It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mike Pence’s NFL Walkout Was a Cheap, Transparent Stunt (at a cost to the taxpayer)

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: GuidedKill

originally posted by: matafuchs
Respect for the office of POTUS.

Tell you what. When this POTUS starts showing respect for that office I'll consider it.

Why do you even care about our President or our NFL?

If your politics didn't affect my country I wouldn't care but it does. As to the NFL been a fan for almst 40 years.

Shouldn't you be concerned with Justin Trudeau

I am.

and the CFL??

I prefer real football.

So let me get this straight, over paid cry babies in the NFL not standing for another countries flag directly affects Canada? Wow I knew you guys were a little soft but I never knew some jerk not standing for another countries anthem would have such dire affects on the Nation of Canada.

Are you guys issuing a national emergency, or issued an emergency broadcast telling all Canadians to conserve Labatt Blue beer and Maple syrup in case of national shortages? Has the 100 active military members of the Canadian Army mobilized just incase there is an attack on Canadian Soil in relations to this Canadian National Emergency??

Are you that dense? If so I guess the time it took to write that post was worth it to you.

Do you care to elaborate how the NFL players not standing have directly affected Canada? Maybe this is an international crisis in the making!!!!

I could but I'd use high school level communication and I hate explaining myself to "people".

I sure would love to hear the explanation on how NFL players not standing for the American Flag affects Canadians!! Enlighten me ole wise one!!!

Why do you even care about our President or our NFL? Shouldn't you be concerned with Justin Trudeau and the CFL??

"OR" denotes two separate issues. Not the president AND the NFL. The rest of your reasoning is pointless. Now do I have to explain that in smaller words?

So you don't have a valid point of even a basic explanation on how this affects you???

So basically everything you have said in the thread is pointless.....Sweet!! Thanks for the contributions!!

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

The freedom of other human beings, to act in protest without being censored, regardless of what contractual obligations they may be beholden to, is important to any person on this Earth who values their liberty, because to value liberty at all, is to value what liberty remains to any citizen, of any country on the entire planet.

It would even matter if you and your country were on the moon.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
a reply to: AboveBoard

You've decided what the counter-protest is about, but when others decide that the players protest is disrespecting the country you don't accept it.

So we've got protesters and counter protesters. Why not counter protesters for thew counter protest?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
all NFL teams should stay in the locker room until after the national anthem is played.....the fans can do what ever they want, and NFL players will not be involved politically.....the public is being played by trump, he wants you fighting your neighbor in almost every utterance he makes. he is so utterly disqualified to be a president, he should have been impeached the first week for violation of the constitution, which he swore to uphold.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Closed so all can read this.

This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite political debate will be enforced.
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!
edit on Mon Oct 9 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: reopened at 2:07EDT

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I wonder how many people who stated things like "Just do your job!" and " A football game isn't a place for politics!" are applauding Mike Pence for this little bit of political theater.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
V.P. Pence's trip was well worth the money. It got the publicity, and delivered results.

After Dallas Cowboy owner Jerry Jones got wind of what V.P. Pence did, he told his selfish millionaire players that, going forward, either they stand up for the Anthem, or not play in the game.

And you are ok with those results?

Personally I don't think it's ok for a sitting President to try and bully teams into forcing players to stand during the playing of the national anthem. You don't see the problem with that? I guess supporters of Trump won't have a problem with Trump going against what this country stands for, until he takes away some rights that are important to them.

I wonder how long it will be until say.. Jehovah Witnesses are not allowed in the stadium to watch games unless they also agree to stand for the anthem. The "leave the game" theatrics was simply another maneuver by Trump to try and bully teams into complying with what he thinks is right.
edit on 9-10-2017 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

are you ignoring the fact that pense's little tantrum cost tax payers a hell of a lot of money. considering there are areas in this country devastated by hurricanes don't ya think it was a little.. childish, desperate, divisive?

par for the course with this administration.

edit on 9-10-2017 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

Yes, I am.

It is odd that so many of you have forgotten when a POTUS has stepped in for National Sports. In the last 20 years EACH sitting POTUS has stepped in either to prevent a strike or during arbitration for contracts for a new season in baseball, basketball and football.

So, it is ok to work to assist the owners to make sure they can make their money but when a POTUS steps in to make sure the country is respected everyone flips out.

and as you stated...how is Trump doing anything wrong by wanting to install love of country into the mix in a time when our country is so split.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

What sucks is he could not enjoy a football game without someones own ideology affecting it. This was a long planned trip. it was not just a side trip. He knew he was going to have to leave but what do you do?

Not show up so the media can say the players won

or

Show up and leave and called out.

Either way it was a lose/lose for him and it is a real shame.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

That's nothing compared to the taxpayer money the NFL gets every year

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
But whey does anyone care if an NFL player protests during the national Anthem?

Would you be mad at me if, I took a knee at a little league game if they played the anthem, because I was protesting something and would you walk out on that game too?

Snowflake alert!

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

lol

ya, it's a real shame pense didn't "get" to stay for the game.

bless his little heart in two.

how do you feel about the cost of his little jaunt? why didn't he cancel if he knew he was going to leave anyway - hell, that's even worse.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

It was staged. You fell for it.

Wag the dog.

MAGA

But don't fix any real problems. Just make the divisions worse.

A real leader would have said OK guys. I will join you in your fight for equality before the flag ceremony bit you have to stand with the flag with me during the anthem..

Instead we have a guy micromanagement over bs, and altering the market for HIS ideology.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Now you know both sides are equally bad.

Is this a thread where you get all mad and expect the rest of us to defend hypocrisy?

Beer summit anyone?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

He sure can pick and choose what to get patriotic over.
A symbol: The flag or a statue of any confederate soldier. Or a song: the national anthem.
But not a person a genuine hero like John McCain.
Or to honor the Gold star family of a fallen hero. Khizr and Ghazala Khan,
Or the CIA agents that made the ultimate sacrifice. When he stood in front of that wall and lied and boasted.

He can't really relate to people as much as things. I think he was bought as a child and this is what he values.
Things, not people.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Yes it certainly has. Lol.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: knoxie

What sucks is he could not enjoy a football game.

The enjoyable part of a football game is the anthem?

You act like they sang "Death to America" and the ISIS national anthem instead.

The attitude towards those who 'protest' is extremist.

Do you know what projection is? A common idiom involved with it is "be careful what you wish for".

You fabricate your own enemies into existence with hypocrisy. And then the real adults have to deal with them, while burping you and removing your bib.

A common word is divisionious, and polarizing for this type of behavior. These grievances aren't because you're 'recruiting' and it's against 'our sides propaganda'. It's literal complaint that because of the extremist Right, groups like Antifa and BLM are exaggerated now too and more dangerous than they needed to be or ever should have been. You're rude to everyone that exists, and not just you, but everyone, is now mean because of it.

It's not your place to care what others do with their 'flag worship time'. Just like in a school setting, that allotted time is 'free time' for everyone, deal with it. I used the restroom in school during the anthem before, and during football games. In school as a kid, teachers instructed us that it is against the law for us to be forced to pledge, and that it was of our own accord. This felt like a special task as a child, and as some even at a young age would come to find reasons to protest, others would be fueled by natural responsibility to pledge. Remove the free nature of honoring the flag, and the gesture is a pointless one other than for gestapo tactics.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

The only reason he went was so he could get up and leave.
Trump made his little lap dog sit up and roll over. Ain't he cute?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

But not a person a genuine hero like John McCain.

I just vomited in my mouth a little reading that.

It doesn't make you a hero to have someone shove a gun in your hand and sic you on innocent people in a foreign nation. The guys acting as human shields as a parade of bullets rained down on them in Las Vegas...THOSE are heroes.

in general at some comments I have seen: I see a lot of folks who make mention of the financial status of the NFL players. I have to ask you: do you feel that them being wealthy means they owe something? Are we angry at them protesting something? Their wealth? Their skin color? What, exactly, are people angry about?

Should we have mandatory patriotism instituted in the US? Or should only the wealthy be required to be patriotic? Or is it only when people are on TV they should?

None of this makes sense. It feels so much like people are really unaware as to how much they are being manipulated here.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join