It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 51
<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: RespectfullyDisagree

Play "Raise the Strawman" with someone else, bud.

I've taken far more pains than I should with your nonsensical arguments and mind-reading.

I have a recommendation that may offer you a bit of solace, though I doubt it.

We have different opinions on this issue.

Again, that's all I have for you. I've dismissed your errors, pointed out your fallacies, and now, frankly, I'm bored.

You seem to like hearing your own words; enjoy that.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Whose time is right? I'm sorry this is the part that I do not get. I did not see a large contingent of black people denouncing them. In fact, the majority of protesters I saw, including the poor woman who was killed, were white. So this justification that is was slavery that is being protested it an excuse to push an agenda to remove historical reference from our country.

This is not a right or left issue. That is created by the media and the SAME elected officials that want to keep us divided to earn our votes or support.

To me, using racism as an excuse for anything in America ended on November 4, 2008. That was the day that ANY black father or mother can say to their child that you can grow up to be president because it actually happened. Hard work. Obama was not a connected person like the Bushes. When he was elected I truly hoped that it would be a way to eradicate things like what are occurring now in the present but it did not. He was in office no less than a few months and he was 'pointing out' that blacks and Hispanics have it harder in the US. Not equality. He was still stating, after elected president, that more has to be done. Wrong.

It was time to make our country unified and it never happened. Now, we have a old rich white guy as president and what, we are supposed to go further backward because the 'media' and groups like AntiFa want to 'oppose' our government. Realize they are opposing our government. We have elected officials saying they will not accept Trump as president. You can not like someone but you keep it to yourself because as an elected official you represent everyone. It causes more division.

At the end of the day, I would say 95% of America simply wants to work, raise families, take a vacation once in awhile and live life. We are giving into the hate by pointing it out.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

Whose time is right? I'm sorry this is the part that I do not get. I did not see a large contingent of black people denouncing them. In fact, the majority of protesters I saw, including the poor woman who was killed, were white. So this justification that is was slavery that is being protested it an excuse to push an agenda to remove historical reference from our country.

This is not a right or left issue. That is created by the media and the SAME elected officials that want to keep us divided to earn our votes or support.

To me, using racism as an excuse for anything in America ended on November 4, 2008. That was the day that ANY black father or mother can say to their child that you can grow up to be president because it actually happened. Hard work. Obama was not a connected person like the Bushes. When he was elected I truly hoped that it would be a way to eradicate things like what are occurring now in the present but it did not. He was in office no less than a few months and he was 'pointing out' that blacks and Hispanics have it harder in the US. Not equality. He was still stating, after elected president, that more has to be done. Wrong.

It was time to make our country unified and it never happened. Now, we have a old rich white guy as president and what, we are supposed to go further backward because the 'media' and groups like AntiFa want to 'oppose' our government. Realize they are opposing our government. We have elected officials saying they will not accept Trump as president. You can not like someone but you keep it to yourself because as an elected official you represent everyone. It causes more division.

At the end of the day, I would say 95% of America simply wants to work, raise families, take a vacation once in awhile and live life. We are giving into the hate by pointing it out.

It's fascism in general and it's also jews, cathokics, hispanics, Asians etc.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

If you were Jewish, would you worry about statues of Hitler where your child had to see everyday? Would that bother you?

If you were black, would statues of Lee and other s bother you?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

So the statues promote facism...or slavery?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Nope.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

No, because I would express to him that is the face of evil. There are those times in history that we have to rise up to face an evil. Comparing the Civil War to WW2 is just not a good comparison.

I'm a 2nd generation born here Irish Catholic. 60-70 years ago the KKK killed people like my ancestors. I hate the KKK. My great- grandfather fought Rommel in WW2 and 2 great uncles died as pilots in raids in Germany. I do not like Nazis. However, if I see one, I can point out that it as hate and call them a'holes. Show what you should not be.

I raise my children to be productive members of society but they need to know that it is not all unicorns and rainbows. There will be those who do not like you.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

What do you mean nope. I asked a question. You said ....

It's fascism in general and it's also jews, cathokics, hispanics, Asians etc.

So Asians want the removal of a statue of General Lee?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

If you were Jewish, would you worry about statues of Hitler where your child had to see everyday? Would that bother you?

If you were black, would statues of Lee and other s bother you?

It goes beyond this. I live here in Philly and they want to take down a statue of former Mayor Frank Rizzo. Just because he was a perceived, never a proven racist. Only because under his tenure he arrested a majority of black criminals. Never mind the fact they committed a majority of the crimes. This whole issue is getting f'n ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Racism ended with the election of Barack Obama?

Um, really?

Wow.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

No, do not take it out of context. I said...

To me, using racism as an excuse for anything in America ended on November 4, 2008. That was the day that ANY black father or mother can say to their child that you can grow up to be president because it actually happened. Hard work. Obama was not a connected person like the Bushes

As an excuse. Saying that you cannot get ahead or make something of yourself because of racism. Saying you are held back no matter your color or race. Damn, now I know how Trump feels when he means one think and people paraphrase it to mean something else.

Racism will never end. To think it will is a pipe dream. There were always be those who think they are better than some other race. Can we work to remove 99.9% of it but it will never truly go away.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

What context is needed?

You're saying that racism stopped being a factor (that's why you say it can't be used as an "excuse.")

Those are frankly just the same old rehashed arguments that Reagan immortalized as "Welfare Queens" ... you know the situation is not that simplistic.

"Opportunity is simply equal for everyone."

Horse pucks. You don't believe that. You can't.

Please don't compare yourself to Trump; I kind of like you, even though we disagree often.

No, of course, what we call racism will never end, but allowing it to influence our legal system, or businesses, etc. can be fought every day of our lives if needed. We can rise above our base instincts.

We don't do that by declaring that it's not an issue.

edit on 16-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Nothing is simple and I am not referring to Welfare Queens. It is the same as a white person saying that the black man holds him back and he cannot get a job. BS. Racism in the workplace should be fought. In the legal system. No place for it. But if you allow it to define you and use it as an excuse you will never get ahead. You simply give up. That is all I was after.

I am still very good friends with guys of many backgrounds other than white who made it out of some hard ass places growing up and made it. Did they have friends who did not, yes, but they did not accept the same values my friends did. Does hard work and doing the right thing sometimes not pay off? Yes, but again it is not an excuse to become what you hate and that is what I see in a lot of these anti=protesters. They are kids. They do not understand the real world yet. Hell, do you really think any of them have experienced the racism and hate that was immortalized during the civil rights movements? No.

I guess I was piggybacking on my other post about how when Obama was elected I was really hoping we would move forward as a country and we have not. I have 3 kids, one heading into the Navy and one just starting school and the world that has been provided to them scares the hell out of me to be honest.

good conversation as always...

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Wtf are you talking about.

The people who organized the rally were fascists. Read their philosophy.

“I’m sorta glad that them people got hit and I’m glad that girl died,” Moore told CBS affiliate WBTV on Tuesday.

“They were a bunch of Communists out there protesting against somebody’s freedom of speech,” he added. “So it doesn’t bother me that they got hurt at all.”

A leader from the organization that got the permit.
edit on 16-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
There is only 2 ways this is going to end, either by a civil war or martial law. Then these libtards can cry about no freedoms then.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkuniverse
There is only 2 ways this is going to end, either by a civil war or martial law. Then these libtards can cry about no freedoms then.

Maybe you should ask why conservatives haven't handled the situation. They could have been part of the conversation but chose to pretend there wasn't one to be had to pander the votes same as the libs.

But I do see the divide and conquer working.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: mkultra11

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: mkultra11

It's not about race. It's about local self determination.

Why do you and others want to dictate your will to the people of Charlottesville?

That was my point. It's local black citizens not being offended by the statue where they live. It's not about race to them, it's about historical context.

So, these "local Black citizens" speak for all the residents of Charlottesville?

That doesn't make much sense.

Where did I say they speak for all residents? You don't think these people's opinions matter on the topic because they are a minority in numbers and skin color? I see where you are coming from and that why you are struggling to make sense of it.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

So how are "conservatives" supposed to control a facist group like you said they are? Locked them all up? Kill them? What is your solution because most people ignore these assholes because that it what they are. That was not a conservative group who was leading the 'original protest'.
edit on 08pm31pmf0000002017-08-16T15:21:52-05:000352 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

No kidding. I am a conservative and anti nazi so I am not the other side a leftist lib.

SO are a great many people. Your certainly pushing them to be independent to label them as libs because they reject these scumbags.

edit on 16-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
a reply to: AuranVector

Remember it all started with the flag. They said "it's just a flag, we're not trying to erase history". Now they're moving on to monuments. Next it will be books.

Juan Cadavid organized a book-burning event with Brian Enright of the Three Percenters to be held at Huntington State Beach in California. The event was dubbed “Burning Degeneracy – CA,” but they have recently decided to cancel the event out of fear. According to The OC Weekly, the group advertised the Aug. 19 event by telling people that it was time to “purge their homes, State, and country of degenerate literature.” “This includes literature of Marxism, Communism, Bolshevism, literature with liberal, democratic tendencies/attitudes, and writings supporting the decline of Western Culture,” the event description read. “Books on sexuality and sexual education which serves to indoctrinate the life of degeneracy, such as Cosmo and Teen Vogue should be brought to the fire as well. We will also burn the Koran, publications such as Karl Marx, and more. We must create a future without degeneracy for our children.”

Not yet, anyways..

www.rawstory.com...

top topics

<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join