It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to abolish political correctness?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Time and again I see posters going on and on about how PC culture is destroying the country, taking away your rights (not true), and just making your life miserable. Many celebrate politicians who want to take a stand against political correctness. Now as anyone who is even remotely familiar with how the 1st Amendment works, they'd know that PC in all of its forms is 100% constitutional and is even an application of free speech. So I ask to you avid critics of PC, how does a politician abolish political correctness? How does a politician take you back to a time before you got called a racist for saying racist things?

This is really hard for me to wrap my head around, because to me, there is no way to put the cat back in the bag. We can't go back to a time pre-PC. No conservative politician will be able to do that for you. Because such things would require unconstitutional laws and thought police. People are going to think what they think, and part of that thinking is deciding you are a racist, xenophobe, bigot, etc for saying racist, xenophobe, or bigoted things. You don't have to like it. You can rant and rave about it all you want. Hell, you could call the PC person a hypocrite for being intolerant of intolerant people, but at no point are you EVER going to make PC culture go away. It's impossible.

So answer me ATS. How would you have a politician address PC culture and make it go away?
edit on 15-12-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
People just ain't as slow to label a bigot for bigotry.

There is the odd ridiculous case like "Star Wars is racist" but that's not even close to what "PC" is supposed to be about.

It's like bigoted women being labelled feminists, or WBC being labeled Christian.

It may sound like a No True Scotsman fallacy, but sometimes calling things a fallacy is specious.

This is one of those times.
edit on 15-12-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Exactly. People are more aware of what constitutes intolerance and they are willing to speak up about it. That's really all there is to it.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I think people who rely on silly terms to convey information are retardos.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
There are no rules for being politically correct on ATS or in society. So knock yourselves out and be as politically incorrect as you can be. You signed up to the site accepted the terms and conditions, so stop moaning about the imagined PC brigade culling your freedom of speech.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I'm confused. What does this have to do with the question I asked in the OP?

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Calling illegal aliens "undocumented workers".

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It will swing like a pendulum back and forth. And what is deemed offensive will change. I'm offended when people are super offended. I will tell them life is too short to be butthurt about everything. Same application of violence be getting violence and so forth. i think it's a matter of perception but with globalization everybody is a delicate flower. Because it's just as easy to find someone who agrees with you as it is to find haters.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

You know, I didn't use either the phrase "illegal aliens" OR "undocumented workers" in my OP. Are you sure you are reading the same OP I wrote?

I'd appreciate it if you'd actually address the topic at hand instead of trolling with irrelevant opinions of yours.
edit on 15-12-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Call me PC if you want. I will still point out rudeness, bad manners, and loutish behavior.

If you don't like it your can GTFO.....

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I'm talking about PC. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

In my first post, I used the term "retardo" in the second post, I used the term "illegal alien".

Both terms have been made taboo by the PC brigade for obvious reasons.

Controlling the way people use their free expression.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Even if you were to "abolish" PC behavior and such your still going to have people on the other side of the spectrum(anti-PC)whom are just as fervorous about controlling how and what you say regardless. In essence the thought police will still exist.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

In my first post, I used the term "retardo" in the second post, I used the term "illegal alien".

And? I wrote this thread to ask a specific question. You haven't answered it yet, instead choosing to try to offend me by saying politically incorrect things. That is called trolling hun.

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You know, I didn't use either the phrase "illegal aliens" OR "undocumented workers" in my OP. Are you sure you are reading the same OP I wrote?

I'd appreciate it if you'd actually address the topic at hand instead of trolling with irrelevant opinions of yours.

Likely, but the impulse to call illegal aliens "undocumented workers" stems from political correctness like it or not. The media is the driver of the shift in terminology, and it is insidious. We are invited to think that the two terms are synonymous when they really are not. Some illegal aliens are undocumented workers no doubt, but not all of them. A casual check of prison statistics will show you that.

However, by using the term "undocumented worker" when you really would be more correct to use illegal alien (any person in this country illegally by immigration law) you invite anyone who hears (or sees) it to think only of the actual undocumented workers which is designed to subtly sway you to be sympathetic to the push for amnesty.

You are NOT supposed to think of aliens like the one who shot Kate Steinle and who are here just as illegally.

This is what political correctness is all about. It's an attempt to either obscure the truth or outright lie in places disguised as a warm and fuzzy movement to make everyone feel good and be sure no one has hurt feelings.

It is one of the main weapons the left uses to shift the Overton Window and frame public debate.
edit on 15-12-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Aww, are you offended by what I wrote?

Why should I care?

As for your question, PC culture will go away when we stop caring about offending people.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Likely, but the impulse to call illegal aliens "undocumented workers" stems from political correctness like it or not. The media is the driver of the shift in terminology, and it is insidious. We are invited to think that the two terms are synonymous when they really are not. Some illegal aliens are undocumented workers no doubt, but not all of them. A casual check of prison statistics will show you that.

However, by using the term "undocumented worker" when you really would be more correct to use illegal alien (any person in this country illegally by immigration law) you invite anyone who hears (or sees) it to think only of the actual undocumented workers which is designed to subtly sway you to be sympathetic to the push for amnesty.

You are NOT supposed to think of aliens like the one who shot Kate Steinle and who are here just as illegally.

This is what political correctness is all about. It's an attempt to either obscure the truth or outright lie in places disguised as a warm and fuzzy movement to make everyone feel good and be sure no one has hurt feelings.

It is one of the main weapons the left uses to shift the Overton Window and frame public debate.

This has nothing to do with why I wrote the OP. I'm not debating if the term "undocumented worker" is a result of PC culture or not. I don't need a conservative education on what conservatives THINK is political correctness or not. I asked a specific question in the OP, which you ignored to talk about this red herring another poster brought up.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

You are free to say it and I am free to criticise it.

All you are doing by choosing such language is alienating MOST people. These people will think if you hold attitudes like that you will not be such a nice guy to hang out with or listen to. I am on of those people. It makes me know that you are not respectful of others and tells me a whole heap about you.

I do defend your right to alienate yourself and limit yourself and let us know you are doing it and that may be you are not the nicest guy in the world.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Aww, are you offended by what I wrote?

Not really. Just irritated that you are dodging the question.

Why should I care?

You should care because you are being rude, but there is no law to make you care.

As for your question, PC culture will go away when we stop caring about offending people.

So never? Well at least you are honest with that.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Conservatives are all anti PC until you criticize them....

Then it's playing the victim card and crybaby time.

It's a constant meme Ive noticed.

edit on 15-12-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
As I posted in the other thread which you ran away from, I'll post it here also.

We can't abolish political correctness, as it's officially thought control. People shouting your opinions down calling them racist, xenophobic, homophobic etc...

What we can do is promote freedom of speech and make sure that the continual eradication of such is stopped.

Hopefully if we continue to do this, the PC culture will fade away...

Thanks for reading.

Ps: what I don't get is how you keep saying PC promotes freedom of speech yet, it's when you say something that the PC society doesn't like that freedom of speech becomes a problem. I don't want to argue but I think you're wrong on this statement.
edit on 15-12-2015 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join