It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did the Catholic Church ever do to You?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

some may wish to go back to about page 11 for for a better understanding of the definition of Atheism and also so they may be current in the topics discussion... even page 1 maybe ?

Newton did not only define Atheism but he also contributed more to science and branches of science than most may realize, unless they studied on him too.

Atheism is a system based in "belief" (if one believes in it that is their 'faith' in it) it is the deism of self and the most arrogant and ignorant of beliefs.

I did say (self) deism... (idolatry) see: Signature below.

edit on 12/29/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Under the Spanish Crown the Catholic Church slaughtered humans all over the world a few centuries ago.

The Spanish-Chamoru War resulted in the Catholic Church/Spain killing +250,000 Chamoru people in the Marianas Islands. That's more people than alive today in the Mariana Islands.

The Catholic Church is a entity of DEATH. We've got politicians and crooks sinning every day yet the Catholic church forgives their sins every week....as long as there is money being thrown down in the plate.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
My brother's wife (catholic) wanted to divorce him and to sign papers that he is either retarded or an alcoholic, so she can marry again some day. There was a massive pressure from the catholic brain-deads on him to sign.

He did not.

Also child abuse is a primary reason there are churches all around the world. This is how they move their child molesters (also called priests) from one place to another.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
Atheism is a system based in "belief" (if one believes in it that is their 'faith' in it) it is the deism of self and the most arrogant and ignorant of beliefs.

I did say (self) deism... (idolatry) see: Signature below.

ok, no offense here but i'm pretty sure Newton didn't create any definition of Atheism (it existed long before he) and given that observation, it would be apparent that you quoting his quote is quite irrelevant to both conversations.

Atheism is not based on a belief, quite the opposite. To 'believe' or to 'have faith' is entirely opposite the concept of Atheism. Deity, Trinity, 'deism of self' isn't even contemplated. The claim that Atheism is "the most arrogant and ignorant of beliefs" is likely nothing more than the interpretation of the denial of the Deity of the day. After all, man was created in the image of God, was he not?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

Atheism is not based on a belief, quite the opposite. To 'believe' or to 'have faith' is entirely opposite the concept of Atheism. Deity, Trinity, 'deism of self' isn't even contemplated. The claim that Atheism is "the most arrogant and ignorant of beliefs" is likely nothing more than the interpretation of the denial of the Deity of the day. After all, man was created in the image of God, was he not?

I beg to differ - atheism IS based upon a belief: the belief that there is no god. I'm not sure why any one would think a deity would jump through hoops like a trained monkey for experimental verifications, but that lack of experimental verification seems to be the basis for the atheistic belief system. Could it possibly be the lack of understanding of the nature of any being that could potentially be classed as a deity? Possibly the rejection of the possibility that a being with such a nature could potentially exist? I don't really know.

What I DO know is that it is a belief, like any other belief. Belief is all that is left when verification or falsification are both impossible.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
This is one of those silly circular arguments often used by people who believe in religion. Atheism is the rejection of religion. So if rejection of religion is a religion, that is like saying not playing football is a sport or not bird watching is a hobby.

as I have said to another poster, you may take that up with Isaac Newton and other great minds from History and Present... to "profess" something means to believe in it, and it also means to "teach" or "preach" it.

one must have a fine understanding of the subtle nuances in the English language possibly in order to grasp a better understanding of the definition of Atheism.

Then please show me where in the definition of Atheism" you find any such "teaching", "preaching" or an example of "professing". According to the dictionary Atheism is defined as

a·the·ism  –noun 1. the doctrine or belief that there is no god. 2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

So again I'd say if a rejection of religion is a religion, that is the same as saying NOT playing football is a sport. Sorry but unless you are using a magic dictionary that defines Atheism as something entirely different, you are not making much sense to me at all. How exactly are you defining Atheism?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I stopped giving my money to the thieves in the dioceses and Rome years ago and I have not looked back since.Not to mention all the crusades and child molestations and the fact your oh so noble and holy Vatican Bank had a hand in the murder of Pope John Paul I which when you look back at the history of the church is not the 1st time a Pope was killed.I am enjoying the slow death of Roman Catholicism it's called karma.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
I beg to differ - atheism IS based upon a belief: the belief that there is no god.

It really isn't. Why do so many of you insist that it is? Is it too hard to comprehend a lack of belief either way? Deists come from a point of view where there either is a god, or a god is being denied. Atheists do not all come from that dichotomy. Many of us are defined as atheists simply for not having ANY BELIEF ABOUT ANY DEITIES EITHER WAY.

I do not believe there is a god.
I do not believe there is no god.
I do not think about gods.
That is what makes me an atheist.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
i think a lot of the reason people like to pick on Catholic church is because they are pretty much the most popular religion (or one of the most popular for sure) and sure there is quite a bit of corruption, no denying that. but at the same time it's PEOPLE that are corrupted NOT the core of the religion.

i also seen antar talk about the nuns... i have to go with you on this one as i think that can be a problem at times as people try to go to extremes with religion and end up causing more harm than good at times. because while i think there needs to be a certain amount of discipline out there to keep these kids of today in line (which is sorely lacking because look at back in the day vs today... kids back then where kept in line while today kids are out of control). i do think the example that happened to antar was completely out of line and i am 100percent in favor of antar in that case.

some people seem to discipline kids way to much which ends up destroying the kid. but i suspect it might not be easy at times with kids of today. but i would suspect most people should be fine but you can bet there are a moderate amount of more extreme people out there.

p.s. i am a Catholic myself but i will admit i don't practice it to much and have not been to church on a regular basis for over 10 years now.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evil3unnie
You are referring to Genesis 1:25-27 and Genesis 2:18-19... You are reading something into the text that simply is not there.

No. I'm reading it exactly as it is.

Noah's Ark: Again you are trying to anthropomorphise God by putting limitations on his abilities.

No. I'm using the eyes and common sense that God gave me. If animals came 2x2 from all over the planet then how did the penguins waddle their way to the middle east? Or how'd the kangaroos hop across the oceans all that way? etc. And when the boat landed, why aren't there elephants in turkey now or polar bears? The FACT is that none of these animals are there because they were never there.

This my friend is not The God of the Bible.

There is very little of God in the bible.

Originally posted by Sinnthia
The Catholic Church has a well defined heiarchy with an INFALLABLE man at the top. Yep, they say that what the pope says is gold and then orders come down.

Nope, they do not say that. The pope is not infallable and no where does it say that he is. He goes to confession and fully admits his need for saving by Christ. The infallable thing is that the pope is considered unable to speak errors when making pronouncements on belief and that's due to Matthew 16:18 ... 'you are peter, the rock, and upon you I shall build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it'. They believe that the pope can't make errors of doctrine because Christ said that Hell will not prevail against the church .. and if the pope spoke errors of doctrine then Hell would have won over Christ's church.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Hey look, Newton was wrong about something else. I mean, he got the motions of certain stellar bodies wrong, and the definition of atheism.

Stop spreading this ignorant, argument from authority male bovine fecal matter around ATS. It's bigoted.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Then please show me where in the definition of Atheism" you find any such "teaching", "preaching" or an example of "professing". According to the dictionary Atheism is defined as

I will try do do my best in providing example to you, although it is right here in this thread if we could not just perceive...

Q: are you an Atheists ?

Q: do you defend Atheism and support it's teachings and also align with others who consider themselves Atheists ?

Q: do you actively peruse hatred or distrust against all other ways of thinking if it does not fall in line with your way of thinking ?

mind you there is not only Christianity in the world but there are quite possibly a few dozen other belief systems out there.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Hey look, Newton was wrong about something else. I mean, he got the motions of certain stellar bodies wrong, and the definition of atheism.

Stop spreading this ignorant, argument from authority male bovine fecal matter around ATS. It's bigoted.

Newton gave us Calculus ! where then would science be ? I find it hard to believe someone so diligent in having science as their religion and faith (as stated in Music as an Expression of Faith topic) not to know this nor see what he has done for the scientific community !!!

totally unacceptable ! because science would still yes be in the Dark Ages if it was not for this particular branch of mathematics... I guess Science does not venerate it's Saints ?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
What did the Catholic Church ever do to ME? How about molest me? How about I blocked it out of my memory for over 35years? I'm more P.O.d that my brain blocked something out of my mind, because I always thought I was pretty strongheaded.
I can remember it like it was yesterday now. Running back to my dad's store after a face to face confession with the priest when he groped me does'nt bother me anymore. I DO remember the fear I had,I had done something wrong. ME? I was NINE! Don't tell me confessions only go on in the partitioned room in the church. This was in his office. I knealed down while he sat in the chair in front of me.
I remember the awful feeling in my stomach in the car driving home like it was yesterday.
i 'think" I felt bad for a week.Kinda dazed. Don't remember.

I was watching one of those lawyers on T.V.,looking for clients who had been molested to join the class action suit against the Church and it came back to me. THAT was weird. No,I did'nt call the fricking Lawyer. Forget that.

I've been tempted to go into a church and see a priest and yell at him. Even though HE did'nt do it, the Church representaive did. Kinda like closure. Kinda want to just forget about it. But not remembering still ticks me off.
Makes me wonder what else I forgot. I hope nothing.

I wondor if it did any mental damage since I didn't remember for so long. Isn't blocking something out for 35years already mental?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

It took courage for you to share and I applaud you for that. While I'm not one to give advice, I know all too well the life long trauma and lingering sense of guilt brought on by such acts. I believe that our mind sometimes attempts to block tragic and traumatic events in our life as a form of self preservation.

I'm sure you feel the same contempt, as do I, for the RCC apologists who frequent threads like this and attempt to minimize the ravages inflicted by the RCC. I can vouch through empirical experience they often turn a blind eye to the victims/survivors of such acts as they strive to perpetuate an archaic empire based on fear and guilt in the guise of religion and altruism. Their biggest fear is apostasy or that the faithful will wake up and shun this grand ruse.

Thank you for coming forward and sharing your story. I encourage you to channel your rage into positive action by shedding light on the rampant abuse and helping others cope.

edit on 29-12-2010 by kinda kurious because: context

edit on 29-12-2010 by kinda kurious because: typos

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

I don't think you are mental, you were violated in the worst way by someone you were told to trust. It's the priest that was mental, you did nothing wrong. To have kept that inside of you for so long, please don't let your emotional and mental health suffer anymore. Write the rage you feel into a letter addressed to the priest that did this to you, and when you have written everything down you want to say to him, then go burn it. Writing out your feelings to him will bring some closure, I promise. The burning of the letter will signify purification of the abuse.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Newton gave us Calculus ! where then would science be ?

Yes, he gave us calculus. I'm not denying that.

I find it hard to believe someone so diligent in having science as their religion and faith (as stated in Music as an Expression of Faith topic) not to know this nor see what he has done for the scientific community !!!

I fully acknowledge what he did for the scientific community. But he got a few things wrong. Like alchemy. And the definition of atheism. He was also not very good in social situations, but that's beside the point. The point is that you're relying on an argument from authority, aka a logical fallacy.

totally unacceptable ! because science would still yes be in the Dark Ages if it was not for this particular branch of mathematics... I guess Science does not venerate it's Saints ?

Newton was a heretic by any Christian standard except for the most fringe. And again, you're using a red herring. We're talking about a definition of atheism, not his noted and immense contribution to the scientific world. His contributions to science and mathematics don't make all of his points valid. In fact, his points are only valid in so much as they are supported by facts. His laws of motion are validated by scientific inquiry, not by his words.

Same face I made when you didn't address the issue.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I find it funny, nobody has really mentioned my point that my nation is currently decades behind in terms of certain social policies due to the Catholic church. There is only one reply to the point from anyone at all, and it was merely an acknowledgement of how freaky it is.

Again, Malta is a nation which has retarded social development due to the Catholic church's influence. We have idiotic blasphemy laws (hundreds convicted every year in a nation of 400,000), no divorce (one of only two countries on Earth), incredible ignorance on birth control, and ridiculous restrictions on artistic expression.

Unfortunately, nobody in the world seems to acknowledge this.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Seriously? You're stealing my shtick? After all the unanswered questions to you, you have the nerve to ask others?

I will try do do my best in providing example to you, although it is right here in this thread if we could not just perceive...

Q: are you an Atheists ?

No, I am an atheist. Singular.

Q: do you defend Atheism and support it's teachings and also align with others who consider themselves Atheists ?

I defend not believing in a deity as a reasonable position. I happen to align myself with certain friends and speakers who happen to be atheists. But I find as much in common with those who simply share reason rather than ignorance as a basis for approaching the world as my allies.

Q: do you actively peruse hatred or distrust against all other ways of thinking if it does not fall in line with your way of thinking ?

Nope. Not hatred or disgust. Maybe a bit of disappointment and compassion though. I mean, my way of thinking is merely reason.

mind you there is not only Christianity in the world but there are quite possibly a few dozen other belief systems out there.

Dozens? Christianity itself is not a single system, but a category of hundreds of belief systems.

Now, answers to the following please (I've added a few more)

Question 1: Where is the evidence in Darwin's writings that he was a racist? No, the subtitle of a book isn't enough to draw a conclusion about the material contained within.

Question 2: Where is the evidence of negative social impact with regard to Darwin's theory of evolution?

Question 3: Where is the evidence that Darwin's writings and scientific findings influenced any dictatorship? Please provide direct quotes from these dictators.

Question 4: Why would it be dangerous to teach children actual, fact-based science?

Question 5: Do you or do you not agree that Darwin's theory of evolution is the best way to explain the diversity of life found upon planet Earth?

Question 6: How is evolution a racist ideology?

Question 7: How is atheism in opposition to humanity?

Question 8: Where is your evidence that all atheist are white Caucasian Anglophones?

Question 9: How is "I do not accept your proposed idea" a belief?

Question 10: Where is your evidence that atheism is "the most abominable ignorance which hides in the darkness"?

Question 11: How is atheism "deceptive"?

Question 12: In what way could "Evolution" be considered a sign of ignorance?

Question 13: How is atheism damaging?

Question 14: How is atheism a 'faith'?

Question 15: How is atheism "the very nature of ignorance itself"?

Question 16: Where is your evidence of atheism being intolerant or disrespectful?

Question 17: What is the "Atheistic doctrine"?

Question 18: What are the teachings of atheism?

edit on 29/12/10 by madnessinmysoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Kinda Kurious and Justsayin,thank you for the kind responces. I don't know about courage,rage comes to mind first.hehehe The burn the letter idea sounds like a good suggestion. I don't really feel like going into my local chuch and starting stuff.
I'll look anybody in the eye and tell them what happened. And the forgetting about it for 35years.
I've followed the Catholic Church with personal interest for a long time now. From the orgin,the 16th century stuff,whats IN the record halls at the Vatican..WHO'S really buried in the cemetary there. Has the Church done more good then evil in the World? Is the Church part of Satanic Worship from the beginning? I change my mind all the time.
But seriously, What has the church done to you,was the wrong opening question about Catholisism for ME.

Thanks for the support.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join