It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"FDA Bans Caffeine In Alcoholic Beverages?"

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

70% of home accidents occur in the bathroom. The combination of water and smooth surfaces makes taking a bath or shower a risky proposition. Slip and falls account for over 20,000 fatalities per year in North America. It is the second leading cause of accidental death and disability after automobile accidents. Over 75% of slip-fall deaths occur to people 65 years of age or older.

LINK

Just like caffeine and alcohol don't mix, neither do old people and bathrooms. Clearly, with the FDA's line of thinking, we should ban old people from bathrooms.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

Originally posted by GTOWarrior
I actually think this is a good idea. Young people cannot discern or control drinking habits as much as an experienced drinker. Therefore, because of the risk of mixing alcohol and caffeine and the effects it has on the body physically, it is in the best interests of the general public. No different than adding coc aine to beer. It is a dangerous combo, and can cause heart problems, and caffeine overdose. As for adding it to other foods, I am not sure of the reason of banning that.

I think its a good idea for me to run your life.

Legislating stupidity again. How are we supposed to employ survival of the fittest if they keep saving the stupid people from doing stupid things?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by GTOWarrior
I actually think this is a good idea. Young people cannot discern or control drinking habits as much as an experienced drinker. Therefore, because of the risk of mixing alcohol and caffeine and the effects it has on the body physically, it is in the best interests of the general public. No different than adding coc aine to beer. It is a dangerous combo, and can cause heart problems, and caffeine overdose. As for adding it to other foods, I am not sure of the reason of banning that.

lol and how the hell does one become an experienced drinker? Oh ya that's right they start our as a young person who cannot discern or control drinking habits...

Please someone tell me why it is that the apparently educated world of the US of freaking A cannot and will not adhere to the "moderation" policy and understand that "outlawing" a product does absolutely zip zilch nada to solve the situation and just pisses the "moderate" well intentioned people off to high heaven?]

Can someone tell me when we will eventually evolve as a species and stop letting the few ruin it for everyone and apparently think that, that is an ok, normal, intellectual "thing" to do, to generalize safety because some low-Iq defect can't avoid self harm?

I mean if this pattern of thought in the high and might FDA office continues and people start over dosing on water will these nut jobs find it fit to eliminate everyone ability to consume water?

I mean honestly the logic behind these people is so incredibly back ass-ward flawed it scares me to think they are actually in charge of making any kind of "big decision".

Everything in extremes can kill...those who cannot learn this simple concept of moderation fall victim of natural selection, and something tells me that's how it is SUPPOSED to be, so today's village idiot wont become tomorrows FDA exec...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Even though I disagree with it being banned, perhaps it might be the smart thing to do. Maybe there should be limits on what should be sold? Honestly...the drink Four Loko is nothing but pure Poison. Why would anyone want that in their bodies is beyond me...but hey, their choice...and a stupid one.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

reply to post by jfj123

No, the title is 100% accurate.

The article even uses the word "BAN" specifically as it relates to caffeinated products.

Caffeine is a unsafe food additive - didn't you know?

Funny how Nicotine isn't an unsafe food additive - it's used in Nicorrete Gum and similar products. C. Everett Koop, former surgeon general, said cigarettes are as addictive as heroin and coc aine. So why the lazy attitude about nicotine?

Just for the record, I'm not a smoker but I support the right for people to smoke should they choose to. I'm not in support of the Nanny State where they need to tell us how to live.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
No more Four Loko???!!!????

Seriously though, it should not be made illegal. People have the right to put whatever substances they want into themselves. That is one of their rights, supposedly. I thought so at least.

Ughhh, well what I or anyone else will say will not change anything so what you going to do. I am going to go out and buy all the Four Loko's I can in the nearby area. That way I can enjoy them even after their gone.

edit on 11/17/2010 by theUNKNOWNawaits because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I think you're intentionally misleading people implying that caffeine itself is going to be banned when in reality, it's caffeine in energy drinks that will be banned.

I suggest you read up on the reasons why this ban is being suggested.

Here's one:

Four Loko Poisoning

You can jump on the liberty bandwagon all you want but if you know anything about college students and binge drinkers, you know that people WILL abuse such beverages.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whyhi

Laws can only punish, never prevent.

The fact that you will face punishment is a arguably a deterrent to some crimes.

Move to Somalia if you want total freedom, let me know how that works out.

I was gonna stay out of this (RAW MILK OP
? )

However your point is right o n- Somalia is in fact the one place on Earth were OP's desired governance does exist.

The centralized government is so weak there it cannot even secure the entire capital city from warlords and their "private security".

Of course OP denies that a free for all results in Somalia, that Americans are any less human, what ever the case; Somalia's complete lack of democratic governance has been replaced by a private market place.

Again; somehow the stelar results do not reflect what such an environment produces if the same thing were in practice here...

It is a miracle!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I don't understand your liberal use of the word "idiot" but I do understand the risks that such drinks pose. Again, it all comes down to responsible usage. If more of these "idiots" would use discretion and NOT overdo such drinks, there would not be a call for a ban, etc.

It's when these "idiots" do stupid things and harm themselves or others, that the people, i:e-the government, must crack down on them.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

IF you know anything about college students and binge drinkers then you will know that they will abuse ANY alcoholic beverage. College students go to the hospital for alcohol poisoning a lot, four loko being the reason or not. I have seen it happen many a time. Why are they drawing the line here though? Why not ban all alcoholic beverages then and we go back to prohibition times?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I don't understand your liberal use of the word "idiot" but I do understand the risks that such drinks pose. Again, it all comes down to responsible usage. If more of these "idiots" would use discretion and NOT overdo such drinks, there would not be a call for a ban, etc.

It's when these "idiots" do stupid things and harm themselves or others, that the people, i:e-the government, must crack down on them.

I do agree with you totally here though.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

You don't get the point and therefore, it is not worth arguing with you.

You know what? Since we're following your logic, why not make rape and murder legal? Some people enjoy raping and murdering others. Hell, we'll make molesting children legal too. In fact, let's legalize marijuana, crack coc aine, ecstasy, meth, moonshine and so forth. Liberty for all! At least the news would not run out of stories to report of idiots harming others with their newly-found liberty.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123
Well we can solve this problem by simply dissolving all laws.
Problem solved right?
Sounds like a great idea to me

No, we must have laws that protect people like me from people like you.

People who want to use force to get their way rather than voluntary cooperation.

People who want to loot others at the point of a government gun.

People who want to create victimless laws to cartelize industry.

I need legal protection from people like you.

I am currently lobbying for a ban on bans.

All those who use their speech to limit the freedoms of others should be punished.

We all know there are limits to speech; we cannot libel or slander or incite violence and we should not tolerate people using their speech to attempt to limit the freedoms of others.

*As only a mentally ill person would persist in calling for bans in spite of these new laws, I would propose that they be recommended for treatment until they come to terms with reality.

Until they are in treatment or jail, fining these ban-happy types can serve as a revenue stream for municipalities in financial trouble.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by theUNKNOWNawaits

Because drinks like Four Loko and Joose are knowingly marketed by companies that our "free-market experts" on ATS would defend to the death.

You can get the same effect from drinking too many vodka and red bulls. The reason why neither are illegal is because this combination is not marketed as openly as Joose and Four Loko.

Again, it comes down to responsible use of alcoholic beverages, which I strongly support. We don't have to ban alcohol altogether but we should not allow drinks that mix the use of stimulants and depressants onto the market.
edit on 17-11-2010 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Caffeine and alcohol is a dangerous combination. It should be illegal to sell products that contain both.

Not to mention that both are physically addictive. It's almost as bad (if not worse) than cigarettes.

No one is saying you can't do jager-bombs. Just that you can't sell that prepackaged. Good I say.

Mnemeth1 is a nutter. I wouldn't listen to a word that comes out of that guy's mouth. He's an anarchist shill who will fight the status quo no matter what - even if it makes sense.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

You know what? Since we're following your logic, why not make rape and murder legal? Some people enjoy raping and murdering others. Hell, we'll make molesting children legal too. In fact, let's legalize marijuana, crack coc aine, ecstasy, meth, moonshine and so forth. Liberty for all! At least the news would not run out of stories to report of idiots harming others with their newly-found liberty.

are you comparing a drink to child molestation? Also, marijuana should be legalized considering legalized drugs actually kill over 500,000 Americans a year while the natural herb kills.... 0.

Where's your logic, chief?
edit on 17-11-2010 by SeventhSeal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Yes, it does come down to responsible use of alcoholic beverages. That was my point. If their not going to be responsible and our harming their own bodies by drinking too many then that is their own fault. It is the same if they drank too many vodkas and red bulls, thus harming themselves. Once again, it is their own fault. What they put in their own mouths and bodies should be their own decision. Their comes to a point when you can only regulate so many things. They really need to stop worrying about small things like this and more on bigger things.

Who cares if it is advertised more. Tequila seems to be advertised the most on TV nowadays, at least in my area. If too many teenagers and college kids drink too many of them and go to the hospital, are we then to ban tequila, because it was advertised more then other drinks and caused some trips to the hospitals?

To me this is ridiculous that they are banning it.
edit on 11/17/2010 by theUNKNOWNawaits because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Pfft, just look at the harm now. I mean, some jackass on the internet is so inept in his understanding of liberty and natural rights that he thinks making an absurd logical fallacy as the focal point of his argument.

If the state doesn't regulate the internet, countless minds could be affected by the brain cell lost from reading this post!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

If you could prove to me that a can of Joose is more harmful that its weight-equal in McDonalds hamburgers then you would have a point.

....pity.

I guess freedom works for everyone...

...who doesn't get in the FDA's way.
edit on 17-11-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Well, caffeine and alcohol is a bad mix, however, this is one of those things that should be left for the people to decide verses the fda. its my right to mix legal substances, and as a consumer, if I was into making poor choices, I should be able to purchase a premixed product also of legal ingredients...be it irish coffee, the vodka rebull mentioned, or any other crappy concoction (rum and coke).

Some things the FDA is good for...this is certainly not one of them.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join