It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to abolish political correctness?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Sticks and stones, man... Sticks and stones. People are gonna say what they want. You can either cry about it, or you can suck it up. Anyone that gets their feelings hurt will need to grow some thicker skin.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

I am a liberal left wing tree hugging hippy type.

Come one come all, you are all welcome under my tree, but it isn't really my tree, it is everyone's tree.

Ownership is transient.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Child suspended from school for saying "Merry Christmas"
Thats what we're talking about when we say "PC nut jobs"

No one asked what you think "PC nut jobs" are. I asked how you'd get a politician to end PC culture.

A good start would be NOT suspending the kid in his post, but instead the teacher for overreacting.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Do you mean 'pillock'?

What is a 'pollack'?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific a pollack is a green fish of the cod family.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: DAZ21

Me calling the racist and bigoted things people say is not thought police.
You are not free to say then with out criticism from other people, just free from the state punishing you from speaking out against it.

Depends on how much attention you get for it. Donald Sterling for example... Lost his team and got banned for life from the NBA for telling his black girlfriend not to hang out with black people. No that wasn't the state, but it sure as hell was due to political correctness. He'll forever be branded a racist because of ignorant people needing a hurt feeling for a story or two.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Turn off the News media and you win abolish political correctness, it's that simple.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Can't we all just get along?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

As is quoted in Bambi by Mrs.Thumper

"If you can'y say anything nice, don't say anything at all"

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I thought that was spelt 'Pollock'?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrsNonSpecific

Wise words and what a nice chap little thumper turned out to be

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

The freedom to call someone who disagrees with the president's policies a racist.

"You just don't like it because he's a black man and you're racist ..."

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The Constitutional freedom of speech does not mean you can say "whatever you want when you want" ... it means the government (Federal, State, local) cannot make laws that keep you from speaking within certain parameters, although, harmful, false and hateful speech is illegal for obvious reasons.

There is "political correctness" wherever there is politics; right-wingers just like to pretend their politics are immune.

They aren't. Just ask the Dixie Chicks.

Political correctness or politically-correct speech isn't going to go away as long as there is politics.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I'm a bit confused about what is wrong with being politically correct in one's thought and or actions. Personally, I just don't feel the need to offend anyone or make them feel less than a human being.
I remember when I was younger and putting all humans on the same level of respect in my speaking to others. For some reason this came naturally to me at 18 and an older person told me how politically correct I was in something I said to her. She actually seemed impressed that I treated everybody the same in speaking.
There are things I'm bound to be uncomfortable with when it comes to other human beings and I do appreciate the freedom of speech, but don't feel the need to think one group of people is better than the next.
I'm a Christian that follows Christ's teachings, so that has alot to do with me seeing everybody on an even playing field.
So, sorry I can't answer your question OP, because I don't know what I would have to expect from a politician that comes down on any label a group of people have.
I would like to ask, what is wrong with being politically correct?
Also, this new phenomenon of everyone being a special snowflake or delicate flower has me baffled too. Where does one draw the line at the law, being politically correct or just a compassionate human being towards others?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrsNonSpecific

Yep, that's how PC works all right. And when you can't talk because "nice" had been defined by one side as "only things I agree with" then that means there will soon be no debate no discussion and everyone who talks will think 100% alike.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
The thing is that for the bulk of our country's history, certain groups (for the most part, anyone who wasn't white men) have been bullied, lynched, hunted down, tormented, denied rights, put into camps, executed, marginalized, slandered, etc.

Now we are finally at a time when the tide has shifted, and those people have a support system to stand up and call the perpetrators on their actions. So the perpetrators created this idea called "PC" in order to marginalize these groups again, and deflect. And hey look… it works, big surprise. A support system of denial works as well. And people love to hear from fellow racists (insert example) that they aren't racist.

Now, I can readily admit that the "PC" scene gets out of hand and there is a bit of collateral damage, but I'd rather be living in a country where people are finally standing up to the perpetrators and have some support, rather than one ruled by a select few that historically were the ones doing all the silencing. Remember that this is hundreds of years of silencing vs. a few years of speaking out. And now the silencers are crying? Jesus.

link   
a reply to: peppycat

There is nothing with being that way so long as that is what you choose.

It's when people attempt to force it on you or make you into some kind of villain for not being that way in every word or deed.

link   
a reply to: peppycat

I'm a bit confused about what is wrong with being politically correct in one's thought and or actions. Personally, I just don't feel the need to offend anyone or make them feel less than a human being.

That's the crux of this issue.

Some people believe that it is a PC conspiracy to change the way people talk and think, just because they are held accountable for the ignorant, hateful and stupid things they say.

It's not about saying things I agree with. It's about not being an ignorant asshole.

link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
a reply to: DBCowboy

But don't place YOUR filters on what I say.

If you're big boy enough to not filter what comes out of your mouth, then you're also big boy enough to fully accept an ass-whooping when you piss someone off.

The street goes in both directions.

Who says he won't be the one whooping ass once a pretender bows up at him?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Way to put a downer on Bambi, which I think we all have to admit doesn't start well but turns out alright in the end.

A disagreement or debate doesn't have to turn nasty it can still be conducted 'nicely' with respect for the other person's opinion.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join