It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S. Korea to convene emergency meeting of top military generals

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

S. Korea to convene emergency meeting of top military generals

english.yonhapnews.co.kr

South Korea will assemble an emergency meeting of top military leaders Thursday to discuss how to respond to the March sinking of one of its warships and bolster defense readiness, an official said.

The meeting of about 20 top generals will commence after South Korea announces the outcome of an international investigation into the sinking of the 1,200-ton patrol vessel Cheonan in waters near the Yellow Sea border with North Korea.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
It's now Thursday in South Korea.

Time for the truth to come out about this act of war by North Korea.

S. Korea confirms North's torpedo sank warship

Now the generals are convened into a meeting to see what they'll do in the light of this...

Anger, frustration run deep in military over warship sinking
Lots of people in the military want revenge and maybe even war... let's hope the generals have not the same feeling...but they probably do. After all, their comrades were assassinated by the vicious North Korean regime.

But all I heard for now is : more sanctions against NKorea and the resuming of propaganda against NKorea over the DMZ, also end of cooperation except the factory they have in common on the border.

So maybe the new general meeting will change that for a more harsher tone..

N. Korea accuses South of pushing inter-Korean relations to catastrophe
Yeah who started it?

N. Korea unexpectedly calls rubber-stamp parliament into session
It seems the NKorean government is already preparing for sanctions or something... they will plan something at this emergency meeting...hopefully not war.

And the SKorean stock market is down...

english.yonhapnews.co.kr
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
yep, it's official.............story here

www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Well North Korea has a large military capability. However although they have a large number it is dated and much less capable, pound for pound the South Korean forces have more ability, better technology and more advanced weapons. This isn't 1950 where the North had overwhelming forces against a poor scattered defense force like the South had back then. South Korea has a large and Sophisticated military. I don't think North Korea attacking the South will be the cake walk I keep hearing and reading about in these threads.

Outside of their Nukes North Korea may find a Real Tiger not the perceived paper one they and everybody else believes the South is.

Having said that there will be countless dead and wounded mostly South Koreans simply becuase they have a larger and more prosperous population [Simply put... more targets.] unlike the walking skeletons of the North.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
There will be no war over this - SK has too much to lose. I expect some harsh words from the UN and talk of sanctions....maybe some other symbolic stuff....but SK will NOT lose Seoul (we all know it would be destroyed) and undo all these years of becoming a modern and prosperous country, over the sinking of one ship. And that's what they SHOULD do - why drag themselves down to NK's level when their country is 100000x better

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
If it takes nearly 2 months to decide what to do in retaliation of an attack, this will go on forever.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
South Korea is going to the UN about this, so calm down.

It will be some time before anyone decides to blow up half the Korean peninsula.

We have to wait to see if the UN will pass a resolution and if China vetoes or abstains.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Sounds like your right, according to this AP article below....

www.google.com...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The white house have just responded,

White House says N. Korea's "act of aggression" is "unacceptable behavior" and a "defiance of international law."

U.S: N. Korea must understand that belligerence towards its neighbors and defiance of the international community are signs of weakness.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by asala]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

Thanks.
This pretty much sums it up nicely.

Your Source

While a military response from either the United States or South Korea is unlikely, U.S. officials say they are considering a variety of options, ranging from U.N. Security Council action to additional U.S. penalties.

Although Pyongyang's attack on one of America's closest allies in Asia may seem outrageous, U.S. officials fear that a severe reaction might set in motion events that provoke a North Korean military reaction or erode North Korean leader Kim Jong Il's grip on power. Either war or chaos inside North Korea could have devastating security consequences.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I think the response will look weak whatever it may be, to the North anyway. I still can’t believe they are going to get away with this!! Make no mistake; they have gotten away with an unprovoked "attack"!!!

[edit on 19-5-2010 by paradiselost333]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This just in from "Yonhap"....

SEOUL, May 20 (AFP) - North Korea Thursday again denied it sank a South Korean warship and warned of "full-scale war" if new sanctions are imposed, Seoul's Yonhap news agency reported

www.mysinchew.com...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curio
There will be no war over this - SK has too much to lose. I expect some harsh words from the UN and talk of sanctions....maybe some other symbolic stuff....but SK will NOT lose Seoul (we all know it would be destroyed) and undo all these years of becoming a modern and prosperous country, over the sinking of one ship. And that's what they SHOULD do - why drag themselves down to NK's level when their country is 100000x better

Great point, and great avatar as well! I also like the fact that you joined on 11/11 lol.

But more to the point I agree that it is a never ending stalemate between N and S in Korea. If S.Korea were to go on the offensive the Seoul would face the "sea of fire" and if N. Korea were to on the offensive it would face nuclear bombs raining down from the many friends of S. Korea. It is lose lose for both sides.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
More coming out,

: N. Korea denies sinking S. Korea ship, warns that any retaliation will trigger 'all-out' war

Reuters: China says it will not make a direct comment on South Korean report. but calls the sinking "unfortunate."

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

More threads on this busting out, better get busy.....

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I would be very shocked if a full scale conflict arises from this. It would prove to be very costly in a number of ways for both countries. (and others)

Sanctions would be the most likely way to go, although the north have already said if there's sanctions then they will launch an attack. (according to CNN).

As far as a war goes, I agree with Slayer69. The North are huge in numbers but they don't have the technology to take out the south.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
posted on 18-5-2010 @ 08:17 PM single this post "quote"REPLY TO:

Written the other night..... in other thread
Told ya thing's was gonna heat up a bit... it's all over the MSM just like I said the other night, wait till Thursday.... it's gonna get real interesting

Once again, I was ahead of the game, no matter how it plays out, only nobody was listening.... Chirp, Chirp......Boom

[edit on 19-5-2010 by freetree64]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The interesting thing about this is CHINA isn't taking any sides.

Bunch of scumbags. Taking no side = taking side with North Korea. One more proof North Korea is their little puppet.

Time to bomb North Korea and China too.

MacArthur was right. He should have nuked China and North Korea while he had the chance.

/Half kidding.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Can you believe this crap!!!! Beligerence!!! They killed South Korean Sailors, and sunk a ship!!!!

“North Korea must understand that belligerence towards its neighbors and defiance of the international community are signs of weakness, not strength,” Gibbs said. “Such unacceptable behavior only deepens North Korea’s isolation. It reinforces the resolve of its neighbors to intensify their cooperation to safeguard peace and stability in the region against all provocations.”

Meanwhile, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon learned of the findings with “heavy heart and serious concern.” “The Secretary-General appreciates the restrained and patient efforts of the Government of the Republic of Korea to investigate this incident in an objective and scientific manner by both domestic and international experts,” said Martin Nesirky, a spokesman for Ban. “The facts laid out in the report are deeply troubling,” he added.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I love South Korea. Great people.

If those nasty bastards in North Korea touch ONE HAIR of a South Korean, they need to be bombed into oblivion.

Evacuate Seoul first... or at least send the population underground in the metros, in basements, wherever they can be safe from artillery.

BTW, a big carrier strike group is leaving the US FRIDAY... so my guess is that they will station near NKorean coast... or Iran...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join