It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Use Taser on 911 Caller

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Your kidding right? I am going to assume you are being sarcastic because I am sure you watched the video. She is a 57 year old woman. She was on her own property. She called for help when her husband was away because she was afraid.

The police came and demand to know her full name and then they lost there minds. I have been a professional firefighter for many years and I have never seen anything so stupid and unprofessional as to how these cops who were supposed to give this 57 year old 3rd grade teacher some peace of mind, may have shattered any peace of mind she has hop of having again.

I see it first hand. The American police have zero tolerance. They didnt used too and human beings are not a zero tolerance creature. We are complex and fragile.

You sir need to check yourself if you were being serious.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Tinkertrain
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Whats right there on the dash cam?

I see the officer trying to get her in the car and she wont go. The dash cam you are referring to gets there after whatever incident has happened that lands her in that perdicimant.

You don't know what was said or done prior to him arriving. The video provided doesn't even let you know what the first response officer has said over the radio when he called in assistance.

For all you know she was waving a butcher knife before he arrived.

You know the simpsons episode where nelson is hassling the nerd by grabbing his arm and punching him with it saying "Stop punching yourself... stop punching yourself."....

Yeah, great logic. Step on someone and say "I'll keep stepping on you unless you stand up.. Stand up.. STAND UP!!!"

man... LAW and ORDER have become meaningless..

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Can you be arrested, tazed, and pepper-sprayed for not wanting to give your full name to the police after you call them to help you?

Is that the invitation to a beating?

Jesus that is way to overboard.
I mean the woman is pushing 60, AND she is the one that called them out of fear!

I think they were right to get rid of these guys.

I'd not even want to ask cops for directions in that town.
I can see how it would go down...

Me: Excuse me officer, do you know how to get to the highway from here?

Police: Why, where are you going to?

Me: Well, I don't think that really is important, I just...

Police: ON THE GROUND NOW OR I WILL TAZE AND PEPPER SPRAY YOU!!

Freedoms.
They were good once.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

In a two minute video, they tazed her three times. Once at 31 seconds. Once again at 47 seconds. And again at 1 min 5 seconds. Then the sheriff showed up and they stopped.

Just like you said, in reference to the Simpsons, how in the world is she supposed to stand up when they tazed her 3 times in less than 1 minute? Isnt the tazer SUPPOSED to make you fall down and become immobile.

That guy was just a sadist.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

That guy was just a sadist.

That about sums it up!

Hard to comply with 50,000 volts jerking your muscles.

Yet he continues to yell at her to move!

:shk: crazy.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by Nutter

I just showed you the number of Cops there are. Compare that to the number of these incidents we see. Use critical thought.

You do realize that the movie American Gangster was based on a true story, where almost 40% of the police were involved in drugs, protection and racketeering.

Now if in any city it is possible for the police to be that involved in crime, consider the same critical thinking and understand that those crooked cops would also learn from past mistakes and seal up their loose edges.

So you can say,
"oh there are only a few incidents each year", but the reality is that there are only a few incidents that actually come to light each year. When you write your congressman or MLA (in Canada) they consider each letter worth about 100 opinions. That is because so few people actually write letters. I believe the same averages apply here.

The fact that these cops felt comfortable enough to taze this woman in her own home/yard should really tell you something about what these cops feel about the sanctity of your home.

Me, I don't hate cops, I hate corruption. Any cop that stands idly by and turns a blind eye to the abuses of their brethren is as bad as the one performing the abuses.

..Ex

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I'm scared of ANYONE with a gun and the authority to shoot me, and a pain compliance device that by it's very nature puts them in a position of master and me in the position of cattle.

I have never. once. met. a cop. that seemed. NICE.

Not once. I had one threaten to take me to jail once because I asked how much longer a simple traffic ticket would take. I'd been sitting on the side of the road for 2 freakin' hours.

I don't like em. Don't like any of em. They scare me. I see them and hear about them killing dogs, old people, children. Why SHOULD I like them? They don't care about poor folk like me.

My first memory of a cop is when they beat my uncle up so bad. He was drunk but they cut him up so bad beating him that it took 104 stitches to sew him up.

I've been a mental health nurse. I've been threatened, cussed, spit on, kicked, had stuff thrown at me...never once had to hurt anyone to deal with it.

Especially if the lady is 53, and has no weapon, why taze her at all? A LOT of 53 year olds have heart conditions!

So what if she was 'crazy'? A lot of times a 53 year old acting crazy might be diabetic or have a blood flow disorder. Do they deserve to die for that?

When I was in high school, there were a group of mean boys that liked to grab the smaller boys and POLE them - you know, hold them against their will, legs spread and run them into poles?

Guess what? All those mean boys are now cops in my area. The whole lot of them. I guess if you like to torture animals you become a serial killer, and if you like to bully and torture people weaker than you, you become cops.

For me, it's just existential. I don't just feel a lot of remorse when something happens to one either. I guess all the so-called good cops hang out on the internet to defend their brethren against cop bashers like me.

I just know that I expect people to TALK to me and give me a bit of time to digest what's going on. I have issues with my nerves. If they tazed me, my nerves would keep firing for a LONG time, because that's what my nerves do.

The whole taser thing, that just seems like torture to me. Defending someone using a taser seems like defending torturers, and I can't do that.

I wish they'd just stop using them, especially if there is no weapon involved in the so-called crime.

They seem to think that the taser gives them the right to be both policeman, judge, and executioner. Right there on the spot, they make the desicion, pronounce the guilt, and carry out the punishment. That's dangerous to justice. I believe that's what we are seeing and why so many of us that try our darndest to be law abiding, good community members are feeling like cops are not on our side.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by v3_exceed

Me, I don't hate cops, I hate corruption. Any cop that stands idly by and turns a blind eye to the abuses of their brethren is as bad as the one performing the abuses.

Excellent words!

You definitely get a gold star!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
This is going to continue.

There are two problems at work here, and I don't see any movement to resolve either. One is the attitude change I have personally seen in my lifetime by law enforcement. Where as once the police were there to maintain peace and order, too many of them now arrive with a need to 'control' the situation. And control it they do, by any manner they deem fit, regardless of whether or not absolute control is necessary in that particular case.

There is another side to this: law enforcement today are more familiar with overly violent individuals that they once were. Crime has increased, and the criminals seem to become more violent every day. However, the cops in question chose this occupation, and I have trouble affording them any sympathy for this gross over-reaction to a loss of 'control'.

It is my firm conviction that with increased authority comes increased responsibility. One cannot exist without the other. A police officer carries the weight of the law with him; he can make forced arrests, and has the authority to act as a temporary de facto judge and jury while enforcing the laws. He is even allowed to violate certain laws (traffic laws, for instance) while in the performance of his duty. This is necessary for him to perform his duties. But with that authority comes the increased responsibility of being knowledgeable about the law and understanding the effect that his presence will have on otherwise law-abiding citizens.

Anyone faced with a forceful authority figure will come to feel threatened personally at some point. Had this woman been suspect in a crime, that forceful authority might have been warranted. However, this was the caller, the complainant, not the suspect. The full name of her friend was not a critical piece of information by any reasonable stretch of the imagination, and certainly withholding that non-critical information gave the officers no right to try and retain her by force. There was no reasonable indication that she was guilty of any crime, and evidence that she was in fact not guilty of any crime. Thus, the officers, by attempting to handcuff her, acted irresponsibly. I can personally remember a time when the officers' first response would have been to console and reassure this woman, not to attempt to 'control the situation' at her peril.

The second problem is the use of the taser. A taser is no toy. It shoots a 50kV pulse of electricity through the human body, effectively jamming nervous system impulses and rendering muscles useless. As it does so, the involuntarily incited tensing of those muscles create cramps along with the electrical shock itself, causing severe pain and injury or death in the young, ill, or elderly. Remember the human heart is a muscle... a vital muscle. Also remember that electricity has been used for torture of prisoners in wartime.

This was not during wartime; she was not a prisoner.

The taser is a deadly weapon when used on the right person.

The real problem is that most police officers are 'trained' that this is not so and that the taser is harmless. Thus, since they are deemed 'non-lethal', they become an easy way to 'control the situation' and are used much more than necessary. The use of tasers by police officers should be stopped immediately for both the good of the citizenry and for the safety of the officers (loved ones seeing such a display might have indeed been tempted to use a deadly weapon to protect the victim). They should only be used by officers who have received full and proper training in their effects and if used should be automatically investigated just as when a firearm is used.

Only then can the dangers of this practice be minimized.

As for these two 'officers', upon conviction both should be immediately denied any further employment in any aw-enforcement or security setting, and both should be convicted of assault with a deadly weapon. Any civil settlement awarded this victim by the courts should first come out of the personal property of these two men before the municipality which employed them has to pay. Yes, that will ruin them for life. It will also serve as an example to others that one cannot run around arresting and tasering people without reasonable cause because of a badge.

I wish no ill will toward any police officers in this post; they do a hard job, and they usually do it well. The vast majority deserve our respect and admiration. But when thugs like this are allowed to continue their power trip armed with a badge, gun, and uniform, it reflects negatively on all police officers and places all police officers in further peril from distrustful citizens, as well as making law enforcement itself much harder to perform.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter

Originally posted by Mr. Tinkertrain
For all you know she was waving a butcher knife before he arrived.

There were eyewitnesses. The cops got fired.

Need I say any more? Or are we still going to side with the police no matter what?

Yes, where is the official report of this actually happening? I didn't see a link to a new story or official police statement. Was there one?

This video could be of a naked crack addict or a woman in a bunny suit carrying a machine gun being tazed. You do not see or even know the circumstances. The video leaves a lot to imagination.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Who the Hell are you? And where have you been all my life?

Great post and I think it's the first time I have ever seen a Mod say anything like this ever! Sweet!

All my warnings that I have received from you have been forgiven...

Ah Rednecks, Americas last hope.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Ah yes, another cop bashing video, where we don't get to see anything that the "victim" has said or done prior to being tased or arrested.

Really guy? even if she was armed with say something like a knife? and didi come at the cop, and thats taking this situation to an extreme. Dont you think it could have been handled a little more proffesional. Besides one of these D bags already got himself fired over this, do you really think the cops have just this video, and audio? Ya there is a lot more to it, youre right about that. But the more to it is probably the video or audio that put that cop in the position to get fired. Its a 57 year old lady for crying out loud, against a cop, who could have just as easily physically subdued her, maybe with a little pain compliance if need be, but even that I highly doubt. Have you ever served? or know what its like to do this kind of work? Sorry pal, but proffesionalism comes first with this stuff. and these guys did not have what it took. Quit stickin up for the bad guy when you know they are blatantly wrong, it makes you not look so friendly.....

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
just to clarify, what I meant by pain compliance is the use of physical apprehension, and restraint techniques, not to include a defensive tool such as pepper spray, or tasers.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Making a mistake at work is one thing, making a mistake where you have the ability to kill someone is another. And since they are in a position of immense responsibility their actions should be held to a higher standard of scrutiny than say some office guy making a mistake by filing something in the wrong place.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by boomadatigger]

[edit on 16-7-2010 by boomadatigger]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by arcnaver

There is a link to the news story. Go back and look. She is a 57 year old teacher, who called the cops to come to her house because she thought she heard a burgler. She also called a friend to come over, because the cops were a long ways off. When the cops got there, she had her friend leave. After he left, the cop asked her for his full name. She said she wasnt going to give him her friends full name, and thats when the party started.

I also found a post that has even more info from the officers report, and some comments by the Sheriff that showed up.

www.popehat.com...

“’You don’t need to know that,’” Murphy wrote in his report was Wells’ response. “I told her that she would need to give me the information that I needed or she would be arrested for obstruction. I explained that state law mandates that we investigate to determine if there has been any family violence.”

Now I’m not a Georgia lawyer, but neither is Murphy. And I suspect this is a case in which a police officer is just making # up as he goes along. It’s hard to imagine Georgia law would support a charge of obstruction of justice against the victim of a suspected crime, for refusing to divulge the suspect’s name. A suspicion that, by the way, was completely off base. Wells had called to report a possible burglary, and the man whose name Murphy sought was a family friend who agreed to wait with Wells for police to arrive, then was told by Murphy to get lost.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
What kinda irks me the most about these stories, is the fact that police are trained to restrain individuals without the need for the tazer. It's a bit ridiculous that people that are supposedly highly trained persons, have such a hard time doing their jobs. I believe that tazers have made some in the police lazy, pure and simple. It is far easier to taze someone, than to have to physically restrain them. With all the out-of-shape police I have seen, in real life and in the media, I am not one bit surprised by the increase in these tazing events. I look at some cops and think: "Man, some of these dudes need to go to fat camp." I watched this one policeman on Cops take down a dude using one arm, in like 2 seconds. I was like, WOW... Go cop! He took the perp down with efficiency, and no one got hurt. If I knew that particular policeman's name, I would say that he should be training these 'taze first' fellas, and show them what it means to be a real cop. Because it shouldn't even be an issue. THIS is what they are trained for. Anything else is just and excuse for laziness.

Chrono

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Like I have said before, If I didn't have a girlfriend I would go steady with these cops.Any cop that is shivering in his pants and can't control a almost 60 yr. old woman is bound to be a BIG Pu$$y and it's bound to be good since they just interact with old helpless people......i gotta go now. These Hero cops have me getting horney......

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Ah yes, another cop bashing video, where we don't get to see anything that the "victim" has said or done prior to being tased or arrested.

56 year old woman. Do you need anymore information? She's the one who called for help. I think a tazering might not be the best way to show that you're there to protect and serve.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by PsychoX42]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
This is a classic example of shoot first and and ask questions later. If these police cannot handle 57 year old woman without using their 50,000 watt toys, then they should not be policemen.

This video shows an outrageous abuse of power. I applaud the firing of the cops and I would like to see criminal charges brought against them too.

These "policemen" are pathetic.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
anyone else beginning to understand why raoul moat declared war on the british police?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join