It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

England or ABE (anyone but England)?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I found this funny but informative article on a BBC site yesterday. It attempts to explain why some folk in the UK will not be supporting England in this year's World Cup. They instead will be supporting ABE (anyone but England).

news.bbc.co.uk...

I'm not a footie fan myself but I live with them, and with the start of this tournament I know over the next few weeks I'll have to suffer some extremely loud shouting, swearing and cheering that comes with it. Sometimes the yelling is so sudden I'm lifted out of my seat with fright and probably the neighbours will be too and I know this will be happening up and down the country. Definitely up and down my street anyway.

His nibs and my sons are diehard Celtic fans normally, and will be supporting anyone but England. Their reasons, as mentioned amongst others in the article is that they're sick of hearing England so pumped up in the press.

"It's the press that does it. That and the effing commentators" he tells me, "they bum up their effing team like there's no other," and "it's always someone else's fault they've not won it." and "to have the effing AUDACITY to show it on STV(scottish television) they're asking for it." I've missed out many swear words quoting him here.

So for fun and because "it's just a game," which team are you supporting in the World Cup this year? Anyone specific, or like the males in my family - ABE?

ps He told me to add "mon the Yanks"

[edit on 12-6-2010 by wigit]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
the media dont do the england football team any favours the way they act about them like they are the only team in briton and lets not forget 1966 even if we could we would not be aloud to. me my self bee ing a proud scot am already sick of the media hype, but still i will probably give them my support i think they have some great players and they could do well if the media stays of there back

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
I found this funny but informative article on a BBC site yesterday. It attempts to explain why some folk in the UK will not be supporting England in this year's World Cup. They instead will be supporting ABE (anyone but England).

There are four individual countries under the UK banner, these are SCOTLAND, England, Ireland and Wales, please do not label people from the UK as all being English, as we are NOT, the problem that we the rest of the Uk have with England is the crap on TV, product placements and other gimmicks that are of the hype that England has won the world cup already, and that 1966 was the glory years, so this is why we'll support ABE, or anyone but England !!!

Wee Mad Mental

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

I'm a foreigner to your shores.

But wouldn't it be true to say that Celtic FC fans have little or no loyalty to either the English or the Scottish national soccer teams ? That their loyalties are perhaps rather more ... Hibernian ? Wouldn't that account for all the Irish tricolours to be seen at the Celtic FC stadium (Parkhead) ... with few if any Scottish flags on display ?

My Scottish friends seem mixed on the subject of England's chances. Some wish England well, some are ambivalent ... only one so far has expressed unconditional support for A.B.E. ! But all are unanimous that the London biased media coverage, the advertising content (all these red and white "special offers") are what are driving them to tearful distraction ... not the England team !

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by weemadmental

please do not label people from the UK as all being English, as we are NOT,

Wee Mad Mental

Haha, was that directed at me or for England?

Scotland, Ireland and Wales are out so I'd have thought folk would automatically start rooting for their nearest neighbour. But it seems no in an awful lot of cases. I'm a total ignoramus when it comes to football but I do find all this funny. And I know it's a SERIOUS subject.

His nibs agrees it's the media, the bragging, and all the red and white hype that drives him to support ABE. And don't even mention 1966 to him.
He would support Scotland of course but that's 'cos we're Scots.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Come on England.
Come on England.
Come on England.
Nuff said.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d5c372a76b3c.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
come on england...

am a proud scot...but the world's full of enough conflict without me adding to it!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I dont care who wins aslong as its not France! flipping Theirry Henry an his effing handball goal that put Ireland out of qualifying

I'll support the first team to beat France

I know what you mean tho about England, they still hark on about 1966 an we will never hear the end of it over here if they win,

Its mainly the protestants here that will be supporting England in the worldcup, a good friend/housemate of mine is from England but sadly for him because of the area we live in i really doubt he could walk around with an england jersey on to show his support, he would get his head kicked in.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Here we go. There's a match on now and there's shouting already.

Never mind. I have new headphones and my old wow subscription.

This is the flag I'll be flying till this lot is over.

FOR THE HORDE!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d1f5fc99c9af.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Netherlands. Because there is no chance of it and i will be able to enjoy finals without need to waste nerve cells.

As for anyone but X - what is the point in this? I do not get it. Person can support his team, but i see no logic in un-supporting.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Bring on the Argies !!!,

Second line

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
As an Englishman, I'm looking forward to tomorrows game as if it were an important test result from the doctor.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by weemadmental
There are four individual countries under the UK banner, these are SCOTLAND, England, Ireland and Wales, please do not label people from the UK as all being English, as we are NOT,

Eh, beg your pardon? Ireland's not in the UK, a bit of it is!! The bit near Scotland

Ireland's not in the world cup either for that matter. I'd support england only it'd make them twice as annoying in four years time.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I still feel something of a duty to atleast follow Englands progress in the World Cup, I've distanced myself from football these past few years though - I just can't be arsed with the mandatory hype period and consequently, the enormous let-down.

Now I just watch the games where I'm likely to see good football.

This post reminded me of this recent video of Wayne Rooney letting his emotions get the better of him after England got booed off the pitch following their abysmal draw with Algeria.

I do feel for the players, English supporters seem to be highly critical of their footballers - more so than most other nations (barring Italy, Columbia and a few others...). It must be a massive weight on their shoulders knowing that one mistake could result in a complete professional deconstruction the next day, courtesy of our nations tabloid newspapers. Coming from a lower-class footballing family I have a pretty good idea of how much abuse they'd probably suffer on the street following a bad performance too.

Having said that, they get a ridiculous amount of money playing for their clubs (where ultimately they are propped up by many of the very same fans cheering them on in an England jersey) and so I think the boos, although in poor taste, are completely justified.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The french definetly ____________________________ Oh Wait!?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I'm an Englishman and a proud one at that.

I too have had enough of the big media fed drivel about 1966, and How we can do it again and Especially the SUN newspaper on how EASY our group was or was ment to be. The Media build up this hype to push sales and maximise profit and thats all.

I can understand the ABE campaign because if England were to win the world cup the media would go mad and knowing the Sun Newspaper it would all be down to them in the advice to Fabio Capello.

I want England to win it but I want them to win it with a little dignity, pride and realism and not We are Arrogant and we will beat anyone attitude cos when we fail we look stupid.

I do however feel that some of the reason of ABE is the fact that it's a distraction on how bad qualifying for major tournaments other home nations have been and ABE is profiteering on some people's ignorance.
Example, You don't like England then buy a ABE t shirt for £8 just google ABE t shirts.

I really wish all home nations could forget about all the centuries of war and conflict and just get on with life, Yes England had violence towards the scots etc, but this was a two sided coin that many ignorant people seem to forget under the banner of national pride.

I wish the media would not be so arrogant on our chances and be more humble. Then again I wish for a peaceful world but to realise this dream humanity would have to be no more.

Peace to all and I would love to see at the next euro championships all home nations there.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dookzor
I do feel for the players, English supporters seem to be highly critical of their footballers - more so than most other nations (barring Italy, Columbia and a few others...). It must be a massive weight on their shoulders knowing that one mistake could result in a complete professional deconstruction the next day, courtesy of our nations tabloid newspapers. Coming from a lower-class footballing family I have a pretty good idea of how much abuse they'd probably suffer on the street following a bad performance too.

Having said that, they get a ridiculous amount of money playing for their clubs (where ultimately they are propped up by many of the very same fans cheering them on in an England jersey) and so I think the boos, although in poor taste, are completely justified.

The press are a bunch of self serving hypocrites who if we won the world cup will no doubt praise themselves in some way.

The player's don't help themselves either, they earn such an amount and then show up and play like they are in a training match. Rooney after his rant should be embarressed but as much as a great footballer he is, he is probably far to arrogant and ignorant to believe otherwise.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
England to win 4-0 get your money on

second line

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It has been reported in the media here that anyone from Scotland who does not support England could be considered a racist

Thats how desperate they are to get us to root for them.

No I'll be one of the ABE club.

Anyway they have a right cheek to ask us to support a team that is so rubbish. If they were any good I might get behind them but they are embarrassing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join