It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potassium Iodide Runs Low as Americans Seek It Out

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
reply to post by anumohi

One reason it's a controlled substance is because it's one of the main ingredients used to make meth.

well how much goddamn meth can you make with 300 milligrams of (KI)? i only needed 2 friggen pills.....grrrrrr

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Comes from being infantry back when the Russian bear was the enemy.
The iodine tincture just gets painted onto the skin and not ingested.
Plus,
Iodine works on cuts and scrapes as a disinfectant too!
Who'da guessed

edit on 16-3-2011 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
There are cheap ones on ebay too. Just put the words in rite.

Here are some food alternatives that contain iodine. Especially those of us older fogies who iodine is not good for.

Food Sources of Iodine:

Asparagus

Dulse

Garlic

Kelp

Lima beans

Mushrooms

Seafood

Sea salt and fortified salt

Seaweed

Sesame seeds

Soybeans

Spinach

Summer squash

Swiss chard

Turnip greens

I use sea salt already, mushrooms in the fridge, asparagus in the cabinet.
Watch out for kelp tablets. They contain 10 other plants in them and offer a better chance of an allergic reaction,.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by anumohi

all our power comes directly from the 2 coal burning plants and the hydro plants within 30 miles or less...we no have no nuky plants round here

As pure speculation, how much of this panic could be a "never let a perfectly good crisis go to waste" sort of situation to try to close down nuke power here, thus throwing more people into the coal fired plant basket, and giving a wider consumer base there for the proposed carbon tax?

Folks are gonna get their electricity somewhere, and if there are no nuclear plants, the other generator methods will have to take up that slack, which I believe is around 20% of US power generation (nuclear)!

Hey, it IS a conspiracy site!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

now i think i have a water purification kit that i bought from wally world, i'll have to go read the ingredients. I ended up buying kelp from GNC just to pre-dose ahead until i could get my hands on 300 mili of the (KI) when its time.

thanks for the info

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by BnletB

i'm guessing if you get it suppliment form its probably concentrated....wouldn't know the dosage though

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

i eat a lot of spinach (i'm literally quite addicted to it and ate three bags the other day) just wondering how MUCH of it you would have to eat though or is it more like a constant sort of regular eating of it that will be helpful?

link   
reply to post by Shirak

WOAH Shirak I cannot believe I came across you on here you are a huge inspiration to me! I searched for sea kelp and iodide because I was curious how well these worked instead of the regular thing and I found your post, crazy.

So how how much should I take and would it become toxic?

link   
reply to post by onyx718

you'd have to eat 600 pills to get 1 concentrated dose of the (KI) thats the difference

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I live about 50 miles from the Palo Verde nuclear plant, but we don't get alot of earthquakes or tsunamis here in AZ, so I'm not worried about it personally. The sun is the most powerful nuclear reaction we have to deal with here. I think the word radiation causes such an emotive fear in people, as people in this country are glued to their computer screens soaking up every update, they are taking in far more radiation than the plant in Japan could ever send their way...

"Radiation" comes in all forms, including light, heat, radio, microwave, and of course "nukulur". Nuclear radiation is dangerous because it is IONIZING radiation - it damages cells by ionizing elements within them. There are 3 types: Alpha, Beta, and Gamma. Of those 3, only the gamma is any real concern, since the other two can't even penetrate skin. If you don't eat them, they can't get you.

Gamma has other properties, just like light. Distance alone will weaken it, because it obeys the inverse-square law. Shielding from the source blocks it even better. Dilution by being spread over an area weakens the concentration strength of it. If it's in the Jet Stream as irradiated water vapor, I'm not even SORT of scared of it since a) it's being spread out as it blows along, b) it's so faraway overhead that it can't reach me in any sort of dangerous quantity, and c) as time goes by and it gets carried around the world, it's getting weaker over that same time due to the radioactive decay involved.

Now, a nuclear detonation relatively nearby (and in an upwind direction), a "dirty bomb" under the same conditions, but necessarily closer to me, or a nearby nuclear plant going full crazy might concern me more, but this scenario just doesn't.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by cabuki
tablets on sale via ebay for $2000 a pack now...what the hell is going on man...

Panic buying is going on, and a certain class of vulture is trying to capitalize on that.

link   
reply to post by 27jd

That is funny I live aprox. 20 miles from that plant so I am awre but, there is no clear picture of how this is going to play out yet I am going to prepare more tomorrow and in the weeks to come. I like the idea prepare before the disaster not afterwards.

link   
reply to post by anumohi

well that hardly seems realistically accomplishable

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Comes from being infantry back when the Russian bear was the enemy.
The iodine tincture just gets painted onto the skin and not ingested.
Plus,
Iodine works on cuts and scrapes as a disinfectant too!
Who'da guessed

Yeah, I gathered that. I still have some of the old "Charts and Nomographs" booklets (mostly for tactical nukes) they used to use to calculate your radiation dosage when thy ordered you to charge into the craters to make sure all the bad guys were vaporized.

The iodine tincture can be ingested, but not like you see on TV by turning up the bottle and swigging. It's so many drops per gallon of water, but I can't recall just how many. I think it's 2 or 3 for purification, and 4 or 5 of chlorine bleach for purification. The bleach only kills bugs in the water, won't help prevent thyroid cancer, and I'm not sure of the dosage to block out the thyroid for the iodine.

I've still got some of the water purification tablets in pockets on my canteen covers, but I bet they're WAY out of date by now!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Yeah, ionizing radiation can be harmful, but also be used to heal as I'm sure you know. I underwent 3 days of Cyberknife radiosurgery on a benign cranial nerve tumor many years ago, saved me from having to have invasive brain surgery. I was locked in a thick lead room with a crazy robot, flashing red lights, and radiation symbols plastered all over the walls. The techs would only speak to me through a microphone, lol. Pretty freaky for anybody who's scared of radiation, but it didn't bother me. You don't feel anything, during the procedure. About an hour afterward it felt like I was hit in the head with a hammer, but that subsided. About a month later I lost patches of hair, looked like a leopard for about 3 months, but it all grew back. Felt fine ever since. Radiation is a powerful force, good and bad, like many other things.

For everybody who is panicking, antioxidants work well against the effects of radiation as well. High doses of vitamin C are alot safer than taking KI if youre just taking it pre-emptively.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by cabuki
tablets on sale via ebay for $2000 a pack now...what the hell is going on man...

Some people are panicking, others are profiting. The demand for pills has increased dramatically, the supply has not...in a capitalist system...that means price goes up.

Why not profit on irrational fears?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by onyx718

Be careful. Too much spinach can cause kldney problems. It contains a lot of K which can clot your blood in high doses.

It contains 200 percent of the daily diet by RDA standards for iron. How it compares to the tablets I do not know.
If I had a bottle they usually tell you the percent on them, but my bottle has been postponed. ( same seller though is selling them for a fortune on ebay, but out of stock on amazon . Makes me so mad. Every day my shipment date gets further out, and amazon wont let me cancel. Out of principle I wish I could.

If I did not rely on my ebay account, I would false bid those people selling them sky high in a crisis. That is some dirty money there.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by anumohi

now i think i have a water purification kit that i bought from wally world, i'll have to go read the ingredients. I ended up buying kelp from GNC just to pre-dose ahead until i could get my hands on 300 mili of the (KI) when its time.

thanks for the info

They sell the tablets there in little bottles that will fit the pocket of a canteen cover to purify water by the quart, one tab per quart. I'm not sure what's in the kits, but if it says iodine, go for it. The water tablets are probably around 4 bucks a bottle by now.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Canteen covers.
We are a couple of old dogs.
I remember starting out in jeeps, hueys and carrying NBC detection cards, antrophine, iodine tablets, MOPP gear. Attire was not at all fashionable and a nuclear war was the worry of the day.

Nice to know everybody has it all together now. Peace, progress, enlightenment, technology and us old grunts are obsolete.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Yeah, ionizing radiation can be harmful, but also be used to heal as I'm sure you know. I underwent 3 days of Cyberknife radiosurgery on a benign cranial nerve tumor many years ago, saved me from having to have invasive brain surgery. I was locked in a thick lead room with a crazy robot, flashing red lights, and radiation symbols plastered all over the walls. The techs would only speak to me through a microphone, lol. Pretty freaky for anybody who's scared of radiation, but it didn't bother me. You don't feel anything, during the procedure. About an hour afterward it felt like I was hit in the head with a hammer, but that subsided. About a month later I lost patches of hair, looked like a leopard for about 3 months, but it all grew back. Felt fine ever since. Radiation is a powerful force, good and bad, like many other things.

It works exactly the same way - it ionizes the cells and kills them, the difference being that it's directed at the cancer cells rather than as a generalized whole-body dose. Odd how something that can kill you dead can also be used to save your life if used properly, and does it in exactly the same way it would if it were to kill you if used improperly, isn't it?

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join