It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did the Catholic Church ever do to You?

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
I understand and accept that not everyone is Catholic and that not everyone follows the Bible. However, if a person chooses Catholicism (or Christianity) in general when two people are married it is for better or worse til death do you part. If there are no children involved, idk, do what you want that's between the two of you and God, however, the effects of divorce on children are huge. I do understand that there are some cases where it is healthier for child to be removed from the situation (ie abuse, alcoholism, drug abuse, etc). But the reason for most divorces is not because someone's life is in danger, most divorces occur because one or both people "fall out of love" want to go out and explore other options, etc, basically they want to be or already are promiscuous, and I don't agree with that.

As I said though, I don't hold everyone to that standard, but if a person chooses to be Catholic the standard is no divorce, expect in the most extreme circumstances.

Fine, if someone chooses to be catholic then they can adhere to those rules. However, I did not choose to be catholic yet was subjected to their thorough and lengthy inquisition. They also tried to bill me $1500 for it. There is nothing moral, god-like or Jesus-like about such behavior.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

Can i just point out that the catholic church was not started by Jesus, if it was, he Certainly wouldnt have told them to worship mary. in fact he said dont worship anybody but the lord your god!

Also, as every one above me has already said, the catholic church are practicing pedo's more than their religion, so although they havent done anyhting wrong to me personally, i feel sorry for a heck of alot of children and their parents.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by nastalgik
The average poster needs something to blame, complain about or attack. When he sees the flock attacking organized religion he joins in for a variety of reasons. For some the Church harmed them or they had a negative experience. For others they just jump the bandwagon with the new religion called Atheism.

Well, that's one ad hominem point of view. But there is another - which is that increasingly people are thinking for themselves and seriously evaluating the conduct of the catholic church and its leaders, and finding them seriously lacking in ethics and integrity.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
double post deleted
edit on 30-12-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

But you were only subjected to it because your wife or exwife wanted to remain part of the church, they didn't come looking for you, or anyone else. She wanted her previous marriage annulled so she could marry you and she wanted the church to acknowledge it. They are not imposing their view upon anyone who didn't ask for it.

For what its worth, I've seen plenty of divorced people receiving communion, they simply did the legal route, did nothing with church, and never brought it to their attention just skipped the whole thing and didn't have a church ceremony the second time around. She, however, wanted that which is why you had to jump through hoops.

As for the fees, I don't know about I'm sure it varies from parish to parish. The only thing I can think of for such a high fee is discourage it.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Proof? I've got no reason to call members of the Anishnabe tribe liars. I worked for 3 years on a documentary covering this very subject. Survival, as you call it, is a woman in her 90s who still wakes up at all hours dreaming of the rapes she endured. Remembering the beatings she received time and again.

I am empathetic to her and others who went through this terror. . .hurt humans, and I am hurt. I will endure what needs to be to see through the eyes of others. . .where's your humanity?

Archaic settlement times? These people live with this TODAY!

Take the time to know what you defend, my friend.
edit on 30-12-2010 by Divine Strake because: People blindly defend things they know nothing about.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by infoquest

Can i just point out that the catholic church was not started by Jesus, if it was, he Certainly wouldnt have told them to worship mary. in fact he said dont worship anybody but the lord your god!

Also, as every one above me has already said, the catholic church are practicing pedo's more than their religion, so although they havent done anyhting wrong to me personally, i feel sorry for a heck of alot of children and their parents.

More of this nonsense, Catholics do not worship Mary. There are plenty of websites that will detail this for you, so look it up and quit limiting yourself to antiCatholic the pope is evil websites.

I do not defend the evil people that found their way into the church, but again if you look up statistics there are far fewer pedophiles in the Church than other professions or even other forms of religion. Imho 1 is too many, but it is certainly not the type of institution that you and others insinuate.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

But you were only subjected to it because your wife or exwife wanted to remain part of the church, they didn't come looking for you, or anyone else. She wanted her previous marriage annulled so she could marry you and she wanted the church to acknowledge it. They are not imposing their view upon anyone who didn't ask for it.

Wrong. Neither of us were catholic. We married and were divorced. 10 years later shew meets a new husband (a catholic) and decides to join the church. Because of this I get drug into an annulment. They most certainly did impose their view upon me, who didn't ask for it.

For what its worth, I've seen plenty of divorced people receiving communion, they simply did the legal route, did nothing with church, and never brought it to their attention just skipped the whole thing and didn't have a church ceremony the second time around. She, however, wanted that which is why you had to jump through hoops.

As for the fees, I don't know about I'm sure it varies from parish to parish. The only thing I can think of for such a high fee is discourage it.

No matter how you cut it the catholic church is putting on a dog and pony show in order to pretend that a historical event never happened. To put people through a second divorce proceeding - and especially when one party is not, has never been and does not want to be catholic - is immoral and intrusive. To then bill that person for their unwarranted intrusion is beyond the pale. I cannot understand how or why you would view any of this as defensible behavior.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

Completely agree! Catholicism is a testimony to the ignorance of humanity! There's no doubt in my mind of this. They are the most overgrown mafia known to this earth.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

I understand and accept that not everyone is Catholic and that not everyone follows the Bible. However, if a person chooses Catholicism (or Christianity) in general when two people are married it is for better or worse til death do you part. If there are no children involved, idk, do what you want that's between the two of you and God, however, the effects of divorce on children are huge. I do understand that there are some cases where it is healthier for child to be removed from the situation (ie abuse, alcoholism, drug abuse, etc). But the reason for most divorces is not because someone's life is in danger, most divorces occur because one or both people "fall out of love" want to go out and explore other options, etc, basically they want to be or already are promiscuous, and I don't agree with that.

As I said though, I don't hold everyone to that standard, but if a person chooses to be Catholic the standard is no divorce, expect in the most extreme circumstances.

Fine, if someone chooses to be catholic then they can adhere to those rules. However, I did not choose to be catholic yet was subjected to their thorough and lengthy inquisition. They also tried to bill me $1500 for it. There is nothing moral, god-like or Jesus-like about such behavior.

I mean no disrespect, but I'm honestly curious: WHY have anything to do with this ceremonial BS at all? Why not just tell 'em if you're not there in 10 minutes, start without you, and then just go fishing? I mean, if the divorce was 10 years done, and this was necessary for THEIR closure, just let them do it themselves? Why involve yourself in it at all?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

To take it further. I actually believe I have seen what people would class as a UFO. Therefore, i'll choose to believe in ET's over a being im expected to blindly obey and execute their will without question.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
I mean no disrespect, but I'm honestly curious: WHY have anything to do with this ceremonial BS at all? Why not just tell 'em if you're not there in 10 minutes, start without you, and then just go fishing? I mean, if the divorce was 10 years done, and this was necessary for THEIR closure, just let them do it themselves? Why involve yourself in it at all?

That's basically how it ended up. However, certain questions are asked of the applicant which, if answered, may or may not indicate I did something illegal. The annulment is ultimately filed with the courts. In the end I figured it was her word against mine so I let them do whatever they were going to do

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

While I understand your irritation, the fact still remains she wanted to marry in the church, whether of her own desire or to please her new husband. Now, she must have told them you were some form of christian, bc I know for a fact that divorced Muslims that marry Catholics do not have to go through the annulment procedure as they do not follow the Bible.

I also do not understand why you would receive a bill, if there is payment to it would be her responsibility.

P.S. I don't know how long ago this happened but I do know some parishes were granting them all the time for a fee, they however were found out, and the issue corrected.
edit on 30-12-2010 by searching4truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Im sorry I feel for you brother.
edit on 30-12-2010 by oliveoil because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

So you make a thread asking for examples of the Catholic church wrongdoing and when a poster presents an example you mock him? Kinda immature but oddly not surprising.

Hypocrite much?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Relax, It was just a little humor to lighten things up a bit. We all have problems and we all suffer, but to go as far as blaming the Church is just down right ludicrous. Dont you think?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
reply to post by kinda kurious

Relax, It was just a little humor to lighten things up a bit. We all have problems and we all suffer, but to go as far as blaming the Church is just down right ludicrous. Dont you think?

exactly... just keep in mind (in case you already didn't know, and I have to keep reminding myself) you are dealing with alot of young adults, though barely able to be granted the separation that title implies apart from being called children.

we all grow up sometime ! hopefully

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
i have a problem with the church and im catholic.they have their hands in all kinds of polotics.they are pure
evil.i could go on and on.jesus christ made no religions.man made religion.religion is for people that dont
want to go to hell and spirituality is for people who have already been there.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

yes they also speak in tongues, barely comprehensible...

good point for memory

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by infoquest

You can try to point out whatever you would like, but seeing as how Catholics don't worship Mary, your point is moot.

As to your second point, the percentage of pedophiles in the Catholic Church isn't higher than other organizations that would give someone the facade of an authority figure (such as other religions clergy, youth workers or teachers).

That is not to minimize the culpability of the Church when it comes to the shameful lack of appropriate reaction and not setting up a proactive and systematic screening system to weed these sick freaks out. The hierarchy of the Church deserves condemnation for it's failings regarding this scandal. The actual molesters (imho) deserve death, life in prison or castration (I'd be generous enough to let them choose).

Eric

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join