It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Wants Military Draft Reinstated

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I remember quite clearly receiving my draft letter, 1A plus my draft number was 95 and they drafted to 110. Had three choices, Canada, college or the military. Well I had no money honey so Canada and college were out of the question thus my only choice was the military. However, I still had a choice, enlist or be drafted and take my chances. I enlisted in the branch of my choice with the mos of my choice.

Can't complain, spent 26 years then retired, USAF. As for college, masters in engineering all thanks to Uncle Sugar. The draft is not the worst thing that can happen to you, it can therefore be a means to a far better future than you would have had otherwise. No one said you had to become a bullet stopper or canon fodder, be smart enough to choose your own destiny.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
While I think military conscription is operational insanity, I have for many years supported the proposal that in order to receive full citizenship rights [primarily voting], you would first be required to serve 2 years minimum in some form of service to the USA.

This does not have to be military but could be in public or social service.

I have real problem supporting USA citizens who demand all the privileges of a representative constitutional republic without contributing much to it's care and feeding.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
V
I
E
T
N
A
M

Theres... thats not a one word/ one line post now is it?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Bring it on....im here sitting reading these lazy posters post about conspiracies and im saying im in!

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I cant emagine listening to any of these fools telling to go and die, so they can get richer. If it were to come to it and my doughter was sent a draft notice. I would sure as hell send her to another country.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Threadfall
Rangel's proposed legislation on the draft is not meant to bring the draft back per se. It is, however, meant to be a political commentary...or even a satire. HIS proposed legislation is meant yo make a point...that the rich are absent in our current military...that the poor are our military backbone...HIS legislation is more bombast than ideology. Now, that's Rangel. As for others in our government...well, I'm sure there are more than a few who truly think that it'd be a wonderful idea.

I have heard Rangel state the same thing.

I dont post much because most have said what I want to say but in this case I have to chime in!
The draft was abolished mainly because of the backlash of Vietnam. With that stated and the war we are in now, you have to at least think that maybe there was another agenda to abolishing the draft.

I truly believe that our leaders knew there would be wars in the future exactly like what we have now in Iraq so if the people in the military were volunteers then nobody could complain about going to war.

If we never got rid of the draft I am pretty sure that a LOT of the controversial conflicts/ skirmishes we have been in since Vietnam may not have even happened. Certainly Iraq would not have even been a consideration because of the backlash from the public about us going to war there and drafting our young ones to go would have been a million times worse than in the Vietnam war.

The point is if we had a draft the opposition to the war in Iraq would be incredible. I served and loved it, however, if people were drafted for a war like Iraq there would be a lot of people changing their tunes really quick.

Instead of "we have to fight them over there" and "they have weapons of mass distruction (that were never found)" we would have parents that couldnt afford college for their kids going nuts. "Dont send my boy over there for oil" would be the most popular sayin among americans with children that got drafted.

I think we all need to really understand that this is what Rangel is trying to make every United States citizen think about.

Not trying to make anyone mad or Bush bash or anything like that. Just chiming in on what I think would happen if the draft was reinstated and why Rangel is pushing it.
I'm just sayin'.............

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
if you run, youre a coward, plain and simple. But hey, thats just one man's opinion.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by pstrron
I remember quite clearly receiving my draft letter, 1A plus my draft number was 95 and they drafted to 110. Had three choices, Canada, college or the military. Well I had no money honey so Canada and college were out of the question thus my only choice was the military. However, I still had a choice, enlist or be drafted and take my chances. I enlisted in the branch of my choice with the mos of my choice.

Can't complain, spent 26 years then retired, USAF. As for college, masters in engineering all thanks to Uncle Sugar. The draft is not the worst thing that can happen to you, it can therefore be a means to a far better future than you would have had otherwise. No one said you had to become a bullet stopper or canon fodder, be smart enough to choose your own destiny.

Thing is, the way things are going now, you don't get to choose. Guys who used to do maintenance, cooking, cleaning, repairs, etc. are getting rifles and being sent to the line for patrols in ambush-land, while "private contractors" do the jobs they used to do. Oh, you joined to learn electronics and get college money? Infantry! Wanted to work on helicopters? Infantry! Truck driver? Oh ho ho, you are so going to Infantry!

Our military's support functions have been systematically removed from direct military control and placed in the hands of private companies. I'm guessing it's an insurance policy against a military coup (hard to fight if you can't fix your own gear anymore, or move your own supplies).

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimuna26
if you run, youre a coward, plain and simple. But hey, thats just one man's opinion.

And it's wrong. But that's just my opinion. So, macho man, how many tours have you served?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Nighthawk

And it's wrong. But that's just my opinion. So, macho man, how many tours have you served?

I dont see where that comes into play. I am of the opinion that if, under law, it is required of males at the age of 18 to register for Selective Service, one should do that and respect the laws of the United States of America. If you do not respect the laws, then you are (A) a coward who is afraid to face confrontation and conflict, and (B) a felon and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. And for your info, i have never served any tours of duty, but i am registered for SS and would answer the call if the US government selected me. My relatives were drafted in WW2 and Vietnam, and i would do the same.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I have an idea. How about we just get rid of the military all together? How about we stop going to war? Hmm, unfortunately the USA is run by idiots. Maybe one day they will realize that going to war and funding a military operation to support it just epitomizes mankind's stupidity.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
thats not a very good idea.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
What I like is everyone screams, "Bush wants a draft for Iran!!!!!!", yet it's a Democrat that's always bringing this up in Congress.

Well, what I like is how everyone thinks there's this big difference between the democrats and the republicans. As soon as the American people start to realize that it's not a good guys vs bad guys thing, and that the party system is nothing but a huge distraction, maybe we can elect a real leader. Electing a party hasn't seemed to work too well.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jimuna26

While we're talking about one man's opinion, I'll offer mine.

In my opinion, a coward is someone who blindly does what they're told without questioning the morality, legality or constitutionality of what they're being told to do.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I dont see where that comes into play. I am of the opinion that if, under law, it is required of males at the age of 18 to register for Selective Service, one should do that and respect the laws of the United States of America. If you do not respect the laws, then you are (A) a coward who is afraid to face confrontation and conflict, and (B) a felon and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. And for your info, i have never served any tours of duty, but i am registered for SS and would answer the call if the US government selected me. My relatives were drafted in WW2 and Vietnam, and i would do the same.

It comes into play because you're cheerleading. You're cheerleading for a war that you don't have the guts to volunteer for, but are perfectly willing to call everyone else cowards for not wanting to fight either. If you support this war and think someone like me is a coward for not wanting to fight, then YOU, "good sir", should already have volunteered, put on your boots and sent your butt over there. If you were actually a soldier already, and/or had served or currently serving, then your accusation would hold a little more veracity. I'd think you're a little gung-ho nutso, but at least you'd be putting your money where your mouth is.

You can't call someone a coward for not wanting to fight in a conflict you yourself are not willing to volunteer for. That's what a chickenhawk does. Are you a chickenhawk? Or just a big fat turkey?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
i know ALOT of people who didnt sign up for the selected service. and im glad for those people.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
its not about volunteering, its about the law, and it appears that most of you have no respect for the laws. Oh, and by the way, if you believe in this NWO crap, you have left delusional and paranoia a long time ago and have stepped into the realm of dementia.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

While I totally respect your opinion and good intent I have to disagree. A big part of it is called bad parenting.I'm in my kids life daily and considering I was a screw up he can't pull a fast one on me. He's 14yrs old and is athletic,tough as nails on the honors list every semester and already knows what he wants to do and be (a surgeon).At 14 all I wanted to do was smoke weed and drink liquor.He's your typical 14 year old game playing girl chasing boy who I keep on track.So again,a majority is negligence on behalf of parents.

Now as for the draft.I'm 36 and wouldn't do balls for this country.I tried to join the military when I was 17 and they wouldn't accept me w/out a diploma.All of a sudden when they need people,they'll desperately take anyone.I have no problem protecting my family and anyone else in my vicinity but it's gonna be in my country,on my terms and I'm my own general.You want my son,come get him but I garuantee we will die defending eachother, the people we love and Ideals we believe in. You think I'm gonna allow my son to die for this country when they do nothing but rape us of our ideals and rights.My American heritage that I was taught and born into and raised by has been all but erased from my daily life.

So to those who want my son to die for the useless greedy P.O.S. who run this country,I say one thing.

After we're dead you can do whatever you want with our bodies.Dress them up,arm them fill them w/explosives and drop them on whatever you will but until then you can't have them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 3-4-2008 by 19DCW71]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   

its not about volunteering, its about the law, and it appears that most of you have no respect for the laws. Oh, and by the way, if you believe in this NWO crap, you have left delusional and paranoia a long time ago and have stepped into the realm of dementia.

Again, you claim to support the war, and you call people like me cowards for not wanting to fight--but you're not willing to fight in it yourself unless someone forces you. Chickenhawk.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

It is the responsibility of the people to defy unjust, unconstitutional laws. A concept being enacted as law does not make it right. Would you support a law requiring the "euthanasia" of mentally or physically handicapped individuals? Americans blindly following laws simply because they're laws effectively "euthanizes" the very concept of being an American.

To put an end to the brainwashing which has effectively disabled your higher thought process, set the power switch on your television to the off position.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join