It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S. Korea to convene emergency meeting of top military generals

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
Interesting article from a month ago. South Korean officials said that it could have been a mine, either one planted lately or an old one from the war. Also admitted there has never been a case of the North torpedoing (is that a word?) a boat from the South. So why would the North do it now? And why sink only 1? I smell BS.
www.csmonitor.com...

The same reason why castro, another Communist dictator, sent fighter jets to shoot down two planes of "Hermanos al Rescate" (Brothers to the Rescue) over international waters, although they did fly over Cuban waters too to help Cubans escape, when what these people do is patrol international waters to help Cubans who are escaping the Communist dictatorship.... The Cuban fighter planes destroyed the small planes of hermanos al rescate killing four Cuban-Americans...

[edit on 20-5-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Smell like the Gulf of Tonkin Incident.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I am not sure if this point has been made yet, (I didn't read all 8 pages...sorry) but assuming North Korea did torpedo that ship, shouldn't the consensus be so what?
Yeah that's right, so what? Isn't that the politically correct way to handle acts of war against a soveirgn nation in this day and age? I predidct if North Korea we able to nuke LA, CA then all our federal government would do is invoke new sanctions with the approval of the almighty UN of course. After all when the USS Cole was attacked, an undeniable act of war against the USA what did our wonderful US government do? Jack Squat in the grand scheme of things. Shouldn't South Korea react in a similiar fashion, after all we here in the US have to set an example for the rest of the world, no?
However if I was running South Korea, or the USA, and any nation or group ever committed such an act of atrocity as mentioned above the reaction from me would be MILLIONS dead intstants after the culprit was identified. However with that type of strength of policy I don't believe there would be any such attack. After all not all radical islamist can be matyrs can they, lest there be none left! With that as a policy should not North Korea be wiped clean? Starting with about a thousand mile radius of anywhere lil KIM might be, wouldn't want to miss him.
Just my 2cents worth, I get tired of unprovoked acts of war against us, or our allies going unanswered. The enemy gets emboldended and we wait until the act of war they commit is so atrocious that reaction is either inevetible or impossible.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Izarith
reply to post by Curio

You are correct, there will definitely be no war over this.

No government wants any trouble with NK, And it's not the NK army or the nukes it's the people of NK.

If the NK government falls the people of NK will flood into china and South Korea in one of the worlds largest humanitarian refugee catastrophes ever seen.

Chine nor South Korea could not Handel so many people flooding into they country. So for now NK can do what ever the hell it wants and Kim knows it.

We will probably end up with half of them here in the UK like the rest of the bloody foreigners here we are paying £billions a year to in benefits!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

US State Department must have another definition....hmmmmm

Main Entry: con·se·quence
Pronunciation: \ˈkän(t)-sə-ˌkwen(t)s, -kwən(t)s\
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1 : a conclusion derived through logic : inference
2 : something produced by a cause or necessarily following from a set of conditions
3 a : importance with respect to power to produce an effect b : social importance
4 : the appearance of importance; especially : self-importance

synonyms see importance

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I am well aware of this. Every single South Korean I have spoken to over the past 8 years has said they do not fear North Korea in the slightest. Every single one of them feared the US, and especially Bush Jr when he was in office, much more. A few even said they would defend their Northern "brothers" against eh US. To be honest, that surprised me.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Excellent article on this situation.....

www.heritage.org...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I think they are trying their best to play down the situation.
The latest.

Pentagon won't say ship sinking is an act of war

By ANNE FLAHERTY (AP) – 1 hour ago

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon's top leadership refused on Thursday to label the sinking of a South Korean ship an act of war.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates says the United States supports the finding that North Korea sank a South Korean warship in March. South Korea announced the finding this week.

Gates and Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, say the next move is up to South Korea. They would not discuss what options the U.S. might have, even though the U.S. is a close ally of the South and maintains tens of thousands of troops on the North Korean border to defend the South.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

The Pentagon's top leadership refused on Thursday to label the sinking of a South Korean ship an act of war.

Is that open game for another sinking?

Perhaps Iran will sink a carrier next?

Different story if this ship had been US navy, but lets not give them ideas.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
U.S. State Dept. spokesman says "there will be consequences" for North Korea's sinking of South Korean ship

We know we know.

Gosh, Obama will wave his finger at Little Kimmy and tell him he's been a naughty boy lol.

That will probably be it!

If Iran had sunk a ship belonging to Israel, what would happen?

If Cuba sank a US Carrier, what would happen?

So why does North Korea get the red carpet treatment?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curio

If the NK government falls the people of NK will flood into china and South Korea in one of the worlds largest humanitarian refugee catastrophes ever seen.

Chine nor South Korea could not Handel so many people flooding into they country. So for now NK can do what ever the hell it wants and Kim knows it.

I don't think that's really the case.

Much of NK is rural, and the media is so tightly controlled many would not know what was happening in their own country unless their leadership admitted it. They are a very brainwashed people.
You might have a few in urban areas who realize the magnitude of what is happening, and they might try to leave. But the vast majority would either fight back or simply not know/understand what was happening in other areas of their country and so would have little inclination to head for the border.

The primary reason no one is willing to take the usual action that would be expected at such a provocation is the immense firepower supposedly aimed directly at Seoul.

Any military strike on SK by NK would risk them firing everything they have at Seoul, they're holding it hostage, and that means millions of innocent people in the firing line.

It's not just conventional weaponry either. They're believed to have considerable chemical and biological capability mixed in with that.

NK could level Seoul within a few hours, potentially killing everyone there.

That's why I find it hard to believe any nation will do anything to risk an all-out war. NK is unpredictable, and although common sense says they'd use an attack on Seoul as a last resort, they are very unpredictable (with potentially unstable government) and could use that attack first.

Two options exist.
1. SK and the UN make harsh statements and let it be. Everything goes back to normal.

2. SK decides it has to fire back to show resolve. That would lead to NK firing back (probably on Seoul), and possibly a continued escalation until regional allies are brought into it.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by detachedindividual]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
Interesting article from a month ago. South Korean officials said that it could have been a mine, either one planted lately or an old one from the war. Also admitted there has never been a case of the North torpedoing (is that a word?) a boat from the South. So why would the North do it now? And why sink only 1? I smell BS.
www.csmonitor.com...

The reason they took so long and had an International team do the investigation is to stop any possibility of propaganda like you imply from being taken seriously.

Not sure why they bother though as anyone siding with NK is insane and not to be believed ever anyway.

They have the torpedo parts in hand. They have no doubt. Like I said, the delay was to stop liars and propaganda from those liars. It's not hard to figure out.

The UN will take action. China will holdout until the sanctions are meaningless and then they will sign on. A few months from now NK will do something like this again. SSDD This will continue until one day they push the wrong button and someone will be forced to level NK.

To whoever posted about the innocent people of NK -

Feeling sorry for the people of NK is like feeling sorry for a caged Tiger. It might make the bleeding hearts feel better but when you open the cage door the Tiger will still eat you alive. To the Tiger you are just something to be killed and eaten. To the people of NK, brainwashed or not, everyone else is just a target to slaughter. They train to kill you from pre-school on. They would not shed a single tear as they look into the hole where your guts once were.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by primus2012

Also read the articles. I was being somewhat sarcastic. But they said the ship was hit at the stern. Surviving sailors said so. Isn't there a difference between stern and middle? I can conceived they were stressed, but...

And representatives said SK decided to wipe any progress made with NK and go back to the policies of destroying NK's governments.

Also, what do you make of the incident when SK opened fire on a NK ship, killing 30 NK'S sailors for 6 SKs...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I don't see how NKs actions are unlawful or anything of this nature. Both sides are still at war. What part of 'at war' do people not understand?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

The torpedo manufacturer must be the same that issued passports for terrorists on 9/11. They should make cars with the same stuff...seems indestructible.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der
I don't see how NKs actions are unlawful or anything of this nature. Both sides are still at war. What part of 'at war' do people not understand?

Technically they are still at war, but they did sign an agreement to refrain from hostile actions.

Just as Britain was still technically at war with Germany for many decades after the end of WW2. Doesn't mean a nation arbitrarily has the right to attack another.

The status of being "at war" often remains after the end of hostilities to enable action to be resumed as and when required, basically if any agreement made doesn't hold.

At least that's how I understand it.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I think they are trying their best to play down the situation.
The latest.

We know what the americans are like, they would jump at any chance of violence over countries that are no match for them.

But the international people, not press know about anglo american empire and there lies now don't they.

Oh lets get the english and americans to decide, lol.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
all of you defending the US and the south koreans , you are actually aware that the US are invaders in the korean peninsula! Much like the British were in India , Honk Kong and many other countries that the brits stole in when the commonwealth was alive. The difference being is that the brits returned the sovereignty back to the nations. The US are simply they for military strategic advantage not to protect the South koreans from the north but to divide them from the north so they can command eurasia more effectively , South korea serves as another choke point in the far east much like Okinawa!

None of you can deny the strategic value of the military and air force bases in these foreign lands! These serve to bolster the US empire and protect the homeland and also serve as a staging area need they expand their empire.

the US doesnt give a flying monkeys about the south koreans , they are just innocent bystander in all of this.

the DPRK ( north korea) all of you start calling it by its proper name only want reunification of their entire homeland , however they cannot as the largest super power in the wolrd is stopping them and using every power available including the UN security council to make the DPRK look like an evil dictatorship , when in reality the DPRK are nothing more than a developing nation with diffferent political ideology to the west.

Something the US government cant stand because it serves to remind them of the terrible war they fought against communism and lost , during vietnam and the long struggle against Mother Russia

Yet years later after the supposed cold war has ended the war of the minds still lives on ,because the Evil empires propaganda still resides in your minds,

and the main purpose of this site is to deny ignorance , and yes you are being ignorant to the DPRK.

Imagine you are a proud nation a soveriegn nation and some super power wants to impose their will upon you , change your political ideology and usurp your own government and install a regime that has no interest in its people , or their culture . What do you do , do you open the front gates roll out the red carpet and let them waltz right in a set up shop !

No you defed your country and its heritage.

Imagine americans if this happened to you , oh wait it did , when the british yes a super power at the time wanted to keep you as a part of the commonwealth , yet you stood against them and set about change , you didnt want to be ruled by the british king and you set up your own government !

So the DPRK arent so far from the US when you think about it!
Still here you are believing your lying government once again ,

your government feeds you # and tells you its chocolate you eat it , then spew it up , they feed you # again , you eat it and spew it up , how many #in times are you americans going to eat # and keep spewing it up before you realise your eating # and liking it !

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join