It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harder To Believe In - God or Aliens?

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Here's my take considering that I believe in both...

IMO, believing in God is harder...If you believe in God, then in general (and I mean GENERAL) you fall into a catagory of service to God type lyfestyle. What I mean is, if there is a God, and you believe in him/her, you most likely follow the basic rules that go along, like the act of worshiping God (like regularly attending church, or mass, or whatever), or tithing to God, or obeying the rules that your God has set in your life (thus the usual guilt or shame that is set upon you for breaking these rules). These are very basic and loose aspects to a believers lifestyle, but are tedious requirements nonetheless....These requirements are often times the major turnoff for those who choose not to believe.

On the other hand, believing in aliens requires none of these acts of servitude. Therefore, you are not bound by a fear of aliens, or a need to act on the belief either. You just make up your mind that they are real, and your done. Other than the minimal riducule you may face for admitting your belief in aliens (which you can obviously choose to keep that to yourself as opposed to your religios beliefs which are usually much more open) there is really no reason that believing in aliens would be harder then believing in God.

[edit on 3-1-2005 by mpeake]

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I hope everybody understands, I know there is no objective PROOF for what I believe to be true.

That having been said up front, here goes:

1. "God" has to be an ET; there's no other possible manifestation for a "REAL" Creator. Myths didn't assemble DNA nor synthesize the self-sustaining life-support systems of whichever planets are inhabitable and inhabited.

2. Language being the inexact science that it always has been, I expect humans have a hard time getting a handle on what God thinks, says and does. Whatever has been written down about God is always--by definition--second, third or fifth hand. Therefore, all scripture is a very inexact replica of the thoughts of God--ehhh--maybe. If God is taking personal responsibility for the outcome of Scriptures, then maybe the Fundies are correct who say, in some sense, the Scriptures are "perfect." But then again, there's no PROOF.

3. "The Cause has to be sufficient to produce the effect." Therefore, God is telepathic, clair audient and clair voyant; otherwise, those characteristics would not exist in anyone anywhere else either. Likewise, personality, focus, organization, memory, and articulation would not manifest if God did not have those functions also. He couldn't convey to children, what he did not have, in the first place.

4. God is outside the limits of Time when He chooses to be (as when he's NOT watching over a Creation). That's the story: that God is Eternal and humans are not. That being so, God MUST have a perpetual source of energy or BE a perpetual source of energy. "He dwells in unapproachable light," is what Paul says of him in I Cor.

5. God is approachable--not just some distant ET figurehead. That's the story we have had handed down. That is the issue on the table. If God is approachable, why aren't MORE humans showing up with his characteristics? I can't answer that question; it's beyond the scope of even Subjective "proof."

6. God has a Plan. Well, yeah. Scripture talks about a sequence of covenants. That implies a Plan : Stewardship, Community, Literacy, Law and Compassion appears to be the Qualities that these covenants teach. Looks logical to me. So, ETs and non-covenantal peoples are all also part of the Plan--apparently. Okay, I'm not in a position to argue against such a Plan.

Interesting where this went, as it flows out of the keyboard.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The earth is an island in the middle of a dead ocean, its distance from the sun, tilt, gas distribution, water content, radiation filtering sky, numerous ecocycle�s are perfect for life to excist.

There�s two things possibly here.

1. The chances that this can happen by accident (big bang etc.) are so remote someone must have created it. Who?

2. The chances which are so remote, that we are the "1" in the trillion billion to 1
possibility.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Can of worms opened. But good thread!
Science can not explain the Holy Spirit, just physics of things that you can see, smell, and touch.
Faith, Someone in Heaven loves me. My guardian angle huggs me and will stand by me. I laugh at evil, pray before battle, and when I fall on the battle field, my guardian angle will guide me safely home.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Bible/God & alien phenomena

Hi there, I used to also think of the "chariots of fire" & the nephilim in the bible, maybe all that was some kind of alien experiences that happened from way back then, but really, I now believe all this kind of stuff really is evil & it just happens to take our focus off of God, we will get all the answers later on, rather focus on why you are here for now, as by the time you realise what life is really about you will have worried about nothing with aliens etc, it's just another way of diverting yours & my attention, live for now for God & all your answers will be answered later.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
God. no question. whenever one is asked to believe in a god, they are asked to worship. I cannot, and will not, EVER worship something. If a god exists, ze can come down and ask politely that I believe in hir. But to ask someone to grovel, to beg, to worship.....what kind of being is that?? why does that sort of being deserve your love??

Aliens..............we're here aren;t we??? so what says that intelligent life doesn't exist elsewhere?? and there is nothing, anywhere that says that we are required to worship aliens.

it really is just a question of belief. We don't ahve proof of either of these things, so we're running on faith. But somehow, its easier to believe in intelligent life then an allpowerfull god.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bean
God. no question. whenever one is asked to believe in a god, they are asked to worship. I cannot, and will not, EVER worship something. If a god exists, ze can come down and ask politely that I believe in hir. But to ask someone to grovel, to beg, to worship.....what kind of being is that?? why does that sort of being deserve your love??

Aliens..............we're here aren;t we??? so what says that intelligent life doesn't exist elsewhere?? and there is nothing, anywhere that says that we are required to worship aliens.

it really is just a question of belief. We don't ahve proof of either of these things, so we're running on faith. But somehow, its easier to believe in intelligent life then an allpowerfull god.

Thanks Bean! You just proved the point I made a few posts ago

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by bicnarok
The earth is an island in the middle of a dead ocean, its distance from the sun, tilt, gas distribution, water content, radiation filtering sky, numerous ecocycle�s are perfect for life to excist.

so out of all the planets out there , what is to say that planets this size , this far from a star , and made up of this chemical and that chemical dont all develop atmospheres similar to earth - alot of scientists are already thinking that mars had an atmospere and that it could still have frozen water , also IO - aleged to have water under a frozen surface and heated by the pull of jupiter - 3 our of our 9 planets and their moons so far - not quite one of a kind is it

There�s two things possibly here.

1. The chances that this can happen by accident (big bang etc.) are so remote someone must have created it. Who?

2. The chances which are so remote, that we are the "1" in the trillion billion to 1
possibility.

i think your bleak outlook on things is a bit off the mark -

1. we do not know the probability of life on other planets , we could have 3 in our own solar system with life. even then , if they prove to be lifeless we have only searched 9 planets and a few moons out of how many billions ? - how can you say with our knowledge so far that it is so remote ?

2. what is the chance that a god being exists outside logical space time ? i would say that this being that has always existed and can defy laws of the universe is highly more improbable than the one in a trillion billion to one that u give the life on planets.

3. what is to say that our universe shape is the natural formation of matter ? when all the elements are together in this way - maybe this is the only shape it can take

4. we do not know probabilities of anything out side our small window of the universe , we are not able to make judgements on if life exists or not elsewhere with our extremely limited understanding of anything that does not happen within the realms of our local area.

5. why has something that we have no understanding of , got to be boxed into something godlike , spiritual or supernatural ? years ago people with warts who mixed herbs where witches , the stars where holes in the sky where gods looked down upon us , even unclimable mountains of the day where thought to have demons or gods living in them . it is human nature to shoebox things away so that we can pretend we know the answers when it should just be left as an unknown until further research.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I was raised a catholic....but I just have this part of me that can not accept and or belive that we came from god...I really think the whole woman came from adams rib this is perposturous!
Iam in no way dowing anyones belifes...thats just what I think.

On the other hand aliens...well we are from earth...why cant there be another solar system..with a planet (s) that is able to sustain life such as our (planet earth) and perhaps because of evolution they do not look like us and or their technology might far supass ours.....

oh and EmbryonicEssence your icon of meatwad rules!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
If God really existed, would He really have let this thread go on for 43 pages?

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by bicnarok
The earth is an island in the middle of a dead ocean, its distance from the sun, tilt, gas distribution, water content, radiation filtering sky, numerous ecocycle´s are perfect for life to excist.

There´s two things possibly here.

possibility.

Who said the laws of physics are an accident? And why do you think we are here for a purpose? We obviously wouldnt be here if the conditions were not right, we would be somewhere else where the conditions are right, asking the same question.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Text Blue We know that God doesn't exist. God can be given any definition. What you serve, fear, hate or live by. On thee other, hand aliens do exist. We have seen photos and hard evidence. The more you study the more you realize that "god" was really aliens. They were gods to the ancients because the aliens had what we would refer to as "Advanced Science". I accept the fact that aliens are real rather than live in a paranoid world of believing in an "omnipresent god". Most people that beleive in God are weak minded and have to have something to cry to that they feel have emphathy and symphathy with them. Some of you asked if aliens exist who created them. Why did they have to be created? They may have never had a beginning. Time in man's frame of mind may be different from the E.Ts. A bigger question is if "god" is an alien then who is the devil and where is he?

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
You say that "we know God doesn't exist". Would you mind providing some sort of proof for your opinion. Obvoiously it's not fact.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense

Originally posted by colec156
.... point out if god is an alien who created him, but then if god is not an alien, where did god come from....

Well Colec156, What do you believe?

im a catholic i believe in God

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Both are easy to believe in. It takes faith to believe in God.
Faith is easy to obtain but can be hard to keep.

There are many planets out there, I believe that there MUST be a single one that can support life, and does so. Have they visited us? I have no clue but I do believe they exist.

gl2

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
God as masculine, controlling and vengeful--AND humanoid? Universal mind would have no gender, favor no species' form, and would be a collective consciousness premised upon the interconnectedness of all existence. Aliens would certainly be part of such.

But, what if there were no first cause? What if time can be defined in terms that, like the non-local (aliens say faster-than-light electrogravity-related) physics of all that we see, turns back in upon itself and both re-defines itself, yet is vulnerable? In short, "God" would be evolving at all times. To understand the basis for universal mind/mindedness of the sort, would require one to be transparent, to abandon individual pretensions (certainly specious/gender impulses) and try to research and be open to all other mind that has ever existed. That would be a "human" (and other) rights responsibility--all those killed by death squads and the narco-dealing cabal insiders (like certain Du Ponts, Rothschilds and so on) would be no greater than ANY OTHER PERSON. Indeed, to have taken a life wrongly would essentially invalidate the offender's premise: it would cut him/her off from greater knowledge. The greater whole could not be reduced to the greed and ignorance of drunken, sexually opportunistic mafioso.

Whether you would believe in either God or aliens, you are a part of both universal mind and you are an alien to other peoples. It wouldn't be a matter of whether you see or externally manipulate such concepts. Instead, you can't jump in and then out of either. You would have to BE such to understand either, in the first place. Then you would evolve within such community/communities--you wouldn't freeze your understanding in terms of Bronze Age non-science. That would be ignorance, a failure to live within the larger order of being. Meanwhile, look at the mess humans have made of such... essentially alien to "God."

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This thread is PREPOSTEROUS. Anyone with half a brain and a morsal of logic would agree so as well. Believing in god doesn't necessitate worshipping god, or going to church, or doing so on BLIND FAITH alone. There are some people, including very prominant philosophers who were ten billion times smarter than any of you, who believe in a God because LOGICALLY it makes sense. There is NO bible in this equation. It's simple rationale and reason. I'm not going to get into the countless proofs of God put forth by people like Aristotle, Leibnez, David Hume, because frankly they will go straight over your heads. Christ, even Einstein believed that science will reach a point where it can go no further, and that a God may be the only explanation.

With that said, I believe in aliens as well, but logic can't prove aliens. Stats can tell you that it's probable, but logical reasoning can't.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Aliens hands down, we have proof of them, pictures, video, gov. has a couple of them, proof. God? Bible. So, I can write a book that says I am god. Proof? The book says I am god. Proof the book is right? The book says so. Thats how it is with the bible. The bible is right because it says it is, proof that it is is in the book, cause the book says it is. WTF kind of logic is that? "I am right because I say so, and to prove it I will say so right now, I am right, making me right, cause I said so." Hell of alot easier to win on Jeapordy or Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Don't need to know the answer, just that you are right, because you say you are, because you said so.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Aliens hands down, we have proof of them, pictures, video, gov. has a couple of them, proof. God? Bible. So, I can write a book that says I am god. Proof? The book says I am god. Proof the book is right? The book says so. Thats how it is with the bible. The bible is right because it says it is, proof that it is is in the book, cause the book says it is. WTF kind of logic is that? "I am right because I say so, and to prove it I will say so right now, I am right, making me right, cause I said so." Hell of alot easier to win on Jeapordy or Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Don't need to know the answer, just that you are right, because you say you are, because you said so.

purecanadiantrash
There is NO bible in this equation.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Commonsense and them has a case on his hands to prove. He gave no reasonable expnanation that God is more "realistic"

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join