It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Wants Military Draft Reinstated

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
So, we're getting close to another election and you have Democratic Congressman Charles Rangel try to reinstate the draft.

This also happened during the last election and then many people stated that the Republicans wanted to start the draft.

To me this just seems like a political trick.

For the record, I think that both of the major parties pull these kinds of tricks.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I don't mind a draft...i rather fight for freedom to go on

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED
November 28, 2006
Congress to Ponder Conscription?
by Rep. Ron Paul

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
If you want a war go to war, do not expect to be drafted. Maybe you want some women from the other country, or some stuff, or you just like the war and killing, arm yourself find some friends who think the same and go to war

Why wait for a draft, maybe you are afraid of death and want safety in numbers, or want to be able to think you are doing it for a good cause ? I do not like to judge anybody, but some replies here remind me of Germany and Hitler. Their economy was down, they had no purpose , good thing Hitler came and gave them one

I do not say to not defend your country, just that you are not under attack at the moment. The only end to the "war on terror" is the NWO : everybody monitored about what he does, wherever on the planet he is. Before that there will be a population reduction of course. Famine, war, "they" will find ways

[edit on 3-4-2008 by pai mei]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ruggeder
I see alot of people on here pro draft, pro war. I notice that there not in Iraq now, since there posting. If you were really pro war and killing, you would be there killing, not here pretending your something your not.

Hate to break this to you, but ATS and internet access is available in the AOR. I posted here when I was deployed.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
If they stopped invading people for bollocks reasons and personal gain then maybe it wouldn't be an issue :/

Originally posted by adkchamp

Good luck fighting your own government... the real terrorists.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by GhostR1der]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
What I like is everyone screams, "Bush wants a draft for Iran!!!!!!", yet it's a Democrat that's always bringing this up in Congress.

Bush does not support a draft, the draft is a Democratic idea. I've heard that Barack Obama would support bringing back Selective Services as well.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Yea thats totally what we should do. Force people to do even more things they dont want to do. Only this time, just for fun, one choice could require death! YEAH. My kids do not need to serve their government by force because others do not know how to behave. Good lord, we are going to destroy ourselves as a whole yet. When someone can make a statement like I quoted and get more support than any other post, it makes my stomach turn. NO human should have the power to tell another human "well you can go into the army, maybe die, or you can join the peace corps and go to war torn nations and maybe die." *snip*

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541
It's quite simple really. If an armed conflict is just and warranted, there will be no need for a draft. For instance, if we were facing unprovoked invasion by a hostile nation, I'd be as close to the front of the enlistment line as I could possibly get.

This war is unjust, illegal, and unsupported by the American people, hence, the shortage of volunteers. Americans have never hesitated to die for their country, but we are a little less enthusiastic about killing and dieing to line the pockets of a corrupt political machine that does not server the people.

Ever heard of problem-reaction-solution?

What if the threat to American "national security" is nothing more than a CIA false-flag operation, like 9/11?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

I really wonder how you can lump video games in your listing of America's "evils". Not to mention, you have some seriously unstable individuals in this country, that would gladly choose death over military or public service. Also you would get a lot of people who wouldn't want to be in the military serving, now if you have ever been in a military situation, you would never want someone serving with you that doesn't want to be there.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimuna26
if you run, youre a coward, plain and simple. But hey, thats just one man's opinion.

And if you go in knowingly and support a profiteering, cowardly, war mongering government killing civillians and army enlisters like yourself in baseless wars of terror, draining the funds of taxpayers and creating profits for evil companies and the PTB who often have their finger in the pie.

- You are harming your people and the real America, not helping. You are not fighting for freedom. You are not 'fighting for democracy' (what a stupid sentence that is anyway...).

My 2c.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by GhostR1der]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by adkchamp

You haven't known freedom so what is it you propose go on.

No man is more hopelessly enslaved than he who believes himself to be free - sound familiar?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bgaty
reply to post by mrwupy

Well that pretty easy for you to say, im assuming that your far from the drafting age. I love how people generalize an entire generation for being lazy and druggies when only a minority are to blame. Sure there are lazy kids, but haven't there always??
"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for
authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer
rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents,
chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their
legs, and are tyrants over their teachers." Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

If anyone is to blame its the previous generation who did a poor job raising them. I do agree that people kids need more discipline, but do you think a draft will do anything other than cost more american lives? You can sit behind your keyboard and preach all you want, but unless your within the age to be drafted you really hold no respect from me
. Can i ask you a few questions? have you ever been to war? were you ever drafted? Maybe you have, and maybe you were drafted for Vietnam, but all im trying to say is that you might mean well, however ill be damned if im drafted and taken out of college to fight in a war that was wrong to begin with.

No, I was not drafted or serve in the military. My son was in the National Guard and my daughter is stationed at Fort Campbell right now and will go to Afghanistan later this year.

All I'm saying is children that are raised with no expectations of them will have no expectations of themselves.

As adults we should make them make choices that will lead them into productive choices for their lives.

Service to their country, to humanity, to the higher good of every human being is something we should demand of them. I didn't say they had to serve in the military. I said they should be made to make a choice between college, the Peace Corp, or get drafted..

Letting them lay around and get stoned or do nothing with their lives isn't working.

As the adult generation, it's a debt we owe the up and coming generation.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Congress Wants Military Draft Reinstated-

Okay- I will support this draft under the following conditions:

A. No age limit for the draft.

B. Congress members must go first to don the uniform (even if they previous served). They must also be in the "suck" or on the front lines- regardless of skills. So too must all of their children and children's children.

C. No crying or whining or trying to get out of it or any special treatment- PERIOD.

Then I would be happy to sign up.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dk3000
A. No age limit for the draft.

Dude, there has to be a cap on age limit. I don't want to have to fight alongside grammy and grampy!

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
correction-edit.

[edit on 5-4-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lunchman
removed quote

Why are you busting this guys chops over registering for SS? Hey, he registered and said he'd serve if he were drafted. Nothing wrong with that.

If someone doesn't want to register, that's cool, too. Just remember the consequences of your actions.

Mod Edit- removed quote.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
One thing I think most have forgotten here is that if you get drafted, you can always tell them you're a Conscientious Objector and serve as a medic.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

That's funny. When I read about people dodging the draft and whatnot, I always remember:

And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. --Isaiah 2:4

I'm sick of Rangel. I'm sick of Congress. I'm sick of this administration. I'm sick of everyone killing each other. And I'm sick of religious texts getting dragged into arguments like this (though I'm well aware that I'm currently participating in my own criticism). You can almost always find an opposite point (take for instance, Joel 3:10 versus Isaiah 2:4).

As for the conscientious objector/medic thing... When some teenager gets his head blown off while trying to stop his buddy from bleeding to death on the battlefield, it won't seem like quite the consolation prize, will it?

/tn.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by teleonaut]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by teleonaut
As for the conscientious objector/medic thing... When some teenager gets his head blown off while trying to stop his buddy from bleeding to death on the battlefield, it won't seem like quite the consolation prize, will it?

Well, you got a point about that. Seems like everyone freaks and geeks about having to fight; at least as a medic, you're there to help.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join