It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

England or ABE (anyone but England)?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
This ABE stuff is mostly a Scottish thing, really most of it is patriotic banter. However it really annoys me when that turns into racism. Fair enough we never get a rest from hearing about 1966 when England are in the World Cup and yes it is very annoying. But for a footie crazy nation like England its something to be proud of and i suppose in a way they are right, none of the other home nations qualified so we should expect the commentators to talk about England allot. In saying that i still don’t really want them to win, as a British nation i would like to see them go far, but i couldn’t handle them wining. They would never shut up about it.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3vilscript

Scots??? The Irish you mean?

You're right.

And I've now banned his nibs from dictating this footie nonsense to me and told him to hang his head in shame for getting that wrong.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Is it really necessary for English media to refer to Germans as Hun ?

Personally I don't think that is acceptable nowadays.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

"English" media?

Who called the Germans huns? That's a very WW1 propoganda term. Let me guess, The Sun?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by bigyin

"English" media?

Who called the Germans huns? That's a very WW1 propoganda term. Let me guess, The Sun?

I just heard it on Sky News, they were doing their newspaper front page review, I didn't catch which paper it was, but it really doesn't matter. I find it very hypocritical of England. They complain when Scots or Irish don't support them, calling us racist. And then they start calling Germans Huns, which is actually a very derogartory term and equates to calling them barbarians. I think it's offensive and quite unnecessary.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by bigyin]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Erm...

So let me get this right, because one unnamed newspaper carried such a headline (apparently) then all English are hypocritical and being racist? That's a huge leap of logic there, chap.

I don't recall ever condoning such behaviour myself and I am pretty sure many, many others will say the same.

EDIT: It's the same as me picking up a piece of paper in the street in Edinburgh that said "All black people suck" and assuming ALL Scottish people feel the same way.

[edit on 23/6/10 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
reply to post by Kram09

English have murdered countless of the home countries nations peoples.

Do you not think that has something to do with it?

I suggest you have a good read up on real history. Just look at the history of Carlisle where the Scots were in charge of the city.
Yes in centuries gone the English had killed people of the home countries but if you honestly think that the people of Scotland Wales and Ireland never ever killed an Englishman then you are a truly ignorant.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I'm glad to hear it.

I meant to refer to English media, not English people.

My wife is a souser so i don't have any problems with English people, but your media is painful.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Just checked on Sky News web site and it's The Daily Star thats running the headline.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin

reply to post by bigyin

"English" media?

I just heard it on Sky News, they were doing their newspaper front page review, I didn't catch which paper it was, but it really doesn't matter. I find it very hypocritical of England. They complain when Scots or Irish don't support them, calling us racist. And then they start calling Germans Huns, which is actually a very derogartory term and equates to calling them barbarians. I think it's offensive and quite unnecessary.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by bigyin]

Please refrain calling England Hypocritical because of some tabloid idiot reporter.
We're not all the bad honest

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Couldnt give a toss if they win or not simply because we would never hear the end of it. If their whole ethos were to change then I could too and support the english supporters I know....it will never happen.

Same thing with the 'English Defence' thing, I wholy support their cause and can see the problems, I even agree with them on the 'lothian question' a crazy situation. But when it starts getting a bit too 'In-ger-land' then It just gets into jingoistic ranting.
But on that subject there isnt any ABE, there is only England and Im 100% behind them on it and my own politics are laid aside till a greater problem is dealt with. Thats saying something for a wee died in the wool nationalist like me, we can always come back to separation another time, theres far greater dragons need slaying!

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit! and my english neighbour of course!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

You're a very "them and us" type, aren't you? "Our" Media? You have the same crappy media we do, just with the word Scottish tacked on the front. Don't make out like Scottish media is somehow better or well behaved as we know that not to be true.

Whatever paper made this comment was probably a red-top full of pics of boobs and crappy stories about how awful Katie Prices new hair do is. Proper low-brow rubbish for those whom are "intellectually" challenged. You get these types everywhere, even in Scotland and the media caters to it.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

There you go, christ....

Daily friggin Star.....

Must mean all English are bad because the Star said it! It's not the same angelic, whiter than white paper sold North of the border, is it?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
oooooooooooohhhhh ... it's gone very quiet in here.

Question for all Energerland fans ....

who are you supporting now ?

and ... who should Scots support now that your out ?

That today was THE BEST game I've seen for a long time, thank you so much to all involved.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

I am supporitng Ghana now. In true English style, I will back the underdogs!

But, we can take something from this World Cup, we got further than France or Italy and at least we qualified, unlike Scotland

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   

reply to post by bigyin

I am supporitng Ghana now. In true English style, I will back the underdogs!

But, we can take something from this World Cup, we got further than France or Italy and at least we qualified, unlike Scotland

I'm sorry I can't speak right now, my sides are splitting. I just can't stop laughing at the pathetic exuses I keep hearing about why they got gubbed.

England are rubbish ..... simpeeeles

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Anyone but Germany or Argentina.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by bigyin

Anyone but Germany or Argentina.

I have to say I'm loving Argentina at the moment, Maradonna is a legend and they are playing the best football in the tournament.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I support good football.

I hate cheats and I hate bad referees.

So whoever is playing the best football I want to win.

What can be done about the refs tho, they are bad for the game.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
I found this funny but informative article on a BBC site yesterday. It attempts to explain why some folk in the UK will not be supporting England in this year's World Cup. They instead will be supporting ABE (anyone but England).

news.bbc.co.uk...

I'm not a footie fan myself but I live with them, and with the start of this tournament I know over the next few weeks I'll have to suffer some extremely loud shouting, swearing and cheering that comes with it. Sometimes the yelling is so sudden I'm lifted out of my seat with fright and probably the neighbours will be too and I know this will be happening up and down the country. Definitely up and down my street anyway.

His nibs and my sons are diehard Celtic fans normally, and will be supporting anyone but England. Their reasons, as mentioned amongst others in the article is that they're sick of hearing England so pumped up in the press.

"It's the press that does it. That and the effing commentators" he tells me, "they bum up their effing team like there's no other," and "it's always someone else's fault they've not won it." and "to have the effing AUDACITY to show it on STV(scottish television) they're asking for it." I've missed out many swear words quoting him here.

So for fun and because "it's just a game," which team are you supporting in the World Cup this year? Anyone specific, or like the males in my family - ABE?

ps He told me to add "mon the Yanks"

[edit on 12-6-2010 by wigit]

Oh how very true! I am sick sick sick and when I'm not sick, I'm tired, sick and tired of it all.

I despise football, and to be honest if I had to support anyone it'd be the USA. hands down.

I walk down the street minding my own business and cars come speeding past with fog horns and flags hanging out the windows scaring the minerals out of everyone.

England suck ok, they always have, 1966 was a fluke, and Germany kicked their a$$es last night and rightly so.

This morning there were only 1 or 2 flags still hanging up on houses, the pubs were empty and all was quiet, funny how the British people are only patriotic when England play in the world cup, not realizing England is not England anyone and hasn't been for a very long time, it's now the United Kingdom.

Once football is over on the TV, people couldn't care less about their country.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join