It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

England or ABE (anyone but England)?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The sad thing is that if England had not qualified and (I know I'm stretching the realms of believability a bit here, lol), but Scotland did, the majority of English would want Scotland to win!
The same if it was Wales and Northern Ireland....and probably even The Republic of Ireland.

And they would be equally as insufferable if they won.
They would ridicule and take piss constantly out of The English.

Unfotunately most other Brits do not offer the English the same respect etc that they demand for themselves!

Oh, and imagine the responses if I bragged and joked about Irish people walking round England wearing Irish football tops and getting beat up?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Oh, and I just thought I'd like to point out that even though I am a very proud Englishman I also support CELTIC and go to Parkhead quite frequently and have enjoyed many a bit of craic and mutual piss taking during some very heavy drinking sessions and have never, ever had any animosity directed at me.

Strange eh!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
It has been reported in the media here that anyone from Scotland who does not support England could be considered a racist

Thats how desperate they are to get us to root for them.

No I'll be one of the ABE club.

Anyway they have a right cheek to ask us to support a team that is so rubbish. If they were any good I might get behind them but they are embarrassing.

Ah What media reported this as being labeled raciest if you did not support England ??? lets fact it that is just ignorance in it's vilest form.

Support ABE but are you buying the shirts to make someone rich upon an ideal that you dislike England or the fact that Scotland are not at the finals ? Or are you just annoyed at the other indulgent media coverage of England ? I am.

Yes I agree that the last 2 England matches have been well short of any quality by alleged quality players. The performances are embarrassing but ask yourself, Where are Scotland and where have their performances got them recently ?
I'm not here for an argument friend

Oh and yes If Scotland were there I would genuinely want them to do well.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by colec156]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
English World Cup song

if you sing this along with the music of "3 lions" (for the americans, it's a really poor song and is on youtube)

They're coming home
They're coming home
They're coming
Englands coming home (x4)

Everyone all knows the score
They've seen it all before
They just know
Thev're just seen that England's just
Thrown it away again
They have blown it!

But I know they can play Cos' I remember
seeing them on TV
Jules Rimet still giggling 30 Years of laughter hurt
Never stoppped me laughin

Wee Mad Mental

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by colec156

Scotland is not in the world up due to english sabotage, they opened the bar!!

Wee Mad Mental

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by weemadmental

You been on the bucky mate?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Thats because it's just a wind up mate ... there is no malice intended.

It's just that English media don't seem to be able to take a joke ... how sad.

No worries though.

As for Scotlands performance ... it's utter crap. Thing is we know it and accept it. We don't go building ourselves up as super heroes just to get knocked down.

According to English media, England are gonna win next time .... only they've been saying that since 1966 ... ( oh feck I mentioned 66
) ... thats 44 years they been saying they are just about to take over the world.

Get over it... it's not going to happen.

I was listening to an English comentator the other day ... a woman I think, who I reckoned got it right. She said that The Englsh premier league is the best league there is. The trouble is most of the good players are foreign. This gives the Englsh players a false sense of superiority. Take them out of their clubs and put them together and they are not that good on their own.

If Ireland, Northern Ireland or Wales was in the mix I would be right behind them ... I'm really annoyed about France getting through with the hand ball incident ... France are poor and NI could have been there and given us something to cheer about.

Edit to say some of my post should have been directed to colec156

[edit on 22-6-2010 by bigyin]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
The sad thing is that if England had not qualified and (I know I'm stretching the realms of believability a bit here, lol), but Scotland did, the majority of English would want Scotland to win!
The same if it was Wales and Northern Ireland....and probably even The Republic of Ireland.

And they would be equally as insufferable if they won.
They would ridicule and take piss constantly out of The English.

Unfotunately most other Brits do not offer the English the same respect etc that they demand for themselves!

Oh, and imagine the responses if I bragged and joked about Irish people walking round England wearing Irish football tops and getting beat up?

How was I bragging? I feel bad for him, and I hate the little hooligans who would give him hassle for wearing his countrys shirt, they dont represent everyone.

Also, I would rather England win the world cup than France ( i know they are out )

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

I know it's only a joke mate and I assure you I took it that way.

Nothing more I like than a bit of friendly banter between us.

Our media are a disgrace, it's not just football...they build things / people up just to knock them down.

I fear for Scottish football.
Look at all the good English sides of yesteryear, they all had a Scottish contingent.
Now?

In the unlikely event we are ever forced to field a UK team, how many Scots would even get in the squad?
Not many, even though a lot of the English players aren't as good as they themselves believe them to be.
We have quite a few mediocre players in our squad.
But I can't think of one Scotsman who would get into a UK starting eleven at present.

Look at Celtic and Rangers, both have very mediocre foreigners playing in their sides.
Hell, even the likes of Hamilton Accies, no disrespect, field foreigners.
It's crazy.
It's not right and it's not good for the game.

I don't know what the answer is though.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Maybe I took it the wrong way.

It's just I see people walk around in England with Scottish tops, Welsh tops, Northern Irish tops and even Republic tops, and no-one ever bats an eyelid.

It should be the same everywhere in the UK.

That's not to say we shouldn't take the mickey out of each other and have a bit of craic about things!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The English national football team suck. Is anyone surprised?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by rizla

But that's not really the point!

We just want them to try and to look as if they have a bit of passion and pride!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Yea well last year Rangers and Celtic tried to join the Premier League and got refused. I thought that was a shame cos like you say unless your playing with the big boys your never gonna get any better.

God knows what these foreigners think when they get here and start playing all these diddy teams we have here. No wonder they don't stay around very long.

Personally I'm a Rangers fan but it was good to see Samaras playing well tonight for Greece, unfortunatly they went out.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I agree

I also find it quite hypocritical when people slag off the England football team yet support say Liverpool or Man Utd or any of the premiership teams that has some of the same England players. There is lots of people here rooting for England to win because some of their favourite players are on the squad. Not everyone is as narrowminded as the wee hooligans

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

It is a shame they didn't let them in, but if they ever do then UEFA and FIFA will push for a UK representative team, I don't think that would suit a lot of people. Which is strange when we have Cardiff and Swansea in our league, never quite understood that.
But you are definately right about that.
And could you imagine the likes of Fulham or Wigan trying to cope with the 'mad hordes', lol.

As I said earlier I'm a bit of a Celtic fan and usually get to see them half a dozen or so times a year.

I'm also going there to see Cock SParrer, supported by my mates Major Accident, at the O2 in October.
That could be interesting to say the least!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Indeed. In 1994 not one of the Home Nations qualified so I rooted for the Republic of Ireland.

I don't understand the (mainly Scottish) hatred of England. I wished Scotland would have qualified myself, but it seems like a bit of jealousy from the Scottish side that they didn't and England did.

I hear lots of complaints about how the media have hyped up England and its plastered all over, but surely that would have been the same had Scotland qualified? Or is it only ok to show some pride and support for one team and not the other?

Seems hypocritical to me, as it always is

England pride= Bad

Scottish pride = Good

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

It got rejected because it wouldn't be fair to other teams who have to go through the normal process of qualifying for the Premier League. Nothing against the Scots, but what about the Championship and lower league clubs who have to go through years of slog to reach the top flight.

What I'd like to see is maybe a UK super league, like the Champions league. Have the top clubs from England, Scotland and maybe even Ireland battle it out in a tournament.

Back in the day, there used to be a Home nations tournament between the 4 national teams. That would be good to revive.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

There is not a hatred of England per say in Scotland, we leave that to Mr Salmond
, its more general annoyance at the media at present, The Scots are some of the friendliest people you can meet, don't take it that people in Edinburgh are representative of the whole Scottish nation, go further north ( we are lovely in Dundee ) but the further north you get the friendlier we get.

Wee Mad Mental

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Forgive my ignorance, but what flag is that? I want to say serbia...

If so, I'd cheer for them! After all, they beat Ze Germans!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join