It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potassium Iodide Runs Low as Americans Seek It Out

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Let me ask some simple questions here for a select few that cannot or do not want to accept the strong possibilities here. Why do you think americans or u.s. wants iodide tablets? why do you think they are in a panic? what is the worry if our precious ptb are telling us the truth? why are we worried since we obviously"it won't happen here attitude" why did these agencies jump at this chance to get a sh##load of iodide?? And we all know Hillary and the gang will look out for us as well asJapan is telling the complete truth also correct? I forgot we have been told the truth go back to sleep no need to worry everything is fine now back to american idol and charlie sheen!!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by condition9
reply to post by nenothtu

With the state of affairs in this world currently if opportunity to prepare is available and should be to everyone that is my position and the govt. hoarding , which by the way yes, they are! then I am to believe that when tshtf here in u.s. we will be in good shape right?? wrong!

You misunderstood me. By "(which they are NOT)", I meant that KI pills are not magic radiation pills, not that the government isn't hoarding them. personally, I could care less if they cornered the market, but I think that better use would be made by shipping the whole hoard to Japan, where they might be useful, as opposed to keeping them here, where thy certainly will not be.

Are you expecting some sort of nuclear attack on the US? IF the answer is "no", then the shape we're in will not be affected either way by possession of KI. If the answer is "yes", I'd like to hear the details of what you know that would lead you to expect such an attack.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr_skepticc

that was funnylol but, hey what's more funny hell they will again!!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by LadySkadi

LadySkadi,

I dont know, that does not seem like a good fit does it?

I am really more curious than anything...it seems that if there was a re-supply issue, that would
be the proper avenue, and the U.S. Postal Service is not that loop supplier.

I can understand U.S. Dept of Homeland Security and many other hospitals,
nuclear plants, pharmacies and foreign governments...

But I am still lost on the U.S. Postal Service.

Probably just in the Union contract because of such fears as are being spread at the moment.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I have a very disturbing thoughts regarding this whole japan thing and new madrid as well as all the recent events .I may be wrong but rockefeller has left for india and odamna is going to rio as all this is going on?? I also would like to ask where the hell is all of" japans iodide and russias?? I appreciate the reply however, i am nearly convinced this is setting the stage for another major deal here in u.s."" waaaay too many things directing the movement in that aspect.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

They are all on board...hey panic must be good business eh?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Surgeon General says it a "worthy precaution"

Our tax dollars hard at work.

www.nbcbayarea.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Here's a news video about the high demand and inability of consumers to find potassium iodide in Austin:

edit on 3/15/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The jet stream goes from Japan to Alaska to California to Mexico and up the East Coast.

I live in Florida.

You guys think I should get some of those pills?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I would like to comment also I don,t think it is the idea of me getting iodide but, look at this what I have went through in just 2-3 days asking questions trying to get prepared as this was a very unusual turn of events and all of a sudden I mean places did not want to answer me on specific things and one pharmacy a walgreens pharmacist hung up on me saying I gotta go now"" as his final statement things don't smell right here if you follow me and this is just trying to get the normal flow of prewparation and plan in motion so if it is already this dark and muddy "what do you think will happen if we get an epic one also?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genemaster
Well, their job is based OUTSIDE...while most of us work INSIDE....someone at the USPS is with me on "better safe than sorry" wagon...Now, let's see how many USPS postmen and women are there on the Western US? Times 14 (1pack)...plus all truck drivers and other mail handlers...say 120,000??? Keep in mind, total number of workers employed at USPS country wide is 596,000 (en.wikipedia.org...) ....makes perfect sense,no?

Well, your point is well taken, however, as it goes right now, supposedly the U.S. is out of harms way
when it comes to unstable Iodide by Nuclear Fallout?

Most folks are getting nuclear weapons and nuclear power stations confused, I guess because of the word "nuclear" in both. "Fallout" is fine radioactive ash produces in some, but not all, nuclear weapons explosions. It's produced when the weapon is detonated at ground level, or, more properly, when the fireball produced actually touches ground. What happens is that the fireball vaporizes dirt, buildings, bicycles, ferrets, trees, etc, and it re-condenses into solid particulates as the fireball cools, and is then radioactive from re-condensing inside the mushroom cloud. It is then carried aloft in the convection currents, and if carried high enough, is then blown along by the prevailing winds. If not carried high enough, it just falls to ground near ground zero.

The first thing to take from this is that if there is no vaporization of solids, there is no fallout, because there's nothing to re-condense into ash. The second thing to take from it is that if the fireball doesn't contact the Earth's surface, there is again no fallout (the fallout is formed from the things that used to be where the crater is after a detonation). The next thing to understand is that for it to be carried vast distances, there must be VERY strong convection to carry it to a fairly great height, otherwise, it's all local to ground zero, within a few miles at most.

It's a pretty dangerous proposition for the areas around these power plants, but not the rest of the world. As I understand it, the case here is that the steam from the water in the plants is what is creating the risk. The farthest Up I've heard of any particulates getting in these cases is about 800 meters. It's not even in the range of a single nuclear detonation.

Another thing to realize is that radioactive isotopes decay over time, meaning they get less dangerous the more time passes, including travel-time while suspended in air. The most dangerous high-dose particles are high dose because they decay faster, releasing more ionizing radiation. That means they drop out of the dangerous zone faster, too. Also, as they move along carried by the breeze, they "fall out" (hence the term) all along the way, meaning there is less and less the further downwind they go.

As I recall, and I may be in error here, since it's been a while, the isotope that collects in the thyroid is Strontium-90, and that is what the Potassium Iodide blocks the receptors for.

I recall back in the 80's, during the last nuclear scare hysteria where they were trying to scare us witless with lots of talk that really didn't mean what it sounded like, the USPS was collecting KI tablets then, too. I can recall a joke I heard back then about the USPS - "neither rain, nor snow, or driving hail Shall stop the rounds of the US mail - adding nuclear war to that just messes up the rhyme".

That scary time was also when I dug into the facts of the matter, and found that all the hysteria being spread had an agenda behind it, which agenda replaced the facts of the matter. I believe it's the same this time, with the same agenda, and even in some cases the same key players spreading the fear. They will tell you what they think will scare you into line with that agenda, but when you dig out the facts yourself, their case tends to fall apart.

They hate it when that happens.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
O.K. guys for those that have been telling everyone not to get concerned etc. etc. a new thread has just got started and tells it has hit calif. FROM JAPAN so, I guess I have been right on the money all along!!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Yeah, the real experts, who aren't putting on a show for the MSM fear/ratings extravaganza say there is NO way the radiation can make it to the U.S. This is bad for Japan, no doubt. The best case scenario would be for the winds to blow any radiation east away from Japan and Asia. They also say this is not going to be like Chernobyl, since these reactors aren't going to have a graphite fire to spread the radiation...

Exactly! In Chrnobyl, the graphite fire produced the particulates to be irradiated. These Japanese reactors use water for that task, which is pretty hard to set on fire. As bad as Chrnobyl was, I think it's an 8 mile quarantine radius around the reactor site. Now, that's pretty bad, and a worst-case, but it certainly isn't internationally dangerous.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
My neighbor works in the pharmacy at Walmart in Lafayette, LA. She told me this afternoon that customers are panicking trying to find Potassium Iodide pills. Their pharmacy has not been able to locate any pills and cannot foresee getting them in the near future. She said that it is alarming that customers are becoming almost frantic when they are being told this information. I really don't think that our area is in immediate danger like the west coast, but from their reactions you would think differently. Of course, our nerves are already on edge from our bad experiences we have gone through with the hurricanes and the BP oil spill. We know one thing for sure. Don't trust anything our government tells you.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
O.K. not sure yet--- seems they are trying to zero in on it but, strong posssibility!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

reply to post by LadySkadi

I agree, and really I do. And thanks for your comments...

And its my personal opinion, yet I think that most likely The Wall Street Journal
published this as a means of manipulation on the General Public.

Maybe they want us to panic?

Yes! Exactly!

Its hard to ride out a thread like this, but I think that its only by all of us collaberating
together (which is what some dont want) that we can come to the truth.

Yes! Just as I said above, they HATE it when you find out the facts of the matter! They just HATE when that happens!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I suggest from Healthfood stores. I dont trust the chemical pharmaceuticals that they have been trying to push since birdflu, this could be that opportunity they have been waiting for.

As far as the gov handing it out when or if needed, well picture lines around the block and panic struck late comers freaking out to get theirs.

Best to line your shelves with basic essentials now because it is going to affect everything from toiletpaper to lettuce and everything in between.

Much more to say but I just wanted you to know I am here. Was busy today and jumped on a few times yet I do appreciate these headsup threads as it is something which was so unexpected.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Now, I don't know exactly how much of this product was/is around before this event happened, but I find it very difficult to believe that the entire country decided to look into how to prevent effects of radiation and buy it all up in a few short days, especially considering that MSM for the most part was reporting that everything was under control and there was next to no risk here.

Either people are getting that MSM will not be truthful in advance, we have a ton of paranoid people out there, or some entity is putting a stranglehold on the product.

Like I stated, I don't know how much was out there, but it seems suspicious that we collectively can go from "there is no risk" to people buying it up ASAP.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Let me ask some simple questions here for a select few that cannot or do not want to accept the strong possibilities here. Why do you think americans or u.s. wants iodide tablets? why do you think they are in a panic? what is the worry if our precious ptb are telling us the truth? why are we worried since we obviously"it won't happen here attitude" why did these agencies jump at this chance to get a sh##load of iodide?? And we all know Hillary and the gang will look out for us as well asJapan is telling the complete truth also correct? I forgot we have been told the truth go back to sleep no need to worry everything is fine now back to american idol and charlie sheen!!

In a word, preparation.

Here are some questions for you:

How many people live within 30 miles or so of nuclear power plants?

How many of those are already prepared, with their own supply?

How will those unprepared get any if everyone else in the US who DOESN'T need it, is busy cornering the market and hoarding it all for themselves?

Now, factor in the possibility of a "dirty bomb" anywhere, not just at nuclear reactor sites. How would those affected in that possibility fare if they waited until after the fact, then tried to order it off of an internet that may or may not be functioning locally? How much easier would it make it for them if everyone else were panic - buying and hoarding what they didn't need, but what others in affected areas DID need?

Americans are in a panic, to answer that question for you, because they are being TOLD to be in a panic, and most just don't know how to separate out the facts from the fictions. If they did, they'd not be panicking.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I have a very disturbing thoughts regarding this whole japan thing and new madrid as well as all the recent events .I may be wrong but rockefeller has left for india and odamna is going to rio as all this is going on?? I also would like to ask where the hell is all of" japans iodide and russias?? I appreciate the reply however, i am nearly convinced this is setting the stage for another major deal here in u.s."" waaaay too many things directing the movement in that aspect.

Could be. They certainly appear to be trying hard to induce a panic for some reason. When people panic, they don't THINK, and they are more easily LED to the slaughter. I've not studied up on which reactors could be affected if the New Madrid fault were to give a heave. It's too far west of me to be a concern in that department. To be honest, hydroelectric dams, and the flooding they'd create are a more immediate concern to me, but from here they all would dump to the west, towards the Mississippi.

Actually, my most pressing concern here from a New Madrid quake would be refugees.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
The jet stream goes from Japan to Alaska to California to Mexico and up the East Coast.

I live in Florida.

You guys think I should get some of those pills?

I live on the eastern seaboard, and I'm not going to bother with them. I think you should do what your gut tells you to do in the matter. If it makes you feel safer, then go for it, but just don't go overboard with the purchases, unless you plan on making a killing in re-selling them. Other folks are going to want them, too, and if it makes them feel safer and less panicky, then they ought to get theirs, too.

The key is not to let panic take you over, so go for whatever makes you feel safer.

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join