It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potassium Iodide Runs Low as Americans Seek It Out

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
It's not for the Post Office at all.
It's for those in the underground.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

With the state of affairs in this world currently if opportunity to prepare is available and should be to everyone that is my position and the govt. hoarding , which by the way yes, they are! then I am to believe that when tshtf here in u.s. we will be in good shape right?? wrong!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I went to a drug store where i live when i read this earlier today and they told me they usualy don't even carry more then two or three bottles at a time.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I'm in New Zealand & pharmacies had limited supply left.
I also found that there was more per mg in the Sea Kelp tablets from the health food store.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Well, their job is based OUTSIDE...while most of us work INSIDE....someone at the USPS is with me on "better safe than sorry" wagon...Now, let's see how many USPS postmen and women are there on the Western US? Times 14 (1pack)...plus all truck drivers and other mail handlers...say 120,000??? Keep in mind, total number of workers employed at USPS country wide is 596,000 (en.wikipedia.org...) ....makes perfect sense,no?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

The congressional hearing has nothing to do with the radiation from Japan's reactors. As the post clearly indicates, it's talking about making sure there's enough for people who live around our own reactors in the event of an emergency here. It makes absolutely no sense for people here to panic buy these pills because of the situation in Japan. In WWII we blasted ALOT more radiation directly into the atmosphere over Japan than this reactor can dream of producing, as you know, and it did not travel to the U.S. This is pure insanity. If you live within the danger zone of a nuclear reactor near your home., and youre concerned with an accident, you should already have some of these pills. But the current situation in Japan should have nothing to do with that.

For the people talking about eating sea weed, relax. Just sprinkle some extra salt on your food. Salt (except sea salt) is iodized, because there was once a problem with goiter due to iodine deficiencies (alot of multivitamins have iodine too)...
edit on 15-3-2011 by 27jd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Thank you! Holy crap, I can't believe people here in the U.S. think everything revolves around us to the point that the radiation in Japan is going to deny physics just to get here. I wouldn't mind being one of the distributors of these pills though, they're laughing all the way to the bank...

What alerted me as to how this tragedy was being misused to foment fear here was a post I read that claimed the entire northern section of Japan was uninhabitable, and would be for generations, and that some sort of apparently magical atmospherics was going to blow a radioactive cloud FULL STRENGTH east to the US and Canada, West to China, and north the Russia - evidently all at the same time.

How do prevailing winds blow in 3 different directions all at once? I dunno, unless it's "magic atmospherics".

Then you have to figure in radioactive decay, and ALL the various parameters that entails, wind speed, distance traveled, etc, then explain how the radioactive cloud is going to wait until it's here to dump it's payload, as opposed to the normal dropping it all along the way and thus weakening itself as it goes... not to mention that if it magically goes in three directions at once, that either breaks it up or spreads it out, meaning that the radioactivity is further diluted... there are just endless flaws in this scenario.

And Potassium Iodide pills? Really? If folks are that scared of it frying their thyroids, what do they plan to do for the REST of their body? There's a good movie to be made in here about an entire nation of withered, pustulated radiation-sickness wasted zombies - but all with at least healthy thyroids!

Seriously, KI is just used to block the uptake of certain isotopes which lodge in the thyroid - the KI blocks them from lodging, as it already takes up those spaces, so they can't find a home there to cause thyroid cancer years down the road. If it were as bad as the doom and gloomers were claiming, there'd be no need at all to worry about what's on down the road, as that road wouldn't be long enough to worry about developing thyroid cancer.

Yeah, there's a killing to be made in KI sales right now, because of this viral marketing that unfounded panic is spreading. Personally, I hope the government DOES send my share of the Potassium Iodide to Japan, where it may find some actual use. They may need it a LOT worse than I ever will!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
WARNING: Do NOT take these pills without talking to your doctor first. Side effects in some people could be deadly.

SMR

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
Ask your selves, why would the U.S. Postal Service need 1.6 million tablets of iOSAT ???

Do we know when these were purchased and in what quantities ?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

LadySkadi,

I dont know, that does not seem like a good fit does it?

I am really more curious than anything...it seems that if there was a re-supply issue, that would
be the proper avenue, and the U.S. Postal Service is not that loop supplier.

I can understand U.S. Dept of Homeland Security and many other hospitals,
nuclear plants, pharmacies and foreign governments...

But I am still lost on the U.S. Postal Service.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I don't know. It would be interesting to know what other items are stockpiled at the USPS before making assumptions about whether this is SOP or not. Perhaps it is one of many precautions for this particular situation? Again, it was just a wild guess.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genemaster
Well, their job is based OUTSIDE...while most of us work INSIDE....someone at the USPS is with me on "better safe than sorry" wagon...Now, let's see how many USPS postmen and women are there on the Western US? Times 14 (1pack)...plus all truck drivers and other mail handlers...say 120,000??? Keep in mind, total number of workers employed at USPS country wide is 596,000 (en.wikipedia.org...) ....makes perfect sense,no?

Well, your point is well taken, however, as it goes right now, supposedly the U.S. is out of harms way
when it comes to unstable Iodide by Nuclear Fallout?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Yeah, the real experts, who aren't putting on a show for the MSM fear/ratings extravaganza say there is NO way the radiation can make it to the U.S. This is bad for Japan, no doubt. The best case scenario would be for the winds to blow any radiation east away from Japan and Asia. They also say this is not going to be like Chernobyl, since these reactors aren't going to have a graphite fire to spread the radiation...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

The congressional hearing has nothing to do with the radiation from Japan's reactors. As the post clearly indicates, it's talking about making sure there's enough for people who live around our own reactors in the event of an emergency here. It makes absolutely no sense for people here to panic buy these pills because of the situation in Japan.

I agree, really I do. Look at my posts, I cant even take this stuff.

I think my point is that perhaps this is not the people buying all of this Potassium Iodide...
Its the Government.

But yet the Wall Street Journal paints it as "Americans".

Well I suppose that the DHS, The U.S.P.S. The NRC, Nuclear Regulatory Commission,
Defense Intelligence Agency
Center for Disease Control
U.S. Navy and U.S. Army
hospitals, nuclear plants, &
pharmacies are the U.S. but they are not the general public, and I think
that the Wall Street Journal made it seem like it was the general public, when its not.

So, why would they do that, I mean lets think this through they are going to know
exactly who bought that supply as that is their field of expertise....

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Originally posted by Genemaster

Well, your point is well taken, however, as it goes right now, supposedly the U.S. is out of harms way
when it comes to unstable Iodide by Nuclear Fallout?

SUPPOSEDLY being the keyword :-[

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I agree, and really I do. And thanks for your comments...

And its my personal opinion, yet I think that most likely The Wall Street Journal
published this as a means of manipulation on the General Public.

Maybe they want us to panic?

Its hard to ride out a thread like this, but I think that its only by all of us collaberating
together (which is what some dont want) that we can come to the truth.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

edit on 15-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

SMR

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I would assume that the USPS has a stock pile of these in case of emergency to deliver to homes ?
Maybe along with that junk mail and phone bill, you get a pack or Iodide pills ?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SMR
I would assume that the USPS has a stock pile of these in case of emergency to deliver to homes ?
Maybe along with that junk mail and phone bill, you get a pack or Iodide pills ?

If only...that would be the day. I would love to think this is true, if we ever needed it.

But the United States Postal Service is not really a "Governmental Agency" per se.

They are privatized, and run on a stictly for profit basis.
usgovinfo.about.com...

Maybe they are going to resale the packets at a big profit?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Who is to say this does not or will not tie in with the new madrid fault earth quake or yellowstone or a few others mentioned on here I mean c,mon who said japan will be hit like this?? Now, we have all these govt. entities grabbing all the iodide as well as fema preparing as well as the recent orders placed for meals water, etc. etc. These are not just random ramblings and I feel hard for japan but there is amuch bigger agenda and plan I believe.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Yea we Americans can be very silly sometimes, I mean hey look we voted Barack Obama in as the president muhahahaha.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join