It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Teikiatsu

So a communist tore down the statue.

Well, communists aren't known for their love for freedom, free expression.

So this censoring, book-burning bitch was only doing what she was trained to do.

*shrug*

Throw the book at "the peoples bitch".

Yeah, who does she think she is?

Speech is only free when you say it is right chief?

Always good to see a core authoritarian in full outrage.

Speech is all fine and good. Ms. Thompson has full right to redress of grievances without fear of government repercussion.

But she broke laws to deface and destroy public property because a hunk of metal and concrete hurt her feelings. She does not have the unalienable right to that activity.

Not really equivalent.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

You admitted you're in favor of secession ... was that a peaceful process the last time it was tried?

Allow me to rephrase: you can't stand up for your own well-documented beliefs.

Alas, you are not the topic of this thread. Nice back-handed ad hom though. Props for that.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

So this censoring, book-burning bitch was only doing what she was trained to do.

*shrug*

Speech is all fine and good. Ms. Thompson has full right to redress of grievances without fear of government repercussion.

But she broke laws to deface and destroy public property because a hunk of metal and concrete hurt her feelings. She does not have the unalienable right to that activity.

Not really equivalent.

Right, and the anger being expressed that I responded to (not yours, btw) was only at the defacement of public property.

Yes, I usually call for the imprisonment of "that bitch" because she defaced a statue. What is that, a misdemeanor?

Sure, why not. Lock her in chains and throw away the key.

Pfft.
edit on 15-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

ETA:

North Carolina
The destruction of property crime in North Carolina is written as Will full and Wanton Injury to Property. If the prosecution has probable cause to believe you willfully and wantonly damaged, injured, or destroyed any property (whether public or private), you could be charged with Willful and Wanton Injury to Property in the North Carolina Criminal Courts.

Willful and Wanton Injury to Property is a Class 1 misdemeanor which carries a potential sentence of up to 1 year in jail.

Link

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I believe because it was state property it is a felony.

The Atlantic article said she is facing misdemeanor and felony charges.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

You admitted you're in favor of secession ... was that a peaceful process the last time it was tried?

Allow me to rephrase: you can't stand up for your own well-documented beliefs.

Alas, you are not the topic of this thread. Nice back-handed ad hom though. Props for that.

Never said I was the topic. You chose to call me out and I responded. I fully expect the mods to delete this conversation.

p.s. The secession itself was very peaceful, handled by standard voting procedures. It was the US federal government that made it into a war by denying states the right to secede. If they had allowed it to be determined constitutional or not in the SCOTUS first, cooler heads may have prevailed and defused the issue. Personally I think the Confederacy and Union would have joined back together in due course once the South saw how successful and prosperous the North was without slave labor.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   

You responded by saying that you were for secession (as opposed to insurrection) but that you abhor violence.

That's simply absurd on its face, not to mention, hardly a fair summary of your position 2009-2017, or that of others here who routinely spoke of a "tyrant" in the White House and the need to overthrow the Federal government. However, you're correct, it is out of place.

Mods gonna mod. They'd be right to delete this garbage.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Since it was an organized activity by the Workers World Party, just have them pay to restore/replace the statue as well as pay for it to be moved to a museum. It could be replaced with a Founder from NC... that owned slaves at one time or another.

Because.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

I believe because it was state property it is a felony.

The Atlantic article said she is facing misdemeanor and felony charges.

Hmmm ... perhaps. I did only pull the NC law, not the actual charges filed.

And, I'm not an attorney.

And, I know hatred expressed when I hear it, particularly at some "Communist bitch."

That said, violence and property damages are crimes and should be punished.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Since it was an organized activity by the Workers World Party, just have them pay to restore/replace the statue as well as pay for it to be moved to a museum. It could be replaced with a Founder from NC... that owned slaves at one time or another.

Because.

Because violence and property damage (violence against things) is wrong, and illegal, and should be punished.

No issue from me on that score; I've been saying it all day.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

*shrug*

Not really equivalent.

Right, and the anger being expressed that I responded to (not yours, btw) was only at the defacement of public property.

Yes, I usually call for the imprisonment of "that bitch" because she defaced a statue. What is that, a misdemeanor?

Sure, why not. Lock her in chains and throw away the key.

Pfft.

ETA:

North Carolina
The destruction of property crime in North Carolina is written as Will full and Wanton Injury to Property. If the prosecution has probable cause to believe you willfully and wantonly damaged, injured, or destroyed any property (whether public or private), you could be charged with Willful and Wanton Injury to Property in the North Carolina Criminal Courts.

Willful and Wanton Injury to Property is a Class 1 misdemeanor which carries a potential sentence of up to 1 year in jail.

Link

Correct me if I am wrong, but if it was listed in the National Register as a historic monument, then that is within federal jurisdiction. That might be the mention of the felony charge.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

We did.

that's why the bitch was arrested.

LOL.

That was my point, chief.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Indeed.

I have already accepted the correction. I only looked at NC law.

Your point is well-taken; I was, perhaps, mistaken.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

You responded by saying that you were for secession (as opposed to insurrection) but that you abhor violence.

That's simply absurd on its face, not to mention, hardly a fair summary of your position 2009-2017, or that of others here who routinely spoke of a "tyrant" in the White House and the need to overthrow the Federal government. However, you're correct, it is out of place.

Mods gonna mod. They'd be right to delete this garbage.

Putting more words in my mouth. I do not abhor violence, but that doesn't mean I advocate for it. We all have the right to self defense, and that can get pretty violent depending on the attacker.

You seem unable to separate secession and civil war. That's something you'll have to deal with. If California were to successfully secede, I wouldn't call for a war to keep it in the Union. Hopefully it could be a peaceful transition of governance and possibly in time they could apply to come back.

As for what I *did* advocate from 2009 - 2017. Well the first big one was 'do not re-elect Barack Hussein Obama II'

That didn't work out, so voting out other Democrats in the federal government and pushing for a Constitutional Convention were high on the list. If Texas seceded (and other states joined) I was planning to move south to join them. That's about it. *shrug*

It's not like I was calling for the Democrats to be shot at on a baseball field or something. Anyone who did that, whew, you'd expect that person to be scrutinized and the message of politicians he or she supported would be subject of serious debate about rhetoric and ideology. Can you imagine?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

LOL. Putting words in your mouth ... did I quote you?

No? Then I'm not putting words in your mouth.

However, you are putting some in mine. No, I'm not confusing secession and civil war, and nothing I've said could be construed in that way.

You've admitted that you're in favor of secession. That matter has been settled in the US by military conquest.

However, I see you're willing to continue the personal, off-topic crap ad infinitum.

So, I will apologize to you for my claim that you supported insurrection. I have no need to go back and source quotes that would support that claim.

Formally, I was mistaken. Please accept my apology for misrepresentation.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Hate to tell ya this, but there are folks out there who think precisely that!

Ain't it wonderful?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Not only statues. Eventually what the extremist left want is to even remove the American flag... Watch as these morons will soon be demanding the removal of the American flag.... They will claim it was made when the country still had slaves, and seeing the flag reminds them of th dark days of slavery... Many of the radical leftists will even insist for "the need of getting rid of the U.S. flag". Watch, it won't be long before they do that...

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

Not only statues. Eventually what the extremist left want is to even remove the American flag... Watch as these morons will soon be demanding the removal of the American flag.... They will claim it was made when the country still had slaves, and seeing the flag reminds them of th dark days of slavery... Many of the radical leftists will even insist for "the need of getting rid of the U.S. flag". Watch, it won't be long before they do that...

I'll take that bet. What's the timeframe?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Defamation of public property is a crime. In most cases a felony.
Where is the damn police ?

They're busy shooting civilians or arresting them for smoking weed.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: GusMcDangerthing

originally posted by: Gothmog
Defamation of public property is a crime. In most cases a felony.
Where is the damn police ?

They're busy shooting civilians or arresting them for smoking weed.

Finally , a great answer

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
How is this even allowed to happen. Look at this.

Link

This is not about confederate statues. This is about precedent just like anything else. If people are allowed with no recourse to do this then other statues and monuments will be next. Maybe one of Reagan since he is a Republican. This should not be happening and I cannot believe that no one is arrested. There is no police presence!

“It needs to be removed,” Loan Tran, an organizer, said earlier Monday. “These Confederate statues in Durham, in North Carolina, all across the country.” There are similar monuments in several cities around North Carolina. Tran doesn’t want to see it anymore. “When I see a Confederate statue in downtown Durham, or really anywhere, it fills me with a lot of rage and frustration,” she said.

Organizers say tonight’s protest is a reaction to the events in Charlottesville this past weekend. “People can be mobilized and people are angry and when enough people are angry, we don’t have to look to politicians to sit around in air conditions and do nothing when we can do things ourselves,” said Takiyah Thompson, a protester.

Mobilized. So do you still think they are not busing these people in. Do you know who else did this? Yup. Nazis.....so if someone does not like something they can remove it. Even from public property.

Slippery slope here folks....

You have a very good point -- this is just the start. It's not just the "cultural cleansing of the South" and the erasure of US history. It's also about the destruction of Art. So I'm waiting for the Globalist Leftist thugs to demand the destruction of Mount Rushmore because some were slave owners.

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join