It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did the Catholic Church ever do to You?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

in my humble opinion if you asked what has the catholic church done for you ..you may get more rational answers maybe only one word or one line answers,or maybe there should be another thread asking what have they done for you...in my life time ? nothing apart from divide conquer murder and fill their coffers

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
Seriously, 99 % of all you posters out there seem to have beef with the catholic church. The Church Jesus Christ himself established. WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM ? The Church has always been there though out the ages always giving and supporting people in need.You cant always turn toward your family but you can always count on the Catholic church. (hypocrites)

Mods, please post this where you seem fit. Thanks OO
edit on 27-12-2010 by oliveoil because: (no reason given)

Um...Catholicism was more-or-less created by Constantine the Great of Rome to control rebellious Christians who did not worship the great Caeser as God. This also allowed him to gain monetarily and control vast populations of people, declaring he and the church were the gateway to Heaven. "give unto Him which is Holy, but give unto Caesar what is his, and ye shall be blessed to enter His domain." This is also why Catholics think they can 'buy' their way out of Purgatory and hold church 3 days a week if not more, for the monetary values they can collect by being open more. Catholicism is more Capitalism than it is a true spiritual religion. Why do you think so many Catholic Churches are so HUGE with Gold and Platinum pillars and extremely opulent paintings? All the while Protestant, Baptist, and other churches are usually basic, sometimes even held in barns and public city buildings. The Catholics also say "the Church is the House of God" and that donations are his bidding...? WTF? Why does God, Holier than thou need a house built by man or donations of money and human value when he says "Where ever two or more are gathered in my name, I am there."???

Get off your soapbox and read a bit instead of listening to your 90+ year old Pope's claims that he was appointed by God.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia

Originally posted by nenothtu
I beg to differ - atheism IS based upon a belief: the belief that there is no god.

It really isn't. Why do so many of you insist that it is? Is it too hard to comprehend a lack of belief either way? Deists come from a point of view where there either is a god, or a god is being denied. Atheists do not all come from that dichotomy. Many of us are defined as atheists simply for not having ANY BELIEF ABOUT ANY DEITIES EITHER WAY.

I do not believe there is a god.
I do not believe there is no god.
I do not think about gods.
That is what makes me an atheist.

Oh really?

Believing in something completely void of evidence or facts just because it makes your brain feel better is pretty much the definition of delusional.

Seeing as how it has proven that it is beneficial to believe in any higher power, what does that say about your god vs my god? Because what you are talking about it is the fact that my delusion and your delusion will bennefit us, even though it is NOT THE SAME delusion. So how does that make you feel about your god?

You "do not think about gods"?

Do you often expound upon subjects without thinking? I mean, are there other subjects you speak of without thinking of, or is deity somehow special?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
OP since you have FAILED to answer my questions, along with almost everybody elses ( reflecting the arrogance of religion in doing so, and you wonder why we lack respect for you and your kind.... sheesh.) . Makes me wonder why you wasted everybody's time making up this subject, but I will explain it to you in another way.

The biggest problem I find with people involved in organized religion, is they want to take all the goodwill from being associated with that religion, but ignore the badwill that comes with it.

It is no different than me belonging to a the Nazi Party. Never mind the fact I my have never done anything in my entire life to make people hate me. Of my own free will my association with that party would naturally bring contempt. Why , because if its History.

You want to belong to a group. Take the goodwill with the badwill , and stop crying about it OP .

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by angelwrangler

Angelwrangler is replying to self. Pardon the hubris...I felt I had not made myself clear.

With the Catholic church we have a CHURCH that is not one but two STATES each of which can grant PASSPORTS recognized by every country in the WORLD. This church is bifurcated so it can function as both a political body and a spiritual body. This CHURCH has a judicial body that qualifies on the level of a country so that it can extradite its naughty clergy, a black ops military force, a police force and an intelligence agency. It is a CHURCH. And what conversation are we having here? Philosophical. Do you need to look further to ask what the Catholic church is doing to you? Whether you are a follower or not....Houston, we have a problem.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Okay, wow!! What a response,Sorry I could not respond to every post,instead Ive decided to respond to the overall consensus.

First off, I would just like to say that whoever honestly believes that the Catholic Church kills people is really not connected to reality. The Pope does not order "hits" on people. Never has, never will!
Those who believe this are totally delusional as to the inner workings of the Church and history.

Another issue I have with what was said was that the Catholic Church harbors pedophile.How sick is this? You should be ashamed of yourselves for even thinking that.

Jesus taught us to forgive, as He forgave all sin. He also instructed his disciples and apostles to do the same.The Universal Church that Christ found does exactly that! Forgives people for there sin. EVERYONE!! no matter what they have done!

Again thanks for all your replies. OO

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Dear OO,

Forgive me, all of my family is Catholic...we yell and debate all the time and ever since I converted to Judaism I am the token "going to hell in a handbasket " relative. I come from Catholics from the old country, Ireland and Scotland I know the tartans of the tartans of the tartans of my family. Father had Sunday dinner with us a lot even after my Dad rebelled. My grand parents and their parents owned the Catholic supply shops to the Archdiocese. Not all but two or three in the last six generations. There is no recorded history in my family of anyone who is not Catholic.

Please forgive if I was too much, it actually was not directed at you and I should have mentioned that. In my original post, I gave an homage to the true Catholics, which all of my family are who have not left the church, I hope you find the post. I can tell you are a true Catholic as well. I do not think when I converted I left the teachings of Jesus, I did not. You will see that in previous post as well.

God love and keep you always, m-

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
they told me I'd go to hell for not believing in Jesus when I was too young to properly use my brain to deconstruct their fear mongering logic. Isn't that enough for anyone to get mad at them?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Another issue I have with what was said was that the Catholic Church harbors pedophile.How sick is this? You should be ashamed of yourselves for even thinking that.

Hmmmm. Did you follow any links? It is a proven fact.

As far as the shame/guilt trip......hypocrite much?

I suspect you are either quite young or quite old. Either way, the numerous posts with irrefutable evidence/facts in response to your ridiculous OP leads me to believe you can muster no sound argument / rebuttal.

Next time you yell fire in a crowded theater, you had better make sure there are flames.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by angelwrangler

You converted to Judaism?

Was it a Halachically - orthodox accepted - conversion?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Actually YES!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I find it VERY offensive that you ask such a question, but just because you're obviously ignorant of what the catholic church has done to people. MY FATHER was an alter boy and part of the local youth group which was run by the local priest. My father and many others in the youth group was sexually molested by priest. When a complailnt was filed by my grand parents, the church relocated the priest.

My family has gone through hell because of what they did and I often wonder what he'd be like if he hadn't gone through this. So they destroyed my father and my family!

ALso.. i'm from Canada and it is wide known here that the Aboriginals in Canada from the 1920s till 1992 removed aboriginal children from their homes and placed them into what they call "Residential Schools". This was a school run by priests and was meant to take the aboriginal out of the child. So they were never given an opportunity to learn about their culture because their culture was deamed by these evil people to be inferior.

These aboriginal children never learned to read, write, count and in MANY cases were subjected to intense mental, physical and sexual abuse. Look up "Common Experience Payment". The CEP is a court ordered settlement that the government has to pay all children who spent even ONE day in one of these schools. For the first year, they get $10k and $3k for every year after that. Many of these children spent nearly 10 yrs in these school and because completely disconnected from their families. Now-a-days, they are considered by a lower class of citizen in Canada, understandably, they were never educated!!!~

So now... how about you APPOLOGE for your ultra-ignorate comment, RIGHT NOW!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Okay, wow!! What a response,Sorry I could not respond to every post,instead Ive decided to respond to the overall consensus.

First off, I would just like to say that whoever honestly believes that the Catholic Church kills people is really not connected to reality. The Pope does not order "hits" on people. Never has, never will!
Those who believe this are totally delusional as to the inner workings of the Church and history.

Jesus taught us to forgive, as He forgave all sin. He also instructed his disciples and apostles to do the same.The Universal Church that Christ found does exactly that! Forgives people for there sin. EVERYONE!! no matter what they have done!

Yes, Jesus taught us to forgive, as He forgave all sin. Yet people continue to sin. How sick is this?

You should be ashamed of yourselves for even thinking that the catholic church is so pure, and has never done anything wrong.

Where in the bible or in the worldly text states that Jesus or God must be worshipped, must have a church, must pray to them every sunday (or a day), and... Where in the world said there must be a Pope and the Vaticans? One should understand where these IDEAS or RELIGION or POPE/VATICANS come from!

These ideas come from HUMAN. HUMAN's EGO to control other mankinds.

You need to really look at a different angel.

Imagine if we lived in the 400 BC, and I said, from now on, I am the pope. We must built a church, and worship jesus and god, because too many plagues and diseases are going on. Only then, god and jesus will forgive us... Do you think you will follow what I said? Of course, that is what happen in history. From then on, past down to generations, your kids will follow the next Popes. Yet no one understood the creation of the Pope and Vaticans and what purpose they surve.

Till today, the Pope rules over 1 billion people's live. If he condems you, or does not approve of something, all the 1 billion people follow him. If the pope decides to rewrite and change the Bible book, then every new generation will know only the new bible version. Hmm.... That is happening right now. What power and control!

This reminds me of, if I shook my butt left, all the 1 billion will shake their butts left. HEHEHE!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by NWOPrimate

While I am sorry that your father endured that, that situation was not brought about from Church doctrine. It was the result morally and mentally challenged individual. Jesus never said it was acceptable to corrupt and abuse a child.

Unfortunately, the hierarchy of the Church handled this situation the exact same way as every other group that had encountered this disgusting problem. Organizations had always handled this issue internally, usually with therapy as it was thought to be a curable mental disorder. I, personally, do feel this to be the case, however school systems, businesses, etc all delt with this crime the exact same way.

Anyone else: If you have any specific doctrine issues or practice issues or questions of any other nature I would be happy to reply. I simply am tired of discussing criminals who are a negligible minority within church workers.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by unlimited1

you really need to get some facts straight. First off, The Catholic church never "tied" any ones hand behind there back and told them to worship or else! What in the world are you smoking?
BTW the Pope has no authority to do anything!! the Catholic Church is not a dictatorship!
edit on 29-12-2010 by oliveoil because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-12-2010 by oliveoil because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Look, not to be disrespectful because this is your thread, but seriously, do you have your head stuck in the sand to even state this?

Using the typical catholic guilt trip of 'you should be ashamed of yourselves for even thinking that' is so true to form. Have you not read that the catholic way of guilt and intimidation doesn't work with those of us that can see through their bullcrap? The catholic church has been harboring pedophiles for decades with the blessings of the past and present popes. Wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Yes they did tie up people and told them to worship god~ What planet are you from? Dont you read? Are you confused? Read my post above.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by unlimited1

Yes, Jesus taught us to forgive, as He forgave all sin. Yet people continue to sin. How sick is this?

You should be ashamed of yourselves for even thinking that the catholic church is so pure, and has never done anything wrong.

Where in the bible or in the worldly text states that Jesus or God must be worshipped, must have a church, must pray to them every sunday (or a day), and... Where in the world said there must be a Pope and the Vaticans? One should understand where these IDEAS or RELIGION or POPE/VATICANS come from!

These ideas come from HUMAN. HUMAN's EGO to control other mankinds.

You need to really look at a different angel.

Imagine if we lived in the 400 BC, and I said, from now on, I am the pope. We must built a church, and worship jesus and god, because too many plagues and diseases are going on. Only then, god and jesus will forgive us... Do you think you will follow what I said? Of course, that is what happen in history. From then on, past down to generations, your kids will follow the next Popes. Yet no one understood the creation of the Pope and Vaticans and what purpose they surve.

Till today, the Pope rules over 1 billion people's live. If he condems you, or does not approve of something, all the 1 billion people follow him. If the pope decides to rewrite and change the Bible book, then every new generation will know only the new bible version. Hmm.... That is happening right now. What power and control!

This reminds me of, if I shook my butt left, all the 1 billion will shake their butts left. HEHEHE!

It appears to me that you are unfamiliar with the Bible. Most of your nevers are actually the 10 commandments which are found all over the text.

You would have been laughed at if you declared yourself Pope in 400 BC as that was 400 years before the birth of Christ, thus 400 years before Christianity. Christianity also was not brought about as the result of plagues and trying to get into God's good graces, a basic junior high level history course will teach you that.

Can you prove that the Pope changed and rewrote the Bible? Where is this original that you refer to? The canon as we know is the result of the letters between the apostles, every ancient text discovery unearthed thus far also discredits your claim, they are infact the same.

The Pope is not a blind leading figure, and I highly doubt if he told all Catholics to jump at 6 pm on 12/29/10 you would feel a thud. That is not included in the doctrine of infallibility, which I am only assuming you were talking about.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

you really need to get some facts straight. First off, The Catholic church never "tied" any ones hand behind there back and told them to worship or else! What in the world are you smoking?

Are you serious?

Inquisition, hello?

Crusades, hello?

Native Americans, hello?

The Inquisition was a Roman Catholic tribunal for discovery and punishment of heresy, which was marked by the severity of questioning and punishment and lack of rights afforded to the accused.

While many people associate the Inquisition with Spain and Portugal, it was actually instituted by Pope Innocent III (1198-1216) in Rome. A later pope, Pope Gregory IX established the Inquisition, in 1233, to combat the heresy of the Abilgenses, a religious sect in France. By 1255, the Inquisition was in full gear throughout Central and Western Europe; although it was never instituted in England or Scandinavia.

Even a Catholic website admits as much:

Ultimately, it may be a waste of time arguing about statistics. Instead, ask Fundamentalists just what they think the existence of the Inquisition demonstrates. They would not bring it up in the first place unless they thought it proves something about the Catholic Church. And what is that something? That Catholics are sinners? Guilty as charged. That at times people in positions of authority have used poor judgment? Ditto. That otherwise good Catholics, afire with zeal, sometimes lose their balance? All true, but such charges could be made even if the Inquisition had never existed and perhaps could be made of some Fundamentalists.

www.catholic.com...

These are Catholic apologists themselves admitting the Inquisition is a little stain on their own history, though they disgustingly go on some length trying to downplay the atrocities like some Nazi sympathizer trying to downplay the Holocaust.

Here are some nice images to go with the Inquisition:

Hands tied? Check.

Burning people alive? Check.

Yeah, teach those non-Catholics a lesson they'll never forget!

Re-inventing the wheel.
edit on 29-12-2010 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
2 Video's about the pope, and some of his believes.

edit on 29-12-2010 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

maybe not this Pope and i really can't say which may have, that is irrelevant ... but considering the Church committed the Crusades and slaughtered the Templars ... you are the delusional one.

thought we were to 'deny ignorance' here ??? guess you've got a long way to go.

Jesus taught us to forgive, as He forgave alThe Universal Church that Christ found does exactly that! Forgives people for there sin. EVERYONE!! no matter what they have done!

For the record dear ... NO CHURCH has EVER or WILL EVER forgive the sins of any human or creature ... that feat is even beyond them. tis a shame that you are so very lost ... best wishes to ya.

Again thanks for all your replies. OO

You are welcome for the contributions and it is always a pleasure sharing some truth.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join