It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Use Taser on 911 Caller

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

If you have the same regard for the public you do for the police I feel sorry for those you deal with.

Tripe is just that and if that post had had anything else Muslim, Christian, Jew, black, white, asian, or what ever else it would be seen for what it really was.

Raist

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I'll agree that my post was over the top. I should have (and ment) to say that I feel no remorse when cops like this get shot. My mistake by saying all cops. Now I know more of where you are comming from. In my hast to post I didn't take the time to proofread what I actually said.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
A few questions:

--Why didn't she give the name to the officers? Not doing so is an obstruction of the officers' investigation.
(What may not be pertinent to her may be to the cops but it's not her call to say so.)

--Why did she run when she was getting cuffed? WHY?? She may have been scared, confused or what ever but any reasonable minded individual would know NEVER run from the cops especially when you're getting cuffs on you! Right or wrong, you WILL have your day in court but NEVER run...

All in all, this incident is another example of why I personally dislike Tasers, especially the prod function, as a use of force option. I don't understand why the hand to hand maneuvers, which hours of Defensive Tactics training are devoted to, are overlooked for the use of a weapon that isn't an academy trained use of force technique (depending by state) which is lacking in the same standards of training.

Unless you're dealing with an individual who you wouldn't touch with a 10 foot poll (dirty people, drug addicts, you know who I'm talking about) then there's no reason when the suspect becomes combative not to use your academy trained use of force techniques. It'll save you in court and in the public eye.

I do believe that if Tasers are going to be issued as a use of force option, EACH and every state needs to include its training in their Defensive Tactics classes, regardless if certain LEAs don't issue them.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
from the link above this THIS is what makes it wrong that cop allready has another job
Lumpkin Police Chief Steven Ogle, was shocked when he saw the video. "I couldn't believe it," Ogle said. "You don't use it (a stun gun) for punitive reasons, to prod someone."

Smith, who quit eight days after the incident, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution he was not remorseful.

"I did what I had to do to take control of the situation," Smith said.

Smith now works for the Chattahoochee County Sheriff's office.

A phone listing for Murphy could not be found by The Associated Press.

"All of it's just unreal to me. I was scared to death," Wells said in an interview with the newspaper. "He kept tasing me and tasing me. My fingernails are still burned. My leg, back and my butt had a long scar on it for days."

Read more: RN-T.com - 2 rural Ga officers out after stun gun video surfaces

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

At least now, we are on the same page.

These cops deserve whatever punishment life deals them. I have no problem with them being punished (not calling for blood for anyone), they deserve punishment. They deserve the most punishment that can be given to them by the law and life will take care of the rest. It might take some time but they will get what is coming to them. Cops like this dole out a bad name for all those who wear the badge.

I am sorry if I offended you with my postings, I simply am troubled when one group is lumped with a person. I offer peace.

Raist

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

hey..the police demand control...no matter how innocent or vunerable you are...if you don't follow everything they say..no matter if it's against the law, or ethically wrong, you will be punished. month after month, year after year, for decades now, i have seen and heard the same thing. when are civilians going to realize there are some policeman that just like to beat the crap out of people...if you do exactly what they say, 99% of the time they won't hurt you...but say the wrong thing, and your going to get punished, no matter if your a small kid, an old woman, disabled, mentally retarded or simply passive. obey or get brutalized...your choice.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
just emailed his new bosses to ask them why on earth they would hire such a monster and asked them if they were aware of it i dobut anything will come of it but atleast they have been informed theres the contact info if anyone else wants to send them an email or too
Sheriff Glynn Cooper
Chief Deputy: Ron Hoard

Chattahoochee County Courthouse
379 Broad Street
Cusseta, GA 31805

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 144
Cusseta, GA 31805

Phone: (706) 989-3644
Fax: (706) 989-0396
Email: sheriff@ugoccc.us

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
I am sorry if I offended you with my postings, I simply am troubled when one group is lumped with a person. I offer peace.

I am also sorry if my words were too strong and I offended. I need to proofread before I hit reply.

Although, I agree with you. I don't want anyone hurt. I just can't feel remorse anymore when the bad ones get what they deserve.

Peace accepted. And I offer my hand in peace also.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I take issue rash generalizations as well. Unfortunately, all cops are going to be lumped together with the "bad apples" for as long as the "good apples" keep sticking up for their nefarious brethren.

When you're a cop, whether you're a good one or a bad one, silence is the status quo when a fellow officer does something wrong. Not doing anything when your brothers in arms start making up their own laws, is just as bad as tazing granny yourself.

"I did what I needed to do to gain control of the situation..."

This is a common rebuttal to accusations of excessive force where tasers are concerned. This leads me to wonder, how did cops do their jobs before they all had tasers? Are we to believe, that if this cop didn't have a taser he would have shot this woman instead?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I am not going to say all cops are good or bad. What I will say is this: People are conditioned to fear police; police are conditioned to fear people. When anyone that is afraid is cornered they fight back, if only for the reason that they are afraid. When someone corners something they are afraid of they naturally try to subdue it. Cops corner; suspects are cornered.

The entire police/citizen relationship needs an overhaul. It doesn't help that police get paramilitary training either. They also need better tazer training. They think because its non-lethal its a toy.

[edit on 7/15/2010 by dbloch7986]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

the cops were in her home, if they don't like the way she was acting or what she was saying, they can leave. have i nice day mam, call us if you need us. that was the proper response when you are in someones house, not tasering them multiple times.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

At least the woman in your story did not get Tasered.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

The sheriff should've arrested both of the city thugs right there on the spot. The victim was ordered to get in the car.
Instead of demanding orders and barking commands, a little level-headed, calm conversation could've probably resolved this whole damn thing.
If two grown men cannot calm down and at the most subdue a near senior citizen mature woman without breaking down the situation into a testosterone driven torture fest...it's no damn wonder people fear calling the cops.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Just guessing here so if someone with more information knows the facts let me know. Why do I have the feeling that the two police were white and the 911 caller along with the Sheriff were black? Just asking.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by PresumedInnocent]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

if you don't follow everything they say..no matter if it's against the law, or ethically wrong, you will be punished.

Actually, we're not required to follow unlawful orders given by law enforcement officers. But if we exercise this right, get ready to duck. And then be prepeared to be railroaded through and by the court system at the hands of your public "defender" et al..

[edit on 7/15/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
One of the officers involved has been fired, and the other suspended without pay until further notice.

When something like this happens, you step up and try to take care of it. That's all you can do when someone who works for you behaves in such an irresponsible manner. Better it never happened.

It speaks well for this LE office that they are acting swiftly, and have taken the two men out of the force. Looks like they are really trying to correct the problem, and that's all they can do at this point.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

They're acting swiftly cuz they know they're about to get their butt sued bigtime.
I'd like to think otherwise, but am confident that's what's going on.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by PresumedInnocent

You are correct on both counts. I read yesterday about this situation, both the woman who was tasered and the sheriff are black. Both arresting officers were white. This is rural west Georgia, not saying this was racially motivated, however, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
One of the officers involved has been fired, and the other suspended without pay until further notice.

Not entirely true. The officers were from two different departments. One was fired (the one who pepper-sprayed the caller), the other (Mr. Taser) resigned a week after the incident. Mr. Taser, has since found a new home at another counties Sheriff's Department.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Well thank goodness the officers are not there any longer.

I dont believe in playing the race card, but you know what that whole situation said to me? (A white person) It said, "old racist southern cop pissed off that an uppity black person did not respond the way he felt they should and so took advantage of his position of power." Thats exactly what it looked and sounded like to me.

I hope she does sue, and not just the county, but the officers personally. Charges should be filed against them for assault. That was just uncalled for.

And to those who are all, "we dont know what happened before the dash cam" yes we do, both the victim and the officers admit that her "crime" was not giving the full name of the person who was with her. There doesnt seem to be any real dispute on that fact.

That was a damn shame. It doesnt mean ALL cops are bad, and I would certainly not say that. I have met nice cops. But THOSE cops are bad, and what they did is indefensible.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join