flawed method of media that is reinforced by the absence of a balanced foundation for understanding such inequalities to begin with. How do we know we're wrong if we're told otherwise?

link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Maybe people should consider abandoning all the stereotypes instead of bashing people who don't want to be stuck in it.

And Labels save one:

One that transcends race warfare,class warfare, sex warfare etc.

The only label that is all inclusive and is the epitome of EQUALITY.

American.

I am an American nothing else.
edit on 15-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join