It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+45 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
How is this even allowed to happen. Look at this.

Link

This is not about confederate statues. This is about precedent just like anything else. If people are allowed with no recourse to do this then other statues and monuments will be next. Maybe one of Reagan since he is a Republican. This should not be happening and I cannot believe that no one is arrested. There is no police presence!

“It needs to be removed,” Loan Tran, an organizer, said earlier Monday. “These Confederate statues in Durham, in North Carolina, all across the country.” There are similar monuments in several cities around North Carolina. Tran doesn’t want to see it anymore. “When I see a Confederate statue in downtown Durham, or really anywhere, it fills me with a lot of rage and frustration,” she said.

Organizers say tonight’s protest is a reaction to the events in Charlottesville this past weekend. “People can be mobilized and people are angry and when enough people are angry, we don’t have to look to politicians to sit around in air conditions and do nothing when we can do things ourselves,” said Takiyah Thompson, a protester.

Mobilized. So do you still think they are not busing these people in. Do you know who else did this? Yup. Nazis.....so if someone does not like something they can remove it. Even from public property.

Slippery slope here folks....
edit on 08pm31pmf0000002017-08-14T19:36:19-05:000719 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

+68 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

It all started with a flag.

"It's just a flag" people said, "One flag. It's not censorship or destroying history".

And so it begins. . . . .

+32 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Defamation of public property is a crime. In most cases a felony.
Where is the damn police ?

+52 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Things are going to get a lot worse.

One side in this battle has been allowed to get away with far too much while being celebrated by the media and politicians, and the other side feels like they are being backed into a corner.

I wish that the extremists on both sides would be drowned out by rational voices, but I don't see it happening.

+39 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I've said it before and I will say it again.

"We must preserve our history, good or bad. Destruction of history is the trail head to our own destruction."

How long until someone decides to destroy some aspect of YOUR own history because it offends them?

What next, books about the Civil War should be removed from the library, or burned because they offend someone?

SMH

People,
, think, before acting out your anger in this manner.

+29 more 
link   
Time to grab some sledgehammers and head on down to the Georgia Guidestones ...

+75 more 
link   
I keep getting flashes of ISIS destroying all of those ancient historic monuments.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I bet everyone of them put spongebob band-aids on their boo-boos after they tried to beat up a statue.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
What no pic of the party?

I hope they melt it too.
Looks like the little nazi get together backfired.
This event & I believe NC is moving up the removal of their statues of traitors as well.

K~

+47 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I don't see a difference between this and book-burning.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Seems quite simple to me. People no longer wish to tolerate having to see symbols of slavery that are worshipped by white supremacists and nazis.

How about instead of blaming civil rights people and black folks and liberals and lefties, you try blaming the screaming violent diehard racists and nazis who made these symbols so thoroughly toxic?

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That is the crux of my point. There is no difference. It is all hate, just in different forms and always for "good reason".

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

.... and then the fight started.

I agree with DB, this is much the same as book burning.

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Seems all the SJW's are potential despots in waiting.
There actions and way of thinking are ironic.
Dangerous people but only the right is bad,right?

+64 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
Seems quite simple to me. People no longer wish to tolerate having to see symbols of slavery that are worshipped by white supremacists and nazis.

How about instead of blaming civil rights people and black folks and liberals and lefties, you try blaming the screaming violent diehard racists and nazis who made these symbols so thoroughly toxic?

And does everyone see this.

Already two posts on this thread justfying this destruction of public property.

These are the same people that will justify censoring any opinion they deem racist.

And as we have already seen on campuses, everything is racsit that doesn't fit their narrative.

It is people like this that will escalate this feud.

+38 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

How about NOT destroying history and using it as a teaching tool for the next generation. It can be a constant reminder of what to avoid. If you remove that, then you lose the impact of those horrendous acts, and you will in effect make them even more possible in the future.

History is rife with positive and negative lessons. If only we wish to learn from the mistakes, we would not risk repeating them ad-nausea in the future.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

One was part of a vast racist assault on intellectualism, the other is the removal from public spaces of symbols of racism and division.

Nobody is denying the civil war happened. They're just saying now these statues attract crowds of nazis, it might be best to put them away out of sight.

+36 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

One was part of a vast racist assault on intellectualism, the other is the removal from public spaces of symbols of racism and division.

Nobody is denying the civil war happened. They're just saying now these statues attract crowds of nazis, it might be best to put them away out of sight.

So book burning next if there are books that speak of racism and division.

I see where this is heading.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

How about NOT destroying history and using it as a teaching tool for the next generation. It can be a constant reminder of what to avoid. If you remove that, then you lose the impact of those horrendous acts, and you will in effect make them even more possible in the future.

History is rife with positive and negative lessons. If only we wish to learn from the mistakes, we would not risk repeating them ad-nausea in the future.

Does removing statues destroy all knowledge in society of the civil war?

Of course not. Nothing is being destroyed. Some statues celebrating racists get removed and put away out of sight.

Are history books being destroyed? No. Are they being rewritten? No.

Removal of racist monuments is not the destruction of history.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join