It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to abolish political correctness?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAZ21
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That's fine as long as they can back up their PC accusation with proof that such freedom of speech was in fact racist.

Which by the way is the problem with PC culture. Because they shout racist because it's something that they don't want to hear not necessarily because it was a racist statement that was made.

This!

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yes, it is.

Just because you don't like what I wrote or didn't possible read the wall of text to its conclusion doesn't make it any less about what you wrote.

PC is a weapon used to shift the debate by subtly renaming concepts to a place one side deems more advantageous to their side.

In order to stop it, we need to stop mass shaming everyone refuses to use the media approved terminology.

Can I get a list of media approved terminology so I can be PC? Sounds pretty cool.
edit on 15-12-2015 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I can feel an apropriate George Carlin Sketch springing to mind so here it is...

Public relation 'Guru's' re marketing our language so it hide the harshness of reality, a soft sell approach to socially awkward topics of conversation which, if you were my parents, would not make for acceptable tea time table talk.

If you tar an entire race for the act of a few you are a racist. Sweeping generalisations against a particular creed/ race/ colour/ cult are racist.

I don't like over PC-ness, a spade is a spade, but it is no excuse for using 'bad' language that denogrates a particular section of society. As a society we should evolve to be sensitive to all walks of life, circumstances and show compassion and patience.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Child suspended from school for saying "Merry Christmas"
Thats what we're talking about when we say "PC nut jobs"

That story is now in the hoax bin.
Because it didn't happen.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: DAZ21

Promote freedom of speech? Like the freedom to call someone a racist for saying something racist?

They just don't grasp how PC they really are when they cry about that.

Hilarity.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I thought it sounded a desperate an example

link   
a reply to: amicktd

Anytime the media changes what it calls things:

Global Warming = Man Made Global Warming = Climate Change = Climate Chaos

Terrorism = Man Caused Disaster (can also be used for Climate Change)

Illegal Aliens = Undocumented Workers

Your average NYT and AP Style Manuals will be full of examples because they are the definitive lists of how to refer to just about anything in the press and most press rooms will follow one of their leads.

link   

That's fine as long as they can back up their PC accusation with proof that such freedom of speech was in fact racist.

Wait so someone spouting likely bigoted rhetoric doesn't have to back themselves up with evidence, but someone calling him a bigot needs to prove the person is a bigot? How does that work?

Which by the way is the problem with PC culture. Because they shout racist because it's something that they don't want to hear not necessarily because it was a racist statement that was made.

And?

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Revolution9

I'm not the nicest guy in the world.

And I don't care if I offend or damage peoples feefees.

If I had to govern my speech in order not to offend anyone at any time, I might as well rip out my vocal cords.

That's all cool with me. You have not offended me.

I am just saying watch out for those people that take offence. I do. That is one reason why I use manners. It boils down to this; in an interview if you offend there is no chance you will get the job. Same with social interactions. I guess I just made a decision along the lines that I thought it would be nice to try and be a gentleman as much as possible, communicating my intentions of mutual respect. That is all it is.

Also, the example someone used in this thread about the child being suspended because of saying Merry Christmas. That was on ATS and was deemed a silly hoax.

Common sense respect and manners are good tools. If we politicise that then it will bring lots of problems. I don't politicise race or gender either. It is all genuine with me. It is not forced or done out of fear. It is done with good will and mutual respect and humanity.

I bet you would rather me say Cheers, Mate than

##################

I would rather say the former to you, every time.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

So you are saying he isn't speaking the way you think he should be?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Child suspended from school for saying "Merry Christmas"
Thats what we're talking about when we say "PC nut jobs"

It is this over reaction that is worrying because the public now tend to over react to every little thing. So Just in case one time someone says something that is offensive and they don't do anything about it, and 'people' are offended they now stop everything that a minority of people could find offensive to stop a negative back last..

But then they get it for being over PC public servants/sectors can't do right by anything.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

We are not animals who cannot control our emotions.

No, but apparently there are plenty of animals who still haven't learned the art of controlling their mouths.

"It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt." ~ Mark Twain

link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Promote freedom of speech? Like the freedom to call someone a racist for saying something racist?

They just don't grasp how PC they really are when they cry about that.

Hilarity.

Explain how that's PC ...

I was unaware there were PC terms for racist and bigot. I didn't realize that the politically correct crowd had created coy euphimisms to make the intended hurt and shame any less when they hurled them at someone.

What would they be I wonder ...

He's not racist. That's ethnically proud?

She's not bigoted. That's peer group centered?
edit on 15-12-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: ketsuko

In order to stop it, we need to stop mass shaming everyone...

Stop mass shaming racists homophobes and all other bigots?

No thanks.

They deserve to wear that shame in public if you ask me.

link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific it didn't happen.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

In order to stop it, we need to stop mass shaming everyone refuses to use the media approved terminology.

How do we do that then? Wishful thinking?

PS: I snipped the parts of your post I didn't care about and found irrelevant to what I'm asking. I mean #, do you guys HONESTLY think I don't know what political correctness is? Why the need to try to educate me on what you think it is?.

Because you're acting purposefully obtuse and making an issue out of it to avoid the discussion points we bring up?

NO! I asked a specific question in the OP and you and the other poster deflected and started talking about what is an isn't PC. You aren't bringing up discussion points, you are distracting from topic I presented in the OP.

In order to defang a thing like PC, you have to discuss why it exists, what it is and why so much power is put behind it. In other words, exactly the things you snip as "irrelevant."

If you were going to make that case, you should have said something like that initially as well as answered my question in the first post instead of waiting until I yelled at you two or three times to answer the question in the OP.

If you really aren't interested in getting rid of it but instead moaning about people who don't like it, perhaps this should have been a rant instead?

I actually know there is no way to get rid of it; I just want to see how conservatives think it can be gotten rid of. Consider it a way for me to help see things from the other side.
edit on 15-12-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: DBCowboy

So how is telling people they shouldnt be pc not dictating the message?

You are telling me I can't convey the message I want...

Nope. Place all the filters you want on what you say. I don't care.

But don't place YOUR filters on what I say.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on how to do away with Political Correctness.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

And?

Do you think before you type?..

If you don't know why you shouldn't just call someone racist when it possibly wasn't a racist statement, I'm lost for words...
edit on 15-12-2015 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I think people who rely on silly terms to convey information are retardos.

Retardos? Well that's not very politically correct of you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join