It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 49
<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: mkultra11

"A" unorganized group, of indeterminate number of individuals, that reads like only a handful of random people You make it seem like it's more than it is.
edit on 16-8-2017 by jordan77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: UnBreakable

Towns are choosing what statues go on their public lands.

Just like the towns chose to put those statues up in the first place.

You seem to be against local determination.

Is your "heritage" threatened by what some folks in another town choose to have in their parks?

Goodness.

So what's next? The SJWs tearing down statues of Goerge Washington and Lincoln and erecting new one's to their hero's Bruce Jenner and Rupaul?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: jordan77

"A" unorganized group, of indeterminate number of individuals, that reads like only a handful of random people You make it seem like it's more than it is.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with that first step, does it not?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

Is your "heritage" threatened by what some folks in another town choose to have in their parks?

Goodness.

So what's next? The SJWs tearing down statues of Goerge Washington and Lincoln and erecting new one's to their hero's Bruce Jenner and Rupaul?

LOL. So "SJWs" now expands to your supposed "enemies" in the LGBT community?

Wow.

I'd think that the literal groups that were originally called Social Justice Warriors would raise statues to Gloria Steinem or maybe even Margaret Sanger ... it's telling that you jump to people you think the LGBT community consider "heroes."

Washington holds a different place in US history than Lee or Stonewall Jackson does ... by any analysis.

He was a slave owner though. As was Jefferson. As was Lee.

I guess we'll see what people decide to do, eh?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

Goodness.

Rupaul?

Damn I feel old for recognizing that name.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Way to circumnavigate the question. Your lack of conviction and the ease with you alter your beliefs in what can only be described as a fair weather fashion only highlights the fact you should not be taken seriously.
Again, I point out the situational morality.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: RespectfullyDisagree

Way to circumnavigate the question. Your lack of conviction and the ease with you alter your beliefs in what can only be described as a fair weather fashion only highlights the fact you should not be taken seriously.
Again, I point out the situational morality.

Blatta blatta blatta ... you have a lot of opinions about me there and not much else.

If they take the statue down for whatever reason it becomes trash.

You are focusing on what you believe the reason to be and projecting your own "values" onto other people.

You're only pointing out that you're seemingly against the self-determination of the people of Charlottesville and their natural right to sell trash on the free market.

In short, you are talking about your opinions, nothing more. You don't speak for anyone's morals.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I'm not projecting anything. Simply pointing the inherent contradictions in your morale code.

By your logic everything in museums and galleries is trash then. They were all removed from their original places, yes.

If the town council truly cared about the people's opinions they would have put it on a referendum so all could vote on it and not base tyhe decision solely on there own personal beliefs.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: RespectfullyDisagree

They kind of did by electing the officials. Sometimes referendums are a way to pass the buck so they don't have to make a political decision.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I'm not projecting anything. Simply pointing the inherent contradictions in your morale code.

By your logic everything in museums and galleries is trash then. They were all removed from their original places, yes.

If the town council truly cared about the people's opinions they would have put it on a referendum so all could vote on it and not base tyhe decision solely on there own personal beliefs.

You don't know anything about my "morale" code or my moral one either.

No, everything in museums is not "trash" ... what a ridiculous statement.

The city is removing a statue. It will no longer be displayed. Their statements regarding the statue make it clear that they consider it refuse, trash, or at best, surplus goods.

You seem to think that the city, therefore doesn't have the right to sell that refuse, trash, or surplus goods to anyone who is willing to buy.

Your assignment of the statue being "hateful" ... is an irrelevant assumption on your part, as is what you deem rightful for Charlottesville to do with it.

Your estimation of my "morale" is ridiculous and of ZERO interest to me.

Come up with a cogent argument based on the facts or be ignored.
edit on 16-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Rumor has it that they are getting ready to go for Mt. Rushmore next.

Why? Not because of Washington, Jefferson or Lincoln... but because Roosevelt said this about immigration over 110 years ago.

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American … There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Rumor has it that most rumors are utter BS.

ETA: Interesting that you make the logical leap from racial issues to immigration. I believe David Duke sees things the same way.

edit on 16-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

It's not about race. It's about local self determination.

Why do you and others want to dictate your will to the people of Charlottesville?

That was my point. It's local black citizens not being offended by the statue where they live. It's not about race to them, it's about historical context.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Fact. The city is removing it because it is a symbol of hate. It was their assessment that it wa s hateful not mine. Fact. They tried to sell said object there by gaining profit from hate. Fact. You condone the sale there by offering insight into your morale code. Fact. You insisted that by removing a statue from its original place it is now trash. I simply pointed out the fact that museums house statue removed from there original places.

Those are the facts.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

ETA: Interesting that you make the logical leap from racial issues to immigration. I believe David Duke sees things the same way.

Exactly what are you going on about? Explain yourself. Or do you just feel like labeling someone as a Nazi?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
I wish that the extremists on both sides would be drowned out by rational voices, but I don't see it happening.

It's getting to the point where I wish that they'd just take both the far-left and far-right extremists to a field, provide them with melee weapons, and let them smash each other to dust like the rumble scene in The Outsiders.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit

Exactly what are you going on about? Explain yourself. Or do you just feel like labeling someone as a Nazi?

You babbled something about a rumor, I babbled back.

Your thought process reminded me of David Duke's public comments ... who always ties the issue of immigration to the issue of race.

I'm not sure I can make it much more clear than that .... which part was hard for you to understand, Pepe?
edit on 16-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: mkultra11

It's not about race. It's about local self determination.

Why do you and others want to dictate your will to the people of Charlottesville?

That was my point. It's local black citizens not being offended by the statue where they live. It's not about race to them, it's about historical context.

So, these "local Black citizens" speak for all the residents of Charlottesville?

That doesn't make much sense.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

It wasn't my "thought process" that came up with this rumor, it's stuff like this that is being posted all over social media.

Cambridge Antifa on Twitter: Mt Rushmore is a product of the Pre-Civil Rights Era and a National Embarrassment. A Barbaric Relic. It's gotta go.

And exactly where did I mention anything about race? I talked about Mt. Rushmore and posted a quote that is being shared all over social media by radical leftists. You need to get those TDS symptoms under control pal.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Fact. The city is removing it because it is a symbol of hate. It was their assessment that it wa s hateful not mine. Fact. They tried to sell said object there by gaining profit from hate. Fact. You condone the sale there by offering insight into your morale code. Fact. You insisted that by removing a statue from its original place it is now trash. I simply pointed out the fact that museums house statue removed from there original places.

Those are the facts.

The object symbolizes hate and that's why Charlottesville is taking the statue down? I don't suppose you have a source for that do you?

But, the reason for the removal is really of no moment here.

When the hateful statue is removed from the park ... what is it then? Trash or surplus goods. Take your pick.

Does its very material radiate this hatred you're so concerned about? Do you think everyone everywhere will look at the statue and feel hatred? You seem to be imbuing this statue with magical powers ...

The city has surplus goods. Some people have expressed great love for these surplus goods. Are you saying that because you think the statue represents hate (if you don't, your whole argument is specious) it should be what ... destroyed?

What do you want to force the City of Charlottesville to do with their surplus goods, chief?

I condone the free market; apparently, you do not.

Your interpretations of my "morale" are your own ... that's why I mentioned projection.

new topics

top topics

<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join