It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
a reply to: Gryphon66

It wasn't my "thought process" that came up with this rumor, it's stuff like this that is being posted all over social media.

Cambridge Antifa on Twitter: Mt Rushmore is a product of the Pre-Civil Rights Era and a National Embarrassment. A Barbaric Relic. It's gotta go.

And exactly where did I mention anything about race? I talked about Mt. Rushmore and posted a quote. You need to get those TDS symptoms under control pal.

Oh, social media. Well, that's an amazing source. Well done.

Speaking of social media, I heard that Obama's tweets regarding Charlottesville have gotten more likes than any other tweets in history? Isn't that amazing!

Where did you mention anything about race? Did I say you did? You are, however, posting in a discussion that regards race.

Were you not on topic? Shame.

Look more carefully, bud. You remind me of David Duke. He's the one that always ties immigration and race together.

In this case, you're really not much more than an ancillary example.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: UnBreakable

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: UnBreakable

Towns are choosing what statues go on their public lands.

Just like the towns chose to put those statues up in the first place.

You seem to be against local determination.

Is your "heritage" threatened by what some folks in another town choose to have in their parks?

Goodness.

Rupaul?

Damn I feel old for recognizing that name.

Yes, he was part of our history a long time ago.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

Towns are choosing what statues go on their public lands.

Just like the towns chose to put those statues up in the first place.

You seem to be against local determination.

Is your "heritage" threatened by what some folks in another town choose to have in their parks?

Goodness.

So what's next? The SJWs tearing down statues of Goerge Washington and Lincoln and erecting new one's to their hero's Bruce Jenner and Rupaul?

LOL. So "SJWs" now expands to your supposed "enemies" in the LGBT community?

Wow.

I'd think that the literal groups that were originally called Social Justice Warriors would raise statues to Gloria Steinem or maybe even Margaret Sanger ... it's telling that you jump to people you think the LGBT community consider "heroes."

Washington holds a different place in US history than Lee or Stonewall Jackson does ... by any analysis.

He was a slave owner though. As was Jefferson. As was Lee.

I guess we'll see what people decide to do, eh?

No one said anything about the LGBT community except you. Are you an intolerant homophobe or something?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

The title seems to suggest that this is about vandalism and illegally destroying public landmarks. The only person obsessed with race is you.

edit on 16-8-2017 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: RespectfullyDisagree

For your reference, attached is the report from the City of Charlottesville on the presence of the statues in question.

It's a PDF doc, so you may not want to click on the link ... so I'll quote a relevant portion.

The historic sites studied for this report represent a wide range of historic contexts and themes spanning more than two centuries. They are associated with many people who played critical roles in the evolution of the community. They illustrate topics as diverse as slavery, neighborhoods, education, Jim Crow laws, urban renewal, local business, and the City Beautiful movement. Individually and collectively, these places are important, tangible monuments to the spirit of perseverance and commitment to self-determination within the city’s African American community. Some are also tangible reminders of the role that white supremacy has played in Charlottesville history.

Confronting directly and honestly the difficult history represented by many of these places—stories of oppression, struggle, attainment, and defeat—may ultimately prove to be a source of both shame and pride for Charlottesville.

Not seeing anything about irradiating hate there ... www.charlottesville.org

/shrug

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

he sure does know a lot about david duke......

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Why are the landmarks being destroyed again? (Actually it's one so far, but still, you get the point.)

edit on 16-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

he sure does know a lot about david duke......

Yep. One quote and a general observation ...

Didn't you "Good day" me again?

I'm interesting enough to you that you have to chat about me with other posters?

Gwarsh.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Why would statues of RuPaul and Caitlin Jenner be erected again?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

David Duke is a shill and a professional provocateur. His obsession with Duke just shows how good he is at his job.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Sorry you don't like similarities between your thoughts and Duke's pointed out.

Also, are you calling me a shill or a provocateur? Can't you be direct?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I agree with your assessment.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

I agree with your assessment.

Of course you do. Your posts have been completely embarrassing here so I can understand. You've quibbled over basic points of history and offered nothing really in the way of analysis.

I'm glad you had a friend come in to assist. Hope it helps!

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

Under the cover of night. This is ridiculous. So there is also talk about Washington being removed in Chicago and the CBC calling for the removal of all statues from the capitol.

thehill.com...

“Confederate memorabilia have no place in this country and especially not in the United States Capitol. These images symbolize a time of racial discrimination and segregation that continues to haunt this country and many African-Americans who still to this day face racism and bigotry,” Thompson said in a statement to The Hill.

This needs to stop. The KKK is now in everyone's head not because of Trump or this protest but the media. They hold rallies all the time and they were laughed at. Now it is as if there are 65 million Nazi's in the country. The media to me at this point is causing more harm than allowing 32 KKK members to protest outside a courthouse. Do they say horrible things? Yes. Do they want to eradicate Jews? Yes. Are they....not even a chance in hell it would ever happen so why the sudden fear?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Just to clarify, in your opinion white supremacy and oppression do not equate to hate?

Hide behind your semantics all you want.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: RespectfullyDisagree

Just to clarify, in your opinion white supremacy and oppression do not equate to hate?

Hide behind your semantics all you want.

You're not exactly clear in your expressed thoughts.

I'm not in favor of White Supremacy or White Oppression ... or any oppression really. I'm about live and let live.

Does the philosophy of White Supremacy rely on hatred? Some parts do. Does oppression of any sort rely on hatred?

Not really; most of it relies on the psychotic needs that some have to control what others do.

You claimed that it was a fact that Charlottesville decided to take the statue down because of hate --- I proved that your claim is false by their own statements.

You claimed that to sell this object when it is no longer on public display is endorsing hate ... which is ridiculous -- it's selling scrap. Also, if you don't believe the statue represents hate, it's a specious argument.

You've tried to insinuate that you understand something about me and that's just absurd.

You're at about a 000 batting average here chief.

I don't know what else to tell you.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Because they feel their time is right, and are using the Internet to corridinate, that rally was a little more than 60, if you don't think hundreds of armed nazi's marching isn't a horrifying optic well,...

However that doesn't justify political grandstanding.

I see historic areas as should be preserved and protected staTues and flags put up in defiance of black voting rights or the end of Jim crow should be a discussion done through the elected officials. That is how America works. The constituents elected these idiots.

Maybe if the right played ball on the statues they erected in protest of black rights it wouldn't be getting so crazy. Plenty of blame to go around.

edit on 16-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Despite the fact that we had a bit of misagreement the other day ... you're spot on here.

Well said.

(I just coined "misagreement" by the way. LOL)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

a reply to: luthier

Despite the fact that we had a bit of misagreement the other day ... you're spot on here.

Well said.

(I just coined "misagreement" by the way. LOL)

It's A OK. I apreciate being challenged. I am wrong all the time. Sometimes text and spirit can be misunderstood as well. No matter how upset I get I can usually shrug it off in a bit. The other day I was recovering from some bad kidney stones so probably irritable.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

So again to clarify your statements. White supremacy is only mildly about hate and there is very little hate when one group oppresses another. I would strongly disagree.

I was very straight forward in my responses. If you you deem something to be objectionable enough to remove it but are ok with making money off selling it you are a hypocrite.

By posting your opinions on here one can infer many things about you and your character from there content. To argue to the contrary is just disingenuous.

Again I question your calling it scrap. Is any statue removed from its original installation scrap? Are museums just giant scrapyards and objects contained within of little value or importance? Or are only the ones someone deems to be objectionable the ones to be considered scrap?

My statements and questions have been quite concise. It is the answers which I have received that have tended to be unclear.

new topics

top topics

<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join