It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 413
<< 410  411  412    414  415  416 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Another case being described as mild in Canada....

A 60-year-old man with swine flu and other health problems is on life support at Toronto Western Hospital.

Sources say the man was admitted to hospital just over a week ago and was immediately put on a ventilator. He is in critical condition in the intensive care unit at the hospital, part of the University Health Network. It is not known how he contracted the H1N1 flu virus.

While the province won't provide many details, the health minister's press secretary said the man's case of the H1N1 flu virus is "mild" and that it is the individual's underlying health problems that have made him so sick.

"So far, all the cases in Ontario have been mild," Steve Erwin, spokesperson for David Caplan, said yesterday.hygimia69.blogspot.com...

This is ridiculous....you'll see from the last quote that they are still describing the Etobicoke guys' case as mild also. They are fooling the public into believing they need not worry about this.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
reply to post by Aeons

I said yesterday I was done.........but today is a new day

I am having difficulty understanding your postion here on this thread.......

What is your goal here........

Are you contributing to this thread or just ridiuculing those who question the media/cdc/gov/who and who seek the truth?

Yes, I know you have been here since April 27th.....and so have I as well as many other members still following this thread.......

In one post explain yourself and be done.........and stop ridiuculing every other poster who questions the media......

[edit on 20-5-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

[edit on 20-5-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

I have ridiculed no one but those who will not think about what they are being spoonfed.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nanbei

Originally posted by ecoparity

Once again, I think you would be better suited starting your own thread to debate this.

Maybe instead of starting his own thread he should look for information at the CNN site or try to talk to someone from the CDC, since he thinks the government and MSM are so trustful.

You merely have your hackles up, and it prevents you from seeing what is right there.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by phoenixs1

Lol life support and only "mild swine flu", jesus christ we are not stupid you bunch of bastards!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The Medium Is The Message

do you see the data, or do you see the medium?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

If ICU is mild, then I'd hate to see severe

I guess severe means death

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Hospitals swamped... LA Times...

www.latimes.com...

"On Long Island, N.Y., hospitals are scrambling to bring extra workers in to handle a 50% surge in visitors to emergency rooms. In Galveston, Texas, the local hospital ran out of flu testing kits after being overwhelmed with patients worried about having contracted swine flu.

At Loma Linda University Medical Center near San Bernardino, emergency room workers have set up a tent in the parking lot to handle a crush of similar patients. In Chicago, ER visits at the city's biggest children's hospital are double normal levels, setting records at the 121-year-old institution."

Anyone know or could anyone offer an educated guess on how many ventilators in a proper medical setting are available at any one time in the USA?

How many people simultaneously with severe needs of ventilators would it take for them to have to turn people away even at special triage facilities?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
No H1N1 In Africa?

From the Sierra

What a labratory metric can tell you, and what reality is are far from the same thing.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The Public Health Agency of Canada will be updating the confirmed total cases of H1N1 today at 4pm (EDT). It hasn't been updated since last Friday. Looks like they'll only be updating it 3 times a week now.

Cases of H1N1 Flu Virus in Canada

The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is committed to sharing information about H1N1 flu virus (Human Swine Flu) cases with Canadians.

Confirmed cases are posted Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 4 p.m. EDT.

As of May 15 2009, a total of 496 laboratory-confirmed cases of H1N1 Flu Virus have been reported in 9 provinces and 1 territory in Canada (see Table 1 below).

www.phac-aspc.gc.ca...

[edit on 20-5-2009 by ZombieSlayer]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Answer to ventilator question is in this course info.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonjah1

If ICU is mild, then I'd hate to see severe

I guess severe means death

No joke!!!

cheesus mice!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Originally posted by nanbei

Originally posted by ecoparity

Once again, I think you would be better suited starting your own thread to debate this.

Maybe instead of starting his own thread he should look for information at the CNN site or try to talk to someone from the CDC, since he thinks the government and MSM are so trustful.

You merely have your hackles up, and it prevents you from seeing what is right there.

I don't know if you had something to contribute to this discussion but the constant "the truth is there" crap is distracting to the point where I have no choice other than to place you on ignore. Sorry but it's just gotten to the point of being ridiculous.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
A bug by any other name

Newly emerging and re-emerging infections have always been a cause for concern among the scientific community and governments. The outbreak of influenza A (H1N1) has raised that concern one notch higher. University Malaya Medical Centre’s infectious disease expert, Prof Dr Adeeba Kamrulzaman speaks to JOSEPH MASILAMANY about the new influenza strain.

The A (H1N1) strain is said to carry the genetic make-up of the human, bird and swine viruses. In the early stage of the outbreak it was purely referred to as the "swine flu". How did this misnomer come about? Can you explain the suggested name, A (H1N1), in the context of its science?

Initial genetic testing suggests that the virus was an influenza A (H1N1) swine flu virus. Influenza A viruses include avian, swine, equine and canine influenza viruses, as well as the human influenza A viruses. They can cause disease in birds, swine, horses, ferrets, dogs, cats, mink, seals, whales and other species.

Avian influenza viruses mainly infect birds, but some strains can also infect and/or cause disease in mammals, including humans (such as H5N1), without further spreading among them.

Swine influenza" (also called "hog flu" and "pig flu") in senso stricto is an animal disease, caused by a specific porcine virus, namely Swine Influenza Virus (SIV).

SIV is very contagious, mainly affecting pigs, but can sporadically cause disease in turkeys and humans, without further spreading in the affected populations ("dead-end" hosts).

The virus is present in all pig-producing countries.

However, further genetic testing revealed that the involved virus contains gene segments from four different influenza types: North American swine, Eurasian swine, North American avian and human type (permitting human to human transmission).

www.thesundaily.com...

OK! It says that further genetic testing revealed four different influenza types - and this is what we can read in the MSM and here at ATS as well.

But I have never even heard about the first genetic tests that revealed A (H1N1) A viruses. They can cause disease in birds, swine, horses, ferrets, dogs, cats, mink, seals, whales and other species.

Why do I have the feeling that they are not telling us the whole truth about this virus that so many people have now?

I'm beginning to think they are covering up much more than we know!

ECO! can you explain this with the first genetic test that showed this was A (H1N1)?

I wish I knew more about genetic testing!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
ninth swine flu death - utah

Young person is Utah's first H1N1 swine flu death
The Salt Lake Tribune

Updated: 05/20/2009 12:06:01 PM MDT

The first Utahn believed to have died due to the new H1N1 swine flu was a young person who did not have underlying health issues, said David Sundwall, executive director of the state health department.

The Salt Lake Valley Health Department and the Utah Department of Health have planned a 1:30 p.m. news conference to discuss the development.

Sundwall told The Salt Lake Tribune the patient is believed to have been a healthy 22-year-old from Salt Lake County. The other eight flu deaths in the U.S. have generally been among patients who have underlying health conditions.

"This is disconcerting," Sundwall said.

Utah currently has 116 confirmed flu cases. Nearly half are in the Salt Lake Valley Health District, with 56 cases, and 36 cases are in Summit County. Others are scattered around the state.

During a briefing about swine flu to lawmakers Wednesday, Sundwall didn't mention the death, but did warn legislators that "we are in the relatively early phases of an unfolding epidemic or pandemic."

He said he was troubled by what he called "flu fatigue. It is not bogus. It is not trumped up. It is not false. It is real."

And state epidemiologist Robert Rolfs told lawmakers, "We need to be ready for it to do something unexpected."

Link

so it continues... and no health conditions - interesting.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Swine Flu Closes More Schools as Worldwide Cases Exceed 10,000
NYC Emergency Departments Report Patient Surge; Flu-Related Visits Moderate Elsewhere
www.abcnews.go.com...

US: Another Arizona swine flu death reported (updated)
crofsblogs.typepad.com...

Europe may be blind to swine flu cases
www.newscientist.com...

EUROPE might have more H1N1 swine flu than it knows. The virus could be circulating widely but not being spotted simply because people are not being tested.
More at Link...

Kansas Juvenile Jails Prepare For H1N1 Flu Outbreak
www.kake.com...

Monroe County confirms second case of swine flu
www.democratandchronicle.com...

Official: Closing school with 8 swine flu cases made most sense
www.newsday.com...

Wellesley, Newton, Boston Schools Catch the Flu
bostonkayakguy.wordpress.com...

Panama Identifies 65 Confirmed Cases Of H1N1 Flu; No Deaths
www.easybourse.com...

Groups: Swine flu focus bad for other diseases
news.yahoo.com...

Garreton: 16 are now the confirmed H1N1 virus cases. The majority are confined to 2 schools but Health authorities cannot find the 0 contagion agent 6 minutes ago from web

[edit on 5/20/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I think we ought to push the ignore button on Hx3.......his info is too overwhelming........Just joking of course...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
its very interesting that the latest death, number 9 in utah, had no medical conditions and was a healthy 22 year old male. What excuse will they come up with now?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Since it's become such a huge point of contention, taking up two of the last three pages of the thread I'll address it one time and be done with it.

Yes, various foreign reps and state reps within the US have said in news articles "we are only testing critical cases because we are swamped" or in the case of Mexico "I'm stopping the count right here because the crisis is over" (on April 30th, by the way and the count has continued go up since then so maybe the crisis wasn't quite so "over).

Every quote I've seen has been framed in the reference of "we're backed up on tests and cannot keep up".

Not once has anyone said "The official policy in the entire nation from now on is to only test people being admitted into the hospital". I haven't seen a CDC daily briefing with this in it to date.

Even if I'm wrong and they have said it, the message did not get out to the public, clearly.

I don't care whose fault that is. I don't care if the public is too stupid or the government incompetent. The point is that at least in the US we have these taxpayer funded groups like the CDC who have a job to do which includes keeping the public informed.

They are not doing that job, period. In fact, they've gone out of their way to confuse the issue and for every "statement of truth" someone finds in the press there are a hundred others designed to convince people:
1. The flu is mild
2. The flu only kills people who are weak or sick
3. Don't worry, keep working and shopping

We've covered this a half dozen times and for some reason every time someone points out the games being played in the media we get the same group of people jumping in to post the same exact excuses. Over and over and over.

It's a distraction that makes for a great side discussion on intellectualism I suppose but I'm really not worried about that right now. I have bigger issues to keep an eye on.

I don't care if the majority of the US public are illiterate, non English speaking drop outs. That's the public who pays the taxes so that's who public groups like the CDC have a duty to educate. Do the job or get out of the way but don't lie to prop up the economy and risk my children's lives. The economy will recover.

If someone can't see that we have a huge cover up going on then I can't help them and honestly have no interest in trying. Go debate that issue somewhere else or with whoever is interested in spending time to convince you.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by novacs4me

Star for yuo, thanks for the answer to the 'how many ventilators in USA' question...

"Currently, there are 105,000 mechanical ventilators in the U.S., and on any given day, 75,000 to 80,000 are in use.4 An estimated total of 742,500 ventilators would be needed over the entire course of a serious flu pandemic similar to the Spanish flu pandemic.4 Additionally, since respiratory therapists typically manage mechanical ventilation, additional ventilators will not be helpful unless we can find the staff to operate them."

O.K., so following the current trend (confirmed cases have doubled in past 14 days), I wonder how soon on the calendar we would reach capacity on all these 105,000 ventilators. 105, 000 is a pretty small fraction of the total US population. So, at some point during a full-scale pandemic, unless I am reading this wrong, millions of Americans would be turned away unable to find an available ventilator. What alternate treatments are there, if any, when one cannot gain access to a ventilator. I know there's the DIY Ventilator posted earlier on this thread, what else? Anything?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

Europe may be blind to swine flu cases
www.newscientist.com...

EUROPE might have more H1N1 swine flu than it knows. The virus could be circulating widely but not being spotted simply because people are not being tested.
More at Link...

[edit on 5/20/2009 by Hx3_1963]

That has to do only with MONEY. If number of confirmed cases starts to rise too fast in Europe, there would be no excuse for the WHO to raise pandemic to PHASE6, what would spoil the timid recover in the financial marked that's going on in the last few days.

top topics

<< 410  411  412    414  415  416 >>

join