It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 416
<< 413  414  415    417  418  419 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

Thought I would ask.......How are you feeling now..??

I am feeling about 85% better......more energy........but my chest really hurts today........very little coughing, no fever

Looking forward to round three........NOT

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Regarding the Pneumonia vaccine.

I just ran across this at WebMD

You're right in that bacterial pneumonia is often one of the main things that kills people who have the flu (about 36,000 people die from the flu every year). Sometimes that bacteria is pneumococcus. Sometimes it's other bacteria, like staphylococcus. The pneumococcal pneumonia vaccine (more commonly known as just the pneumonia vaccine) would help if it's pneumococcus. However, many of those that have died from swine flu have died from viral pneumonia. This means that the swine flu virus itself is causing the lung infection and inflammation. Unfortunately, a pneumococcal vaccine wouldn't have helped in these instances.

So did I just waste my time getting the pneumonia vaccine?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by yzzyUK

ahh just do like the rest of us and put him/her on ignore..

fills up the thread with crap instead of getting real info..

wait, thats what i'm doing.. oops sorry all. *hangs head in shame*

I'm still here, although its a trick to keep up with this thread go away for 8 hours for work and come back and its loaded with pages and pages of info to digets..

Thanks to everyone for the great info.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Well, you'll still be more suspectible to a bacterial pneumonia too because this flu weakens and primes your immune system for other attacks for about 6 months after you are infected.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
Del. reports 2 dozen more swine flu cases
www.delawareonline.com...

So we've got a couple of dozen school aged kids here in Wilmington Delaware who have this .. and they are refusing to release the names of the schools.
I'm soooooo ticked off !!!!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Here we go AGAIN!!!!

State health officials report 1st swine flu-related death in Utah; man had medical conditions (Update 2)
www.39online.com...

2:17 PM MDT, May 20, 2009
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — State health officials are reporting the first death associated with swine flu in Utah.

David Sundwall, executive director of the Utah Department of Health, says a 22-year-old man with swine flu died Wednesday morning at a Salt Lake City hospital.

Sundwall says the man was overweight and had chronic medical conditions, including respiratory problems and other health issues, that would put him at risk.

Not including the Utah death, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports eight swine deaths in the United States.

The CDC says 47 states and District of Columbia have a combined 5,710 confirmed and probable cases.

Utah reports first flu-related death, nation's 9th
blogs.usatoday.com...

Swine flu cases climb, 'cluster' of cases suspected in Madison County
www.kentucky.com...

First Case of Swine Flu in Lubbock County Confirmed
www.myfoxlubbock.com...

Two more swine flu cases confirmed in Simcoe Muskoka jurisdiction
www.madhunt.com...

Nine more swine flu cases confirmed in Erie County
www.buffalonews.com...

Animals share bugs with us; it's called zoonosis
blog.syracuse.com...

Swine Flu Concern in U.S. Falls to New Low
www.gallup.com...

Swine Flu may have landed in city
www.thestatesman.net...

[edit on 5/20/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by joel1900
Regarding the Pneumonia vaccine.

I just ran across this at WebMD

You're right in that bacterial pneumonia is often one of the main things that kills people who have the flu (about 36,000 people die from the flu every year). Sometimes that bacteria is pneumococcus. Sometimes it's other bacteria, like staphylococcus. The pneumococcal pneumonia vaccine (more commonly known as just the pneumonia vaccine) would help if it's pneumococcus. However, many of those that have died from swine flu have died from viral pneumonia. This means that the swine flu virus itself is causing the lung infection and inflammation. Unfortunately, a pneumococcal vaccine wouldn't have helped in these instances.

So did I just waste my time getting the pneumonia vaccine?

It's a vaccine they recommend to healthcare workers during flu season specifically. From what we can tell quite a few of the long term flu victims developed secondary pneumonia which the vaccine will prevent. The cyto storm immune response is not really pneumonia, it's a faster issue that just happens to also produce liquid in the lungs. That's actually classified as pulmonary edema from what I've read.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Hx3.....I thought I would post one of your links below..

PRINCETON, NJ -- Even as the H1N1 virus -- aka "swine flu" -- continues to spread nationwide, with confirmed cases now reported in all 50 states, Americans' concern about contracting the illness has declined. Just 13% of U.S. adults now say they worried "yesterday" about getting this particular strain of flu, down from a high of 25% at the end of April and the previous low of 17% in the first week of May.

www.gallup.com...

We are a small minority here on this thread.........

[edit on 20-5-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Speaking of MRSA, even Reuters seems to be in on it, from yesterday evening:
Reuters

LONDON (Reuters) - Deadly pneumonia caused by so-called superbugs are spreading outside hospitals and represent a growing threat to the public, U.S. researchers warned on Wednesday.

Making the problem more worrying is the recent H1N1 flu outbreak because the "super-bug" pneumonia most commonly appears following an influenza-like illness, Alicia Hidron of the Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta reported.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky

Just 13% of U.S. adults now say they worried "yesterday" about getting this particular strain of flu, down from a high of 25% at the end of April ...

87% of my fellow americans are brainwashed sheeple who, I'm afraid, are in the running for the Darwin Award this fall. Those figures are pathetic!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
As I have said before on here, I work in healthcare and I only have a couple co-workers that have even given this a second thought. I am pleased that the head of our infection control unit is concerned and taking precautions, however, it is hard to implement precautions when the rest of the workforce don't see a need to be concerned.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
United States should increase its commitment to improving the health of developing nations, IOM report says
news-medical.net

Virus looms closer
www.fijitimes.com...

Brace for flu: WHO
www.fijitimes.com...

State education department will be 'flexible' with schools closed by swine flu fears
www.dailynewstranscript.com...

City: Stay Calm!
blogs.wnyc.org...

Researchers Uncover Mechanism That Allows Influenza Virus To Evade The Body’s Immune Response
www.newswise.com...

Mexican Cruise Stops Resuming
www.sandiego6.com...

Brazil Flu Cases Stable At Eight, Suspected Cases Decline
www.easybourse.com...

Public health officials ask Congress to provide more money to fight pandemic flu
www.cleveland.com...

Duck And Cover - H1N1 is Coming
media.www.lavalleystar.com...

First Confirmed Case Of Swine Flu In Florida Panhandle
www.wkrg.com...

Over 52? You may be protected from swine flu
www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Fishers HS student catches swine flu
www.indystar.com...

Pelham child diagnosed with swine flu
www.eagletribune.com...

Health officials watch for spread of swine flu
www.bclocalnews.com...

Flu Fears Cause Overcrowding In New York ERs
wcbstv.com...

Swine flu closes school
www.theage.com.au...

Swine flu comes to suburban classroom
www.canberratimes.com.au...

Update: The latest on swine flu in B.C.
www.vancouversun.com...

Evangeline, Louisiansa, USA: 2 confirmed casesSource: Louisiana Department of HealthDate: 20 May 200918 minutes ago from twitterfeed

Novel H1N1 flu situation evolves in Ottawa
ottawastart.com...

Flu bug hits Springbank schools
www.cochranetimes.com...

Number of schools closed due to flu symptoms climbs to six
news.bostonherald.com...=home&position=also

Swine flu suspect quarantined in Kolkata
www.thehindu.com...

sweetcarolinee1: ok so 20 8th graders went home because of the flu...not swine, but still pretty gross. hopefully this won't reach the rest of the grades :\ 11 minutes ago from web

arcaneamorous: Nerii thinks she has the swine flu virus.She's lying on my couch...next is the hospital.*hopefully...its not that. 11 minutes ago from web

DeePhunk: wants to give a shoutout to Long Island! Levittown to be specific. Apparently they have just trumped Queens as swine flu central. Yikes. 12 minutes ago from twhirl

DDFarms40475: my patient is now confirmed to have H1N1! Goin in for test tomorrow half a minute ago from web

Fourth Ohio State Student Has H1N1
www.10tv.com...

H1N1 arrives in Greece
www.sott.net...

MellieZa: 193 is Massachusetts big number for confirmed H1N1 cases 4 minutes ago from TwitterBerry

Association of Flight Attendants-CWA Testifies on Emergency Planning After Recent Flu Outbreak
ca.sys-con.com...

Bridgeport student contracts swine flu
www.connpost.com...

Flu Closes 2 More Queens School Buildings
cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
The Medium Is The Message

do you see the data, or do you see the medium?

Oh for goodness sake! The information might be widely available for all who care to find it but the point of THIS THREAD is for news and updates to be put in one single place, for those of us that don't have time to go searching. I'd also like to point out that not all countries have free internet access available.

The data might not be hidden but no-one should have to go searching for information. It should be being made clear to the public. However, as has already been suggested, that is another topic. It was also suggested that you start a thread about that topic.

Now can we please get back to the purpose of this thread which is to get news and updates all in one place.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by Maya00a]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
First swine flu death in Pima County
www.kvoa.com...

Severe H1N1 hospitalizes Alberta girl
Two new cases in Calgary
www.timescolonist.com...

8 year old in Hoboken reportedly has Swine Flu
hoboken411.com...

ttgreen: Ok this swine flu is getting WAY to close to home! What the hell is going on!? less than a minute ago from TinyTwitter

Don’t Panic, Be Prepared!
www.stjamesnews.com...

Two swine flu cases confirmed in Edinburg
www.themonitor.com...

5 new swine flu cases confirmed in Kentucky
www.kentucky.com...

Adults Older Than 52 May Resist Swine Flu, CDC Says (Update2)
www.bloomberg.com...

# H1N1 Flu Community transmission has already been reported in Scotland, and now there is confirmed transmission in Japan... (213 cases)1 minute ago from web

# H1N1 Exclusive Pandemic : Recombination will be optimal for avian flu called PB2 is optimal at 41 Celcius, the seasonal flu @ 34 Cabout 3 hours ago from web

Two new cases of swine flu in area
www.barrieadvance.com...

Influenza A (H1N1) Virus, 2009 — Online Monitoring
content.nejm.org...

Taiwan face masks reach Japan
www.etaiwannews.com...

H1N1 flu confirmed at Enterprise’s Coppinville Jr. High
www.eprisenow.com...

Plan is in place for quick detection of H1N1 virus: official
www.gulf-times.com...

Health Department Confirms 21 New H1N1 Cases
Total Number Of Cases Rises To 97
www.koat.com...

DPHSS: Half Of All Influenza Viruses Nationwide Now Believed To Be H1N1 Viruse
pacificnewscenter.com

Mandatory Flu Vaccines for Health Care Personnel on Agenda for SHRPC Committee
www.hanys.org...

More Flu Cases Confirmed
www.cjad.com...

Cochise County sees first confirmed case of swine flu
www.willcoxrangenews.com...

# WHO/OMS under Uk lobbying is waiting to go from level 5 to level 6 : The raising of the pandemic level to 6 is long overdue.6 minutes ago from web

# Flu underestimate in the USA :: Surveillance in the US detects about 0.1% of true cases H1N1, 1.5 million cases in the US alone ?8 minutes ago from web

# H1N1 Flu Community transmission has already been reported in Scotland, and now there is confirmed transmission in Japan... (213 cases)11 minutes ago from web

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Sorry if this has been posted previously:

US Officials Consider Bumping Up Flu Shot Season:

www.reuters.com...

They are gonna' PUSH these shots peeps!!! Without,of course any testing for effectiveness.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

# Flu underestimate in the USA :: Surveillance in the US detects about 0.1% of true cases H1N1, 1.5 million cases in the US alone ?8 minutes ago from web

Now there is a number i can actualy belive as close, it actualy matches our figures... hmm wonder if TPTB get there info from us ? ? *LOL*

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Teen becomes first Pima County H1N1 death (Update 1)
www.fox11az.com...

Melbourne brothers test positive to swine flu
www.weeklytimesnow.com.au...

Geary Co. Tallies Most H1N1 Cases So Far
www.wibw.com...

H1N1 cases increase in NM
www.krqe.com...

Polk County, Florida, USA: 1 confirmed case. Source: Polk County Health Department Date: 20 May 20094 minutes ago from twitterfeed

Cuba: Official Note
www.solvision.co.cu...

Students may not have to make up days lost to swine flu
www.boston.com...

Swine flu cases close schools
bexleytimes.co.uk

71 confirmed cases of H1N1 flu in Iowa
www.thonline.com...

Flu-Like Illnesses Spur Hundreds Of Absences; 6 Schools Close
Schools To Reopen Next Week
www.thebostonchannel.com...

Four flu cases at the jail.
www.princegeorgecitizen.com...

H1N1 At Lawrence University
www.nbc26.com...

New York’s First Flu Victim Was a ‘Wonderful Role Model’
www.forward.com...

CDC: At Least 50 Cases of Swine Flu Confirmed in U.S.
www.cybermed.it...

Influenza A (H1N1) Considered Mild Despite Being Contagious - Health DG
www.bernama.com...

Deadly Pneumonia Caused By Super-Bugs On Rise: Study
www.postchronicle.com...

WCC FEATURE: Amid influenza 'A' fears, health experts discuss longer term strategies
www.wfn.org...

PETA calls on Egypt to halt cull of pigs
business.maktoob.com...

Flu outbreak reveals military plans
Outbreak set U.S. military commanders scrambling
www.foxtoledo.com...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
So now someone is saying the numbers are off which we here at ATS have known all along. Does anyone remember the total of possible deaths in Mexico at the outbreak in late April? My thoughts are on the actual mortality rate from confirmed cases is also being reported low to keep the sheeple off guard. I think the mortality rate is as high as 2% but with no concrete numbers it is impossible to convince anyone.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Cases of H1N1 Flu Virus in Canada

As of May 20 2009, a total of 719 laboratory-confirmed cases of H1N1 flu virus have been reported in 9 provinces and 1 territory in Canada.

www.phac-aspc.gc.ca...

Canada has updated our confirmed cases, finally after 4 days of not reporting them. That's a jump of 223 cases since Friday May 15th.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by ZombieSlayer]

top topics

<< 413  414  415    417  418  419 >>

join