It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did the Catholic Church ever do to You?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
You are putting Hitler in the same category as the Pope. (how sick is that?)

Should the irony be pointed out that the pope was in fact part of the nazi youth?

just sayin

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

lol. He should read "hitlers pope"..

I would actually say the pope is even more evil, because he makes every effort to come off as 'impartial' and tolerant when in fact he is the religious manifestation of the will of the west.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

- Doctrines of the Xtian, used to spot people who were in league with the devil and executed or tortured...countless people suffered at the hands of zealetous clergymen. Imagine not being able to recite the lords prayer because english is not your first language then being tortured to death....
- The Crusades 200,000-300,000 people lost their lives over a 200 year period, before the church eventually turned on its own templar and had them all executed.
- The inquisition where "Accusation from the church was equal to guilt", was posibly one of the most disgraceful things to have ever happened in human history if you know what really went on. Ever wondered how the church got soo rich? that was how.
- The surpression of technology and knowledge, since it never "fit in" with the church's teachings, has knocked humanity back around 1000 years.

I could go on all day...dont be so blind as to defend a church that you obviously know nothing about.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Seriously, 99 % of all you posters out there seem to have beef with the catholic church. The Church Jesus Christ himself established. WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM ? The Church has always been there though out the ages always giving and supporting people in need.You cant always turn toward your family but you can always count on the Catholic church. (hypocrites)

Mods, please post this where you seem fit. Thanks OO
edit on 27-12-2010 by oliveoil because: (no reason given)

The Catholic Church is the house of Satan and the Anti-Christ.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

reply to post by raivo

Show me where there is a cover up and I will prove you wrong... Facts people!!!

US Church cost for clergy sex abuse tops $436 million in ‘08

WASHINGTON (CNS)—U.S. dioceses and religious orders spent more than $436 million in 2008 on settlements and other costs related to clergy sex abuse, a decrease of 29 percent over the $615 million paid out in the peak year of 2007.

Hope you like the source: AmericanCatholic.org

I doubt they would make those kinds of settlements if they were innocent.

"GOD Bless this broom so that we may sweep our misdeeds under the rug of righteousness"

Oh and here is a great site: BishopAccountability.org
The website was ordered by the court as part of settlement by the way, the RCC was not forthcoming on its own accord.

I especially like that heartwarming story in the survivor section where a young boy was molested at his father's funeral. Link

Pathetic religion. Pathetic thread.

I think you should ask some of the survivors in this documentary:

edit on 28-12-2010 by kinda kurious because: fix link

edit on 28-12-2010 by kinda kurious because: typos

edit on 28-12-2010 by kinda kurious because: typos tweaks

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by anicetus
The Catholic Church is the house of Satan and the Anti-Christ.

In all my years on ATS, I dont think I have ever seen a more ignorant, fail of a responce...thank you for enlightening us and yet seemingly lowering the IQ all who happened to read that responce.

Educate yourself, dont be a fool.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
It wasn't until I stopped being catholic that I realized what was being done to me and those in that horrid religion. Being brainwashed, conditioned, being taught to have blind faith, to not question anything the bible says, to be ignorant and closeminded, to have a limited perspective. I am thankful to myself and the internet for setting me free from the church's control. Yes I said the internet, without it I probably would have never understood anything let alone know about the many things that were going on in this world and the endless possibilities of things. Unfortunately my mom and sister are still indoctrinated. Say something against god and I get yelled at, if I talk about what I believe to be the truth and I am laughed at and ridiculed.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Seriously, 99 % of all you posters out there seem to have beef with the catholic church. The Church Jesus Christ himself established. WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM ? The Church has always been there though out the ages always giving and supporting people in need.You cant always turn toward your family but you can always count on the Catholic church. (hypocrites)

I have a strong opinion about this. I believe the Catholic Church (the hierarchy and power of the Church itself; not the many adherents in the world) is corrupt and rotten through and through. The Church of Rome has upon its head, the suffering and subjugation of millions of individuals - and entire civilizations! - throughout history.

I see, from a quick search, that this has been posted in ATS before, but it seems to have been removed by user. Here's one section of an Intelligence Squared debate about this very issue. Is the Catholic Church a force for good in the world? It's worth while to watch all four parts, although I'm including only one part here. Fingers crossed that I've done this correctly - it is new to me.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
The average poster needs something to blame, complain about or attack. When he sees the flock attacking organized religion he joins in for a variety of reasons. For some the Church harmed them or they had a negative experience. For others they just jump the bandwagon with the new religion called Atheism.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
What did the Catholic Church ever do to You?

Quite simply, It lied.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
When I was in grade school, all the Catholic kids got to leave school early (in public school buses) every Wednesday to go to Catachism. Totally unfair!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

You are giving me isolated individual instances that are not the Catholic Church as a whole

Then I suppose you will accept this since it is from your leader and the "holiest" human to Catholics:

Pope Benedict made one of his strongest apologies to victims of sexual abuse by Roman Catholic priests on Saturday in London, while thousands of marchers staged the biggest protest of any of his trips abroad.

As he has done on three previous visits, the pope held a private meeting with victims of sexual abuse hours after telling worshippers at a Mass that pedophile priests had brought "shame and humiliation" on him and the Roman Catholic Church.

Link

Ever heard of the term blind faith? I thought not.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Instead of playing the victim role, if you don't like a certain religion then move on.

I find far more peace being in nature, or by a river, lake, ocean, this for me is connecting.

To each his or her own.

Peace
edit on 28-12-2010 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by nastalgik
The average poster needs something to blame, complain about or attack. When he sees the flock attacking organized religion he joins in for a variety of reasons. For some the Church harmed them or they had a negative experience. For others they just jump the bandwagon with the new religion called Atheism.

And many have researched the topic, given it much reflection, and have come to the conclusion, based on the evidence, that the Catholic Church is corrupt and a force for evil in the world.

Some posters will try to denigrate rational arguments by trying to belittle and ridicule the people who present such arguments - which actually suggests that said posters are bereft of rational grounds for countering the arguments presented.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerribleTeam2
reply to post by croweboy

To be honest, I think it should be renamed the "Abusive Church", because that seems more appropriate. But of course, you are going to get the full blooded Evangelicals in here that think because it is Gods word, that it is infallible.

Shame they are so indoctrinated that they can't see the problems right in front of them............

"Evangelical" Catholics?

What a concept!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Instead of playing the victim role, if you don't like a certain religion then move on.

While I am glad that your experiences as a youth had a happy ending, your assessment wreaks of a Pollyanna.

Sadly the same cannot be said for the THOUSANDS of innocent children who were molested. I doubt they had the ability to simply "move on." The influence of an adult religious authority figure yields a powerful sense of helplessness compounded by guilt. The emotional scar of even one act of abuse is enough to last a lifetime. Hopes and dreams of a normal life....stolen.

So blue skies pal but life doesn't always work that way.

Peace out.

edit on 28-12-2010 by kinda kurious because: typos

edit on 28-12-2010 by kinda kurious because: typos2

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
No religion can be based on facts. All religions are based upon faith. Religion has as much fact as Greek mythology. Unless you personally have died and came back to let everyone know what's waiting for us on the other side, you can't preach and base it on fact. My days in catholic school consisted of believing in a place called purgatory. It was a place between heaven and hell and the only way you got out is by people praying for you. We were also told if we died with a scapula worn around our necks we would automatically go straight to heaven! There is just so much BS and being gullible kids we all believed it. Noah's ark is another ridiculous story. If you really believed in a supreme being, do you really think it would take him 7 days to create our earth? What about all the other billions of planets and stars in just our universe? Why were there so many religions established if their is truly only 1 God? Realizing religion was based on man's age old questions to "how did we get here", is just plain common sense! One of these days the truth will be told and people of the world will realize how foolish it was to believe in religion.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Missing Blue Sky
Here is how the Holy Roman Catholic Church, my church, our church was established.... (everyone is Catholic by the way-it is just they have a choice to refuse that fact)

www.youtube.com...

I'm not catholic - thanks for the offer, but no thanks. It's not a matter of "refusing" anything at all, it's just a fact. You can leave me out of that "OUR church" nonsense in reference to the Roman Catholic Church - note I left out "holy" since there isn't anything holy about it. I'll tend to my own knitting, and I'm perfectly content for you to look after yours.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by nastalgik
For others they just jump the bandwagon with the new religion called Atheism.

Being against organized religion, does not equate to atheism, at all. Atheism is just another camp that believes they absolutely know the answers to questions none of us know the answers to. I'm spiritual agnostic, I feel the world would be a far better place without organized religion. It is mind boggling how many people fall for the scam of organized religion, and do not see very clearly how they are being manipulated by disgusting, evil men taking their money and convincing them to lead miserable lives. Just look at the OP, she is in denial, dismissing any evidence of the vaticans wrong doings throughout history by saying "those are isolated incidents, not the church as a whole". Like somehow, the church as a whole is some conscious being. The church as a whole is made up of all those corrupt bastards behind all those "isolated incidents". The sheep that follow them are just simple minded fools that cannot think for themselves, and are too weak to connect with their own spirituality, or do good for others on their own free will. They need to be told what to do. That's sad.

My relationship with "god", or whatever you choose to call the higher power, is within me. I prefer to spend my time with my family, teaching them to treat all life with respect, and help those in need in any way we can. I do not need another man to tell me how to do that, and tell me that he is closer to "god" than I am, or anybody else. Some may mean well, but many are flat our liars, frauds, and worse. Organized religion is behind the majority of wars, and the majority of the suffering in this world. I don't single out the catholic church, but they are one of the big ones.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

Since I was a victim of pedophilia by my bus driver to and from my parochial school in Philadelphia, I feel that you are without much standing.
This went on for years and it included most of the males on this Roman Catholic transport. The bus driver, Steve, went to a funny farm for a short while considering his long series of multiple abuses. It 's not a savory portion of my childhood.
This entire incident was buried and never made the papers.
My agnosticism was confirmed by other processes but certainly was strengthened by my eventual understanding of what had occurred.
The reason this reprobate was able to get away with this for so long is that they didn't speak of sex until we were old enough to create progeny. Their policies of enforced ignorance and the attachment of filth to normal sex precluded an early outing of this piece of scum.
So, name the good part of this and the worthiness of the church.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join