It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: Grambler

Personally I don't care about those statues. Sometimes I like to look at them and be reminded of history and they're pretty. But if it gets worse and worse then maybe we should move them to museum where people can learn MORE there. It will generate revenue and helps the city anyway.

Ah, so give into thee mob. Got it.

Something tells me that if a bunch of white racists wanted statues of Malcolm X removed because he was violent, people wouldn't be so ready to give in to that mobs demands.

I don't like it any more than you do. We can let them continue with the destruction of property.

Yes that is why my decision would be to enforce the law and arrest them, as opposed to giving in to their demands.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

I believe it all goes back to society, which is in essence how we are told to behave and act accordingly to the laws set forth by the inhabited land.

We are in the midst of revolution, which has changed societies since the beginning of civilization.

Civilization.

That word can be quiet a tricky word. You would think that for Civilization to even exist one credential it would have to meet, would be the civil part. It is even in the name. The thing about the world of men I have found to be telling it that, everything about mankind, in all of their achievements, and advancements, they don't seem to be doing so well on the civilized part.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: matafuchs

It all started with a flag.

"It's just a flag" people said, "One flag. It's not censorship or destroying history".

And so it begins. . . . .

Those who do not learn from histor..." Aw, F it.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Krakatoa

I don't see a difference between this and book-burning.

One was part of a vast racist assault on intellectualism, the other is the removal from public spaces of symbols of racism and division.

Nobody is denying the civil war happened. They're just saying now these statues attract crowds of nazis, it might be best to put them away out of sight.

Sweet so can we tear down buildings that attract faar left extremists like Antifa?

Universities, here we come.

Now, there is that anti intellectualism that caused the nazis to burn books.

Oh I am sorry.

I didn't realize that people that advocate for the destruction of public property can't understand sarcasm.

link   

Personally I don't care about those statues. Sometimes I like to look at them and be reminded of history and they're pretty. But if it gets worse and worse then maybe we should move them to museum where people can learn MORE there. It will generate revenue and helps the city anyway.

Something tells me that if a bunch of white racists wanted statues of Malcolm X removed because he was violent, people wouldn't be so ready to give in to that mobs demands.

I don't like it any more than you do. We can let them continue with the destruction of property.

Yes that is why my decision would be to enforce the law and arrest them, as opposed to giving in to their demands.

Not disagreeing with you. As people here have noted there was a lack of police presence. If nobody is going to do anything about it then as I have suggested why not put them in museums where they can be protected?

+20 more 
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: IAMTAT

Again, another hysterical fail. Those are archeologically important sites that are thousands of years old and irreplaceable. This is a statue that was probably made in the last century, possibly the last 50-60 years, and of no archeological or particular historic significance.

So the age of the monument is what makes it historic or important?

Is Mt. Rushmore too young to be of historic importance?
Rumor has it Jefferson owned slaves....Would you be okay with a little demolition there?
edit on 14-8-2017 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Not a consideration of even one pigeon...

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I can't blame them for wanting to destroy confederate statues, they've been lied to all their lives. Their hearts are filled with hate and ignorance. Maybe the next generation will be more knowledgeable about the American Civil War. Maybe one day our universities will have "real professors" teaching "real history."

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Necrobile

One was part of a vast racist assault on intellectualism, the other is the removal from public spaces of symbols of racism and division.

Nobody is denying the civil war happened. They're just saying now these statues attract crowds of nazis, it might be best to put them away out of sight.

Y'know, I'm a minority. My skin is brown. I've dealt with big city racism, as well as small town racism in my life. Even though I've never been to the south, if I ever did go, I would've actually liked to visit these monuments. Why?? Because they're part of our american history, be it good or bad.

Thanks to over-emotional people who can't do anything but hate, I can now no longer ever see this history. The people doing this destruction, as well as the people who agree with this destruction, are really no different than these people right here.

You will still be able to see all the confederate statues you want in museums. They just won't be in public spaces.

This makes it completely non comparable to isis.

Nobody is erasing history, despite the near hysterical claims of some people here.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek
What no pic of the party?

I hope they melt it too.
Looks like the little nazi get together backfired.
This event & I believe NC is moving up the removal of their statues of traitors as well.

K~

So you support a group of people going to Wall Street and ripping out Defiant Girl because they don't like it?

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
My guess is Abe Lincoln and Martin Luther king are both rolling in their graves at the state of the nation today.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
well, the bible tells us to tear down the idols, and considering the amount of emotional attachments that there seems to be, on both sides of the aisle... these danged things seem to have become close to being idols, they might symbolize different things to different people, but the people seem to be sending an unusual amount of energy into them to be considered just statues.. heck they are even worthy of a human sacrifice once in awhile!!!

and I am saying nothing about the statues themselves really, I could care less one way or the other...
it's the people that have turned them into idols that I am having a problem understanding!!

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: IAMTAT

Again, another hysterical fail. Those are archeologically important sites that are thousands of years old and irreplaceable. This is a statue that was probably made in the last century, possibly the last 50-60 years, and of no archeological or particular historic significance.

Who decided the age of a monument determine its relevance? With that logic, then we should also allow the destruction of Mount Rushmore because it is not that old, and depicts white ruling class men that the majority there either owned slaves or went to war with brown people.

Hate is hate, no matter how you try to shine it up. It stinks in all of its forms. Destruction of history (even "hiding it away" is the same thing). Did terrible things happen in our collective past? Yes, certainly. But, we should never willingly accept the hiding of that which we deem ugly.

I take it you are in favor of hiding physically deformed humans away into a building so they don't offend anyone by their presence? That too is a form of hate that was once commonplace, yet is now unacceptable.

Open your eyes, and do not hide away for that which offends you. Face it head on, and do not make it important enough to become a focal point of even more hate. Destruction is an act of hate, regardless of the reason.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
As others have said, this is no different than the Taliban or ISIS destroying statues and monuments that offend them. "It had to be done" are the cries from intolerant Islamists, and they are the same cries we hear from those destroying American statues and monuments. If you feel these statues should be removed from public property and relocated, ok, I don't agree, but I can at least understand that argument, but destroying them? No different than Islamo-Fascism destroying what it finds to be offensive.

+13 more 
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Anybody that thinks Robert E. Lee stood for hatred and intolerance doesn't know f*** all about Robert E. Lee.
edit on 14-8-2017 by sooth because: (no reason given)

link   

Who is the hero of these haters? Maybe a ice statue can be carved of him/her, and bystanders walk by a pee on it. How would they feel about that? Hmmm???

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Not disagreeing with you. As people here have noted there was a lack of police presence. If nobody is going to do anything about it then as I have suggested why not put them in museums where they can be protected?

Hey I know you are reasonable, just pointing out that I would not give in to this mob behavior.

As to where were the police; I don't know on this issue for certain.

But we know that police routinely are told to let these mobs slide for fear of being thought of as ....racist (oh nos).

So this mob mentaality is working for these people. They got rid of the statue and more the likely won't be punished.

So don't be surprised when they do it again, or etremists from another side try to do the same.

This is why laws must be enforced.

link   
I suppose it's time for tit for tat. Let's find those statues of the Union side of the war and knock them down. Oh..snap, there are no statues of the great guys from the Union side. Well there's Mt. Rushmore.....designed and carved by Gutzon Borglum. One hell of a big old racist, well documented in print and books. He was purported to be a Grand Wizard of the KKK. So let's blow this racist build "graven image" the hell down, Canada is tired of looking at their arse's anyways.

link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
I suppose it's time for tit for tat. Let's find those statues of the Union side of the war and knock them down. Oh..snap, there are no statues of the great guys from the Union side. Well there's Mt. Rushmore.....designed and carved by Gutzon Borglum. One hell of a big old racist, well documented in print and books. He was purported to be a Grand Wizard of the KKK. So let's blow this racist build "graven image" the hell down, Canada is tired of looking at their arse's anyways.

Don't give them any ideas please.

link   
a reply to: carewemust

Who is the hero of these haters?

MSM and progressive politicians.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join