It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"FDA Bans Caffeine In Alcoholic Beverages?"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Obviously you like to play the Socratic game so I'll ask you a question now:

Is it or is it not dangerous to mix a depressant, such as alcohol, with a stimulant, such as caffeine?

Please answer the question directly (yes and no) and do not try to work around it. Thanks

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123
Yes I agree !
Companies should be able to put anything they want into the products we consume without any type of restrictions or safety regulation. Those safety regulations just get in the way of our happiness and our rights !

edit on 16-11-2010 by jfj123 because: (no reason given)

For some odd reason you seem to think producers want to harm their customers.

I'm not sure what alternate reality you are living in, but from what I can gather, a company that intentionally tries to harm its customers will be sued and run out of business rather quickly.

Thus, regulations are pointless.

They serve one purpose and one purpose only - to cartelize industry.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal

Is it or is it not dangerous to mix a depressant, such as alcohol, with a stimulant, such as caffeine?

Please answer the question directly (yes and no) and do not try to work around it. Thanks

yes, it is dangerous.

so is skydiving.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I need caffeine because I am really tired.. tired of sensationalist attention grabbing post titles.

Like this one.

The orig. title was "FDA Bans Caffeine". Kudos for changing it to reflect the actual situation.
edit on 16-11-2010 by Endure because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Endure
I need caffeine because I am really tired.. tired of sensationalist attention grabbing post titles.

Like this one.

I'm tired of pointless posts that have nothing intellectually stimulating to offer and don't add anything to the conversation.

I'm going to drink a vodka-redbull to wake myself up.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

yes, it is dangerous.

so is skydiving.

...and you work around it.
It's only specific beverages they are targeting. Obviously these beverages hold dangerous levels of both depressant and stimulant when mixed together. I know you can't trust government for everything, and everything should be questioned, but things like this aren't even worth picking a fight over.

Your livelihood, nor anyone elses, won't be changed by it. Breathe.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

It's only specific beverages they are targeting. Obviously these beverages hold dangerous levels of both depressant and stimulant when mixed together. I know you can't trust government for everything, and everything should be questioned, but things like this aren't even worth picking a fight over.

You seem to think we should ban things because they are dangerous.

By that logic, you should have a beef with driving, skydiving, mountain climbing, and chainsaws.

edit on 16-11-2010 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Yes I agree !
Companies should be able to put anything they want into the products we consume without any type of restrictions or safety regulation. Those safety regulations just get in the way of our happiness and our rights !

edit on 16-11-2010 by jfj123 because: (no reason given)

For some odd reason you seem to think producers want to harm their customers.

They don't care whether they do or not.
You think the cigarette companies care whether or not they harm their customers?
Do you think drug dealers who spike their products with drain cleaner care about harming their customers?

I'm not sure what alternate reality you are living in, but from what I can gather, a company that intentionally tries to harm its customers will be sued and run out of business rather quickly.

Thus, regulations are pointless.

Actually, regulations are what allows those corporations to be sued

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I'm tired of pointless posts that have nothing intellectually stimulating to offer and don't add anything to the conversation.

You must be exhausted with yourself all the time

2nd line

link   

I don't think anyone sees caffeine as dangerous in itself.

If marijuana is dangerous when it hasn't been the cause of a single persons death in the history of mankind, I think a substance 20,000 people a year die from and nearly everyone in the USA is addicted too is a tad bit more dangerous.

link   
reply to post by jfj123

Fraud and malicious behavior do not require specific regulations be violated before a lawsuit can be filed.

If someone sells me water mixed with razor blades but says it is a Coke, I can sue them for damages and for fraud.

They misrepresented the product and intentionally tried to deceive me, causing me physical and monetary harm in the process.

No regulations required.

Just fraud laws.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

By that logic, you should have a beef with driving, skydiving, mountain climbing, and chainsaws.

Maybe we should throw walking in the park (for fear of being kidnapped or twisting an ankle) and watching tv onto your list. I think you're just nitpicking at a non-issue and trying to turn it into an issue.

Because anything can be dangerous, do you think there should be no regulation in driving, skydiving, being a nuclear physicist, flying a plane, etc, or anything else that can be deemed dangerous, by the government? In other words, would you rather have no laws versus some?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

So nothing dangerous should be banned under any circumstances.....that's what you're saying.
Hey why bother banning things like contaminants in baby food. Stupid babies should know better anyway right?

link   

It's only specific beverages they are targeting. Obviously these beverages hold dangerous levels of both depressant and stimulant when mixed together.

Everything you have said is meaningless when you fail to explain why drinks such as Jager bombs are legal then, especially considering there is far more alcohol AND caffeine in one jagerbomb compared to an equal amount of this four loko stuff.

link   

Nice thread! Now on a personal note, I like how people are attacking the way you argue. STOP MAKING SENSE, YOU ARE REALLY HURTING THEIR ARGUMENT! Lol. Keep up the good fight.

Until people realize the only way to ever progress is for people to be allowed to think for themselves, we'll just have to keep reminding them. If I'm not hurting them then it is none of their business what I do!

And caffeine and alcohol being band is ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Maybe we should throw walking in the park (for fear of being kidnapped or twisting an ankle) and watching tv onto your list. I think you're just nitpicking at a non-issue and trying to turn it into an issue.

Because anything can be dangerous, do you think there should be no regulation in driving, skydiving, being a nuclear physicist, flying a plane, etc, or anything else that can be deemed dangerous, by the government? In other words, would you rather have no laws versus some?

No, this is a big issue.

This is the FDA declaring caffeine to be a dangerous food additive.

That is a big deal.

It might not be a big deal to YOU - but it is to me.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

No, this is a big issue.

This is the FDA declaring caffeine to be a dangerous food additive.

That is a big deal.

It might not be a big deal to YOU - but it is to me.

Stop misrepresenting what they're saying.
They're declaring the COMBINATION to be dangerous and you know it.
There's a big difference.
The government isn't going after either product individually like you are your playmate are trying to portray.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

The government isn't going after either product individually like you are your playmate are trying to portray.

Explain why jagerbombs are still legal when there is more caffeine and alcohol in a jagerbomb than an equal amount of this beverage that was banned.

Because until you can, everything you say defending this move is meaningless.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Sad day this is.

People defending the FDA on ATS.

I don't even care what it's about the FDA is making money off of slowly killing you like they always have. They're banning caffeinated alcoholic beverages? Then they are probably as good for you as Cheerios, a product that the FDA is trying to ban all over the UK right now because it is a "health product" and only the FDA can sell "health products"!

You're all lovely little soldiers for those who want to slowly killing you and your relatives with cancer and coronary heart disease so that they can make a quick buck off of a fascist monopoly on the public's health.

The FDA hasn't done anything in the general public's ACTUAL health interest in a very long time. Just their legal responsibility to raise stockholder value. What is their tax bracket again? I wonder why they are allowed to do... quite literally... whatever the hell they want.

The only reason they want this banned is because they aren't making any money off of it. People will add vodka to Red Bull themselves, just like they did before it was available that way in-store. The FDA does not say anything negative about this.... I wonder if the FDA is just mad that they aren't the only ones in the country getting people addicted to drugs and making money off of their negative health effects... they now have competition: caffeine, and they aren't allowed to join the party because drugs cannot be natural because natural things cannot be patented.

Don't get too worried. You'll see "FDA Approved" alcoholic energy drinks on the shelves soon enough with enough additives for it to be considered bionic and enough carcinogenic properties and corrosive garbage to make sure everyone is dependent on some sort of drug that only the FDA supplies at some point in their life.

...And congratulations, this is the cause you are all fighting for...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC

Explain why jagerbombs are still legal when there is more caffeine and alcohol in a jagerbomb than an equal amount of this beverage that was banned.

Because until you can, everything you say defending this move is meaningless.

The Jägerbomb is a cocktail that is mixed by dropping a shot of Jägermeister into a glass of Red Bull.
1 can of redbull contains 80mg of caffeine.

Four Loko can contain 12% alcohol and 200 mg of caffeine.

As I've posted before

While there have always been drinks that mix caffeine and alcohol, health experts say these pre-mixed cocktails are much more dangerous than rum and Coke or even Red Bull and vodka. The cans may be the size of two 12-ounce beers, but they deliver a much stronger punch. “Some, like Four Loko, are 12 percent alcohol and have something in the range of 200mg of caffeine,” says Bruce Goldberger, a forensic toxicologist at the University of Florida. “That’s the equivalent of five to six beers and four to five colas in one can.” A 110-pound woman who downs a single can will have a blood-alcohol level twice the national intoxication standard, he says.

The high caffeine levels prevent drinkers from falling asleep, overriding the body’s natural defense against excessive alcohol consumption. Because they’re “wide-awake drunk,” Goldberger says, consumers don’t realize how intoxicated they are. Studies reveal drinkers of caffeinated alcohol are more likely to engage in “risky behavior, like drunk driving and sexual assaults,” he says.

The megadose of caffeine creates additional problems. Dr. Richard O’Brien, an emergency physician in Scranton, Pa., says he’s seen an increase in drunken kids “coming in saying their hearts are pounding out of their chests.” To date, he adds, “everyone I’ve seen drinking this stuff has been under 21.”

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join