It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
a reply to: matafuchs

Could you imagine if a group of right wingers pulled down a statue of MLK? Saying all hell would break loose is putting it mildly.

That will literally start civil war.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone
this particular statue I do believe dates back to the 1920's, or at least that was the date on it.
can't help but wonder how many found the statue offensive then. was it a large number, or no??
if there was enough people then who really didn't like the statue then but well, they were just the wrong color and therefore their opinion was ignored, then maybe if they would have worried about the offense then, we wouldn't have to mess with it now?
but the point I was trying to make was that the problem isn't the statue really, it's the strong emotional attachment that the people have to it, either by hated it, or loving it, and the fact that they seem to prefer to fight over it, even kill over it it seems, than to cede to the other..
for those who are constantly declaring that this nation is a christian nation so insistently, or any christian on either side really, I would urge you to read that bible some and do some soul searching and ask yourselves... what would jesus do? because I really have a feeling that it this isn't it!!!

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Could you imagine if a group of right wingers pulled down a statue of MLK? Saying all hell would break loose is putting it mildly.

Not if they were filled with anger apparently, then it's ok.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: Painterz
Seems quite simple to me. People no longer wish to tolerate having to see symbols of slavery that are worshipped by white supremacists and nazis.

How about instead of blaming civil rights people and black folks and liberals and lefties, you try blaming the screaming violent diehard racists and nazis who made these symbols so thoroughly toxic?

How about NOT destroying history and using it as a teaching tool for the next generation. It can be a constant reminder of what to avoid. If you remove that, then you lose the impact of those horrendous acts, and you will in effect make them even more possible in the future.

History is rife with positive and negative lessons. If only we wish to learn from the mistakes, we would not risk repeating them ad-nausea in the future.

Best post yet.
"Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it" - George Santayana

I don't think many schools teach history any more. Too many parents protested.

I hear that. But there are books you can read on your own....
Oh , wait. Learn something on their own ? No way!
They are too busy obtaining their Phd in basketweaving

edit on 8/14/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Who is worshiping them? As in, 'this statue represents my god and I kneel before it'?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

Who is worshiping them? As in, 'this statue represents my god and I kneel before it'?

Apparently the white supremacists and neo-Nazis.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

I'd imagine Mr. King is rolling over in his grave. I suspect he would be in the forefront criticizing those participating in this madness. Everything he stood for runs counter to what's been happening. He was a great man and it's sad how few of his words are understood by those who walk where he walked.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: sooth
a reply to: Painterz

Anybody that thinks Robert E. Lee stood for hatred and intolerance doesn't know f*** all about Robert E. Lee.

Well to be fair, most people think the north fought the war to free the slaves.

Meanwhile, Confederate sympathizers like to call it the War of Northern Aggression when Confederates fired the first shots.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

As I said to Grambler, I agree that this is not the way to go about removing statues from public places. You'll get no argument from me. Nor would I cry foul if these people faced charges for their deeds.

What I'm not going to do is pretend that every single thing ever made is historically significant. I bet if they were taking that statue down to replace it with a bigger one, a better, flashier, brand new mega-monument with a giant Confederate soldier atop a majestic steed and standing 20' high — nobody that is pretending to be all weepy right now would have anything negative to say.

They wouldn't be asking where the current statue went. If they found out it got chopped up and dropped off at the foundry by some a local junker, they wouldn't be upset in the least. As long as the statue was being replaced with another Confederate statue.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

Apparently the white supremacists and neo-Nazis.

Apparently?

+2 more 
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I expected you to agree that this mob could have went about things in a different way.

As far as campus censorship, here is a database for FIRE (Foundation for Individual Rights in Education).

It lists 11 incidents this year alone, all being censored by the left, including the Dalai Llama.

I would say that this swouldn't be considered an epidemic if looked at in a vacuum, but seeing as how overwhelmingly liberal most universities are, it starts to reek of an echo chamber that doesn't want new ideas being discussed.

www.thefire.org.../viewdisinvitationattemptdetails/58e25e9f14c388482e709f40/

link   
Get rid of all statues. A few are bound to be offended by each and every one of them. Maybe paintings also since they are more vivid then a statue.

If we gonna cater to spoiled kids we might as well go all out and make then really happy.

+8 more 
link   
The real Nazis are the ones pulling down public statues, imposing their will on society by mob violence.

link   

but the point I was trying to make was that the problem isn't the statue really, it's the strong emotional attachment that the people have to it, either by hated it, or loving it, and the fact that they seem to prefer to fight over it, even kill over it it seems, than to cede to the other..

Yes. They are called idols. All statues represent them. Including the Statue of Liberty.

for those who are constantly declaring that this nation is a christian nation so insistently, or any christian on either side really, I would urge you to read that bible some and do some soul searching and ask yourselves... what would jesus do? because I really have a feeling that it this isn't it!!!

He would get rid of all the statues, like he did with the money changers in the temple.
edit on 14-8-2017 by 3daysgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

You know that is an interesting thought in other ways. The Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. was all about peaceful change. Not the horsesh** going on today

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Necrobile

Y'know, I'm a minority. My skin is brown. I've dealt with big city racism, as well as small town racism in my life. Even though I've never been to the south, if I ever did go, I would've actually liked to visit these monuments. Why?? Because they're part of our american history, be it good or bad.

Thanks to over-emotional people who can't do anything but hate, I can now no longer ever see this history. The people doing this destruction, as well as the people who agree with this destruction, are really no different than these people right here.

They are no better than those ^^^^terrorists^^^^

Its plain wanton destruction by self entitled brainless zombies

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Most of these statues went up during the Jim Crow era.
Why celebrate the idiots who tried to destroy our nation?

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell
.... and then the fight started.

I agree with DB, this is much the same as book burning.

When the KKK comes back with torches and ropes ... it's gonna be bad.

They hurt many more white people than they did blacks. And, they were vicious when they did it. I don't know why people don't remember that. It's right there in the history books.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
They started kicking a statue... Not sending their best folks.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Sure what ever. Are you a white supremacist? A Nazi? Just asking. Otherwise why you guys getting so upset.
These statues represent haters and people who tried to destroy the nation.
What's wrong with just getting rid of all that crap.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join