It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do moral values survive after the SHTF?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

maybe but i dont going around telling people i am gonna shoot whoever looks suspicious.

as i already posted i follow the law now if the shtf takes place i will still follow the law

the true survivalist motto: its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it..

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
Pockets of normalcy will remain. If one could even call it that. somewhat normal and moral as can be given the situation.

The rest would just be a flood of immoral trash. Some would eventually join up to get the good things a working society has to offer back in their lives.

I look at those pockets as seeds for the return of civility. As long as they dont get too much water or dont dry out, and are kept warm they may sprout and grow. Its going to take people with big picture vision as well as morality to keep things together though.

i agree that some communities would do better than others.
compare, New Hampshire to Bangladesh, Danemark to Haiti.

depending on the strenght of it's institutions.

please, study FEMA on line and local classes, become a volunteer, find out where your community is in preparedness.

even without joining, they offer classes such as "animal first aid", which is valuable even without SHTF.

and when sent to an area hit by tornadoes, etc, you'll see how society recovers.

but in an extreme SHTF situation, your community might be on it's own.

and the more your locals are trained to work together, the better the chance of basic civilization surviving.

i'm a volunteer in a disaster response team, and when not helping others with real problems, we train to become more useful volunteers.

this year over 22 million courses by FEMA were completed.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Do moral values survive after the SHTF?

Maybe for a short time but it will fade quickly. It will not take long until we turn into cavemen with machine guns. With no meaning for money any more and no way to make more goods it mean that what is around at the time IT happens is all there will be for long time and maybe forever. The only way to resupply is going to be to take it from others and that will mean force and killing. The idea of trading is not going to be as wide spread as most thing . Most are going to want to keep what they have and get yours too. Just think how fast things are going to run out. Batteries for a flashlight will be worth their weight in gold. Somethings will be beyond valve such as meds of all types. So back to the question , the answer is NO.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
How will you know where to go to find good people with morals? I first thought about the police stations/churches/schools. Places that people respect in todays world. (well, police stations are out as of late, but still) Once you have to leave your house, you will need to form groups. How ya gonna find these people in a urban area? Where will the good people that haven't prepared that well and need to band together be?

What about the children that are gonna need to be taken care of? Could anyone honestly kill a childs mother or the child to feed there own? I don't think I could, so, I would probably be one of the first to go.

just a couple of thoughts.....

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
You can't even walk down my street right know without getting your ipod stolen. where's the morality now?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

in the first 1-2 years, it will be chaos.

a few areas will be spared - and the cities will not.

just read up on the future according to john titor. it's all there , +/- 20% flux.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I think it totally depends on how much S has hit the fan. Take Joplin for instance....yes the SHTF, however, there was still law and order. So there was some organization and the police to stop looters, and the Red Cross.

But what if you took the police and national guard away? And threw in people left on their own to care for injured people, and seeing to their dead, and no resources for food or water? I think it's a totally different situation.

In the second scenario, I think it would get ugly real fast. AND even if there were people who had been preparing for SHTF situations, the tornado might have wiped out all of their preparations. So unless you buried food and water in your backyard....but how are you going to get it? And if you dug it up, once your desparate neighbors saw you with food and water...you may be attacked and have it taken from you.

Not sure what the answer is. Maybe personal preparedness. The ability to assess situations you may find yourself in, and be able to make good decisions fast, like knowing when to get the heck out of Dodge....

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
After reading most of the responses to the OP, I am amazed at the level of naiveté some profess.

With a SHTF event followed by societal collapse the answer to the morality question is for the sheep. Of course morality as we practice today will no longer exists.

When the dusts starts to settle what will emerge will resemble Tribal communities. Morality will resume within each Tribe, but will not be extended to other tribes. The way of it will be one tribe conquers another and enslaves its members. This is the way nations will grow out of nothing.

Remember this, that No great society has ever been built without Slavery.

So, if you are still with us after the event, be careful, the possibility of ending up in Slavery will be great.

And if you cross my path the chance of slavery is 100%.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by David291

And I would say that's agreeable;
Provided I thought I would be able to make it out myself in one piece, I would have no problem doing that.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by brokedown
After reading most of the responses to the OP, I am amazed at the level of naiveté some profess.

With a SHTF event followed by societal collapse the answer to the morality question is for the sheep. Of course morality as we practice today will no longer exists.

When the dusts starts to settle what will emerge will resemble Tribal communities. Morality will resume within each Tribe, but will not be extended to other tribes. The way of it will be one tribe conquers another and enslaves its members. This is the way nations will grow out of nothing.

So, if you are still with us after the event, be careful, the possibility of ending up in Slavery will be great.

Wow there really are some morales, if that's a word, people here. So by your statement your looking to inslave people when the SHTF. Great. The world is really F'ed up!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
maybe but i dont going around telling people i am gonna shoot whoever looks suspicious.

as i already posted i follow the law now if the shtf takes place i will still follow the law

the true survivalist motto: its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it..

You would follow the law? Sorry to hear about you starving to death because you refused to "steal" a can of peaches from your local abandoned grocery store.

Morals and laws are not even remotely the same. I wont buy beer for a 20 year old because it is against the law. It isn't against my morals, because what do I care if a 20 year old wants to have a few beers after work?

I wouldn't sleep with a married woman because it is against my morals, but isn't against the law.

Killing someone I feel is a direct threat to my family's safety is not against my morals. Now, if I saw a woman walking in my direction in a SHTF scenario with 3 kids in tow, I think it's safe to say they are of little danger. I'd probably even help them out as I am quite compassionate.

If I saw someone walking towards me that looks like they came right out of a Mad Max scene, complete with human bones for armor, I can almost guarantee that is one disturbed individual, and will not take my chances. What I will take is a shot from 300 yards.

Trust me. In a SHTF scenario, that guy you bump into will be eying your female companions, food, ammo, supplies, etc. like a starving dog salivating over a filet mignon.

Follow your heart and you'll get yourself killed. Follow your gut... you'll survive longer.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I asked someone the other day this exact question, he told me he'd start raping women. He is no longer with us on this plane of existence.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
I asked someone the other day this exact question, he told me he'd start raping women. He is no longer with us on this plane of existence.

Wow! If I seen that that person would no longer be walking on this earth

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Nope.. humans will revert to the animals they are.. only humans are worse than animals.. animals don't wait by the side of the road to ambush you and steal everything you have and then leave you to die.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Explanation: Yes they do!

14 hours in Hell, 4 days to Home (by TheRedneck
posted on 1-5-2011 @ 03:01 PM) [ATS]

Amazing Survival Video: Group Saved In Gas Station Beer Cooler During MO F5 Tornado! (by burntheships posted on 25-5-2011 @ 10:49 AM) [ATS]

Personal Disclosure: The level of SHTF! that's truely being discussed here has a survival rate of 0% for those that are even prepared .... because it will be 1000's of yrs before things stabilize in an event of that magnitude!

And in the mean time law of the jungle is very harsh sudden and brutal teacher... But OL notes that herds evolve due to self interest and the benefits they bring!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
If / when the SHTF, everyone that enters my sight better look like a cuddly bunny, or they will be dead. I will take no chances in a lawless, chaotic world.

Hell, better watch out for for fuzzy bunny types too...that s%$t could be a set-up..you never know.
I'm not joking either.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

WHOSE moral values. WHICH moral values. "Moral values" are in rampant conflict from one group to another.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

There are those of us will be watching closely for that - expecting others to try it.
It happened once.
I can assure you it won't happen again.
edit on 17-6-2011 by PaganArchangel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Wow there really are some morales, if that's a word, people here. So by your statement your looking to inslave people when the SHTF. Great. The world is really F'ed up!

Humankind has to be the most dysfunctional species in the Universe.
I'm willing to lay odds on it.
(Place your bets here)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Originally posted by LightAssassin

Wow! If I seen that that person would no longer be walking on this earth

Thats what I was implying.

I didnt really kill him, but he is definitely on my watch list for when SHTF

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join