It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reactor #2 At Fukushima Detonates (third reactor explosion...now fourth!)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher
"neutron radiation has been detected at reactor 3".....

Source please.

The minister just said it during the press conference.

I haven't seen an on-line source yet.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost

"neutron radiation has been detected at reactor 3".....

Source please.

It was part of the PM's address. I was listening too, when he said it. He admitted that it was "worrisome".

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

What about the hundreds of thousands of homeless survivors?

Staying indoors is all fine and good, but what if your home is gone, and all of the remaining buildings are severely damaged?

By the way, whatever official statements are made, you can multiply the actual severity by a factor of ten to get more accuracy.

This is beginning to look like an absolute worst case scenario now, the Japanese pleaded for help from the USA in cooling these reactors today, and apparently that help came and went...

The true heroes in this will likely die continuing doomed to fail efforts to cool a runaway nuclear reaction.

The next 48 hours will be critical on many levels.

edit on 14-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

reply to post by MedievalGhost

The interior minister said it live on HNK.

Got it. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
A nuke goes off by creating critical mass, whats going on now is a slow 'cooking' of radioactive rods (at 3000'c a rod), which will take years for this molten core to cool and solidify. By using a small tactical nuke as the lower-grade tests in Nevada, you cancel the years of 'cooking' in favor of one huge bang, which the fall-out goes out to sea if you do it at the right time.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

Then u would have too calc in pressure,, would it be enough atmospheric, too contain,, remember they are treating this as COMPLETE senario not idividually,, its their way.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Are they still calling this a level 4 event? They better upgrade that....

Wow, the Japanese really are the masters of calm understatement aren't they?

link   
# BREAKING NEWS: Radiation 400 times annual legal limit measured near No. 3 reactor (11:37)

Kyodo News

Highest radiation readings are now coming from burning reactor #4.

NHK

link   
Here is the information as per the Japanese Prime Minister and Chief Cabinet Secretary. My source is NHK World (Japan News):

Now there is an evacuation to 10km from number 2 PLANT. Not reactor, PLANT.

People up to 30km from reactor number 2 at number 1 plant are being asked to remain indoors. ALL people within 20km of PLANT 1 are being asked to evacuate.

The Japanese Govt. have asked the Japanese people to act calmly. (Watch the stock market now.)

Here we go (information for PLANT 1 - Dai-ichi):

Number 4 reactor: is on fire. There has been a hydrogen explosion there. There has been an implosion. Radiation is being released into the environment.

Number 2 reactor: there was a blast 30 minutes after number 4's explosion. A hole has been observed in the reactor. Radioactive material has been released to the environment.

At 10:22am between reactor 2 and 3, 30milliSievert and at reactor 4, 100 milliSievert. At reactor 3 the reading was 400 MILLI Sieverts. Note MILLI, not micro, and this is confirmed information.

------

Comments:

In case anyone is wondering. Yes, this is very bad.

All the other figures given in this thread are incorrect. Please observe:

1000 microsieverts is 1 millisievert.
1000 millisieverts is 1 sievert.

The total radiation release from Chernobyl was estimated to be 80000 person sieverts.
edit on 14-3-2011 by XtraTL because: Corrected a majorly incorrect figure in the comments.

edit on 14-3-2011 by XtraTL because: Spelling

edit on 14-3-2011 by XtraTL because: Parentheses

edit on 14-3-2011 by XtraTL because: Comma

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Prayers for those 50 man who stayed at the plant ...they are HEROES ...sacrifice their lives for their fellow citizens

link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
I just thought of something. How is a nuclear power plant accident any worse than a nuclear explosion? Is it the types of radiation released, or the duration of exposure? They began rebuilding Hiroshima and Nagasaki almost immediately, and yes I'm aware of the increase in leukemia and birth defects, but as a society they WERE able to live with it.

Both events are obviously horrifying, but I'm just curious to understand the difference.
edit on 3/14/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

A bomb core is measure in pounds of radioactive material.

A reactor core is measured in tons.

Basically, you're looking at the radiation exposure of a 500 bomb war.

When I say blow it, I mean using contained underground demolitions, not surface charges- sink it.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

link   
reply to post by OldCorp

I'm pretty sure the toxicity of a nuclear meltdown is a lot worse than say, a nuclear bomb going off.

The radiation from a bomb is mild in comparison from what I have read. Tbhe biggest dangers from a nuclear war aren't the radiation from the bombs themselves but all the burning cities, and burning nuclear facilities

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Breaking News CNN increase in radiation levels could impact health,think reactor number two is losing coolant,this is not good news,does anybody know if the US nuclear people are there yet?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

reply to post by OldCorp

They were hydro bombs, not nukes.

Actually, Little Boy was a Uranium fission device, and Fat Man was a Plutonium implosion device.

A hydrogen bomb is a totally different animal, deriving its explosive power from the FUSION of atoms.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChakotayA bomb core is measure in pounds of radioactive material.

A reactor core is measured in tons.

Basically, you're looking at the radiation exposure of a 500 bomb war.

Makes a ton of sense. Thanks. What about the idea another poster had? Vaporizing it with a thermonuclear weapon?

ETA: Nevermind. I can just imagine the size of an explosion caused by a chain reaction in the fuel rods. They would only fuel it.
edit on 3/14/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Then I stand corrected. Sorry. Back to serious topic...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
# NEWS ADVISORY: Radiation of up to 9 times normal level briefly detected in Kanagawa (11:40)

Kyodo News

Kanagawa is located west of Tokyo and Yokohama. Time to get out of there, I say!
edit on 14-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka

Originally posted by AtruthGuy
Just get the japanese off that island! They arent muslims .. Let them,come to the usa.
edit on 14-3-2011 by AtruthGuy because: (no reason given)

Wow, that's pretty sick and bigoted!

Just trying to help PEACEFUL people.
they need it

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasmine23
Breaking News CNN increase in radiation levels could impact health,think reactor number two is losing coolant,this is not good news,does anybody know if the US nuclear people are there yet?

doesn't matter if the Yanks are there, it's too late now that #2's containment is gone. It's over.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join