It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did the Catholic Church ever do to You?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Seriously, 99 % of all you posters out there seem to have beef with the catholic church. The Church Jesus Christ himself established. WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM ? The Church has always been there though out the ages always giving and supporting people in need.You cant always turn toward your family but you can always count on the Catholic church. (hypocrites)

Mods, please post this where you seem fit. Thanks OO
edit on 27-12-2010 by oliveoil because: (no reason given)

+58 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
For starters protecting pedophiles and maligning the victims. How can any religion have any validity
if they protect such evil?

+45 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Understandable that you may be angry.
But the church as a whole has done more harm then good.
Crusades?
Witch hunts?
Anti-gay views?
How bout the altar-boy molestations?
Personally i dislike them as much as any other religious group, due to the fact that they are basicly selling lies.
At best, its a well-funded cult that tricks people in believing their propaganda on how to act, what to think, what is moral and what is not. (ie. Believe in what I tell you, or BURN forever)

And really, depending on where you were born, your religious views whould be different. Can't argue with that.
edit on 27-12-2010 by thirdeyeaware because: Typo

edit on 27-12-2010 by thirdeyeaware because: added a few points

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sadwolf

Your gonna have to do better than that, perhaps some proof !!! reason and logic would be feasible, In other words BACK UP YOUR CLAIM!!

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
In 5th grade I was sent to parochial school, the Nuns were very cruel to me. They once made a fool of me saying my naturally violet colored eye lids and rosy cheeks were makeup. They scrubbed me only after making me go to the bathroom to wash my face several times. I missed the wonderful and special MacDonalds lunch that day because of it, and was shamed before my classmates. I will never forget it. I was a lovely and special, sweet little girl that did not deserve such madness.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I was made to go to a Catholic school for 8 years. Although the level of education I received was very good overall, the science side of the education was awful. As far as the religion goes itself, I think that they have covered up too much of the true history of our past just to suit their own needs. Not to mention the Inquesition!

It is, IMO, a religion based upon lies and coverups...

Like the saying goes, "I was brought up Catholic and that is why I am not Catholic today." Or something like that.

+15 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
Seriously, 99 % of all you posters out there seem to have beef with the catholic church. The Church Jesus Christ himself established. WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM ? The Church has always been there though out the ages always giving and supporting people in need.You cant always turn toward your family but you can always count on the Catholic church. (hypocrites)

Mods, please post this where you seem fit. Thanks OO
edit on 27-12-2010 by oliveoil because: (no reason given)

I think you should look at Jesus's ministry before you say "Jesus established the Catholic church" b/c you are neglecting history. After Jesus died, there were many versions of what would become the Bible, many different churches, etc until the Council of Nicaea. Not only that but I can tell you a LOT of Catholics I know do not believe Catholicism and Christianity are the same.

The Vatican Church and the Pope is the leader of the Catholic world so you should expect everyone to have a "beef" with a powerful institution as the Catholic Church much like people have problems with Islam and any other too powerful religion with corrupt leaders.

The fact you refused to accept the problems the Catholic church is having at the moment shows how biased your opinion is and will be.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by thirdeyeaware
Understandable that you may be angry.
But the church as a whole has done more harm then good.
Crusades?
Witch hunts?
Anti-gay views?
How bout the altar-boy molestations?
Personally i dislike them as much as any other religious group, due to the fact that they are basicly selling lies.
At best, its a well-funded cult that tricks people in believing their propaganda on how to act, what to think, what is moral and what is not. (ie. Believe in what I tell you, or BURN forever)

And really, depending on where you were born, your religious views whould be different. Can't argue with that.
edit on 27-12-2010 by thirdeyeaware because: Typo

edit on 27-12-2010 by thirdeyeaware because: added a few points

Is this the Catholic Church, and what they stand for? I dont think so, (try again) You are giving me isolated individual instances that are not the Catholic Church as a whole

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
They peddle myths. They separate people from their money by playing on their fears. In essence, they are con-men.

In my opinion the most directly evil thing they do is to encourage the excessive breeding of poor people, thus ensuring future generations full of starving but loyal catholics. They do more to perpetuate poverty on this earth than any other group.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil
[more

Does this ring any bells.

the Catholic Church the dominant financial force in the world!

How bad can it be?. LoL

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I can't find it but the Catholic Church actually designed a document that would protect priests from being sued by those they abused!!! I don't see why you needed to have a thread just to consider the opposition when you have Google fingertip and spare time. Maybe your intention was to argue and not get any valuable info. If you don't do any research for yourself, then your mind is obviously made up.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
silly boy, the church is one with fruits....not the one changing the laws and the times...or forbidding men to marry....or selling indulgences....or etc.
we are allowed to read the bible and WE confess to Him directly...directly,
and the church has been hijacked...it's not the original one which met on the last day of the week and still observed the feasts and had never heard of lent....more and more

edit on 27-12-2010 by GBP/JPY because: last day of the week....the "SPECIAL" one of the ten commandments..!!

edit on 27-12-2010 by GBP/JPY because: LOVE

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
So I got accused by a nun in elementary school for something I did not do. It cost my mom and I a Saturday afternoon together scrubbing bathroom walls. I look back now and realize that although the nun did believe that I covered the bathroom wall in ink ...my mom did not and she believed my plea of innocence. We bonded that day and it was a special moment of my life.

A witness came forth years ago to offer to testify that he saw the local priest hold a great-great uncles hand to sign over his land grant to the church. No one doubted this because of his relationship with the church and he would have probably given it all anyway. It never went to court because nobody here disputed the church back then.

Also, I grew up in the parish of a pedophile priest who molested a few younger brothers of some of my close friends as well as a large group of other alter boys. He was charged and went to prison and it became wordlwide news. It changed the Catholic faith forever and we now have the option to have the sacrament of reconcilliation face to face.

I don't hold these things against the Catholic Church.

edit on 27-12-2010 by csimon because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Nevermind - I almost got sucked into your very-much-like-saltheart-foamswallower-diatribe.
What's it to you anyway? Why do you care that 99% of posters are anti-vatican?
People have opinions. Get over it.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Im sorry you had to go though such horror in the hands of those who represent truth. Note that there is a difference between truth and those who represent it.At the very least, I hope you learned the difference between human nature and divine nature. Catholic you are I presume?

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
They are withholding my family's information to cover their own butts. Because one of their Bishops liked my Gr-Great Grandfather's a bit too much. In doing so they have also sent "messages" through members of our extended family to "leave it alone." Multiple times.

His mother appears to have been forcibly made to become a Nun of the Poor to get her family out of debitors prison.

Their priests literally tried to burn to death one of my ancestors, and did burn the ENTIRE rest of her family.

The Nuns who raised my "sick" grandmother (whose sickness seemed primarily to be that she was a bastard out of one of the elite families of the UK, and an inconvenience to them. Possibly an embarrassment in more than one, as her father might be also another close relative.) They were very cruel to her, and she certainly grew up to display several symptoms of personality splitting due to their loving treatment.

For all that - I like most of the Catholics I know, and try to judge each action on its own merits. I think the local Catholic Bishop is a pretty decent guy.

Do you think my reasons are good enough to view the Vatican and its minions with a somewhat jaded eye?
edit on 2010/12/27 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM ?

where to start? Child molestation & covering it up, corruption, Inquisition, suppression of science etc. list is endless and it has lasted since the beginning of catholic church, or satans church as i see it.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DevilJin

I can quote all day long from the Bible, question is , is that can you give me anything to back up what you are saying?

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by raivo

Show me where there is a cover up and I will prove you wrong... Facts people!!!

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
Nevermind - I almost got sucked into your very-much-like-saltheart-foamswallower-diatribe.
What's it to you anyway? Why do you care that 99% of posters are anti-vatican?
People have opinions. Get over it.

Top comment of the entire thread in my opinion. The OP wants an argument and probably trolling. She/he isn't interested in hearing any opposition. The audacity one has to have to defend the LEADERS of the Catholic Church when there is so much evidence of abuse by them can only come from a complete blind person.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join