It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S. Korea to convene emergency meeting of top military generals

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
North Korea said on Friday the peninsula was heading toward war

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea said on Friday the peninsula was heading toward war and it was ready to tear up all agreements with the South after it accused the reclusive state of torpedoing a navy ship near their disputed border.

South Korea said on Thursday it had overwhelming evidence that a North Korean submarine had entered its waters in March and attacked the Cheonan corvette, killing 46 sailors.

President Lee Myung-bak, whose 2- years in office have seen relations with the North turn increasingly frosty, was scheduled to hold a rare emergency National Security Council meeting to discuss how to respond in the wake of the findings on the sinking from an international team of investigators.

"From this time on, we will regard the situation as a phase of war and will be responding resolutely to all problems in North-South relations," the North's Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland said in a statement.

Sounds like the Korean war will be resumed shortly.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Let all out war happen already. North VS. South. It is going to happen eventually, and better now than later don't you think?

It is like a drama movie, with attempts to make the plot oh so dramatic so the final war can be awe inspiring and add to the dramatic effect into its entirety.

North Korea... I order you to destroy south Korea.
South Korea... I order you to destroy North Korea.

Now after I have just given you the green light, no excuses will be tolerable.

DO IT ALREADY.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
You know what the US had planned for yesterday and the week-end?

DRILLS TO EVACUATE SOUTH KOREA... now they cancelled them... because that would have been interpreted as a clear sign of SK-US preparing to attack the North...

USFK has emergency evacuation blueprint, but concedes things may not go as expected

Should hostilities ever resume on the peninsula, U.S. military officials say one of the first orders of business probably would be to coordinate an evacuation from South Korea of perhaps hundreds of thousands of Americans and other foreign nationals.

A long-scheduled U.S. Forces Korea exercise to practice evacuating noncombatants was supposed to start Thursday and run through this weekend. But the annual Courageous Channel drill was cancelled earlier this week “to avoid the appearance that it was scheduled in response to the March sinking of a South Korean warship or the subsequent investigation,” USFK said in a statement Tuesday.

Eighth Army spokesman Lt. Col. Jeff Buczkowski said moving American civilians and others off the peninsula in a real emergency “would dwarf any previous evacuation,” and those in charge would be prepared to expect the unexpected.

“If we plan on using a certain train, and they blow that train up, then we have to use another one,” he said during a briefing with a Stars and Stripes reporter who was going to participate in the cancelled drill that would have involved as many as 10,000 American civilians.

There are about 109,000 U.S. government and private civilians living in South Korea, and nearly 44,000 people from a half-dozen countries have evacuation agreements with the U.S., according to government figures.

“But, if something happened, more could jump on the bandwagon” and ask the U.S. for help evacuating its citizens, Buczkowski said.

“All of a sudden we could find ourselves with an additional 50,000 people from somewhere else. It could grow … (and) it’s a huge operation already.”

Yeah good luck with that. NKorea artillery shells will land in Seoul WAY BEFORE you can evacuate the 10 million people living there.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Yeah good luck with that. NKorea artillery shells will land in Seoul WAY BEFORE you can evacuate the 10 million people living there.

Our cruise missiles and stealth bombers will take out there artillery before they even get close to firing them.

We know exactly where all of there weapons are. If war does break out Shock and Awe will have a whole new meaning

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I honestly doubt anything will come of this.

Every time something like this happens, we have a few harsh words, a few threats of war, and nothing more.

Let's not forget that NK took down a SK jet twenty years ago and killed 115 people. What came of that? Not war, obviously.

My one concern here is that Kim is dying and he knows it. His whole life has been about hatred for SK and building up a military. From his perspective, I doubt he wants to die before he gets a good swipe at seeing his life's work come to fruition.

You take a dying madman, a country with nothing to lose, and increased tension, and you have a possibility for disaster.

Whatever happens, NK will be the one to spark it. Unlike NK, SK has too much at stake to declare war.

The artillery aimed at Seoul is a definite reason for concern. There's frankly no way other than a surprise attack to completely neutralize all of NK's artillery capabilities. Considering NK is the one that wants war here, a surprise attack on them is unlikely.

I'm 75% sure this will blow over, however.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by MEAT10AF]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 90gsx

Are you serious? Don't get me wrong, the american war machine is quite capable, but you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

ALL MILITARY ANALYSTS SAY the contrary. No way in hell the US/SK forces can wipe out all NK artillery/missile force before they kill 500.000 civilians in Seoul AT LEAST.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
It took 11 pages to say this?:

Nothing will happen here because the US and China do not want anything to happen here. 'Nuff said.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
S.Korea, US mull higher alert status on North-Yonhap

South Korea and the United States are considering upgrading the alert status on North Korea to the next level as tensions build up on findings the North sank one of the South's naval ships, Yonhap news agency reported on Friday.

"A review is under way on possibly raising the watch condition on the North," an unidentified high-ranking military source was quoted as saying.

U.N. command to probe whether N. Korea violated armistice

A United Nations military command plans to investigate whether a North Korean torpedo attack on a South Korean warship was in violation of an armistice agreement, a Seoul government source said Friday.

If the North is proven to have violated the armistice pact, the commission will lodge a formal protest with Pyongyang, the source said.

"Depending on the government's decision, we could take military or non-military measures as early as next week," Deputy Defense Minister Jang Kwang-il said.

The South's military is considering resuming propaganda broadcasts across the border with the North, launching anti-submarine military training exercises with the U.S. and banning North Korean ships from passing through South Korean waters, officials said.

Lee says N.K. torpedo attack 'military provocation,' armistice violation

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak ordered his government Friday to deal with North Korea "resolutely and systematically," saying its torpedo attack on a South Korean warship in March violates the U.N. Charter and the 1953 armistice agreement that effectively ended the Korean War.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
North Korean dissident plots revolution in London

It would not be surprising for rumblings of discontent to spread to the military as it is not immune to food shortages. Kim says troops do not undergo physical training in the afternoon because they are too hungry.

What a strong army!

S.Korea, U.S. Plan Joint Anti-Submarine Drill Next Month

South Korea and the United States have agreed to carry out a massive anti-submarine training drill in the West Sea sometime next month, mobilizing a U.S. nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, in a strong protest against North Korea's sinking of the Navy corvette Cheonan.

A senior government official on Thursday said the two allies "decided to hold a large-scale joint drill in June, much earlier than originally planned, to express our strong determination to take steps against North Korea."

The drill was originally scheduled in fall. It will also take place closer to the inter-Korean sea border than usual. A number of large aircraft carriers such as the George Washington and Aegis ships will take part.

Wow! ALMOST SOMETHING! NKorea is gonna be afraid!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
America will dread a war with NK because the first thing that will be vapourised will be all of America's military personnel stationed in SK, and the last thing the yanks need is to be isolated by SK and Japan by being seen as an unnecessary aggressor. It would hurt America big time in the long term.

SK will dread a war with NK because the first thing vapourised will be Seoul, and their economy will crumble. Japan will not want to see a war on the Korean Peninsula because their capital and other cities will most likely be targeted by NK's missiles.

NK will dread a war with SK because it is unlikely that China will back them this time round. And China will not want a war on the Korean Peninsula because they'll have to worry about millions of refugees spilling over to their side of the border.

There is nothing to this other than hollow rhetoric from a hollow regime.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Nothing will come of it I predict. Just more of the same, finger waging...
Naughty Naughty North Korea, you sank my battleship! You should behave you know!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I'm of the opinion that dependent on the markets down ward trend is dependent on what kind of distraction we get...

If it looks bad we get threats of war... as it gets worse those threats increase..

You have gota keep the people distracted.. don't want any bank runs now do we

As soon as this blows over, we'll see Iran back in the spot light, OR perhaps a mix of Volcanic Ash (for Europenas) and Oil Slick (for the America's)

Since the economic crisis began the MSM have rollled out threat after threat.. and until the economic crisis is over it'll continue down the same path.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Mordeen

Could not agree more, we are on the same page here...

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
So many replies to what ive said,

Im not stating facts but my opinions and information from what ive read or have been told !

and who is to say that what I have read or have been told is fact !

yet everyone on here who replied to me is lambasting me for my opinion and taking the discussion into what every other thread on ATS becomes

a child like " I know more than you , so Im right and your wrong thread"

every discussion on here degrades into this , the users who have more knowledge bashing and outright flaming people because they have less knowledge on a subject , whilst stroking their own egos!

how about you inform me instead of flaming me for my opinion and my aparent lack of knowledge on subjects !

In any case all of the weapons pointed at Seoul is simply a show of force , and ace in the hand , just like a nuclear deterrent .

you all go on about how the DPRK are allowed to harass the south and get away with it because chind lets them and the us tolerate it with sanctions

yet the US allow israel to abuse palestine and nothing gets done about that !

I didnt study journalism , environmental toxicology was my degree !

I dont run in politics because its corrupt , and simply no one in the UK cares , they would rather protect their own pockets first than care about foreign policy !

I instead help on a community level by teaching kids, and teenagers about art and graphic design , another of my favourite things

So if they cant express themselves through their vote and make their voice heard they can by expressing themselves through art !

Ok so educate me about what you know about the DPRK and I'll take it on board , there is no need to get on a bad foot with me !

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by primus2012
If it takes nearly 2 months to decide what to do in retaliation of an attack, this will go on forever.

I think so too.

The US didn't attack straight away after 9/11. And that's still going.

This could flare up big.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

That's funny all of the Koreans I know say exactly the opposite. They understand what the consequences of inaction against the North would be.
Their freedom, which is at risk every day would surely disintegrate. The North would retaliate against the civilian populations of SK in order to subdue and assimilate them under their god Kim's tyranny.

According to my friends they areverymuch afraid of this.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
sapien82 is probably a North Korean propagandist in North Korea.
[edit on 20-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

OMG, I was just about to infer the same.

I do not believe that he is anywhere near Scotland as his location states.

British intelligence would probably be keeping an eye him as I'm sure they also monitor this site. They would classify him as a sympathizer or a kook at the very least.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

hahahah are you #ting me ?

im at work right now in glasgow on bothwell street , and the MOD building two streets across from my office , youd think they would come and take me away eh!

mate your talking nonsense Im not a propagandist or a sympathiser !

maybe the last part isnt true I sympathise with the korean people for being innocent bystanders in all of this.

check my IP address if you dont believe me !

Are they going to classify me aye , your trippin pal seriously if you think the mod are going to come and take me away for having views on the world then your mistaken.

Oh wait I dont live in america and there isnt a gauntanamo bay which I could be tortured in , or is there ? Does britain have its version of gauntanamo or do we just allow the US to extradite ?

[edit on 21-5-2010 by sapien82]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Underbelly
America will dread a war with NK because the first thing that will be vapourised will be all of America's military personnel stationed in SK, and the last thing the yanks need is to be isolated by SK and Japan by being seen as an unnecessary aggressor. It would hurt America big time in the long term.

SK will dread a war with NK because the first thing vapourised will be Seoul, and their economy will crumble. Japan will not want to see a war on the Korean Peninsula because their capital and other cities will most likely be targeted by NK's missiles.

NK will dread a war with SK because it is unlikely that China will back them this time round. And China will not want a war on the Korean Peninsula because they'll have to worry about millions of refugees spilling over to their side of the border.

There is nothing to this other than hollow rhetoric from a hollow regime.

All US Soldiers are now below Seoul so the North Korea may wipe out Seoul but they will leave the fighting force of American Forces in Korea. =) you are mistaking on that part.

South Korea does not want a war because they know seoul would fall hard. However the south has plenty of underground bunkers and a back up capital in south of Seoul.

North Korea does not want a war period because they know the full might of America, G.B, Aussie and possible Nato and the E.U. Will come down on them. China may or may not come to there puppets AID in the south. But if they did it wouldnt go well for china, they have no deep water Navy and they can expect fighting to occur on there soil...

The wild card would be Russia what would the do would the stay put, attack china, or attack the US? Thats the wild card there.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join