It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mike Pence’s NFL Walkout Was a Cheap, Transparent Stunt (at a cost to the taxpayer)

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I kind of agree. It's a little silly to walk out, seems like a kindergarten move.

That said, the money isn't really an issue. Don't view it as $200k on a game. It's money spent to drive home a political point. Happens all the time.

Forget that nonsense about feeding the poor. That was never in the cards, it's an empty talking point and transparently so.

They're basically fighting over culture and so far winning.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

And how much was spent on things like securing the stadium? Estimates I've seen put Pence's publicity stunt at costing the American taxpayers over $1 million.

Do you really believe that?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

What do you estimate?

Free on the accord of legal concealed carry good samaritans?

How much do you think a single person is paid to consider taking a bullet for another man?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

With that said...some of the NFL rules changes are making the game anything but "football". The targeting call, in particular, is being misused and miscalled pretty frequently. If I stop watching football, it won't be because of politics. It'll be because playing football safely isn't that fun to see.

I start at 1/2 time...almost zero commercials for the whole game.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
No seriously how much folks? Any ideas? Maybe one of the former Tea Party members on this great forum of ours can come out and give us a guesstimation? Taxed enough right? Small government right?

The first sign that Pence’s scurrying-off was staged: these were the San Francisco 49ers that the Colts were playing. The 49ers have been protesting racism during the anthem for over a year. Led by safety Eric Reid, the first player to kneel with Colin Kaepernick over a year ago, the 49ers are the team you’d pick if you wanted to fake outrage about someone peacefully protesting police brutality. Peter Alexander of NBC News tweeted almost immediately, “Reporters [accompanying Pence] were told to stay in van bc ‘there may be an early departure from the game.’” In other words, in advance of the anthem, Pence was planning to show up and then leave.

Then the veep’s own publicly available schedule tripped him up. That morning, his team let it be known that Pence would be at a California fundraiser by 6:30pm. The plane was gassed up and ready to go.

www.thenation.com...

edit on Mon Oct 9 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed quote Quote Crash Course

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I could never do that...

Because I would have missed three touchdown passes in the first quarter by Wentz and I am too cheap to have tevo.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: GuidedKill

The freedom of other human beings, to act in protest without being censored, regardless of what contractual obligations they may be beholden to, is important to any person on this Earth who values their liberty, because to value liberty at all, is to value what liberty remains to any citizen, of any country on the entire planet.

It would even matter if you and your country were on the moon.

Really? So what you are saying that even while on the clock of your employer there should be zero censorship to your actions? What company do you work for... As an employer I can tell you when to work, what to wear, what to say, what attitude you need and so on. You can quite and I can fire...all is good.

The VP has every right too to express his opinion and that is what he did here. Do I agree with his actions, not really, do I care, not really.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Because I would have missed three touchdown passes in the first quarter by Wentz and I am too cheap to have tevo.

Tevo is sooooo I don't know 2000s hehe. You watching on non-cable? Hell get a Amazon fire stick for 40 bucks since it seems you have internet.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: NotTheCIA

What do you estimate?

How much do you think a single person is paid to consider taking a bullet for another man?

What is the daily average rate for the VP...start there...I see it as a non-issue money wise. Was it setup, yep, is the White House demonstrating their continued displeasure, yep. With much of America leaning in the direction that everyone should stand or not participate at all I'm thinking this was a good move as Trump plays with the media.

link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Tevo is sooooo I don't know 2000s hehe. You watching on non-cable? Hell get a Amazon fire stick for 40 bucks since it seems you have internet.

I do have Internet and by golly this last game I did in fact hook up my computer to my receiver. I was just being silly.

I have literally never turned on or at games made a special effort for the pledge.

When I have stopped watching football it was for Donovan McNab giving up when he was 7 in the hole beyond the 3rd quarter. It was like watching my 14 year old mow the grass when it's hot.
edit on 9-10-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

link   
Boycotting the NFL won't kill Football.

I'd consider this thought the Right eating itself.

Canadians have Football.

The sport itself is international, merely house in America for your convenience. There have been several competitor leagues to the NFL, college football even viewed as a competitor in some aspects.

If you want to see your stadiums closed and the NFL disenfranchised, by all means keep boycotting. It won't kill football, or even remove it from TV though.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

What do you estimate?

What is the daily average rate for the VP...start there...I see it as a non-issue money wise.

Ok, I'll start there. 156k/365=$400. Was that supposed to be impressively large? Only $999,600 left to account for.

link   
Here's an article everyone needs to read! From a very reliable source. Get a grip on what's really happening here.

www.theatlantic.com...
reply to: Southern Guardian

link   

Boycotting the NFL won't kill Football.

I'd consider this thought the Right eating itself.

Canadians have Football.

The sport itself is international, merely house in America for your convenience. There have been several competitor leagues to the NFL, college football even viewed as a competitor in some aspects.

If you want to see your stadiums closed and the NFL disenfranchised, by all means keep boycotting. It won't kill football, or even remove it from TV though.

Reduced viewers will lower profit for the owners and that is where it would hurt. It seems Jerry Jones has told his team, "stand or not play" I guess the Cowboys will stand...hehe

edit on 9-10-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: NotTheCIA

The money is insignificant, except from the perpective of not being conservative.

The real issue is it was a cheap stunt. Not the first or last to be done in politics but cheap and a stunt no less.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Yes, but profit loss is always dealt with in the same way, not productively, even if forcing them to stand was productive, that is not how they will amend it.

The angriest the owners will get is as angry enough to PAY them to stand. Do you see the difference?

It will just disenfranchise everything, and cause what a Boycott would normally cause, not what you 'think' it 'might' cause.

Then people will watch another league. Do you recall how the World Football League ended? Be careful what you wish for; the end of the NFL could be over a month just like any other league.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeastheDay
Here's an article everyone needs to read! From a very reliable source. Get a grip on what's really happening here.

www.theatlantic.com...
reply to: Southern Guardian

I don't disagree. However the article isn't really neutral it's political. It's doesn't tell the whole tale.

I could say building a 100k person football stadium and paying a coach more than the university president is a waste of money at colleges, if I didn't show the net fundraising from local, state, and federal taxes associates with the entire industry and merchandising. How much does the NFL give back?

Have to do a pro con and maybe it is con but this article was political editorial.

edit on 9-10-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This is a great example of liberal hypocrisy. Double the national debt then complain about a few hundred thousand dollars...

Typical...

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
This is a great example of liberal hypocrisy. Double the national debt then complain about a few hundred thousand dollars...

Typical...

If you think that's a liberal phenomenon maybe you should look at the last 6 presidents. Reagan started us off with a bang.

Aren't republicans the ones that every year harass Rand Paul for trying to balance the budget? Excuse me try and pass a budget that would eventually balance?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

a reply to: NotTheCIA

The money is insignificant, except from the perpective of not being conservative.

The real issue is it was a cheap stunt. Not the first or last to be done in politics but cheap and a stunt no less.

what I would like to see is all the black cowboy players, 5 minutes before the game, just walk back into the locker room, get dressed and leave......maybe all the players that are left, can take a knee and pray to god like they have done for years

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join