It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potassium Iodide Runs Low as Americans Seek It Out

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Oh, by the way. I have 2 extra supplies I am willing to sell for.....One Millllllion Dollars

now there's a true Capitalist if ever I saw one
lmao
thanks for the humor
this thread needs it badly

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Looks like Ebay still has them available although the price has gone from about $15 last week to
$100 + now...unbelieveable....

shop.ebay.com...
edit on 3/15/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
ote]Originally posted by burntheships

"Potassium Iodide Runs Low as Americans Seek It Out"

Somehow I don't think that's going to prove altogether too effective against the harsh effects of radiation.

You know, when I heard the cloud was headed for the West Coast of the states, all I could think about was the typical degenerate getting their well deserved dose!

Sorry, I know I'm cruel.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by MindSpin
reply to post by boondock-saint

You have not proved me wrong. You gave an example from Alex Jones

You don't need a perscription. I wouldn't be surprised if they soon make it a requirement, because of people drying up supplies because they panic.

and you have given absolutely NO examples whatsoever
other than your opinion. Didn't I ask you to run
along ??? lol

supplies are drying up because they
were either ill-prepared for this type
emergency (incompetent)

or either

they do not want the entire population
to survive.

take your pick
I choose the latter

Do you honestly think there is going to be large scale death in the United States from this???

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by boondock-saint

This is part of my whole point, Boon.

KI isn't going to help anyone outside of a small and immediate radius and only then, only if they are in the process of evacuation to a further distance and only with regards to *potential, future thyroid cancer. Nothing more.

and my whole point is, maybe some people
are not stocking up cuz of a cloud coming
across the Pacific but rather they saw what
happened in Japan and are preparing for their
own domestic accident. In that case, the pills
would serve exactly their purpose, would they not?
It took FEMA 3 days to get water to New Orleans
after Katrina.
If a domestic accident happens here under
similar circumstances, do you honestly think
FEMA will get you these pills in time to
do any good ?? Absolutely not !!!
But we are not being given a choice to
buy a part of our Bug Out Bag medical kit.
And that shows an agenda.

edit on 3/15/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Well it's nice to see people aren't sheeped to the max and they still have some slight common sense or the desire to live [No I'm not claiming people will die, I'm talking about the desire for survival].
But then again one could easily argue with me saying "It took a potential disaster to wake some of them up instead of them being prepared ahead of time".

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by condition9

I've explained Ad nauseam...

The Gov. supplies are for immediate nuclear/radiation emergency/exposure (i.e: US nuclear plant breach and you live in a 10-20 mile radius) then take the pills and immediately evacuate. Is that the case here? No. If you are worried about what *may be coming, move to some place you deem safer. This is not an *immediate scenario, you have time to plan. You have foreknowledge. Do what you will, with it.

This poster (LadySkadi) has the correct thought process. Folks these are not "Magic pills". Avoidence of the radiation is the best way to minimize your exposure.

Now for those that think that these pills will help. REMEMBER THIS. They assist in blocking radioactive Iodide in your thyroid. They do NOT help with radiation recieved via breathing (lung damage), eating or drinking (injestion). So you better be prepaired not to eat drink or breath for the time being.

Information is key with this kind of event. Unfortunatly from what I see we are NOT getting the information from the MSM to make proper judgment calls. I do not expect we will. And yes for what its worth I do have some experience in this field.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I am sure my reply will get lost in the doom gloom and fearmongering, but here is a link for anyone who wants to buy some pills:

www.amazon.com...

Did you LOOK at that link? Did you actually try clicking on the product to check availability?

They have ONE 14 tab package at $499.00

fear mongering and profiteering

edit on 15-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)
The mone I ordered was only 13 bucks. There was more than one page of results, there were over a thousand if not 16 thousand returns on the search.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Do you honestly think there is going to be large scale
death in the United States from this???

there won't be if everybody
uses KI the way it was
intended and has access
to it when it becomes necessary

of course there will be some
morons out there who won't follow
directions and reflect badly upon
those who do. there's always bad
apples.
edit on 3/15/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

SMR

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I cant believe what some people are charging for pills.
They are $9.99 for a 14-pack from places like nukepills.com but you see those same pills being sold for over $100 and even $300 on eBay and even Amazon.
Nothing like supply and demand in a crisis and see just how much some are willing to gouge fellow people for the almighty dollar.
It reminds me of watching post apocalyptic movies where a bottle of water costs you half your supplies.

Those taking advantage right now should be ashamed of themselves. But they probably don't feel bad at all with all that green in hand

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SMR
I cant believe what some people are charging for pills.

"Never let a good crisis go to waste"

...did I say that?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

uses KI the way it was
intended and has access
to it

apples.

You made me chuckle. (thanks) Hell if these folks cant follow directions ,well then shame shame shame on them. These folks wont be a poor reflection on us. They will be a "GLOWING" reminder for the rest of us and an incentive to our children to read, write, learn and understand our environment.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

uses KI the way it was
intended and has access
to it

apples.

You do understand that KI only protects against one form of radiation...right???

Taking KI doesn't allow you to dance around with a nuclear fuel rod...it isn't a super pill.

You also do know that most likely...the US won't even see dangerous levels of radiation...right?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

uses KI the way it was
intended and has access
to it

apples.

You do understand that KI only protects against one form of radiation...right???

Taking KI doesn't allow you to dance around with a nuclear fuel rod...it isn't a super pill.

You also do know that most likely...the US won't even see dangerous levels of radiation...right?

Right on brother.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Good thing your thyroid will be safe.. hopefully if the radiation comes you won't get one of the hundreds of other types of cancers.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

yes, I am aware of all the above except
for your last point. We cannot determine
at this point just how much we will be
affected by radiation as the meltdowns
in Japan are not even over yet. That would be
like predicting the outcome of a ball game
before the kickoff. That is guess-work.
But being prepared with the drug in hand
is better than needing it and FEMA not being
able to get it to you in time.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Tin (aluminum) foil skull caps work just as well. All you have to do is to get a long piece of it and start by wrapping it around your neck and then up and around your head. If necessary you can make some eye holes so you see where you are going. See? No worries mates.

ps don't for the capacitive discharge filter which is supported at the waist with a field dispersal earth coupler properly aligned. Now try to top that one???

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

yes, I am aware of all the above except
for your last point. We cannot determine
at this point just how much we will be
affected by radiation as the meltdowns
in Japan are not even over yet. That would be
like predicting the outcome of a ball game
before the kickoff. That is guess-work.
But being prepared with the drug in hand
is better than needing it and FEMA not being
able to get it to you in time.

Darth. Heres the real deal. Think of (KI) not as a drug but sunglasses. KI will shield your thyroid from the radiation rays much like your sunglasses shield your eyes from the solar radiation (visible light)

Now here is the rub. Many types of radiation will attach itself to things like dust etc. etc. You then breathe this material in and it (attatched radiation)will go to work killing your lung tissue, slowly..... Ok radiation will also concentrate in things like water so when you take a nice cool drink of water well your again toast. KI will NOT help in these cases.

Before you can protect yourself you need to educate yourself about the threat. KI will work best with direct exposure (being in close prox to the radiation source) and does little with indirect exposure. (exposure to radiation via air bourn material from a distant radiation source) Can KI help yes but by no means will it prevent an exposure issue. Sorry guys I am trying to write this a third grade level

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Potassium iodide is really only intended to protect the thyroid.

For low to moderate exposure concerns, one would be better off stocking up on a supply of various antioxidants classified as nutritional supplements, e.g. alpha-lipoic acid, Glisodin, green tea extract, etc; substances which can provide whole body protection. Lipoic acid needs to be kept out of the sun and not stored at higher than room temperature. It is also fat soluble, and should be taken with food containing fat.

Take the time read what's below, as an example. NASA has also been using alpha-lipoic acid in research for radiation protection.

Radiat Res. 2010 Apr;173(4):462-8.
Antioxidant diet supplementation starting 24 hours after exposure reduces radiation lethality.

Brown SL, Kolozsvary A, Liu J, Jenrow KA, Ryu S, Kim JH.

Henry Ford Hospital, Department of Radiation Oncology, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA.

Antioxidants mitigate radiation-induced lethality when started soon after radiation exposure, a delivery time that may not be practical due to difficulties in distribution and because the oral administration of such agents may require a delay beyond the prodromal stage of the radiation syndrome. We report the unexpected finding that antioxidant supplementation starting 24 h after total-body irradiation resulted in better survival than antioxidant supplementation started soon after the irradiation. The antioxidant dietary supplement was l-selenomethionine, sodium ascorbate, N-acetyl cysteine, alpha-lipoic acid, alpha-tocopherol succinate, and co-enzyme Q10. Total-body irradiation with 8 Gy in the absence of antioxidant supplementation was lethal by day 16. When antioxidant supplementation was started soon after irradiation, four of 14 mice survived. In contrast, 14 of 18 mice receiving antioxidant supplementation starting 24 h after irradiation were alive and well 30 days later. The numbers of spleen colonies and blood cells were higher in mice receiving antioxidant supplementation starting 24 h after irradiation than in mice receiving radiation alone. A diet supplemented with antioxidants administered starting 24 h after total-body irradiation improved bone marrow cell survival and mitigated lethality, with a radiation protection factor of approximately 1.18.

Another example, with regard to green tea extract:

Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2010 May;35(10):1328-31.
[Protective activity of different concentration of tea polyphenols and its major compound EGCG against whole body irradiation-induced injury in mice].

[Article in Chinese]

Guo S, Hu Y, Liu P, Wang Y, Guo D, Wang D, Liao H.

Department of Clinical Pharmacology, PLA General Hospital, Beijing 100853, China.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the different concentrate of tea polyphenols (TP) and its compound for irradiation-protection and investigate its mechanism.

METHOD: To evaluate the radioprotective activity, mice were exposed to whole body gamma irradiation. TP 80 and TP 50 (50, 10 mg x kg(-1)) and its major constituent epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) (50, 10 mg x kg(-1)) were administered after irradiation to examine its inhibition against irradiation-induced injury.

RESULT: This study indicate that in comparison with non-irradiated controls, irradiation resulted in a significant reduction the spleen index (spleen weight/body weight 100), haematological parameters (RBC, WBC and PLT), activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD), and increase of malondialdehde (MDA) level in 28 days. Oral administration of TP (50 mg x kg(-1)) shown the best effect on reducing the irradiation-induced injury on mice studied, and showed a protective effect against irradiation-induced haematological parameters (RBC, WBC and PLT), the spleen index and MDA level significant reduction, and antioxidase activity (SOD) decrease.

CONCLUSION: The results suggest that TP 50 mg x kg(-1) and EGCG have in vivo antioxidant potential and radioprotective activity against whole body gamma irradiation in mice. It may be concluded that TP (50% EGCG) possess good irradiation-protective and antioxidant effect.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Hi all, been at work all day.

Wow, looks like a lively conversation since I left.

Well what to say...

I think that the Wall Street Journal was frear mongering, as they are the ones who posted this

"news" last night. I found it really curious.

What I find even more curious, is the mass quantities that were purchased by the U.S. Post Office,

and other large agencies.

And even more curious, is that the spikes in sales started around a week before the Japan Quake.

I have to do some digging, and really check this out now. Along with the strangeness that some encountered

in contact with Medical Professionals inquiring - Sheesh you know better than to ask questions - questions are

not allowed-

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join