It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
Personally I don't care about those statues. Sometimes I like to look at them and be reminded of history and they're pretty. But if it gets worse and worse then maybe we should move them to museum where people can learn MORE there. It will generate revenue and helps the city anyway.

Ah, so give into thee mob. Got it.

Something tells me that if a bunch of white racists wanted statues of Malcolm X removed because he was violent, people wouldn't be so ready to give in to that mobs demands.

I don't like it any more than you do. We can let them continue with the destruction of property.

Who is the hero of these haters? Maybe a ice statue can be carved of him/her, and bystanders walk by a pee on it. How would they feel about that? Hmmm???

That would be a great idea!

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: Painterz
Seems quite simple to me. People no longer wish to tolerate having to see symbols of slavery that are worshipped by white supremacists and nazis.

How about instead of blaming civil rights people and black folks and liberals and lefties, you try blaming the screaming violent diehard racists and nazis who made these symbols so thoroughly toxic?

How about NOT destroying history and using it as a teaching tool for the next generation. It can be a constant reminder of what to avoid. If you remove that, then you lose the impact of those horrendous acts, and you will in effect make them even more possible in the future.

History is rife with positive and negative lessons. If only we wish to learn from the mistakes, we would not risk repeating them ad-nausea in the future.

Best post yet.
"Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it" - George Santayana

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: sooth
a reply to: Painterz

Anybody that thinks Robert E. Lee stood for hatred and intolerance doesn't know f*** all about Robert E. Lee.

Well to be fair, most people think the north fought the war to free the slaves.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Oh the melodrama is palpable. ISIS! DESTROYING HISTORY! THE CHILDREN WILL NEVER LEARN THAT SLAVERY IS WRONG! BOOK BURNER!

There are certain monuments that have actual historical significance. There are memorials that shouldn't be touched out of respect for the dead. This ain't Gettysburg. It ain't the Washington monument, it's a not-that-old statue.

Nor is this comparable to book burning. Book burning is about denying people access to ideas. This is about public spaces littered that are littered with symbols of one part of society's dominance over the rest. At what point is it appropriate to remove and replace them? When they're destroyed by nature?

An appropriate book analogy, considering that central public spaces are occupied by these statues:

Imagine a library where most of the shelves are filled with copies of Mein Kampf because 70 years ago people seeking to Lionize Hitler, made sure to stock thousands of copies. And if you wanted to stock any other books, you'd need to find a space on the shelf in the storage closet.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I don't want to give in to mob either. I am just saying that if nobody is doing anything about it then what can we do?

link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: aethertek
What no pic of the party?

I hope they melt it too.
Looks like the little nazi get together backfired.
This event & I believe NC is moving up the removal of their statues of traitors as well.

K~

So you support a group of people going to Wall Street and ripping out Defiant Girl because they don't like it?

Did defiant girl rape & murder innocents while waging war against the US, no didn't think so.

Oh & just to be perfectly clear I support any option on the table short of nukes to cleanse this cancer from our society.

K~

+26 more 
link   
If intelligent, mature adults wanted to take down a statue, they would use the system, not fight it and petition the state legislature and governor. But then, these are not intelligent, mature people doing this. These radicals are way more of a problem than an old statue is. They have chosen to force their beliefs on others and democracy be damned.

Of course I believe that truth be known, most of them are fairly illiterate and care more about getting some video to post online. Most people understand what is really going on and in the end, they will hurt themselves and do no good for anyone.

I'd have no issue if they worked towards having old statues moved to museums to preserve our history good or bad, but then that would not get them the attention they crave, like the children they truly are.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I want to agree, but we would have to get rid of all the statues in the United States because they might offend someone. Then I could agree.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

And you would advocate destruction of that hypothetical Mein Kampf library then? I would not. It is still destruction of knowledge and history. I would prefer putting up a monument adjacent to that explaining the history and how the path to evil starts with our own actions.

Does that now make me a Nazi, NO. It makes me someone that understands history is littered with good and bad. Knowledge is power, ignorance is slavery.

+4 more 
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: DBCowboy

Oh the melodrama is palpable. ISIS! DESTROYING HISTORY! THE CHILDREN WILL NEVER LEARN THAT SLAVERY IS WRONG! BOOK BURNER!

There are certain monuments that have actual historical significance. There are memorials that shouldn't be touched out of respect for the dead. This ain't Gettysburg. It ain't the Washington monument, it's a not-that-old statue.

Nor is this comparable to book burning. Book burning is about denying people access to ideas. This is about public spaces littered that are littered with symbols of one part of society's dominance over the rest. At what point is it appropriate to remove and replace them? When they're destroyed by nature?

An appropriate book analogy, considering that central public spaces are occupied by these statues:

Imagine a library where most of the shelves are filled with copies of Mein Kampf because 70 years ago people seeking to Lionize Hitler, made sure to stock thousands of copies. And if you wanted to stock any other books, you'd need to find a space on the shelf in the storage closet.

But there is a way to have them legally removed. Vote on it.

Destroying public property because it offends you is a slippery slope.

Again, we started off allowing violent protestors to stop Nazis from speaking on campus.

Next thing you know, all sorts of people are being censored because they too are offensive.

link   
After society finishes the confederate statues, hopefully they move onto the Mary and Jesus statues. And crosses also. And those McDonald arches. Billboards also.

+14 more 
link   

originally posted by: aethertek

Oh & just to be perfectly clear I support any option on the table short of nukes to cleanse this cancer from our society.

K~

So just to be clear, you would have no problem with the murder of millions, or even hundreds of millions of people, as long as it would "cleanse" us (interesting phrase you chose there) of these people you find to be despicable? Seems like I've heard that kind of rhetoric before.
edit on 14-8-2017 by TruMcCarthy because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

Is that your final solution?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

No, you're right. Age has nothing to do with it. If they ever try to demolish the Wawa up the street, I'm going to chain myself to it. Throw myself down in front of the bulldozer.

Hell, I once drunkenly forgot to flush the toilet. The next morning, I had to do a lot of soul searching before hitting the handle and flushing away all that important s#.

Get a grip. This is faux outrage over a statue. I've seen more condemnation over the destruction of this statue and concern over its fate from many right-wing posters on this site than I have seen concern over the death and maiming of human beings or condemnation of the neo-Nazi terrorist that plowed over those people with his car.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
After society finishes the confederate statues, hopefully they move onto the Mary and Jesus statues. And crosses also. And those McDonald arches. Billboards also.

Those McDonald's arches need to go anyway. That would help Americans lose weight.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: Painterz
Seems quite simple to me. People no longer wish to tolerate having to see symbols of slavery that are worshipped by white supremacists and nazis.

How about instead of blaming civil rights people and black folks and liberals and lefties, you try blaming the screaming violent diehard racists and nazis who made these symbols so thoroughly toxic?

How about NOT destroying history and using it as a teaching tool for the next generation. It can be a constant reminder of what to avoid. If you remove that, then you lose the impact of those horrendous acts, and you will in effect make them even more possible in the future.

History is rife with positive and negative lessons. If only we wish to learn from the mistakes, we would not risk repeating them ad-nausea in the future.

Best post yet.
"Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it" - George Santayana

I don't think many schools teach history any more. Too many parents protested.

+24 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

So you ARE for book burning.

Ok.

*shrugs*

No surprise there.

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Man.. this new breed of super sensitive snowflake's is something to behold.

Be careful you guys don't become the monster you're trying to fight.

Oh wait...

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

They can be harmful and so loved. Bit of a problem if a person needs to pick a side.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
For history to be rewritten it first needs to be destroyed.

This is sad and as db mentioned early on this is no different to book burning, the Nazis are rising back to power.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join