It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potassium Iodide Runs Low as Americans Seek It Out

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

WORLD NEWS MARCH 15, 2011 Potassium Iodide Runs Low as Americans Seek It Out

online.wsj.com

Supplies of potassium iodide, a preventive against radiation poisoning of the thyroid gland, are running low at some manufacturers, as Americans seek protection amid fears that radiation from Japan could head to the U.S., according to the companies.

One leading supplier, Anbex Inc., quickly sold out of its supply of more than 10,000 14-tablet packages on Saturday, said Alan Morris, president of the Williamsburg, Va., company.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Widespread Radiation Contamination Concerns - Cover Up In Japan's Nuclear Disaster
edit on 14-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I am genuinely suprised to see this news.

What more can be said at this point.

I hope that the Governments have a good supply, and hand it out where needed.

And if you have it, and your neighbor does not....

Share.

Prayers to all those affected, especially in Japan.

So there is widespread concern, especially on the West Coast of the U.S.

He said the closely held firm was getting about three orders a minute for $10 packages of its Iosat pills, up from as few as three a week normally.

If you are concerned, here is a good guide online for free.
www.ki4u.com...

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Too bad we didn't have a heads up and could have invested in this product's manufacturers/sellers prior to now.

Seriously, I hope people don't go crazy with this stuff, and poison themselves for no good reason.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Ive been meaning to get it for my BoB atleast... but where does 1 go to get it in person? Can I just go to my local slave mart and find it? Or more specialized store?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

Not anymore. Snooze, you lose. Maybe Ebay.
Don't wait for the Gov. to hand it out, they don't have enough.
Good news is, long way from there to here, big ocean between.
edit on 14-3-2011 by BnletB because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I have some in my survival pack, and I think I got it either on Amazon or drugstore.com, but not recently.
I was surprised at the time it was so easy to find, and the only reason I bought it was because of something I read here on ATS.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Hi burn...
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. My opinion is that the US gov most likely will not give this out to us. I think it's one of those things you need to be proactive about and seek it out for yourself. To be honest, there are few if any of my friends or family that would even know what it is let alone used for. I have some from circa the '60's and don't even know if they're good anymore. I think this is great info which is a good reminder for me and I will see what I can find.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Sea Kelp is high In Iodine plenty around for everyone and from your local health food store. No need to panic buy. I'll bet that news release was put out by the Pharmaceuticals to increase profits.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

How much Kelp would one have to eat to equal 1 (130 mg) Potassium Iodide pill?
Would be nice to add to the post, since you're doing the recommending.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Too bad we didn't have a heads up and could have invested in this product's manufacturers/sellers prior to now.

Seriously, I hope people don't go crazy with this stuff, and poison themselves for no good reason.

Yes, that is such an important statement. Really it is.

Please, everyone if you are going to self administer Potassium Iodide,
carefully read the directions, and follow them to a T.

Children and infants are more vulnerable to developing thyroid cancer from radioactive iodine than adults, so it’s important that they get the pills in a radiation emergency. But the pills can be hard to swallow, especially for infants, and potassium iodide dissolved in water has a harsh, salty taste. The FDA tip: grind the pills up and mix them into low-fat chocolate milk, orange juice, or flat soda.

Large doses of iodine over a long period of time can be dangerous, so potassium iodide pills should be reserved for true emergencies. (So far, no one is recommending that anyone in the United States take them, although people are apparently stocking up.)

Many varieties of table salt are “iodized,’ which means iodine has been added. But iodized table salt doesn’t contain enough of the mineral to saturate the thyroid gland and keep it from absorbing radioactive iodine.

www.health.harvard.edu...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Also, eating oranges and apples is a good idea. They have high pectin.

" Pectin is a structural polysaccharide found in the cell walls of plants and fruits. According to "Fighting Radiation and Chemical Pollutants with Foods, Herbs and Vitamins," pectin has the ability to bind radioactive residues and remove them from the body. Pectin acts as a natural chelating agent, which is a compound that has an affinity for other molecules. Chelating agents bind to other compounds, dragging them out of tissues or the bloodstream, so they can be removed from the body in urine or feces. Apples, especially the skin, are high in pectin, as are guavas, plums, gooseberries, oranges and other citrus fruits. Organic fruits with less pesticide or fertilizer contamination are the best choice, although pectin powder can be taken as a supplement. "

Read more: www.livestrong.com...

edit on 14-3-2011 by Topato because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

I am not aware of anyplace that has stock left.
If I find one, I will post it asap.

I am allergic to it, so I cant take it anyways. I guess I will start on the kelp.
Also, I have read that you can rub iodine tincture on your skin, a patch of it.
This will afford a very small amount of protection.

Some info here

www.survivalblog.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I ordered probably the last of the iOSAT from Amazon.com on Friday, and it arrived by mail today!

Of course, I'm waiting for the official word to begin the dosage of 1/day. So far I don't see any reason to begin, but it's nice to have in case TSHTF.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Yeah I called around today and every store the carries it was out of it. I have some somewhere but could not find them as they have been stored to long and through a move.

You can use regular Iodine topically on the skin for the same effect if you can't find PI tabs

In an emergency, if no more KI tablets available here, you can topically (on the skin) apply an iodine solution, like tincture of iodine or Betadine, for a similar protective effect. (WARNING: Iodine is NEVER to be ingested or swallowed, it is poison to drink.) For adults, paint 8 ml of a 2 percent tincture of Iodine on the abdomen or forearm each day, ideally at least 2 hours prior to initial exposure. For children 3 to 18, but under 150 pounds, only half that amount painted on daily, or 4 ml. For children under 3 but older than a month, half again, or 2 ml. For newborns to 1 month old, half it again, or just 1 ml. (One measuring teaspoon is about 5 ml, if you don't have a medicine dropper graduated in ml.) If your iodine solution is stronger than 2%, reduce the dosage accordingly. Absorption through the skin is not as exact a dosing method as using the tablets, but tests show that it will still be very effective for most. More about the above at Plan B, along with formulas there for mixing up potassium iodide (KI) solutions if you acquire KI powder or crystals. Do not use if allergic to iodine. There are also a few other medical conditions and medications, discussed there, that are contraindicated that your physician can best advise you about. Inquire of your doctor NOW if there is any reason why anybody in your household should not use KI, or iodine solutions topically on their skin, in a future nuclear emergency, just to be sure.
www.ki4u.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I couldn't find any tablets, but I found the tinctures, in the drug store, and wonder how often you paint a patch of this on your skin, should it become necessary. I don't know what to think of it either, as its thyroid blocking. My body produces 0% thyroid and I'm extremely hypothyroid, diganosed as chronic fatigue as I only respond half ways to the natural source, yet had heart problems on it, and have to take smaller dose. So I don't know what to think of a thyroid suppresser.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
These guys have the liquid form

www.nukepills.com...

Seems they donated most of their stock of 50,000 tablets to JAPAN

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
THIS is where all the other pills went to

Purchasers of iOSAT™ include:
Nuclear Regulatory Commission (11 million tablets)
U.S. Postal Service (1.6 million tablets)
Defense Intelligence Agency (50,000 tablets)
Center for Disease Control ( 2 million+ tablets)
U.S. Navy and U.S. Army
U.S. Dept of Homeland Security

and many other hospitals, nuclear plants, pharmacies and foreign governments.
Purchasers of ThyroShield™ include:

Kuwait Ministry of Health (5.4 Million doses)
U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services(144 million doses)
Dept of Defense and U.S. Dept of Homeland Security

www.nukepills.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Plan B :

www.ki4u.com...

updated as of 3/13/11

Highschool science labs .
edit on 14-3-2011 by ReRun because: eta

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Good on them for donating to those most in need. No one who isn't directly in the path should be hoarding these pills, IMO.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I have a bottle of potassium iodide pills..bad thing is..Im over 40 and us old people are at risk for using it!

Note that adults over 40 need take potassium iodide only in the case of a projected large internal radiation dose to the thyroid (>500 cGy) to prevent hypothyroidism.

www.pacifichealth.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join